Range Rover Evoque 6 3.73%
Jaguar F-Pace 4 2.48%
Other (please specify in your post) 1 0.62%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2023, 07:17   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mercedes-Benz GLC vs BMW X3 vs Audi Q5 vs Lexus NX 350h vs others

Mercedes-Benz GLC vs BMW X3 vs Audi Q5 vs Lexus NX 350h vs others-glccomppoll1.jpg

Mercedes-Benz GLC

Mercedes-Benz GLC vs BMW X3 vs Audi Q5 vs Lexus NX 350h vs others-glc.jpg

What you'll like:

• Great looks matched to solid build quality
• Premium quality interiors, supportive seats, filled with technology
• Adequate interior space and 620 litres of luggage-carrying capacity
• Fast and competent petrol and diesel powerplants
• The Mercedes 9-speed AT gearbox is now very good! And smooth too
• Well-damped suspension offers mature ride quality
• Fun to drive (unlike the last-gen GLC)! Very good handling, well-calibrated steering & excellent high-speed manners
• Loaded with features such as seat kinetics, latest-gen MBUX, transparent bonnet & lots more
• Impressive 15-speaker Burmester audio system
• 5-star NCAP rating, top-notch safety kit & a suite of electronic aids to keep you safe

What you won't:

• Expensive! Priced at 85 – 88 lakhs on-road
• More powerful 300d tune is sadly not offered on the new GLC. Period. We hope it is introduced at a later stage
• Touch-type controls can take time to get used to. Physical buttons are gone! Even ORVM adjustment is touch-based & non-user-friendly
• Back seat is more suitable for 2 healthy adults and a child. Not 3 healthy adults
• Missing features such as cooled seats, passive keyless entry, head-up display, Level 2 ADAS, full-size spare tyre (has a space saver tyre) etc.
• Small ORVMs with limited adjustment range. Clearly, form over function here
• Heavier adults will find the front seats too snug
• Suspension has a firm edge to it. That & the 19-inch wheels make potholes felt at low speeds

Review Link

BMW X3

Mercedes-Benz GLC vs BMW X3 vs Audi Q5 vs Lexus NX 350h vs others-x3.jpg

CEF_Beasts' X3 30i Ownership Review

worldcrawler's X3 xDrive 20d Ownership Review

karan561's X3 LCi Drive Report

Audi Q5

Mercedes-Benz GLC vs BMW X3 vs Audi Q5 vs Lexus NX 350h vs others-q5.jpg

Review Link

Lexus NX 350h

Mercedes-Benz GLC vs BMW X3 vs Audi Q5 vs Lexus NX 350h vs others-nx350h.jpg

What you'll like:

• Looks handsome from most angles - more European than Japanese
• A lot of technology and equipment are standard, even on the base model. Many features from a segment higher
• Brisk performance, linear power delivery and good fuel economy
• Class-leading suspension provides a great combination of ride and handling
• Five-star Euro NCAP safety rating and a long list of safety features
• Epitome of reliability. Will almost certainly trump its European rivals
• Audiophile-grade Mark Levinson sound system

What you won't:

• Only one powertrain option is available. No Plug-In Hybrid for India
• 20" wheels with run-flat tyres and no spare. This can be a problem given our road conditions
• Missing features such as massaging seats, wireless Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, etc.
• Four-seater at best. Five adults will find the interior space tight
• Long overhangs limit rough-road capability

Link to Review

Volvo XC60

Mercedes-Benz GLC vs BMW X3 vs Audi Q5 vs Lexus NX 350h vs others-xc60openingpost.jpg

What you'll like:

• Very well-priced
• Sharp-looking SUV with a premium build. Got to love Volvo's new designs
• Segment-leading features with all the bells & whistles thrown in. XC90 features an XC60 price
• Sorted road manners. Mature suspension setup
• 5-star Euro NCAP rating & topnotch safety kit

What you won't:

• Low-speed ride isn't plush. Has a firm edge & you will feel potholes & bumps
• Only one engine option offered
• Better for 4 adults onboard, due to the tall central tunnel at the rear
• The bland and now familiar rear-end styling will evoke mixed feedback
• Dealership network isn't a patch on its German competitors

Link to Drive Report

The 2021 XC60 mild-hybrid - Launch Thread

Land Rover Discovery Sport

Mercedes-Benz GLC vs BMW X3 vs Audi Q5 vs Lexus NX 350h vs others-discosport.png

What you will like:

• Modern if laid back styling – less derivative than its German rivals
• Commanding cabin with excellent visibility and space
• Astounding off-road ability
• Good on-road manners with well weighted steering for an SUV
• Build integrity and durable

What you won’t:

• Petrol engine has a bit of drinking problem if pressed hard.
• +2 rear seats are a joke and an unnecessary expense
• Cabin lacks the initial showroom appeal in terms of trim and basic touchscreen interfaces
• Expensive compared to its peers
• JLR service is poor due to indifferent Tata management

Link to Drive Report

AdiSinghV12's Ownership Review

The 2020 BS6 - Launch Thread

Range Rover Evoque

Mercedes-Benz GLC vs BMW X3 vs Audi Q5 vs Lexus NX 350h vs others-evoque.jpg

Link to karan561's Report

Jaguar F-Pace

Mercedes-Benz GLC vs BMW X3 vs Audi Q5 vs Lexus NX 350h vs others-fpace.jpg

What you'll like:

• Styling retains the Jaguar heritage to a large extent
• Sorted dynamics - ride and handling are pliant even though tuned towards the sportier side
• A Jaguar that you can actually take off-road

What you won't:

• Better for 4 adults onboard than 5
• Ordinary performance from the 2.0L engines
• Jaguar's after-sales network isn't a match for that of Mercedes or BMW

Link to Drive Report

The 2021 Facelift - Launch Thread

Last edited by Aditya : 18th October 2023 at 11:16.
RahulNagaraj is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2023, 16:54   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mercedes-Benz GLC vs BMW X3 vs Audi Q5 vs Lexus NX 350h vs others

Great competitors & fierce competition in this segment . Good for us customers.

My pick would be the X3 M40i for its fast performance, adjustable suspension, snappy gearbox & BMW's overall reliability.

The new GLC has vastly improved over the old car which was so boring. New GLC has more character. The Q5 is awesome for those looking at a value-for-money play here. I find the Lexus NX yawn-inducing, and don't like the engine / gearbox tuning of Volvo.

With Land Rover & Range Rover, the meaty models are priced higher up (starting with the Defender).
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2023, 17:06   #3
Team-BHP Support

I’d have a very simple shortlist for this one. Part of the shortlist is driven by my reluctance to include any diesel in the consideration set.

X3 M40i vs GLC petrol.

X3 M40i key downside is its nearing end of life and prospective buyers may want to wait for the next generation. Other than that though, its performance is simply in another league.

GLC: For a thoroughly up to date current generation iteration. Comfortable to sit, nice to drive and spacious boot. A complete car in every respect. I’m not a fan of the new interior trims they’ve come out with though with that pinstripe dash - looks borderline gaudy IMO but I’m likely a minority and most will love it I reckon.

Last edited by Axe77 : 3rd October 2023 at 07:55. Reason: Same content. Fixing drafting.
Axe77 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2023, 22:21   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Tough choices - the enthusiast in me wants the X3.40i / X3.30i - a beautiful daily driver for our road conditions, and one which will also see you want to embark on more road trips!
However, as a family car - the Lexus put up a fight with more comfortable rear seats, hybrid tech, and a comfortable suspension.

The others however don't excite me - having been around for a little too long, feeling a little dated barring the new GLC which seems to be a beautiful package - but the 2 Mercs we've had the pleasure of owning haven't been the ultimate word when it comes to build quality, maintenance, etc. I am not sure if I would want to buy another one, especially at the inflated prices they're asking.

Last edited by lamborghini : 2nd October 2023 at 22:23.
lamborghini is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 09:53   #5
BHPian

Would vote for the Lexus if the car is to be a daily driver. We have that in the family and its been really great. It replaced the previous GLC and compared to that the interior quality, suspension on mumbai potholes and ofcourse the smooth and silent ride of a hybrid have been far better.

That being said, the Lexus is anything but an enthusiasts car, its much more for laid back and relaxed driving.

We had test driven the X3, it had great dynamics, however it just didn't feel as special and exclusive as the lexus. Didn't consider JLR due to a reputation unreliability amongst friends.
Turbolove is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 10:47   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

This segment has been bifurcated into two sub-segments based on their performance and pricing.

1. The Regular Mid-Size Luxury SUVs : Which comprises everything from the GLC, X3 20d, Q5, NX, F-Pace to the LR Disco Sport.

2. The Performance and pricier Mid-Size Luxury SUVs : This comprises the Porsche Macan and the new entrant ie. the X3M40i and both of which cost north of a crore.

So if I had to choose one SUV from the Regular Mid-Size segment it would be the GLC300 at the moment just because the X3 30i has been discontinued or the Q5 at some massive discounts.

In the Performance category although the Porsche will be the go-to option, the bigger engines and ticked options pushes the Price of the Macan to X5 levels if not more. For the same price of the 4cyl petrol Macan, one can get the X3 M40i…

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 3rd October 2023 at 10:48.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 12:40   #7
BHPian

I would go for the X3 M40i as that’s the best of both worlds. Great performance with good practicality. And fairly reliable too. Only wish it has the newer curved screen and mild hybrid tech for better FE.
Old 3rd October 2023, 12:52   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Have owned/own 3 from the list: The Q5,GLC 300(Previous Gen) and F-pace.

The F-pace is one that has spent the shortest time in our garage, sold it in 3 years or so. While it was a good car, the resale value was even better due to the massive price hike it got after the facelift. Hence when an oppurtunity came with a bigger and better lateral upgrade, I jumped on it.
However, my main issue with the car was the suspension. It was too stiff for Mumbai's potholes. I am all for sportier rides and low body roll but this was too big a compromise.

The GLC and Q5 are both very plain jane. No complaints, they do a great job but there is no wow factor.

The X3 on the other hand, especially with the facelift and some more kit is a great blend of practicality and performance all around.

Overall, I think this category needs a shake up. It's all too generic and boring.
Sahil is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 13:44   #9
Team-BHP Support

Though the new GLC is a highly likeable machine, my pick of this segment will be the X3; it’s the right blend of performance and practicality. The Q5 is a pleasant car, but I would say it lacks any kind of excitement expected from this segment.
Old 3rd October 2023, 13:54   #10
Team-BHP Support

One differentiator for me is the Quality of equipment that most EU manufacturers give on higher models vs. the lower. This is one very important aspect, especially for someone who is used of higher variants. Someone who owns a 7 series will never be in peace in an X3, and the same goes for MB.

Though, only a few customers would have owned higher variants, but this is a very important point. One gets pulled by the brand, but you don't necessarily get all good things.

This is where Lexus excels. The quality of leather, switches, and audio, basically you don't see shortcuts or a big difference with higher-end models.

Lexus is what will be my pick, more so in a place like Chandigarh where we don't have to pay RTO on strong hybrids
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...g-hybrids.html (Chandigarh : No Road Tax on Strong and Plug-In hybrids)
Turbanator is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 15:10   #11
BHPian

Shouldn't Porsche Macan be in this list, Base version of it fits in the price & segment bracket. If Macan was to be included, that would have been my choice. For now voted for the GLC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Overall, I think this category needs a shake up. It's all too generic and boring.
Agree with you, none of these models jumps out as desirable. X3, perhaps, is better of the lot, rest being also rans!

An LC Prado at sub-1.00Cr OTR would be a game changer. Another stunner I saw recently is Renault Rafale, a head turner par none!

Last edited by vb-saan : 3rd October 2023 at 16:04. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another. Thank you!
Old 3rd October 2023, 15:20   #12
BHPian

So the differentiator here would be the features Volvo offers, however what ails it is the snob value and the same rear lights for over a decade and a half. Also, what I am more concerned about is privacy. With Geely holding 82% stake, it would be almost certain that your data, voice are all getting logged in Chinese servers.

Then comes the Jaguar, Discovery Sport or the Evoque. However their service is a big question mark.

Merc @80+ on-road may not justify the space it offers.

Lexus has a miniscule service network in tier 2 cities.

BMW vs Audi. Somehow the heart likes Audi more and that's what I voted.
Old 3rd October 2023, 17:42   #13
BHPian

I am struggling between GLC and X60. While I haven't experienced recent Mercs myself, I do take note of the quality gremlins being mentioned. Honestly, the wafer thin dealer network of Volvo is the only strike against this choice but I haven't heard a lot of horror stories about Volvo.
Old 3rd October 2023, 17:58   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbolove View Post
Would vote for the Lexus if the car is to be a daily driver. We have that in the family and its been really great. It replaced the previous GLC and compared to that the interior quality, suspension on mumbai potholes and ofcourse the smooth and silent ride of a hybrid have been far better.

That being said, the Lexus is anything but an enthusiasts car, its much more for laid back and relaxed driving.

We had test driven the X3, it had great dynamics, however it just didn't feel as special and exclusive as the lexus. Didn't consider JLR due to a reputation unreliability amongst friends.
We would love to get a detailed review from you about your overall experience with Lexus as they are so rare.
You didn't mentioned which Lexus you have?
Old 3rd October 2023, 18:22   #15
BHPian

I am not sure if people noticed but the comparison sheet in the initial post is so misleading. It shows that one can get an X3 with 350+ BHP at 70L ex-showroom while that spec is for X3 M40i which retails at ex-showroom price of 87+ L. If you put X3 diesel models into perspective, they are quite underpowered compared to the the new diesel GLC.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks