Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Old 5th May 2006, 13:44   #31

Wow! Engine braking + full blast ac + automatic tranny AND STILL got an FE of wot? 14?? Amazing.
Old 5th May 2006, 14:18   #32

Originally Posted by amitoj
Wow! Engine braking + full blast ac + automatic tranny AND STILL got an FE of wot? 14?? Amazing.
14 was highway FE before K&N and alloys with sober driving. This time I got 15.2kmpl.
Old 5th May 2006, 22:50   #33

Originally Posted by Samurai
14 was highway FE before K&N and alloys with sober driving. This time I got 15.2kmpl.
? 15 (thats preety good). but 15 kmpl driving in the ghats or highway?
Old 26th July 2006, 07:17   #34

OT ! its 50 -50. Car matters so does the driver's driving skills.

Dont highjack this thread. The post by Samurai shows how a Santro with Auto tranny does give 15kmpl or so and how well it performed in terms of mileage and performance after teh addition of K&N Extreme.
Old 26th July 2006, 11:48   #35

Nice write-up... reminds me of the time we did Manali-Delhi in 9 hours flat (including a 30 min stop) with 2 santros... We had 4 full sized passengers in each car and on most straight stretches did a constant 140 kmph with aircon... and this was a 1L engine with no mods except Michelin Certis 175 shoes.

I remain a loyal Santro fan... explains why I still have 2 of them BTW, chew on this... my Dad got 1.14 Lakh Km from the stock Bridgestone 322 rubber... amazing...
Old 26th July 2006, 14:07   #36

Originally Posted by gunbir
I remain a loyal Santro fan... explains why I still have 2 of them BTW, chew on this... my Dad got 1.14 Lakh Km from the stock Bridgestone 322 rubber... amazing...
1.14L !!!...Are you sure its not a typo??...Man how did he manage that?
Great Advertisement for the globally thrashed 322's.
Old 27th July 2006, 02:59   #37

Samurai can u let me know the Model number on your K&N and is the pipe looking thing also from K&N does it has a model number, please let me know
Old 27th July 2006, 12:34   #38

Ok, I think this thread has gone way off-topic. I started this thread to describe the effect of Universal K&N on a Santro Xing. Kindly restrict the discussion to that.

If there are any more off-topic posts, my avataar will jump out and start swinging at those posts.

EDIT: Well, all OT messages are gone as promised.

Last edited by Samurai : 27th July 2006 at 13:17.
Old 27th July 2006, 12:58   #39
rks

Getting back to the topic -- top-end grunt is what the Santro lacks most in highway driving. This is especially true of the older models with 1-lit engine. So a K&N filter is a welcome mod, if it can improve the response of the vehicle at speeds in excess of 100 kmph. Regarding the mod to the air-intake pipe, I have seen it mentioned in other threads (edit: in this very thread by tsk1979) that the increased air flow means more dust can get into the engine and cause long-term damage. So I am not too sure whether to go in for this -- the dust factor on our poorly maintained and dirty roads cannot be ignored.

Last edited by rks : 27th July 2006 at 13:02.
Old 15th August 2006, 13:09   #40

Originally Posted by gunbir
...got 1.14 Lakh Km from the stock Bridgestone 322 rubber... amazing...
Whoah !! Our car is over 4 years old and clocked around 51000, tyres still have life in them but Im trying to convince for an upgrade since they are not worthy of high speed/highway anymore.

Truly 1 lakh++ is an amazing test.. obviously maintenance too
Old 15th August 2006, 13:15   #41

Originally Posted by rks
Getting back to the topic -- top-end grunt is what the Santro lacks most in highway driving. This is especially true of the older models with 1-lit engine. So a K&N filter is a welcome mod, if it can improve the response of the vehicle at speeds in excess of 100 kmph. Regarding the mod to the air-intake pipe, I have seen it mentioned in other threads (edit: in this very thread by tsk1979) that the increased air flow means more dust can get into the engine and cause long-term damage. So I am not too sure whether to go in for this -- the dust factor on our poorly maintained and dirty roads cannot be ignored.

I would disagree with TSK1979 on his theory. Increased airflow does not mean more dust in the engine. A air filters job is to filter out the dust and a performance air filter whilst increasing the air flow also does a better job of filtering out the dust. Please go right ahead by fitting an intake pipe. I have one on all my cars alongwith Universal Conical filters.

Viper

Last edited by Samurai : 15th August 2006 at 14:39.
Old 15th August 2006, 13:38   #42
rks

viper, thanks for the advice. That does clear the air. Since new car is out of the question for me at this point, mods are the way to go.
Old 23rd December 2006, 20:29   #43

City mileage?

Samurai, how much do you get in the city (a) without K&N, (b) with K&N, (c) with full or > 75% ac and (d)without AC. Kindly give me only the city mileages you manage.

Also, hyundai tells me i should not accelerate the car or decelerate it too hard and that will keep the mileage more on an AT. is this the correct way to get max mileage or would you have any better tips for the same? help
Old 23rd December 2006, 22:35   #44

I haven't lived in a city since April, I rarely take my car beyond 4-5Kms from home, I always drive with full A/C, never remove the K&N, I have a 100 meter commute....

Therefore my FE figures can't be of any use to you. I get about 9Kmpl these days off my mixed usage.

Originally Posted by GeekSrik
Also, hyundai tells me i should not accelerate the car or decelerate it too hard and that will keep the mileage more on an AT.
That is true for manual shift cars too. There are no separate set of FE rules for AT cars, just the same ones as any car.
Old 24th December 2006, 09:50   #45

Custom made prechargers

Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
...and our local dealer hadnt even heard of something called a "pre-charger" ...
In fact i was busy looking for a pre-charger for my palio for the past one week. None of the dealers here in chennai could get it for me, but i noticed later that even if i did i couldnt have fixed it on my palio. The best thing would be to get a custom made partition which prevents the engine heat from coming towards the filter.

By the look on those filters on the santro i dont think these prechargers would fit into it either. My suggestion is to get it custom made.