Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2011, 12:12   #61

Re: The truth about K & N Filters

Hi All

I dont know if this is the appropriate thread, however since the discussion was on K&N filter, I thought I will post it here. I left my car for service and I had a K&N filter, the service personnel called up saying there is to much dust in the filter. This will affect the engine and will damage it due to which the which the engine will come for overall very fast. He is advising that it should be remove. Can you please advise if this is true?
Old 11th July 2011, 12:14   #62
Team-BHP Support

K&N can be cleaned, so get a kit and clean it yourself or find an accessory shop that can do it for you.
Old 12th July 2011, 11:20   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
K&N can be cleaned, so get a kit and clean it yourself or find an accessory shop that can do it for you.
I had a chat with my service personal ( Kalyani motors, Mysore road, Bangalore) and they said that they have received a memo from Maruthi saying that there have been a lot of complaints received regarding K&N for diesel cars and hence they are advising the customers to get it removed.
Can you advise?
Old 12th July 2011, 11:40   #64
BHPian

I was recently recommended a filter (don't know which brand they were talking about) by my regular Maruti service station (am quite happy with them) for my Wagon R VXi May 2005 model. They said it'd improve pick-up and would cost me about Rs.3300. I have not seen them putting unnecessary expenses on me in the past 4-5 years. Can anyone suggest whether it is advisable to go for soemthing like that for Wagon R kind of a car?
Old 12th July 2011, 12:18   #65
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejavu View Post
I had a chat with my service personal ( Kalyani motors, Mysore road, Bangalore) and they said that they have received a memo from Maruthi saying that there have been a lot of complaints received regarding K&N for diesel cars and hence they are advising the customers to get it removed.
Can you advise?
I personally dont have much experience about K&N in diesel car. But my understanding is if they are maintained well (kept clean) should not cause any issues.

Unless the filter is not able to handle the turbo?? But then K&N would have considered this when they made a stock replacement filter.
Old 12th July 2011, 12:37   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejavu View Post
Can you advise?
I have used K&N filter for the DDiS for more than a year. It sucks in a lot of air and that shows in the performance too. But the bad part is that a lot of dust also goes in. So the filter gets clogged easily in a place like Bangalore. A trip on the ORR is enough! If the filter is clogged, the car will bog down. But don't wait for that.

Make sure to clean the filter and the Mass flow sensor once in a month for the optimum performance (Actually, the frequency of cleaning depends on the monthly mileage). Also, the engine will be little louder with the K&N. Cleaning is easy and can be a DIY. Else, Castrol pitstop does the cleaning for 250 bucks which I think can be easily saved. Make sure to dry the filter properly before fitting it back. Water in a Diesel engine can be disastrous. Also, when giving the car for regular service at MASS, instruct them to not touch the Air filter.

That said, in a dusty place like Bangalore, if one is not ready to clean the K&N on a regular basis, it is best to avoid it and retain the stock filter.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2011, 12:55   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

I think they may have been taken to the compensation counter by someone who's filter they destroyed during service,and want to avoid future scenarios by getting people to remove them, because.
1. One item from the cost sheet, and its labor is reduced.
2. Accidentally destroying the filter could make them liable for replacement.

other wise, why would one MS station say they have received a memo to ask people to remove them, and the other try to sell the same?
they could be trying to sell a stock replacement as that would not allow accidental damage during services....
Old 13th July 2011, 14:21   #68
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I was referring to increased suction from Turbo causing dust to get sucked in/block filter faster with dust sediments on top etc. Am not sure if there is a separate series for turbo charged engines from K&N?
It would not make a difference. The improved flow is marginal at peak rpm. Anything below peak rpm will never shift as much air as at peak rpm.

And again, all filters let pass dust particles. I personally have equipped hundreds of cars, which run for years with cotton gauze filters and the turbos did not fail apart from one batch of Garrett turbos, where all turbos went, whether original filter or aftermarket filter.

And again, why would Abarth sell thousands of SS kits with filter mediums that are 'proven' to damage the turbo or the engine?
CPH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2011, 20:59   #69
Team-BHP Support

Ok but could you confirm if there are turbo specific filters out there?
Old 30th March 2014, 00:21   #70
BHPian

I am sure many Bhpians are using K & N filter. Please share the experience particularly for diesel cars. Is it a real problem to maintain the k & n as it is said that the filter requires frequent cleaning. Some one has said that increased the engine sound. What are the tangible benefit s of using this filter. Does it really worth to go for one or it is better to stay away. I have heard that it increases the power & FE.
Old 30th March 2014, 08:55   #71
BHPian

Air intake to air filter should be placed in a cooler & dust free place. Lesser inlet air temp means more O2. Turbo engines are very sensitive to inlet air temp. Air filter’s structure should be strong in turbo engines. If a wrong Filter used it may sink or filter cloth may give away. More then plumbing, placing of sucking point is more important.
A bit of tip,
1.Never fit near radiator fan. 2.Totally avoid fitting near exhaust. Manifold.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks