Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2006, 02:12   #46
BHPian

Brilliant write up Samurai San
it was really interesting to read your experiences with the K&n filter...good to know that it dows auctually work.. and that to in a automatix xing.. WOW..
Please do keep us posted on your experiences baba.
and thank you for this really good read

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16v100bhp View Post
In fact i was busy looking for a pre-charger for my palio for the past one week. None of the dealers here in chennai could get it for me, but i noticed later that even if i did i couldnt have fixed it on my palio. The best thing would be to get a custom made partition which prevents the engine heat from coming towards the filter.

By the look on those filters on the santro i dont think these prechargers would fit into it either. My suggestion is to get it custom made.
hello bro.. umm prechargers are covers made from a special material that covers the K&N ffilter and thus preventing water from going into your engine. Water can in certain cases break piston connecting rods. so it is not advisable to run in the monsoons without the prechargers.
For engine heat .. what you get are called heat sheilds-- mostly made out of carbon fiber or some heavy duty plastic.This is what you would need to prevent your filter sucking up engine heat.
The basic unavalability of these things is why i went back to a OEM replacement K&N filter.
hope this cleared things out
boom

Last edited by Tool : 25th December 2006 at 02:23.
Old 25th December 2006, 12:28   #47
Senior - BHPian

Nice review, but don't you think the KnN is getting way too much credit?

I can understand a slight diff in performance but is it that noticable? And i think you have a stock exhaust setup right?

Shan2nu
Old 25th December 2006, 12:48   #48
Team-BHP Support

This is a 8 month old review, but my opinion is still same. It even survived the harsh coastal monsoon without a squeak, without protection. I had driven this car for two years before change, hence the difference was very apparent.
Old 25th December 2006, 18:30   #49
BHPian

Thanks for the wonderfull write up dude, i have already made up my mind to install a K and N but not the conical ones, i'm goin for the OE replacement filters. My car is running on LPG and i use my palio 1.6 for my speed thrills . So i figured out i should restrict myself for OE replacements in this case. Please let me know if you guyz find any issues in installing KandNs on an LPG installed santro.
Old 1st April 2007, 22:00   #50
BHPian

K&N Filter for Santro Xing

Hi All...

Was really impressed with all the bit of Info Sharing that's happening here. I am trying to get some info about a K&N Filter for my one and half year old Santro.
Now, i tried to read up some of the existing posts on the subject and was really overwhelmed by the information that'd been rolled out !!

Some basic questions that i had:

1. The cliched Performance Vs. FE syndrome !

2. i'm sure of the countless times we've heard a Zen roar on the chaotic MG Road in Bangalore with a nice little Growl to the engine. Is that a Filter that's responsible or a combination of the Filter /Exhaust modification etc..etc..

3. I was introduced to a lotta new terms like Replacement filters, Conical Filter, stock filters, OE filter. Wow..that's a lotta jargon...could someone please explain what these mean !!?? and which ones cost how much...!

4. Contact points in Bangalore where one could get more info.

Info will be really appreciated...

Vinayak
Old 2nd April 2007, 15:34   #51
Senior - BHPian

vinayak.. to answer some of your questions (hunt around on the forum for more info... there's a lot of it!)
1. performance will improve slightly, but don't expect a huge boost just with a filter. pair that up with iridium plugs and a free flow exhaust, and your car will fly!
FE is definitely improved with the K&N. Expect at least 1 kpl increase, but a lot depends on the style of your driving.
2. the filter itself causes a very nice growling noise. adding a free-flow exhaust adds to the effect.
3. - OE (original equipment) or stock filters are what you get with your car.
- stock-replacement filters from K&N, Ractive etc. replace the stock filter with no further modifications to the air filter box. this is the easiest performance upgrade u can make.
- conical or universal filters, along with an air-intake pipe replaces the entire air filter box that comes with the car. these are more costly than the stock replacement filters, but provide more performance enhancement and gives your car that sporty growl.
4. no clue, but you can look for some performance parts stockists from b'lore who are members of this forum. go thru the Modification & Accessories section.

hope this helps. for prices, its best to contact the folks mentioned in #4.
razor
Old 2nd April 2007, 17:03   #52
BHPian

Razor's right. You will get a better FE, but just a bit. Go for stock replacement ones so you wont have to modify anything. Just remove the old one and put in the new one. You do not need to change them, you can clean K&N's because they are made up of cotton.. If you are going for a universal one, you need to make some mods. Change the air intake pipes also.
Old 2nd April 2007, 17:20   #53
BHPian

tnx !

Hi Razor...

Thanks a lot for the info..as a matter of fact, i've been doing some research since morning and the abundance of posts in the forum have really given me a fair clue as to what to expect...

My understanding so far...A stock replacement filter costs around 4K which claims a fair amount of BHP thrust, the caveat being people claim that it's not really much to be appreciated. Arguement taken..to each his own

A conical or universal filter that costs abt 6K which boasts of a greater BHP increase and the sweet sound of machine roaring. This requires some additional fitments in the form of an air intake pipe. (I presume this is that fat cylinderical pipe that stands out in all the pics i've seen so far.) I further understand, people have different perceptions on how this fitment will actually be carried out (i.e. stuff like closer to the radiator etc..etc..)

I spoke to Ozzone automotives representative...i would like to know if these guys are good enough to be entrusted with the job, considering that there's a bit of skillwork involved with the fittings.

I spoke to Advaith service station manager here to get his opinion and without sounding too upbeat about the idea, he preferred to remain ignorant of what i wanted to get into ! He blatantly gave a blank look when i touched upon the topic of a Free Flow exhaust..!! Scares me...!!

Now, i would know what exact service would be rendered by these Free Flow Exhausts. Are these some sort of add ons to the existing exhausts...
ditto for iridium plugs !!

Phew...with all these killer items on board, i would like to know, what are the chances i go for a regular service and the guys back there get offended by all this razzmatazz and say, "...u have a problem because of these things, saar !!" i mean, that would really be heart wrenching to find that very casually the hyundai mechanics start putting blame on these beauties..!! what then...!!??

Awaiting a response...!!

Vinayak
Old 2nd April 2007, 19:51   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayak007 View Post
Phew...with all these killer items on board, i would like to know, what are the chances i go for a regular service and the guys back there get offended by all this razzmatazz and say, "...u have a problem because of these things, saar !!" i mean, that would really be heart wrenching to find that very casually the hyundai mechanics start putting blame on these beauties..!! what then...!!??
When Iceman91 took his beast to Maruti service center, they opened the hood and gasped. Then he gave them a test drive and they fainted. Ok, not exactly, but you know what I mean.

When I gave my Santro to routine service at Udupi I had to explain them the whole setup, and the care to be taken while washing, etc. And I did give them a test drive, they loved it.
Old 3rd April 2007, 13:04   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
When Iceman91 took his beast to Maruti service center, they opened the hood and gasped. Then he gave them a test drive and they fainted. Ok, not exactly, but you know what I mean.

When I gave my Santro to routine service at Udupi I had to explain them the whole setup, and the care to be taken while washing, etc. And I did give them a test drive, they loved it.
heh! had a similar experience when they looked at my engine at the hyundai workshop. the mechanic's gut reaction was to say "Aisa kyun kiya? This is not good for your car!" When I explained the reason behind my tinkering, he softened. Then I revved the engine and all the mechanics dropped whatever they were doing and crowded around my car. Felt good.. .my 15 seconds of fame :P
anyway, on a more serious note, u gotta be careful when u give the car for servicing (with a conical filter). the high pressure water spray will ruin the filter... have them cover it up with something first. and some hyundai workshops will say that your engine warranty is void when you fit the concial filter+ intake pipe. best thing to do is to hang onto your OE filter box... may come in handy later.
as for the FF exhaust... u can bet that it'll void your warranty.
iridium plugs... not an issue - they just replace the regular copper ones. make sure u tell your mechanic not to replace these during a servicing. iridium plugs last much longer than copper. why use them? coz they provide a better spark, which leads to increased performance and improved FE.
Old 3rd April 2007, 13:59   #56
Team-BHP Support

My Santro Xing is July 2003 model, no warranty to talk about. Yeah, I had to instruct them how to wrap a plastic around the conical filter before washing under the hood.

Edit: Besides, my Santro is among the only two automatic Santros in the whole district, so it gets special treatment.

Last edited by Samurai : 3rd April 2007 at 14:01.
Old 5th April 2007, 15:21   #57
BHPian

[HTML]Yeah, I had to instruct them how to wrap a plastic around the conical filter before washing under the hood.
[/HTML]

...and also instruct to remove the plastic after washing and before cranking the engine.
Old 5th April 2007, 16:59   #58
Senior - BHPian

Hi All !! This thread was an interesting read . I am now all set to put a Conical K&N in my 3 yr old Santro Xing. Thanks to all you guys !! Will let you know the results
Old 12th April 2007, 15:28   #59
BHPian

Hi All,

Some followup questions specific to a Santro...

1. There is a word going round in the Swift K&N discussion that Conical Filters only need to be set up if the space under the hood is ample enough to accomodate the pipe fitment.
Does the space in a Santro meet this requirement

2. I haven't driven a vehicle with a Filter, so kinda oblivious to what i need to expect. Is it kinda mandatory that i actually drive one, before getting one fitted. Or am i simply being paranoid without any reason

3. How much of an effort is it to revert back to the standard factory filter if say, i'm unhappy with the milage, sound, fear of water getting into the hood or any such dampners ??

4. Other standard instructions that need to be given to the Service station people.

5. Key points to watch out for, when getting a conical filter fitted.

Thanks a lot for the info !!

Vinayak
Old 12th April 2007, 23:52   #60
Senior - BHPian

vinayak, to answer your questions:
1. yes, there is enough space. check out my garage - there's a pic of the K&N fitment. i think there are a few more, including samurai's (go thru this very thread).
2. not really... but that's up to you. if you have any friends who own filter-fitted cars you can ask them for a ride. don't think u have to though
3. shouldn't be that tough. make sure you don't let them damage the OE filter box and pipe in any way while making the switch.
4. i assume you're getting it done at a non-hyundai workshop (hyundai wouldn't do this for me in cal). make sure u carry a picture of a similar setup in another santro.. helps them a lot. also tell them to handle the filter with care.
5. make sure the intake pipe is securely bolted in place, and it doesn't sway or squeak. also that the joints are properly sealed, preferably with some rubber under the clamps. check the angle of the filter - the hood should not touch it on closing. anything else... i think its common sense!

hope that helps.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks