Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2016, 21:03   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Importance of a Car Cover in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhead View Post
Any special thread needed for this? Not sure if the regular household thread used for clothes would work?
Regular Coats brand - preferably with some % of synthetic yarn. By the way , the solution worked for over a year - but repeated attacks by monkeys shredded the cover beyond repair - and I had to buy a new one.
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 08:48   #62
BHPian

Hi,

A thicker thread is useful. Just ask for a thread used for denims. Or you could ask for a polyester thread with tex 40.
Sorry if it's too late a response.

Best,
RaviCAR
Old 20th May 2021, 09:34   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Had a question about using a car cover in the monsoons, is it better to cover the car during the rain or not? Also, once it stops raining is it better to remove the cover and let it dry, or just let it dry on the car itself?

In Bangalore, the car is usually parked under covered parking, so never have to use the car cover. However I'm at a coastal area now and the car is going to be parked out in the open. Because of the lockdown, looks like I'll be here for the initial part of the monsoon. Car is going to be used very rarely during this time, maybe once or twice a week.

(Thanks in advance for any replies.)

Last edited by am1m : 20th May 2021 at 09:46.
Old 20th May 2021, 12:57   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
.. question about using a car cover in the monsoons, is it better to cover the car during the rain or not? Also, once it stops raining is it better to remove the cover and let it dry, or just let it dry on the car itself? ....
Based on my experience in different locations (Madras, Bombay, Pune, Calicut etc.) -

1. If you want to use cover during monsoon, it should be as much water-proof as possible. Wet cover sticks to the car and creates more problems. Interiors start smelling if cover is left on for long.

2. Letting the cover dry without removing it (for longer duration), makes the car dirtier. Given an option, I preferred to remove the cover when it was semi-dry and cleaned the car, open the doors for letting in air and dry out the cover inside out.
vrprabhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2021, 19:39   #65
BHPian

My car, a Mahindra Marazzo is parked in our porch which is covered on the top but is exposed on the left, right and rear. The rear is just inside the roof but during summer the rear is exposed to the sun for about 3-4 hours during midday. Now that it's been raining quite frequently in Kerala now, the rear gets wet too. The car isn't used much and now due to the Covid situation it's permanently in there parked. Every week i take it out for a short drive and that's all the run it gets since a while. My dad is very much keen on keeping it covered as he's worried the sun and the rain might destroy the paint. I'm worried putting in the cover and taking out every week might damage the paint. Also i read in an article that it's better to leave cars in porch uncovered. What's your opinion on this guys. The other day when i opened the car after a week there was a stale smell inside too so i think it's better to open and air out every week right. I'm open to opinions. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
The Importance of a Car Cover in India-05012021kg200009.jpg  

Old 10th October 2021, 17:23   #66
BHPian

Any leads on where one can get a Satin Cover for a car or anyone who can make one? I want those stretchable kind of fabrics that can cover the car. Thanks!
Old 5th December 2021, 03:27   #67
BHPian

Hi Everyone,

I park the car in an open parking and cover it religiously. I use the roll up and roll down method to cover and uncover the car and put the cover in the trunk since there is nothing in there and I cannot keep the cover outside in the open (parking is at a distance from my home).

Now in winters, whenever I need to go out in the morning around 7 or 8 am, there are water droplets due to fog, I use a cloth to absorb that water first then roll up the cover and I put it in the trunk.

But when it's time to cover the car after a short trip, the car cover still moist/wet (since it's in the trunk) get dirty due to the dust which was already on the cover prior the fog.

It becomes really difficult to cover the car with that dirty, moist/wet cover making sure that it doesn't scratch but I know it is scratching but can't help it as I do it by myself only.

Can you please help me on this, I need some suggestions to handle it better. Getting it washed weekly is not possible and I don't think is good for the cover as well.
Old 24th April 2023, 18:49   #68

I have a Tata Safari with ceramic coat and is more than 2 months old. Along with the car I also got a car cover from Tata Genuine Accessory. I had not used the cover all these days.

Now, I am going out of town for a month and I have parked my car indoor under full shade. But the space is open and prone to lot of dust. The indoor temperature in this summer may reach up to 40șC.

The instruction on the car cover says not to use in high temperatures. I do not understand this instruction. Can someone please help me understand?

1. How much is considered as high? Is 40șC high?
2. Is that applicable to cars parked in shade where the temperature is high?

Please help
Old 9th September 2023, 07:35   #69
BHPian

I bought a xl6 last week. My usage of car is limited to only weekends. But I do have a covered car park. But still one week of not touching it will obviously cause dust. In this case is it better to cover it or just use a jopasu whenever am taking it?
Old 9th September 2023, 07:58   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyb4u View Post
In this case is it better to cover it or just use a jopasu whenever am taking it?
Jopasu is a good option for daily cleaning of small amount of fine dust. I am having one since 2013 but I would never use it on my car anymore. The threads need to be rejuvenated (which many people dont) and there is a particular way of cleaning dust using these dusters which I have seen people neglect (I have also used Jopasu with force).

See this video from 4:00min to 5:30min. The 90 seconds clip explains how gentle one needs to be to avoid swirls.

For someone like you who has a covered parking, a car cover is a much better alternative. The only issue is that removing and putting the cover on a large car such as XL6 starts to feel like a headache over time.
PaddleShifter is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th September 2023, 17:56   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
... there is a particular way of cleaning dust using these dusters which I have seen people neglect (I have also used Jopasu with force).

See this video from 4:00min to 5:30min. The 90 seconds clip explains how gentle one needs to be to avoid swirls. ...

... a car cover is a much better alternative. The only issue is that removing and putting the cover on a large car such as XL6 starts to feel like a headache over time.

Yes, the right technique with a Jopasu is not to even let the weight of the brush itself fall on the car!

I am too lazy to rejuvenate, even though I have their wax on the shelf. Actually the brush is fine when it looks pretty black, but I replace every year or two. That's affordable.

A car cover is good, but always some dust will get inside. My tps cover is completely "saturated" with dust --- but it took several years to get that way. One day, I'll get around to beating/vacuuming it out. Until then, there is Jopasu.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 9th September 2023 at 17:59.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2023, 10:50   #72
BHPian

I have got the Coverwell cover for the XL6, while the cover quality seems OK, it is definitely not snug. Also, the antenna is at the rear, but they gave the opening at the front. Over all disappointed.
Attached Thumbnails
The Importance of a Car Cover in India-ec2751b8b3554d1baa94e4d652e8fba9.jpeg  

The Importance of a Car Cover in India-68669f7e77ba4cad9adfe6f284597154.jpeg  

The Importance of a Car Cover in India-2aeeefa57d8649c28410a0820076e824.jpeg  

Old 14th May 2024, 12:47   #73
BHPian

Had a cover for my WagonR and Zest and one struggle I always had was with removing the cover and packing it back properly. Was casually searching for an easily packable cover for my Carens and found this

(Image sourced from their website mentioned below)

https://dgmshop.in/products/copy-of-...arge-size-cars

Has anyone used their product? Amazon has listed their products but don't have the one for Carens. The above site has it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks