Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2014, 17:00   #31
BHPian

Re: F1-style flashing LED Brake Lights: Are they legal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
They are dazzling, try following one especially on a rainy night
Exactly. This light will be insanely difficult to coup up with during rains, as it adds so much of reflection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
There are two confusing sides to this safety aspect : Some car owners install these flashing LEDs so that other road users can notice the flashes and become more alert about the vehicle they are approaching.
Karthik, I'm sure at least 95% of the people who have installed this strobe light, has done it just for the enhanced styling or cool factor, but not on the safety grounds. We already have a third brake light inside the rear windshield or on the spoiler(if present). That would serve the purpose. I guess all the recent cars have one in it.

This flashing strobe light is a total distraction, nevertheless, it looks cool. I would certainly stay away from it though I would like to have one on my car. Simply because, when I see somebody's tail flashing, I know how irritating it is to follow.
mksureshhere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th June 2014, 12:19   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
In the recent days, I seem to be seeing more and more cars on the road sporting F1-style LED flashing lights wired to the brakelamps at the rear. (images below)

needed.
Thanks for the post. How costly are they? Are they from many brands or just one brand that has flooded the market?
An year back I had been charmed by one such light on a Ritz, but now its a common fad!
May be it makes more sense to have such lights facing down on the ROAD- near the axle in LCV's and trucks as most of the tail lights of long haul trucks are not working or damaged by vandalism! The glow that comes from them could save somebody from crashing head on!
gopa99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2014, 17:51   #33
BHPian

Cool thing to have, but if this becomes a trend, we will be facing a blinding beam not only from on-coming traffic but from the car we follow too.
nim_peter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2014, 14:29   #34
BHPian

I had installed the strobe LED's in my spoiler (DIY). The controller itself has several selectable modes. I have chosen the one where the LED's strobe rapidly and then become solid ...

I hope they're not too distracting ..
ZBlue is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2014, 14:57   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBlue View Post
I had installed the strobe LED's in my spoiler (DIY). The controller itself has several selectable modes. I have chosen the one where the LED's strobe rapidly and then become solid ...

Maybe you can enable them to do so if you stop suddenly ? I think even some Harleys have this flash and solidify.
Old 27th June 2014, 15:45   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBlue View Post

This reminded me of the evolution of tube lights. First, we had ordinary chokes which meant the tube would blink a few times before lighting up. Then we moved on to electronic chokes that immediately turned the tube on. Now the general trend is going retro and go back to the old times.

Last edited by bblost : 27th June 2014 at 15:57. Reason: removed embedded video
zenren is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th June 2014, 10:32   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Forget the cabs running with dazzling lights or these LED Flashing lights, I have seen autos running around with these lights. I will capture a picture next time I find these.

They are dazzling and cause unnecessary divertion of attention of the other drivers.
These autos now a days try all sorts of modding.Last day I saw an auto, the ape diesel ,with projector headlights fitted to headlamp assembly.!I think he has used the ones for bikes.
Old 29th June 2014, 11:17   #38
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilntny View Post

These autos now a days try all sorts of modding.Last day I saw an auto, the ape diesel ,with projector headlights fitted to headlamp assembly.!I think he has used the ones for bikes.
We all can be ranting countless but unless there are strict laws that are implemented and all offenders fined will this ruckus not end.

Other issue observed:

Volvo buses have 3 headlights on each side IMO and a fog light on each which totals it to 8 lights BUT these guys are not happy with that illumination so they go ahead to fix another 2 auxiliary lamps in between the fog lights.

Now the point that hurts me is when the bus is tailgating me closely, those 10 headlamps come into my sight as 30 headlamps since each (Left ORVM + IRVM + Right ORVM). On top of that the impatient honking like music beats me to the core.

What can we do of such drivers?

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2014, 11:36   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

What can we do of such drivers?

Anurag.
Simple. You see a bright set of lights in your rear view mirror, switch lanes and let him by.

You reminded me of a Volvo journey I did long ago from Bangalore to hyderabad sitting just behind the driver on the floor (Sitting in my seat was making me sick.) and I was amazed at the illumination from the stock head lights. It was perfect. Absolutely no need for any more lights, but then without a legal prohibition, every driver would want the Sun as their headlight.

MaSh
mashmash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2014, 11:38   #40
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post

Simple. You see a bright set of lights in your rear view mirror, switch lanes and let him by.
I am overtaking a heavy vehicle and these guys tail gate. No patience to wait till my maneuver is completed. Hence I have to beat the torture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
Every driver would want the Sun as their headlight.
Lol.

Anurag.
Old 6th August 2014, 13:11   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
, I find them very distracting and imagine what our cab fellows would do to these lights, probably have one in rainbow colors at four corners of the vehicle.

So, what I feared has come true. I see a LOT of cabs (Indica, SUMO, TT, Airport cabs) with these tail lights and not one but two and sometimes more than two and more often than not in rainbow colors. I had the unfortunate opportunity of getting stuck behind one such airport cab during one rainy night and I faced the full fury of these lights. Believe me, driving against someone with a high beam on towards you is MUCH MUCH easier than driving behind a cabbie with these lights on.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks