Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2012, 15:25   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Turbocharged Maruti SX4 VVT

Wonderful! Congrats Balaji. Great to hear that she is now running well and that you're happy with the power delivery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BalajiShankar View Post
The car is a complete beast now! 100 comes up in the low 8 second range, with the 205 section Tyres spinning a lot during full throttle in first and second gears. With better Tyres and springs, the car should post much better times. The best part is that the drivability has phenomenally improved. For example, 20 – 80 in 3rd gear comes up in 10 seconds flat and 40 – 100 in 4th gear comes up in 12 seconds. Compared to the stock car, this is faster by 5 and 8 seconds respectively.
Gosh, that's quite a difference from the earlier experience. Hats off to Feroz for providing the kind of customer service we expect after spending such $$$. From your post, it's clear that Feroz was instrumental in setting your car up to your liking.

Quote:
I have also uploaded photos of the seats
Can we have full profile pics of your car? Would be nice to see the sleeper . That way, we'll also know who NOT to mess with

Quote:
  • Turbocharger & Intercooler - 65000
  • ECU - 47000
  • Fuel Pressure Regulator- 11000
  • Performance Clutch - 35000
  • Blow off valve - 10000
  • BMC CAI - 13000
  • Free flow exhaust - 23000
  • Plumbing for the turbo - RRP 20000
Thanks for sharing the report & prices. What matters the most is that you are happy with the end result.

Quote:
To start, which brand of tyres do you recommend?
Don't look any further than Yokohama Advan Sports for your car!
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2012, 15:33   #17
Senior - BHPian

Enjoy your new horses The power gain is sweet. Do update the thread once you've covered some miles.

Quote:
1. Cost:
  • Turbocharger & Intercooler - 65000
  • ECU - 47000
  • Fuel Pressure Regulator- 11000
  • Performance Clutch - 35000
  • Blow off valve - 10000
  • BMC CAI - 13000
  • Free flow exhaust - 23000
  • Plumbing for the turbo - RRP 20000
Price seems to be a bit high for the ECU, BMC CAI, and the Exhaust. Not sure about the other items in the list.
Old 12th October 2012, 15:59   #18
Senior - BHPian

Now this is a serious modification job done on a car. I like the performance numbers too but boy is this an expensive job.

Are the engine internals totally stock? What life can you expect out of the engine with the car in this state of tune or is this something you don't really care about.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2012, 17:22   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Wonderful! Congrats Balaji. Great to hear that she is now running well and that you're happy with the power delivery.

Gosh, that's quite a difference from the earlier experience. Hats off to Feroz for providing the kind of customer service we expect after spending such $$$. From your post, it's clear that Feroz was instrumental in setting your car up to your liking.

Can we have full profile pics of your car? Would be nice to see the sleeper . That way, we'll also know who NOT to mess with

Thanks for sharing the report & prices. What matters the most is that you are happy with the end result.

Don't look any further than Yokohama Advan Sports for your car!
Thanks a lot GTO. Will post more details of this 'Sleeper' very soon

Btw, I was checking the Yokohama website. They have 225/50 R16 on Advan Sport, not 225/55 R16, which is what I am interested in.
BalajiShankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2012, 17:33   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
So totally 224000 for 8.xx boost.

- Since when did Rd standalone ECU cost 47k? last i heard it was around 35k.
- I have installed FreeFlow and Headers for Swift 1.3zxi costing 10k from Raj hingorani.

What about labour?
Indians seem to have a problem when being presented with a big labour charges for any kind of work. The cost of every component in that list is marked up by atleast 30%, except for, maybe, the turbo and intercooler. The second thing to consider is shipping and customs costs, plus whatever is used to grease dirty hands at these customs offices.

If presented with a labour charge of, say, 40k, almost everyone will go nuts. I won't comment on how much a generic made-in-China FPR will cost. However, paying 11k for it wouldn't even elicit a second glance. On the other hand, a labour charge of 40k is fully justified for the kind of work that is being done. But we want that to be done for peanuts.

Just my 2 cents.

Comparing rates between tuners/garages should be avoided. There will always be someone in your circle "that could've got the same part atleast 20% cheaper from elsewhere".

Last edited by pranavt : 12th October 2012 at 17:35.
pranavt is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 12th October 2012, 17:42   #21
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Balaji wish you happy times ahead with the TCed SX4 VVT. It is nice that you have kept the exterior stock - love the sleeper look.

I used to follow this earlier: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ics-added.html
planet_rocker is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2012, 18:23   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Indians seem to have a problem when being presented with a big labour charges for any kind of work. The cost of every component in that list is marked up by atleast 30%, except for, maybe, the turbo and intercooler. The second thing to consider is shipping and customs costs, plus whatever is used to grease dirty hands at these customs offices.

If presented with a labour charge of, say, 40k, almost everyone will go nuts. I won't comment on how much a generic made-in-China FPR will cost. However, paying 11k for it wouldn't even elicit a second glance. On the other hand, a labour charge of 40k is fully justified for the kind of work that is being done. But we want that to be done for peanuts.

Just my 2 cents.

Comparing rates between tuners/garages should be avoided. There will always be someone in your circle "that could've got the same part atleast 20% cheaper from elsewhere".
Good that you have agreed 30%+ on most of the parts.

@BalajiShankar - Can you let us know the labour charges after 30% increase in parts prices?

Helping a team-bhpian with best available prices for the same product is allowed. At least for readers who have future mod plans.

Note - Instead of clicking on Quote button i clicked on thanks button.

Last edited by brraj : 12th October 2012 at 18:30.
brraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2012, 20:27   #23
Senior - BHPian

that torque can be addictive. City and highway mileage figures 8 and 13 look like best that can be achieved given the power numbers. What oil do you use? How is the idling part with AC on? the manifold looks good. Is that welded one? If yes, exercise caution running full boost (local fabrication may crack). Keep some spare oil in case you need on the highway. you need bucket seats to support the shove.
Old 13th October 2012, 02:07   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
Helping a team-bhpian with best available prices for the same product is allowed. At least for readers who have future mod plans.
Helping anyone with best available prices is a very noble thing to do, IF you are buying just a tangible product.

For something like this, where the parts come secondary to the workmanship, comparing the cost of parts usually leads to a path fraught with heartburn and regret. You can usually push a stock engine with stock internals to 1.5x its power levels (while being reliable) if you know what you are doing, or you can buy the best available components and reach nowhere if the tuner is an idiot.

If someone wants to buy the components off the Internet and get it all fitted at a nearby roadside mechanic/garage, it makes sense to discuss pricing. I believe the OP is smart enough to not fall into this hole. You go to a proper tuning shop/tuner for more than just the parts.
pranavt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th October 2012, 09:29   #25
BHPian

kudos to your dedication in getting the work done. given how frustrated i get when my car is in service for a day, you seem t have infinite patience to wait for a month and then send it again.

i have a question. can you adjust the maps of the ecu by remote? or laptop? in case of highway driving or occasions when FE is needed rather than brute power .
everytime i think im done with petrol. threads like this make me want to get a cheap used petrol to tinker with.

congratulations once again. for added fun dont tell people that your car is turbo'd just smoke them and tell them that you're obviously a better driver than them.
Old 13th October 2012, 11:40   #26
BHPian

Quote:
If someone wants to buy the components off the Internet and get it all fitted at a nearby roadside mechanic/garage, it makes sense to discuss pricing. I believe the OP is smart enough to not fall into this hole. You go to a proper tuning shop/tuner for more than just the parts.
Dont justify somebody's work too much without being a part of it, or are you?
We have seen incidents in team-bhp itself forget about outsiders.

Case 1 - check RRP cedia customer & GTOs comments
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...-cedia-15.html

Case 2 - friends Fiesta 1.6
Just to add header the drive shaft was messed up and he is a member here aswell.

No, they have not paid peanuts FYI.

I am not against RRP here infact i have installed BMC airfilter from them myself.
I actually love RRP for the parts they procure to do the job - top notch.

Quote:
For something like this, where the parts come secondary to the workmanship
but sadly i have to say its the opposite.

Infact what i like about tuners like Petes,RRP and TDIracing in india is these people atleast replace/repay if customer is not satisfied or if its a shoddy job.

Last edited by brraj : 13th October 2012 at 11:51.
brraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2012, 14:17   #27
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note : Please stick to the topic, that is the SX4 Turbo. We have several other threads to discuss the pricing of mods.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th October 2012, 16:30   #28
Senior - BHPian

Hooked on to this thread Balaji.
The power you have after the mods are to die for and on a big car like the SX4, makes it even perfect. Like you mentioned, the next would be the suspension to complete the package.

Just a small note here since I have done work on my car at RRP as well.
Although you may invariably visit them again after all the work is done and signed off, the end result is the smile on your face for which some patience is for sure required and the peace of mind since they stand by their work and never back off.

I am not promoting RRP, just sharing my experience and as to why I chose RRP over others .
Work on my car can be looked up on the link below,

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...igo-1-2-a.html

Thanks

Last edited by tharian : 13th October 2012 at 16:32.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2012, 18:26   #29
anb
BHPian

Will the stock clutch able to handle the increase in torque? Any plans for a clutch upgrade?
Quote:
Thanks a lot GTO. Will post more details of this 'Sleeper' very soon

Btw, I was checking the Yokohama website. They have 225/50 R16 on Advan Sport, not 225/55 R16, which is what I am interested in.
Try Maxxis MA Z1 Victra . It's available in 225/55R16 and 215/55 R16 sizes. These tyres offer excellent grip.

Last edited by anb : 13th October 2012 at 18:30.
Old 13th October 2012, 22:48   #30
BHPian

Hi Balaji,

Congrats on your set up. The most important things is that you
are happy because the pain of addressing problems post installation
will kill the spirit.

By the way, my friend (Sandeep) had been to RRP to get his Cedia
dynoed. He drove your car and he was impressed with the performance.

Cheers,
Ayyappan
Honda_Power is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed