Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2023, 06:50   #1
BHPian

BMW X1 18i M-Sport vs Mercedes GLA 220d

Hello All,

I am torn between these two cars (CDs scheduled a couple of days from now, which will change this decision). This is for mostly long trips for a family of four.

Pros for GLA
1. I get a year end discount
2. Merc badge (mother wanted it)
3. Interiors are fantastic
4. Transparent pricing
5. Reviews seem to indicate that the GLA is more powerful and comfortable

Pros for X1
1. Latest model
2. Has massage seats and ADAS etc (GLA misses out of massage and has only collision braking)
3. Wireless CarPlay (the GLA has wired CarPlay)
4. Bigger boot

Both of these cars pale in comparison to my Fortuner but this is more of an aspirational purchase.

Would love to know your thoughts on this. Also, the buyback scheme is a scam right?
hajaar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2023, 07:03   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: BMW X1 18i M-Sport vs Mercedes GLA 220d

If the car is mainly for highway trips, go for the X1 mainly because of these two factors:
- Better driving dynamics and steering feedback at highway speeds.
- bigger boot space.

As mentioned at numerous places on the forum, BMW offers a better service experience along with more reliable cars than the other two (Mercedes and Audi) among the main three manufacturers.
PaddleShifter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2023, 07:26   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: BMW X1 18i M-Sport vs Mercedes GLA 220d

Between these two options, the GLA 220d is the superior. The X1's petrol engine is a triple cylinder with ordinary power ratings. Just about okay performance in the city, but it runs out of breath at highway speeds.

With the X1, the diesel is the motor of choice.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th December 2023, 08:43   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Between these two options, the GLA 220d is the superior. The X1's petrol engine is a triple cylinder with ordinary power ratings. Just about okay performance in the city, but it runs out of breath at highway speeds.

With the X1, the diesel is the motor of choice.
Thanks GTO. Would you recommend the X1 instead if I opted for the diesel version? It will be an extra 8L more considering the discounts I get on the GLA.
Old 14th December 2023, 09:11   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

BMW X1 petrol for highways with four people onboard is pretty much a non-starter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajaar View Post
... this is more of an aspirational purchase.
Don't buy using any exhaustive comparison method. Between the X1/GLA diesels - see which design/look appeals to your family, test drive to check the space and comfort. In general, MB tends to come out as a better family car (brand preference, comfort oriented tires+suspension+gearbox, neutral/pleasing design).

Buy it with heart but ensure that the basics are in place (space, comfort, cost of ownership, etc.). Lack of wireless carplay, etc. should be a distant secondary consideration for a purchase that's aspirational.

Are you sure about the size/space of these cars given your family is coming from Fortuner ownership?
androdev is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th December 2023, 09:23   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
BMW X1 petrol for highways with four people onboard is pretty much a non-starter.

Don't buy using any exhaustive comparison method. Between the X1/GLA diesels - see which design/look appeals to your family, test drive to check the space and comfort. In general, MB tends to come out as a better family car (brand preference, comfort oriented tires+suspension+gearbox, neutral/pleasing design).

Buy it with heart but ensure that the basics are in place (space, comfort, cost of ownership, etc.). Lack of wireless carplay, etc. should be a distant secondary consideration for a purchase that's aspirational.

Are you sure about the size/space of these cars given your family is coming from Fortuner ownership?
Thanks Androdev. You make a lot of sense. I think we are leaning more towards MB given its old school presence and brand recognition. We like the interiors too, which is were we spend all our time.

That said, the lack of space, ruggedness and quality from a Fortuner is something we will miss. We are still keeping buying a new Fortuner as a back-up option since we know how good it is (no matter its price). From a sheer logical perspective, an Innova or equivalent should be enough for us. But we want to go with our hearts for once (even if it makes 0 financial sense), but at the same time, we want to keep a budget in place.
hajaar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th December 2023, 09:29   #7
BHPian

Both the cars are actually great, but if you're looking to same some bucks and still get a great car, I would suggest you the Audi Q3. Silent luxury, hidden aesthetics and a badge of value! Amazing car, even in its barebones variant. Paired with a blue color will make it look very appealing. Do take test drive and then confirm. If you want something that's way more cheaper but with the same engine dynamics, and willing to compromise on the luxury badge, I would suggest you the Tiguan. Not suggesting the Kodiaq as it is a tad too large and not a good upgrade from your Fortuner.
mgastor2022grey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2023, 10:23   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Androdev. You make a lot of sense. I think we are leaning more towards MB given its old school presence and brand recognition. We like the interiors too, which is were we spend all our time.

That said, the lack of space, ruggedness and quality from a Fortuner is something we will miss. We are still keeping buying a new Fortuner as a back-up option since we know how good it is (no matter its price). From a sheer logical perspective, an Innova or equivalent should be enough for us. But we want to go with our hearts for once (even if it makes 0 financial sense), but at the same time, we want to keep a budget in place.
If I were in your place, I would buy GLA/X1 just to complete the checklist of an aspirational/milestone purchase for the family and use it in the city and for short trips. It can also do long trips in comfort and style for two passengers sitting up front. I will retain the Fortuner for highways with four people and when the time is right will replace it with another similar spacious rugged car in future.
androdev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2023, 23:23   #9

I would skip both. GLA drives great and ticks most boxes, but it feels more like a hatchback and the boot space is a compromise. X1 on the other hand looks good, but the lacklustre engine makes it a big no-no.
I would suggest Q3 - it trumps both of these cars. Only one problem though is the end of model with new launch pending mid 2024. I would score it the best in the lot. These are based on my test drive impressions.
CarsAndDrives is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th December 2023, 10:41   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsAndDrives View Post
I would suggest Q3 - it trumps both of these cars. Only one problem though is the end of model with new launch pending mid 2024. I would score it the best in the lot. These are based on my test drive impressions.
Completely agree as an owner too. And they have put back basic features like auto hold and keyless start in the PP version now. Only thing you have to put up with is a very pedestrian looking centre console, but then I believe external looks matter a lot if not more than interiors. If you are still not a believer, check out the latest red colour they have launched. If looks could kill…..

Old 15th December 2023, 12:40   #11
BHPian

IMO the BMW X1 is a dud. It neither has the power nor is it RWD. it sells cause its big, looks nice and of course is 'Brand BMW'. Better to go for a purist 3 series or X3 or X5, either new or preowned. I think your Fortuner is much better !
Old 15th December 2023, 14:35   #12
BHPian

Thanks all for your feedback.

I TDed the GLA 220D, A4 Tech and Q3 Tech. Decided to skip the X1 due to unfavourable reviews and the fact that there aren't any discounts, with deliveries in February to boot.

The GLA 220D has fantastic ride quality, seats are comfy and the steering feels like a breeze after driving the Fortuner. It feels easier than my erstwhile CRV too. The only negatives are the lack of boot space and the ok rear seats.

The A4 has a more premium feel inside than the Q3, but frankly both of felt bland. We didn't get any joy from sitting inside. The A4 scraped multiple speed breakers and that is a deal breaker for me. The Q3 has good boot space and the rear seats were quite good, but the front seats are horrible. My thighs hurt even after driving just 7 kms. Plus, I need to get the Tech variant just to get Keyless entry and go? What nonsense is that? Sure, both the A4 and Q3 drove well and the Q3 has quattra, but we are not impressed by the cars.

So it is going to be the GLA220D for us unless Toyota pulls off a fantastic discount on a new Fortuner (which is unlikely).
hajaar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2023, 14:57   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is for mostly long trips for a family of four.
Quote:
Both of these cars pale in comparison to my Fortuner but this is more of an aspirational purchase.
Test drive both, possibly with the family. See which one they like the most. I would suggest you to add Audi Q3 Sportback to the mix and since you already have an SUV, I would also suggest you to test drive A4 Technology 40 TFSI.

In my highly personal opinion, BMW starts at 3 (X3/3 Series) and Mercedes at C (GLC/C-Class). Pre-owned?

Last edited by HammerHead : 15th December 2023 at 14:58.
Old 15th December 2023, 15:20   #14
CJP
BHPian

Quote:
The only negatives are the lack of boot space and the ok rear seats.
The GLA 220D's boot can easily fit two full size suitcases and one smaller carryon case, if you remove the parcel shelf. That's more than enough luggage space for 4 adults on an 8 day trip. Speaking from experience.

And the luxurious feeling while you are in the car, beats anything that the Fortuner can do, IMHO.

Good luck with your purchase, and wish you many happy miles !
CJP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2023, 20:50   #15
BHPian

I was in this situation and I chose the F48 in 2022. The reason I went with BMW:
1. 190 BHP sweet sounding 2 liter Diesel that does duty on X3 as well.
2. Matured styling compared to MB GLA 220D
3. Excellent dynamics both straight line and curves

Current X1 is tuned lower by almost 30 hp. But added with more tech and far better interior and a slightly polarizing chiseled exterior design. Personally, looks smashing. But still I could not digest the downward revision of its power.

GLA is slightly bigger, refined engine and has a linear power delivery atypical of MB for better comfort. Excellent interior.

I would go with X1 due to the design of GLA which for me looks like just a bigger hatch compared to X1. I yet to test drive the new X1 and feel the difference in power.

You won't go wrong in both but I side with X1 currently due to its 'newness' and tech. If your budget allows consider GLC as it is a more accomplished package with great space, interior and performance (MB is getting better and better in the tuning department).

Last edited by sgmuser : 15th December 2023 at 20:51. Reason: typos

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks