Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2013, 13:57   #811
BHPian

re: The 'Wiper Blade' Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
However, after installing these Hellas, I was surprised that there seems to be no lock mechanism at all to hold the wipers in place after you hook them to the wiper arms! Am I missing something? I'm very concerned that if the wipers somehow come off esp. if someone tinkers a bit with them, the wipers may come off mid operation and if that happens, the windscreen is a goner.

The 20" wipers came with one adaptor/clip and the 18" came with 2, as can be seen in the small poly bag in the pic. Are these by any chance used for locking the wipers in place? The instructions on the Hella box are hidden by size stickers, so no help there.

Someone who has used these basic Hella wipers, please help!
Is yours the pin type or the clip type connector? Mine is the pin type. Initially I tried installing them without the connectors, and passenger side one (19") fit perfectly. The other one (24") was loose on the pin because the diameter of the hole on the wiper is slightly more than the diameter of the pin.

I was puzzled for a while but I read the instructions: you have to fix the connector to the wiper and then push the pin into it. The connection becomes tight with that. I can try and get a pic of the instructions if this is not clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
I'v repeatedly observced that Bluedart is relatively the best at delivering consignments with relatively the least manhandling.
Bluedart is a pain for me because they have to deliver the package to the addressee directly or someone else in the house. They do not leave the package with the guard if the house is locked. Since I stay alone, it has happened 2-3 times that I've had to go to the BD office and collect my shipment.
Old 25th June 2013, 14:09   #812
BHPian

I am trying to find a replacement for my 12" rear wiper of i10. I searched online and most stores do not stock it. At least the rubber replacement would do for a while.

Any pointers please.
Old 25th June 2013, 15:41   #813
BHPian

The rear wiper of the FIGO is priced at 800 at the service center .

I had changed them a year back got one for 200 or 300 something however the issue is it does not stick to the glass and also does not wipe properly.

Any idea why are they so expensive?
Old 25th June 2013, 16:50   #814
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEye View Post
Is yours the pin type or the clip type connector? Mine is the pin type. Initially I tried installing them without the connectors, and passenger side one (19") fit perfectly. The other one (24") was loose on the pin because the diameter of the hole on the wiper is slightly more than the diameter of the pin.

I was puzzled for a while but I read the instructions: you have to fix the connector to the wiper and then push the pin into it. The connection becomes tight with that. I can try and get a pic of the instructions if this is not clear.

Bluedart is a pain for me because they have to deliver the package to the addressee directly or someone else in the house. They do not leave the package with the guard if the house is locked. Since I stay alone, it has happened 2-3 times that I've had to go to the BD office and collect my shipment.
My car has the hook type arm. Any ideas? I still can't believe there isn't any lock mechanism! If it does come off, the wiper arm will grind the windscreen...

I'd still prefer Bosch over Hella. If only they were available online. The Hellas have some small cosmetic imperfections too. Yet to check out the performance. But they are fairly silent too... the difference in noise between the GM/Aero/whatever wipers and basic Hellas is minimal, if at all.

Too bad Bluedart does not work for you. I had a different issue with them - anything delivered thru them used to attract Octroi... even if the product was priced Rs. 50 - 100. They have even produced an Octroi bill of approx Rs. 60 or so, for a product costing less than Rs. 100! In fact I'd stopped buying a lot of things online due to this. But now with the monstrous Octroi gone, BD is probably the best option as its usually the fastest and delivers consignments with RELATIVELY less manhandling.

Last edited by Raccoon : 25th June 2013 at 16:54.
Old 25th June 2013, 17:34   #815
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
The rear wiper of the FIGO is priced at 800 at the service center .

I had changed them a year back got one for 200 or 300 something however the issue is it does not stick to the glass and also does not wipe properly.

Any idea why are they so expensive?
Sumathindra,

OEM Products are always expensive in the Authorised Service Centres . Try using Bosch wipers which can be bought from the authorised Bosch dealers , if you can't find one , let me know i will send the details. i have been using Bosch for the last 4 years , no issues so far !!

Regds
Ra

Last edited by vraghuz : 25th June 2013 at 17:36.
Old 25th June 2013, 18:39   #816
Senior - BHPian

I got Hella on my Santro Xing & must compliment the quality of the product . They do the desired job without fuss (noise) & leave no mark on the windscreen. Plan to upgrade the rear wiper to same make.
Old 25th June 2013, 18:47   #817
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vraghuz View Post
Sumathindra,

OEM Products are always expensive in the Authorised Service Centres . Try using Bosch wipers which can be bought from the authorised Bosch dealers , if you can't find one , let me know i will send the details. i have been using Bosch for the last 4 years , no issues so far !!

Regds
Ra
I understand however such variance? One more issue with the non OEM wipers for the rear glass. They are a few mm thick which does not make the blade stick to the glass resulting in improper wiping! With the rains coming I have to get the rear one fixed.

Please give me the contacts from where I can get the Bosch wipers. Any near Jayanagar?
Old 26th June 2013, 11:45   #818
BHPian

Quote:
I understand however such variance? One more issue with the non OEM wipers for the rear glass. They are a few mm thick which does not make the blade stick to the glass resulting in improper wiping! With the rains coming I have to get the rear one fixed.

Please give me the contacts from where I can get the Bosch wipers. Any near Jayanagar?
In this case, will it be a good idea to retain the OE blade but change only the rubber ?

I agree on the atrocious prices. For i10, it is priced at 675/-
Old 26th June 2013, 11:59   #819
BHPian

Quote:

The best thing is to get them online - no hassles and genuine product. I have purchased my Hellas from vicky.in, you can also try that. Snapdeal.com is also good as per many people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by para_7k View Post

In this case, will it be a good idea to retain the OE blade but change only the rubber ?

I agree on the atrocious prices. For i10, it is priced at 675/-
You can try and get the rubber fitted separately. For 24" that costs around 500 rupees. So maybe for your 12" ones it will cost 250 rupees.

The rear wipers are not generally available outside the A.S.S. because their connectors are different for different cars unlike the front wipers. So if you want to replace the blade you will have to bear the cost.
Old 26th June 2013, 12:54   #820
BHPian

Quote:
The best thing is to get them online - no hassles and genuine product. I have purchased my Hellas from vicky.in, you can also try that. Snapdeal.com is also good as per many people.

You can try and get the rubber fitted separately. For 24" that costs around 500 rupees. So maybe for your 12" ones it will cost 250 rupees.

The rear wipers are not generally available outside the A.S.S. because their connectors are different for different cars unlike the front wipers. So if you want to replace the blade you will have to bear the cost.
Eagle Eye,

I don't know if you get the rubber seperately , as for a Bosch 20" Wiper pair , it will cost around Rs. 350.00 . does it make sense to change only the rubber ?

Bosch makes almost 95% of the wipers of the cars in Indian Marker , Front and Rear. the only issue is you need to find the genuine Bosch dealer who deals with these and you can get it .

Regds
Ra.
Old 26th June 2013, 22:03   #821
BHPian

Does it make sense to get Bosch Clear Advantage from abroad for 1200INR or buy Bosch Aero Twin here in India for 2200INR?

This is for the civic (26" D - 24" P)
Old 27th June 2013, 13:41   #822
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by para_7k View Post
I am trying to find a replacement for my 12" rear wiper of i10. I searched online and most stores do not stock it. At least the rubber replacement would do for a while.

Any pointers please.
Quote:
See this post:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3161584
This is for i20, and he says that A.S.S does not provide the wiper blades separately but only who wiper arm. If that's the case it would be better to source the rubber and fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post
Does it make sense to get Bosch Clear Advantage from abroad for 1200INR or buy Bosch Aero Twin here in India for 2200INR?

This is for the civic (26" D - 24" P)
Due to the longer shipping time and the associated customs issues, I personally wouldn't purchase something as mundane as wipers from abroad.
If you don't want to spend the extra 1000, I suggest you get a pair of Hellas that perform pretty much the same but cost much less.
EagleEye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2013, 14:24   #823
BHPian

Quote:
Due to the longer shipping time and the associated customs issues, I personally wouldn't purchase something as mundane as wipers from abroad.
If you don't want to spend the extra 1000, I suggest you get a pair of Hellas that perform pretty much the same but cost much less.
Someone I know is coming from US on August 1st. Then does it make sense?
Difference between hella and Bosch is a mere 400 rs. Which one is better?

Is Clear Advantage better than Aero Twin?
Old 27th June 2013, 14:59   #824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhagathmp View Post
Have been thinking of replacing the blades on the safari for a week or two now. The wipers themselves were wiping clean in heavy rain, but used to make wild noise and jumps around during light showers leaving light streaks on its way back. So thought of replacing them anyway.

Read mixed reviews about Bosh / Hella etc. I have used Bosh on my previous Safari so I knew the quality. wanted to try out something new this time around. Chanced up on the mention of GM wiper blades available thru Auto Ternds website. Saw they had the 24", 20" and 13" available for Safari. Ordered them. Thinking of it now, I should only have ordered the 24 and 20 as the rear did not need any replacement at all. The 24" and 20" came in a pair and cost INR 299, while the 13" cost INR 199. It was shipped free thru First Flight.

Placed the order on 16th June. Received confirmation of order the same day. Couple of days went by without any update as to what’s happening to my shipment. On 19th get an e-mail that the payment received and order will be shipped out soon. 20th get the e-mail along with the First Flight Order Tracking number. I log onto the website only to find nothing more than tracking number listed. No details about pick up, transit or anything. I sent an e-mail off to AutoTrends guys about missing shipment / non delivery. No one bothered to ack or reply. However on 21st I did receive the package. Till date I have not received any reply to the e-mail I had sent!

Was a bit anxious when the package was delivered. The cardboard box was wrapped in plastic sheet and a brown packing tape ran in spiral along the length of the box. There were no scuff marks, tears or anything visible on the outer shell, but the middle flexed as if the contents inside was broken in half.

The packaging and the crumpled middle zone .

Attachment 1102039
Attachment 1102040
Attachment 1102041

The box had no further protection on the inside either. The three blades were individually packed in plastic bags. The 24" and 20" had a hard plastic covering around the rubber blades themselves. The 13" didn’t have any.

Attachment 1102036
Attachment 1102037

Fairly simple process to fix on to the wiper arm itself. Funny thing - it stopped raining here in Trivandrum during the morning over the last two days. So have not tested it fully. Trial run using the windshield wash seems to indicate all is fine. The blades do touch 100% on the glass surface. Will reserve comments about longevity and quality for some time until it’s tested properly in full rain (day and night).

Regards
Bhagath M P
I have ordered GM last week and got them, they are performing well, I bought Hella Dynaedge for Safari last year but there was squeeking noise after sometime and i had to replace them with bosch.
Old 27th June 2013, 15:01   #825
BHPian

Quote:
See this post:

This is for i20, and he says that A.S.S does not provide the wiper blades separately but only who wiper arm. If that's the case it would be better to source the rubber and fix it.
Thanks EagleEye. Is it ok to buy a 12:" universal blade, take off the rubber from it and then fix it on my rear wiper ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks