Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2023, 08:36   #31
BHPian

Re: Buying a used VW Phaeton?

Too complex, too old, too rare, parts availability will be a headache. There are better ways of spending money.

If you really want to experience that architecture, get the superb 3.6 V6 AWD in case you want to get cheap thrills. Get something for 3-4L, thrash it around for 2-3 years and then confine it to the annals of the scrap gods or, rent a different supercar whenever you please to satiate your urges for speed.
Old 14th September 2023, 12:16   #32
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutterdragon View Post
Hi,
I've always been a fan of the VW Phaeton and found a good 2012 V6 in good condition available for 10L. Is it worth investing in the car since I've only heard voices of concern and caution about it so.
Bad idea. S Class Merc of the same age would be the same price and more reliable and easier to source parts for and still that too would be a bad Idea. Even 4-5L is too high for this vehicle.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2023, 14:16   #33
BHPian

This is for purely understanding purpose. Is it possible if the OP can check history and buy this car for lowest possible negotiable price, strip it apart and sell it as spares and make profit. Most parts would be shared with Taureg and Passat? Is there any feasibility for this in India?
P.S.: Recall from a very old Top Gear episode where Jeremy would strip and sell a Porsche and make profit . Phaeton rear seat massaging sofa anyone .
SuperGirl_Dad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2023, 11:11   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGirl_Dad View Post
This is for purely understanding purpose. Is it possible if the OP can check history and buy this car for lowest possible negotiable price, strip it apart and sell it as spares and make profit. Most parts would be shared with Taureg and Passat? Is there any feasibility for this in India?
The intention of the OP is not to become a scrap dealer for the car, rather to buy the car and enjoy it.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2023, 11:33   #35
BHPian

Why not! If you have the money, time and passion I suggest you to go for it.

Either you will lose all the interest (and money) in few months or you become an expert in complex mechanical/electrical issues.
Who knows, you may enjoy fixing this car up (if something goes wrong).

Last edited by manson : 22nd December 2023 at 16:34. Reason: Typos.
Asish_VK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2023, 12:34   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
The intention of the OP is not to become a scrap dealer for the car, rather to buy the car and enjoy it.
I have NOT asked OP to become a scrap dealer . He can buy it, enjoy it and later when time comes for selling, he can sell it for spares with come profitable parts rather than selling car as a whole for peanuts. This was the query in the post. Peace
SuperGirl_Dad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2023, 12:53   #37
BHPian

Being a VW fan and fellow owner myself I must say that's brave OP!
But there's a thin line between bravery and madness. Please don't take offence.
Unless you know the car inside out, have previous experience with the car in a foreign country, know your way to import/source Phaeton parts, I'll humbly say please try to stay away from this money burning pit.
Its not that I am an expert on Phaeton, but it's the unknown variables in the equation, the miniscule number of cars that were sold and VWs general part pricing that cautions me to stay away.

I would say, you'll be much happier and safer in a Passat if it has to be a VW, if not, there are plenty of Germans out there.

Last edited by manson : 22nd December 2023 at 16:35. Reason: Typo.
ahmad.007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2023, 10:20   #38
BHPian

My response is the opposite of everyone else's.
Go for it! Albeit, after a few more lacs of negotiation. I am a surgeon and I operate even with the whole basket of risks and disasters that could trouble my case and patient. The same analogy applies to the Phaeton. Yes, it has a lengthy list of potential disasters, but what if nothing actually faults during your ownership! That would make it such a happy experience to have owned and driven a past gem of a car.

Then again, you should also be well-off enough to sacrifice the money should it come to becoming the typical ownership of an old German limousine.
Old 27th September 2023, 19:13   #39
BHPian

Hi, just saw this post. I'd say there is nothing wrong in buying a car costing 5 crore INR if you have 500 crores INR of net worth so it's technically not an investment, rather a toy which when breaks can still be maintained say for another 2 crores and finally be scrapped.

Here if you are buying a 10 lakhs worth of car, you must keep atleast another 20 lakhs spare to keep the car for a few years and use it reasonably because these VW cars are extremely unreliable post 10 year mark and on top of that you are buying a super rare car for which sourcing parts will be a nightmare. I mean it maybe possible you will never be able to source parts for this car and it's scary because transmissions and engines just fall apart with these at this age. Then very few workshops that too in major metro cities touch such cars in the first place. So unless 30 lakhs INR is something not a big deal for you, in that case sure go ahead and live your dream, after all it's your money. Again, 20 lakhs for maintenance could be an underestimate considering how rare these cars are, it may well be over that.

A more sensible option would be to find a used 2012 BMW 520d which can be bought for same price but I am pretty sure it's not gonna cost more than 10 lakhs to maintain to keep it running for a while and sourcing parts would be a lot easier at junkyard and more mechanics will be willing to work on these. And BMW anyday is a more premium luxury brand if it matters in anyway.

Last edited by manson : 22nd December 2023 at 16:38. Reason: Typo.
pta320 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 09:57   #40
ppr
BHPian

I must say I am surprised to read the answers on this thread. I have owned a Phaeton for the last 9 years, which was bought pre-owned, on the advice of a senior Team BHP member. And I thank him profusely. I have spent less than 4 lakhs in the last 9 years on a used car and that includes doing some suspension up. The only mistake I made once was giving it to the VW dealership who had no clue what to do with the car. My independent guy has done a fine job.
It’s an absolutely brilliant car and I have had pride of ownership and absolutely no regrets. I don’t believe that non AMG Mercs have the same build quality.
I did a 3000 kms drive last year with no issues at all.
ppr is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2023, 13:02   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppr View Post
I must say I am surprised to read the answers on this thread. I have owned a Phaeton for the last 9 years, which was bought pre-owned, on the advice of a senior Team BHP member. And I thank him profusely. I have spent less than 4 lakhs in the last 9 years on a used car and that includes doing some suspension up. The only mistake I made once was giving it to the VW dealership who had no clue what to do with the car. My independent guy has done a fine job.
It’s an absolutely brilliant car and I have had pride of ownership and absolutely no regrets. I don’t believe that non AMG Mercs have the same build quality.
I did a 3000 kms drive last year with no issues at all.
I couldn't agree with you more. I've had a 2011 VW Phaeton bought pre owned for the last 3 years. Stay away from the official dealership and you'll be fine. The only time I've suffered is when the dealership had no idea what they were doing.

I've done 20,000kms + in this time - the only reason I'd be forced to sell the car soon would be the NGT rules in Delhi
Shivraj88 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks