Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2023, 14:51   #1

Audi A4 vs Mercedes A-Class

Dear Experts,

I want to buy a premium car now and test drove A4 and A-class. Want to buy only petrol because I am in Delhi NCR.
Drove GLA and Q3 also which told me I am not a SUV person.
BMW 2-series seems like a car for 2 people.
Everything else beyond budget which is ideally 40-45L OTR.

What I liked in A4 – overall felt more luxurious than A-class
- Feels more spacious inside (apart from central bump for rear-center seat)
- Feels more plush inside (retro luxury)
- Ride felt more comfortable
What I liked in A-Class - New age / tech-luxury feel
- Interior is jazzy
- Driving felt more sporty

Important for me:
- Car Price
- Maintenance cost
- Comfortable for long-long drives for 4 people

I am no car expert e.g., I hear A4 is now old technology OR that Merc’s 8-year warranty makes a difference – I frankly can’t judge.

1. Confused which of these two I should buy. Please guide.
2. If Audi A4, then is there big difference between Premium PLus and Technology variants?
3. OR, will a higher grade pre-owned car (A6 / E-Class / 5-series) will be better? (But hard to find 2-3 year old pre-owned petrol sedans also under 40L)

Please help me choose. Thank you.

Btw, why there are no sedans in range of 25-45L in market?
LifeIsTravel is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th October 2023, 16:26   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Audi A4 vs Mercedes A-Class

The A4 is a segment higher than the A Class globally, but is a relatively older model as you rightly pointed out.

Keeping in mind your priorities:
1. Car Price: A4 is definitely a better deal. You are getting a C Class competitor for the price of an A Class!
2. Maintenance Cost: Sharing parts with VW/Skoda should hopefully keep prices in check and better availability of spares. Also, they have good warranty programs that are worth exploring, post which please do shift to a good independent mechanic irrespective of brand. In my experience with the previous gen A6 & C Class - the A6 was definitely easier to live with and maintain barring Air Suspension - which the A4 doesn't get.
3. Comfortable for long drives for 4 people: larger A4 again wins this round.

As for variant differences - all boils down to what you will find useful. There are many who are happy with the basic Premium trim; forget premium plus / technology.

Buying a pre-owned higher grade car that is only 2-3 years old: your options should be 330i or A6. The E Class & 5 series are generally priced higher for such examples, though the A6 may fall in the bracket due to heavy discounts + is a newer generation compared to E/5 which have already unveiled the next generation and will soon be outdated.
lamborghini is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 14th October 2023, 10:20   #3
BHPian

Re: Audi A4 vs Mercedes A-Class

Hi Lifeistravel - Get yourself an Audi A4. However, if you have your own house and space to install EV charging in your parking area, check out the Hyundai Ioniq 5. Its on-road Noida price is 48.75 lacs and hopefully, you will get some discount also.

Ioniq 5 has a practical range (from 100% to 20%) of 400 km in the city and 375 km on highways. Maintenance cost is not very high. Service support from Hyundai is fantastic.

If you are not open for an EV, get A4 and enjoy.

All the best for your purchase.

Last edited by Aditya : 14th October 2023 at 23:25. Reason: Spelling, punctuation, grammar, etc.
GoBabyGo is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th October 2023, 10:43   #4
BHPian

I have been a diehard Mercedes supported but recently given certain budget requirements switched to Audi as well, albeit pre-owned. Funnily enough I have found the maintenance to be on the cheaper side since VAG cars have part sharing and this sometimes results in unexpected but more than welcome savings.

The A4 and A Class are simply not in the same league, an Audi equivalent of the A Class would be the A3 (hatchback or Sedan) which was formerly available in India. The current generation of the A Class is drab and uninspiring, the interiors are a bit too cramped and basic for my liking.

I would say go in for the A4 any day over the A Class if the budget permits.

And lastly, as a Sedan lover I feel your pain! Just until a decade ago you could buy everything from a Jetta, Passat, Fluence and Octavia in the mid to high 20L range!
AKSarkar1 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th October 2023, 13:51   #5
BHPian

With the kind of discounts that Audi Delhi offers, you will get the A4 at no cost premium over the A-Class for a much bigger and more powerful car. The A4 is a more sophisticated car and a lot better for 4 people at a time. Would definitely recommend A4.
sauravpat is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 14th October 2023, 16:57   #6
BHPian

I would say neither. Given that you have mentioned preowned route as one of your options, i would suggest a BMW 330i. 2020-2021 Models are available around the 40L mark.
Ashwintona675 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2023, 19:09   #7
Senior - BHPian

As Lamborghini has already pointed out, Audi A4 is more comparable to a C class than the A class so you are basically already getting more value for money.

On the pre-owned route, I would get a nice bmw 330i which should blow both the A4 and the A class out of the water in terms of tech, driving feel and power while also being larger and more comfortable than the A class.
Cresterk is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2023, 21:07   #8
BHPian

Hello LifeIsTravel, if you're up for pre-owned let me share two examples that are available on team bhp classifieds now. What pre-owned also does is open up a world of different luxury brands and variants. You may want to go and drive more cars for free and find the one which appeals you the most.

1) Skoda Octavia VRS - This won't give you the badge value you're looking for, but it will make you smile every single time you're behind the wheel. One of those rare cars.

2) The 2021 3 Series - You can't go wrong with the 3.

Long drives, yes please. Would they be comfortable for you? I'm not sure, I prefer cars with stiff suspension. I feel comfortable because they kinda make me feel safer at higher speeds. The 3 should ideally be more comfortable than the VRS in reality? Apologies, if this wasn't helpful.
Ishallownabmw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2023, 23:06   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsTravel View Post
Dear Experts,

I want to buy a premium car now and test drove A4 and A-class. Want to buy only petrol because I am in Delhi NCR.
Drove GLA and Q3 also which told me I am not a SUV person.
BMW 2-series seems like a car for 2 people.
Everything else beyond budget which is ideally 40-45L OTR.

Please help me choose. Thank you.
Personally I believe:

Merc is the epitome of this luxury segment (barring super luxury like Bentley or RR etc.) and then comes BMW later Audi or Volvo. People might jump on me but this is what I think. MB sells more generally in India and this is one of the reason. I drive a BMW even though I could have gone MB way. But there is thing which is kind of subtle where people in their middle ages prefer some fun in their luxury cars and they go for BMW route. BMW means fast cars that handles well. People who are more matured, relaxed and settled in life go for MB as this is pure status symbol and they do not care much about how it feels/drives/0-100km time or FE etc. It is simply MB or nothing. Then there are people who wants luxury on limited budget can choose Audi/Volvo etc. in whatever budget possible for them. So, BMW - fun fast luxury; MB - Elegance & Luxury; Volvo - Safe cars, Audi - affordable luxury, simple straight forward designs (leaving the RS series alone - they are one hell of speed machines I would like to afford one day). Porsche are simply meant for adrenaline rushing speeds, have their own following and usually priced higher (sportscar pedigree).

I did a long test drive of the CBU GLB Diesel and I was surprised at the over all experience it offered at this price point and it is a 7 seater. MB has come a long way with its engine tuning. They are not that old boring super linear power delivery type. They have almost tuned it like BMWs with driving modes etc. and the suspension setup was top notch. MBs age well compared to the Audis, I personally feel.

Then there is this Landrover/Jaguar for those who wants fast British luxury SUVs with deep pockets, patience and time for maintenance.

In the end, I would suggest you to go for MB A or C sedans as they are all having similar Diesel engines tuned little differently with some added features but in general MB's quality and luxury in every bit. You will be surprised the same 2 liter diesel does duty in most of the models just like BMW but in slightly different tuning. You wont regret going MB way if you think you can afford them now. Just watch out for the GC of these A class and C class sedans as they are not that great. Please do not go for 2nd hand unless otherwise you know the complete history of the vehicle or you know who owned it and never had any accidents.

Last edited by sgmuser : 14th October 2023 at 23:20. Reason: typos
Old 15th October 2023, 00:12   #10

The Audi A4 is a no-brainer here.
The car has great ride quality with comfortable and spacious back seats. A4 drives much better than the A class as well.

A6 / 5 series will give you more spacious back seats but I don't think that's relevant in your case.
samik_jonak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2023, 17:58   #11

It’s a been there done that situation for me. Was in a similar boat and I went ahead with A4. Go for technology plus, if you don’t have the fear of missing out then even a Premium would do the job.
Let me reiterate (as someone already quoted) it’s a segment above. If jazzy is not your thing and you appreciate timeless, cost effective and more powerful car. You have the answer.
Do post the pictures whatever you go ahead with.
Happy Hunting.
Aj_thenomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2023, 21:26   #12
BHPian

The A Class just doesn't feel like a true M-B. It has a engine that is shared with Renault and not in the same class as a A4.
AmGu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2023, 16:25   #13
rbk

Hey,

I was faced with the same dilemma a couple of months back. I was looking for a car with OTR price of under 60 lakhs. I was looking for a comfortable car which could do a lot of highway miles, with enough power for effortless driving and not so bonkers maintenance costs.

I had extensively test driven all cars that could fit in the budget finally ended up buying the Toyota Camry Hybrid. It is a little bit more pricier than both the A4 and A Class but in the long run the higher price tag will be justified by other things the car has to offer like the low maintenance costs and fuel economy.

If the badge value that the Germans bring to the table is not a matter of concern for you then I think you should consider the Camry as well. I have done about 3500 km in the car since I took delivery a little more than a month ago. I have driven it both in city and highway roads. The car is my daily driver. The car continues to impress me with each passing day.

These are the following reasons I believe why the Camry could be a serious contender for your money:

1. It has oodles of space both at the front and rear compared to the A Class and A4.
2. The suspension is on the softer side and the ride in both the front and rear seats are plush and super comfortable.
3. The running costs are extremely low compared to the Germans.
4. Long term reliability is definitely something to consider. The ODO meter can run well above 1 lakh and the car will still perform glitch free.
5. The Camry's dimensions (length, width and height) are higher than the other two.
6. Camry has a higher power output than the 40TFSI A4 and A200 Merc. The car just flies when in "Sport Mode". The power it offers is pretty engaging, and unexpected from a Camry tbh.
7. Chances are that the Camry will hold its value better and fetch you a better resale value after a few years when you decide to sell.
8. You feel cocooned and comfy in the cushiony leather seats during long drives (the front ones are ventilated too).
10. The car is heavy and planted, and the built quality is also very good. Soft touch materials everywhere and no squeaky cheap bits anywhere (not like the other Toyotas in India).
10. Last but not the least, the fuel economy the Hybrid engine offers is just jaw dropping. Considering how big and comfy the car is, I am getting about 16.5 - 17 kmpl in the city and if I go easy on the throttle the car is returning 22 kmpl on the highway. And if I go about driving like I usually do that is with heavy foot I get around 18.5 kmpl on the highway. And do keep in mind that I never go easy on the throttle, I believe I should enjoy driving every kilometre utilising the entire potential of the engine rather than saving a few litres of petrol.

Then there are few things you need to keep in mind which may deter you from the Camry:

1. The dashboard feels dated, especially the Touchscreen and in car entertainment does not do justice to the price.
2. The new generation of the Camry (which is a major facelift than an entirely new generation) is about to be launched globally. Will be a while before it reaches India, if at all it does.
3. The German interiors (especially the A Class) will be more modern and tech loaded.
4. The driving dynamics of the A4 will be better. It will be much better to drive and will be more fun. (My other car is a Skoda Octavia vRS 230 with a Stage 1 APR tune. It has a little bit of Audi running through its veins). I cant tell much about the A Class though.
5. To the average joe out there the Audi and Mercedes will ring a bell, and will be looked up to. No one knows what the Camry is. I get a lot of curious eyes on the road but I am sure they will never ever guess this is a car more expensive than the A Class or A4.

At the end of the day it is what you what out of your car. No car is bad, it all boils down to what you want from it. Do update the thread and let us know which one you finally went for!

Audi A4 vs Mercedes A-Class-img_5550.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 25th October 2023 at 16:27. Reason: Adding some bold formatting :)
rbk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th October 2023, 00:10   #14
BHPian

I will recommend to for for A4 Technology reasons are given below-

- 18 speakers Bang & Olufson sound system is best in the class.
- flat bottom sports steering wheel (Only in Technology variant)
- Audi Virtual Cockpit

Compared to A Class

- Lot more comfortable then A Class
- Spacious Rear Seat
- Bigger usable boot with Spare wheel hidden unlike A class where spare wheel eats your boot or you have to keep it home.
- Really great ground clearance (This was a deal breaker for me and I did not got C class.)

Looking at these factors I choose Audi A4 over Bmw X1, Mercedes GLA and C class
Attached Thumbnails
Audi A4 vs Mercedes A-Class-img_1655.jpeg  

Audi A4 vs Mercedes A-Class-img_1651.jpeg  

Audi A4 vs Mercedes A-Class-img_1628.jpeg  

Manuggn is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2023, 15:46   #15

Thanks friends for your valuable inputs. I have finally bought A4 Technology in metallic grey.
I was happy with Premium version, but family wanted top-end so had to shell extra 8L for that

Now as a car-non-techie, I would like to get basic tips specific for "A4", primarity for keeping it in good shape:
1. Petrol: Regular/Speed/Power ?
2. Initial run-in of 1.5k should be under 4k rpm / 120kmph ?
3. Is 3M PPF (Paint Protection Film) needed ?
4. Regular cleaning: First with dry cloth, then wet, then dry ?
5. Anything else I should get/care about? Maybe these things have been explained in some post, but I was unable to find it.

Thanks again!
LifeIsTravel is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks