Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2006, 13:28   #1
BHPian

Esteem camshafts

Hi, anyone using peformance cams for MPFI esteem ? if yes :
1] which brand ? and are you using the car for daily use ?
2] what's the duration,overlap in degrees etc,are they reground or new ?
3] are you still using OE valves and valve springs ?
4] any changes to the fuel and ignition system ?

just wanted to know if this can be done reliably ? and how many guys are running such engines ?
Old 31st July 2006, 13:52   #2
BHPian

Contact our own fellow bhpian Viper he had once installed performance camshaft in his esteem from Piper U.K Bp285 it was a regrind though with stock valve train, i am not sure weather it was Mpfi or carburatted.
Old 31st July 2006, 14:46   #3
Senior - BHPian

Am using one for our non MPFI Esteem:
Custom for dragging only, not for street
280+ Custom
No
Twin Webber DCOE's, with a custom ignition curve

However am aware of friends running 245's to 285's on other MPFI esteems and zens
Old 31st July 2006, 15:58   #4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetanhanda
Hi, anyone using peformance cams for MPFI esteem ? if yes :

just wanted to know if this can be done reliably ? and how many guys are running such engines ?

Hi,

I had been using Piper Cams on both my earlier Carb esteems. They were custom profiled to something near a BP 285 spec. They were reground at Piper as they do not have off the shelf cams for almost all Indian cars barring the few recent ones like Skodas etc which use the same engines as in europe.

Had used OE valves with double valve springs. I had used an MSD 6AL Ignition system complete with coil and plug wires. and a high pressure fuel pump.

Am currently running a custom profiled cam from Piper on my 2006 MPFI Getz.

All the cars modded were daily drives with power coming in as early as 1700-1800rpm.

Viper
Old 3rd August 2006, 03:02   #5
BHPian

gr8 ..we got some hardcore tuners out here ..

after reading your posts ..seems there is no reliable way to mod our cams..
even if i get a custom cam reground there would be now way to get the corresponding valve springs and valves right.. and the fuel pump and injectors would be even harder to find ...

so Viper/Psycho did you guys use some kind of a OBd2 scan tool to get the fuel trims,pulse width etc or wideband based AFR readings to come to a conclusion ...to recalibrate the ignition timings and the fuel pressure
..I just wanted to how u guys manage to do such stuff ?

By the way did you guys do the degreeing yourself or gave it to some tuner ?
Old 3rd August 2006, 13:54   #6
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetanhanda
gr8 ..we got some hardcore tuners out here ..
Ahem ahem .. I guess psycho likes to be called a "hobbiest" instead .. Right kesh ?? Sorry couldnt resist this post .. Getting back to cams now , from what i had researched and psycho's advise its best not to go for any profile more than 265 for street use unless u like ur car to idle like a tractor .. That said , is the cam design on the swifts and the esteems the same ??
Old 3rd August 2006, 14:17   #7
BHPian

hey guys....a friend of mine "says" he's running baleno cams on his esteem...so......it is a done thing???does it increase performance????
btw his car his fast...came 1st in mumbai speed run.....mihir dharkar
Old 3rd August 2006, 15:47   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diven_b
hey guys....a friend of mine "says" he's running baleno cams on his esteem...so......it is a done thing???does it increase performance????
btw his car his fast...came 1st in mumbai speed run.....mihir dharkar

A Baleno cam has an extended socket for the cam sensor which does not fit into the esteem as it has a distributor setup compared to the DIS unit of the baleno. For the baleno cam to fit into the esteem, you need to machine off the extended part off the cam and then only it will fit. Note: only a qualified person will be able to do it. Also the baleno and esteem cam specs are the same. They differ by probably 2 degree.
Old 3rd August 2006, 16:10   #9
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by z klasse
A Baleno cam has an extended socket for the cam sensor which does not fit into the esteem as it has a distributor setup compared to the DIS unit of the baleno. For the baleno cam to fit into the esteem, you need to machine off the extended part off the cam and then only it will fit. Note: only a qualified person will be able to do it. Also the baleno and esteem cam specs are the same. They differ by probably 2 degree.
While most of what u said is true .. Using the baleno's cam (which is distributorless ignition type) to fit on the esteem is quite a hassle worth avoiding .. However im not quite sure if the difference between the esteem and the baleno cams is just 2 degrees apart .. Its much more than that or so im told .. However the swifts and the esteems are just about 3 degrees apart .. Also since the baleno runs a lower profile cam than the esteem or the swifts beats me to it asto why would anyone want to replace it with it ..

Is mihir back to driving ?? I heard he has sustained a few injuries sometime back ..
Old 3rd August 2006, 19:18   #10
BHPian

Hi Chetan

You might want to check out the following link

http://electraperformance.com/camshaft.htm

for further details contact Krupesh patel - 98840 49268
Old 3rd August 2006, 20:24   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
While most of what u said is true .. Using the baleno's cam (which is distributorless ignition type) to fit on the esteem is quite a hassle worth avoiding .. However im not quite sure if the difference between the esteem and the baleno cams is just 2 degrees apart .. Its much more than that or so im told .. However the swifts and the esteems are just about 3 degrees apart .. Also since the baleno runs a lower profile cam than the esteem or the swifts beats me to it asto why would anyone want to replace it with it ..
I do not know about the swifts but I do know that the baleno cam and esteem cam is approx 2 degree apart. Yes it is avoidable to do the swap. You rather get a cam regrinded or get one from someone who has made it. The cams are almost identical. Also depends on what engine mods you have and what sort of driving you want the cam for. Then you can get a cam redone and put it on.
Old 3rd August 2006, 20:42   #12
BANNED

Quote:
I do not know about the swifts but I do know that the baleno cam and esteem cam is approx 2 degree apart. Yes it is avoidable to do the swap. You rather get a cam regrinded or get one from someone who has made it. The cams are almost identical. Also depends on what engine mods you have and what sort of driving you want the cam for. Then you can get a cam redone and put it on.

Hey,

As per Maruti Udyog there are other differences in the camshafts besides the extended socket. Its a diff ball game if you have a completed modded ride and your tuner is experimenting and has struck gold. Like you rightly said needs a qualified guy to do the job and a good tuner to get the timings right.

Viper
Old 3rd August 2006, 22:07   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper
Hey,

As per Maruti Udyog there are other differences in the camshafts besides the extended socket. Its a diff ball game if you have a completed modded ride and your tuner is experimenting and has struck gold. Like you rightly said needs a qualified guy to do the job and a good tuner to get the timings right.

Viper
Off topic but Maruti Udyog and all their service mechanics dont know much than the basic service of the car. If you ask them technical data such as cams and cam gears being the same throughout the range of the cars they dont know. I mean they arent supposed to know more than their service basics but even there are alot of parts that are used across most of the maruti range, some I know of are cam gears, throttle body, IAC, clutch etc... Some of these components are same for a few of the maruti cars.
Old 4th August 2006, 08:21   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Off topic but Maruti Udyog and all their service mechanics dont know much than the basic service of the car. If you ask them technical data such as cams and cam gears being the same throughout the range of the cars they dont know. I mean they arent supposed to know more than their service basics but even there are alot of parts that are used across most of the maruti range, some I know of are cam gears, throttle body, IAC, clutch etc... Some of these components are same for a few of the maruti cars.

Hi,

I agree with your view point on Maruti service mechanics but would tend to disagree on your comments on the common parts. I know for a fact that the clutch, throttle body is definately different for almost all models save a few. In any case I think we are going off topic.

Lets not hijack this thread. At the end it is a learning experience for all of us here and lets share and part with whatever info we have so that the Tbhp members can benefit from them.

Viper
Old 4th August 2006, 09:37   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper
Hi,

I know for a fact that the clutch, throttle body is definately different for almost all models save a few. In any case I think we are going off topic.

Viper
Well I know of this as I have used the 1, 1.3 and the 1.6 litre engines and have used common parts for 1 and 1.3 and some for the 1.6. Anyways lets not go off topic... For a cam you need to know what sort of engine modification is done then only you can get a cam for it. For Suzuki's that is. For Honda's, Mitsubishi's you get most parts which are tried and tested. But for some Suzuki cars you have to make as per your spec. Another requirement is that its good to have an adjustable cam gear.

Last edited by z klasse : 4th August 2006 at 09:38.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks