Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2016, 15:42   #166
BHPian

Re: Magnetic Sun Shades for windows - An alternative to sunfilm?

As Vishwanathan has said in his post, you're good to go if you buy good quality shades. I have been using these on 3 of my cars for the past two months now. Yet to get one for the Grande Punto. No issues with paint scraping or otherwise. When you go looking for these, bend the steel wire of the frame with mild pressure, if it gives way easily, look for another set. The frame must be rigid and the fabric around it thick. There are lot of cheap and low quality shades being sold at car accessory shops. I paid Rs.850 for each.
Old 31st March 2016, 16:19   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
folks using magnetic sunshades
how convenient is it when dealing with toll booths etc - I have to deal with a couple of them every day, and was wondering how convenient it was with these attatched ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagpatel View Post
I wont recommend using magnetic sunshades.
I had it on my yeti for 2 weeks before taking them off.
Reason being the magnets scratch the paint and will eventually result in rust where the paint is peeled off. Thankfully i got them off just at the correct time.

Regarding your question, some of the magnetic sunshades come with zipper for the front windows so you can unzip and pay toll conveniently.
I have the magnetic sun shades on my Punto. There is no issue of paint peeling of since the magnets are enclosed within the sun shade cloth and attached to the flexible steel embedded inside. They fix very easily and come off easily too.

The only pain I see is while passing through tolls and they need to be removed for the same. The newer ones which come with zipper may be the solution for the issue. The only other issue is storage of the shades since they cannot be folded and have to kept straight or else will lose their shape. I use the shades for 3 months in a year and during long trips only. All other time it is stored in my house.
Old 2nd April 2016, 09:34   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
Which shade brand is this? Did you get them online?

The brand is ABLE SPIDER got it from a store in Mumbai
hvishwanathan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2016, 14:22   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvishwanathan View Post
The brand is ABLE SPIDER got it from a store in Mumbai
Hi hvishwanathan.
Thanks a lot.
I looked offline and only found low quality ones.
Searched for able brand online. But could not locate the exact one. Too many options and prices within able itself- zippered/ zed/ half/ etc.

Can you please help suggest the right one among these
Car: Innova
http://www.snapdeal.com/product/able...c/621002111286
http://www.snapdeal.com/product/able...n/661466586380
http://www.snapdeal.com/product/able...c/680581182939

On flipkart:
http://www.flipkart.com/automotive/a...ilterNone=true

Also: Is there anything available for front and rear glass?- needed for long duration parking in the sun. Body cover is not an option

Last edited by vikramvicky1984 : 18th April 2016 at 14:25.
Old 23rd April 2016, 12:58   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramvicky1984 View Post
Hi hvishwanathan.
Thanks a lot.
I looked offline and only found low quality ones.
Searched for able brand online. But could not locate the exact one. Too many options and prices within able itself- zippered/ zed/ half/ etc.

Can you please help suggest the right one among these
Car: Innova
http://www.snapdeal.com/product/able...c/621002111286
http://www.snapdeal.com/product/able...n/661466586380
http://www.snapdeal.com/product/able...c/680581182939

On flipkart:
http://www.flipkart.com/automotive/a...ilterNone=true

Also: Is there anything available for front and rear glass?- needed for long duration parking in the sun. Body cover is not an option
Hi Vikram

I went through all the links shared by you and they look like a full length shades without a cut in the front window shades to enable paying tolls without removing the sun shade.

Look at the snaps i am sharing. you will understand what the full and half shades look like. For the rear, what I have in my i10 is a roller type pull up shade which is fixed in the parcel tray. you have standard sizes for hatch back , sedan and SUV's in India. For the fortuner, I got a 7 piece set of magnetic shades . So the rear shade is exactly like how it is in the side mirrors.

Do let me know if you need anything else

Regards,
Vish
Attached Thumbnails
Magnetic Sun Shades for windows - An alternative to sunfilm?-carbackcurtain..jpg  

Magnetic Sun Shades for windows - An alternative to sunfilm?-full-shade.jpg  

Magnetic Sun Shades for windows - An alternative to sunfilm?-half-shade.jpg  

hvishwanathan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2016, 13:18   #171
Senior - BHPian

I must say I use those suction sun shades for the Windows. Cost me 100 bucks for a set of 4 in Mysore on the road side. Not super great quality or sun blocking but works reasonably well and for that price it does a decent enough job. Plus no risk of any damage to body by magnets or to Windows with those types that clip in. Small enough to let me see out through the front for the rear view mirror as well. Don't use one for the driver side but the other three
Old 23rd April 2016, 13:27   #172
BHPian

@vikramvicky1984, @hvishwanathan, I have found these online on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.in/s/ref=nb_sb_nos...ds=able+spider
Old 23rd April 2016, 18:49   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Hi

As I mentioned in my earlier post, these links show you pictures of shades where you cannot make out whether it has a cut out for paying tolls. Best way is to call and find the vendor who has listed it online or to get it from a nearby shop where you can check it yourself before purchase

I am also enclosing few pictures of the rear parcel shelf rollup shade for your reference
Attached Thumbnails
Magnetic Sun Shades for windows - An alternative to sunfilm?-cp038366rearwindowparcelshelfdecksunshadescreen9805vwpassatsunshade.jpg  

Magnetic Sun Shades for windows - An alternative to sunfilm?-rear-shade-rollup.jpg  

Magnetic Sun Shades for windows - An alternative to sunfilm?-shelf-shade-up.jpg  

Last edited by hvishwanathan : 23rd April 2016 at 19:10. Reason: Adding content
hvishwanathan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2016, 11:03   #174
BHPian

Thanks a lot hvishwanathan
I ordered a set from flipkart for innova. Will share feedback once it arrives
If it goes well will also order for i10 and ecosport.

http://www.flipkart.com/able-spider-...DEGJGZZ3HHC9R8

Still looking for something for rear( could not find the 7 piece set anywhere)
and also something for front windshield.

I do not need to pay tolls and my major concern is parking in extreme sun- damage to interiors. I am okay with driving without curtains. ( I have light llumar sunfilm).

Currently I am using khadi white gamchas to cover all glasses ( ends locked with doors)- looks very funny. Can't use covers as its often public parking during the day.

Last edited by vikramvicky1984 : 27th April 2016 at 11:06.
Old 11th May 2016, 19:19   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramvicky1984 View Post
Thanks a lot hvishwanathan
I ordered a set from flipkart for innova. Will share feedback once it arrives
If it goes well will also order for i10 and ecosport.

http://www.flipkart.com/able-spider-agnetic-car-curtains-392-sun-shade-toyota-innova/p/itmegjgzpjz6gqfy?pid=SUDEGJGZZ3HHC9R8
How are you finding the shades?
I got the Able Spider shades for my Scorpio and the build quality is good. However the fitting is iffy.

Is this normal?

Magnetic Sun Shades for windows - An alternative to sunfilm?-1.jpg
Magnetic Sun Shades for windows - An alternative to sunfilm?-2.jpg
Magnetic Sun Shades for windows - An alternative to sunfilm?-3.jpg
Old 12th May 2016, 18:46   #176
BHPian

Just a question - while using the magnetic ones in my car, I was stopped in Chandigarh by the cops at a traffic signal. As per them nets or any such material which stops visibility is not allowed as per law. They were hell bent on putting a fine but after a lot of discussion which involved asking them to show me legal proof that removable nets aren't allowed, they let me go. Anyone else faced such an issue? I have never faced this problem in Delhi but Chandigarh is another issue altogether.
Old 13th May 2016, 07:35   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by storme'd View Post
I have never faced this problem in Delhi but Chandigarh is another issue altogether.
AFAIK, the law says that nothing should be stuck to the window glass (as in the case of sun-film), and that factory tint is allowed, provided it allows so much % of visibility. Therefore, I don't think the magnetic shades are illegal (at least as of now).

Chandigarh cops are a different matter altogether. In my experience, they are worse than even Bangalore cops when it comes to harassing people, especially if they see an out-of-state number plate.
Old 13th May 2016, 08:54   #178
BHPian

Well guys - any replies on my question? Is it normal for the fitting to be so-so.
Old 13th May 2016, 09:21   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well guys - any replies on my question? Is it normal for the fitting to be so-so.
timuseravan

I have no experience with the Scorpio, but having seen decent quality magnetic sun shades on other cars (Sunny, Etios), the ones you have don't seem to fit well. I think it is a design flaw.
Viju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2016, 12:12   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I have the magnetic sun shades on my Punto. There is no issue of paint peeling of since the magnets are enclosed within the sun shade cloth and attached to the flexible steel embedded inside. They fix very easily and come off easily too.

The only pain I see is while passing through tolls and they need to be removed for the same. The newer ones which come with zipper may be the solution for the issue. The only other issue is storage of the shades since they cannot be folded and have to kept straight or else will lose their shape. I use the shades for 3 months in a year and during long trips only. All other time it is stored in my house.
I got one from Amazon with the zipper in both the front windows for my Kolkata trip. They really does the job well and yes the zipper helps in paying the tolls without having to remove the shades. @Nkrishnap has a new design one for the front windows, it allows a clear view of the ORVMs. You can check it in his ownership thread.

Most Viewed