Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2011, 22:55   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: PICS : Car floor vinyl & lamination

I dont know, this just doesnt appeal to me at all. It looks like the occupants of the car might be suffering from bladder control issues.
Old 28th April 2011, 23:41   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
I dont know, this just doesnt appeal to me at all. It looks like the occupants of the car might be suffering from bladder control issues.
I too have the same feeling. The moulded car mat is a better option and details can be had from any auto mag. This looks more tidy. The vinyl stuff mentioned in this thread does not look like a professionally executed one.

Last edited by rajeev k : 28th April 2011 at 23:44.
Old 29th April 2011, 09:45   #48
BHPian

had done the "lamination "for my scorp about two years back and must admit the transparent plastic sheet lasted very well and really helped in the super dusty environs of our ladakh journey.
but the same job done in the safari at a different place had disastrous results with water seepage and moisture build up resulting in some sort of fungus growing in there to the point that i got the whole thing removed in two months, i guess the quality of the workmanship and the contours of your vehicle floor matter a great deal for this thing to succeed
Attached Thumbnails
PICS : Car floor vinyl & lamination-04022010338.jpg  

PICS : Car floor vinyl & lamination-04022010339.jpg  

sierrakamat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2011, 10:59   #49
BHPian

@sierrakamat, where did you got this done in Mumbai ? can you share the details.
Old 29th April 2011, 13:37   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkumars View Post
I had done the Vinyl covering for both my previous cars, alto and i10. Am planning to do the same to my current car also, the Vista.

I had found it quite useful, especially during the rainy season. The original floor was quite difficult to clean, you just can't completely remove the dust. With the covering things are much better. Only thing is, you have to get rubber mats with sufficient grip.
OT, I bought those see though floor mats. They smell too strong for my liking but looks great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadhanBabu View Post
I had put similar mat for my VW polo and it makes it very easy for me to clean the floor, specially in the rainy seasons...
And it is laid so well that even if you pour a cup of coffee/cola on the mat from within, you can wipe it off from the floor...

But the discussion about water splashing into the interiors from the bottom of the car haunts me of causing any damage to the body of the car...
Is there any possibilities that water splashes into the floor from the bottom of the car?
I doubt it could happen, atleast in in VW where the interiors are tailored so well...
Water might seep in if the drain holes are open. I have seen drain holes in Fiat etc and not in new gen cars ( coz they have carpets). Else, I guess you are safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I was just thinking, and since someone mentioned spilling beer in their car.

there is no "soak" factor here, eh?
sooooo, if you manage to up-end an open bottle of water /etc, wont you have it all all sloshing around?
i mean, it's not going to get absorbed anywhere, is it?
It will soak and then? Carry spare cotton cloth or use paper tissues if you have spilled something on the car floor;with/without lamination.
Old 29th April 2011, 13:54   #51
h14
BHPian

This process has been a regular for mot of the cars in Coimbatore for almost 10 years now. First got it done in my Palio 1.2 in 2002.

Some pictures from my Linea and Spark:
Attached Thumbnails
PICS : Car floor vinyl & lamination-dsc00561.jpg  

PICS : Car floor vinyl & lamination-dsc00557.jpg  

PICS : Car floor vinyl & lamination-dsc00566.jpg  

PICS : Car floor vinyl & lamination-dsc00268.jpg  

h14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2011, 14:36   #52

Hi,

What in case of a lighted match stick falling on the floor with vinyl flooring? Or for that matter how safe is it in case of a crash where in the temp. builds up in the vehicle but not to the point of catching fire, but then the vinyl might catch a fire sooner compared to the woolen floorings.

Posted this just out of my curiosity, do not intend to change my ride's carpeting, like what has come with my fiat palio.

Rgds,
Prasad
Old 29th April 2011, 15:42   #53
Senior - BHPian

My only worry would be fungus formation under these vinyl mats. I was tempted but knowing how fungus friendly place i live in, i decided to go without one.
Old 29th April 2011, 16:53   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Have seen this in cabs. While it helps reduce dust going underneath, it does not look very neat ... there will always be folds / excess material near the edges. And any water going into the carpet below this mat will cause a problem.
Old 29th April 2011, 17:17   #55
Senior - BHPian

Vinyl / Plastic coated carpet flooring is a recipe for breeding fungus & bacteria, which will circulate in the car with the Airconditioner & can (am not saying WILL) cause breathing problems, especially among children.

Disadvantage number 2, being that the sheet metal on the floor will be more suspect to corrosion - given that moisture during service or monsoons is bound to get trapped.

I'd stay away from any such lamination. Just make do with rubber mats.

Just my opinion. I could be wrong, but I'd say better safe than sorry !

Cheers
Old 29th April 2011, 19:29   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

just what i thought....the type of circumstances that have forced to use this, are exactly what are conducive to biological growths-moisture and dirt.
Old 30th April 2011, 13:12   #57
BHPian

@yvasprasad -
This is exactly my doubt bro. Any comments by experts??
Old 30th April 2011, 13:18   #58
BHPian

If it is not too expensive(subjective i suppose) then it may have use in specific situations. Perhaps when a dusty or long drive is on the cards. Or when the car will be used for shuttle duty so that it stays clean. IMHO the look of the car is spoilt. Rubber mats are good in most situations.
Old 1st May 2011, 19:47   #59
Senior - BHPian

H14's black vinyl looks ok. These sheetings would look so much better if fitted tightly.

Oh and water doesnt have to be spilled or seep in from under the chassis. General water vapour and humidity will get trapped under it and make it rust faster than usual
Old 2nd May 2011, 09:20   #60
BHPian

Some of the accessories shops make the mats stick to the car carpet like it is done on my car. I have the mat on my current car as well as my earlier one. No issues so far and is absolutely easy to maintenance. Only drawback is that light weight rubber/PE mats on top will slip and one has to use heavier ones like Packy poda mats.

Pictures in my ownership thread here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-report-3.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks