Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2023, 18:55   #1
BHPian

Booked Mercedes GLA 220d | Test-drove the Tiguan & now confused

I booked the GLA 220d4M two weeks back, after extensive test drive of the GLA 220d, GLA 220d4M, BMW18d and the Volvo XC40. I couldn't drive the Q3 as I did not get any response to my request for a test drive and the nearest Audi dealership is almost 40km from my place in Thane.

Audi suddenly woke up from slumber this week and I ended up taking a test drive of the Q3 yesterday. I really liked the drive. The car is very engaging, can be driven hard, and the Quattro system is fantastic. However, it misses out on some very basic features of modern cars (Though new to India, the model is actually five years old).

Just for the heck of it, I ended up driving the Tiguan today. Apart from a very complicated user interface and lack of physical buttons for the AC, it is more feature loaded than the Q3 and drives just as good. I am not sure if Quattro and 4Motion are the same, but I did not feel any difference in the drive.

I am now totally confused and would appreciate some dose of sense from the more experienced BHPians. What, in your opinion, is a sensible buy?
1. The GLA220d4M at Rs62.3L OTR with 3 + 3 years extended warranty. The uncertainty around Diesel vehicles is also looming large on my mind. But my heart keeps tugging at the GLA!!

2. The Audi Q3 Technology. Though I have not received a quote yet, I expect it to be between Rs55L to Rs57L OTR with 2+3 years extended warranty and a 5 years' comprehensive service package.

3. The VW Tiguan at Rs43L OTR with 4+2 years Extended Warranty, and a 5 years' comprehensive service package.

Kindly advise!

Last edited by biplab3110 : 27th August 2023 at 18:57.
biplab3110 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 27th August 2023, 19:04   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Booked Mercedes GLA 220d | Test-drive the Tiguan & now confused

Don’t bother with the Tiguan or Q3. VW’s 2.0 TSi engine is not E20 rated. They are very fine cars otherwise, but the petrol compatibility issue is a deal breaker. You heart is anyway set on the Mercedes.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 27th August 2023, 19:31   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by biplab3110 View Post
I am now totally confused and would appreciate some dose of sense from the more experienced BHPians. What, in your opinion, is a sensible buy?
1. The GLA220d4M at Rs62.3L OTR with 3 + 3 years extended warranty. The uncertainty around Diesel vehicles is also looming large on my mind. But my heart keeps tugging at the GLA!!

2. The Audi Q3 Technology. Though I have not received a quote yet, I expect it to be between Rs55L to Rs57L OTR with 2+3 years extended warranty and a 5 years' comprehensive service package.

3. The VW Tiguan at Rs43L OTR with 4+2 years Extended Warranty, and a 5 years' comprehensive service package.

Kindly advise!
I can quite relate to your situation. Have driven all these cars and here were my thoughts - Both Tiguan and Q3 are old models and due for refresh - in a year or so. Was not sure if it was worth putting money on an end-of-life model. But both from a drivers car perspective tick all the right boxes. Tiguan more so given the space and relatively low pricing.

X1 - was good, but not appealing - especially cannot get my head around 62 lacs for a 136bhp engine. And in addition the driver display is much smaller compared to others.

XC40 was great looker, drives fine but not premium enough inside.

Coming to the last one - GLA is probably the best of the lot. The diesel was amazing and for the pricing it offers much more - both luxury and performance. But the boot I felt was quite small and overall the vehicle does not have a good road presence from a style perspective - from some angles it looked like a larger hatchback. And again there is the question about long-term diesel vehicle future. Petol GLA is pretty dull again.

Given this conundrum, I have decided to wait it out until next year and revisit.

Last edited by graaja : 27th August 2023 at 20:45. Reason: Trimming quoted text. Please quote only a small or relevant part of the post.
CarsAndDrives is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th August 2023, 19:44   #4
BHPian

Hey man, don't consider the Tiguan or the Q3. Nor should you consider any other car other than GLA in the entry-level luxury car segment. Reasons being:

1) Mercedes and BMW have the most badge value in the segment. But now, BMW has churned out the X1 with an awfully poor engine and a higher price, which makes it uncanny for a buy.

2) The GLA has the best interiors in the segment, mature and classy. Tiguan's interiors are also amazing, but when you sit in both the cars back-to-back, you will feel the difference.

3) A premium car is a premium car. No denying that. There is a difference between a 320nm motor and a 400nm motor.

4) YOLO (purely to the heart). Don't buy a commoner's car and be cribbing all day. Buy yourself a nice car and enjoy every second with the luxury (for atleast 5-6 years). I have experience with this. (I am experiencing this with my Astor. PM me for more)

Read more in my thread: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxur...sedan-suv.html (BMW X1 upgrade | Budget of 60-75L | Fun-to-drive Sedan or SUV?)

Cheers!
mgastor2022grey is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th August 2023, 21:21   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsAndDrives View Post
But the boot I felt was quite small and overall the vehicle does not have a good road presence from a style perspective - from some angles it looked like a larger hatchback. And again there is the question about long-term diesel vehicle future. Petol GLA is pretty dull again.
I am not much bothered about the looks or road presence of the GLA. I quite like the sedate appearance. I am simply blown away by it's performance, comfort and amazing interiors. It will mostly be used by me, alone, for my commutes to the office (30km each way). Hence, a smaller boot is not a constraint. It is just the diesel that is putting doubts in my head. I don't want to wait it out, as the purchase coincides with a personal milestone.

Last edited by Turbanator : 27th August 2023 at 23:22. Reason: quote corrected.
biplab3110 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2023, 23:17   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am not much bothered about the looks or road presence of the GLA. It is just the diesel that is putting doubts in my head. I don't want to wait it out as the purchase coincides with a personal milestone.
You don’t live in Delhi NCR. Diesel is a non issue for Mumbai people. GLA 220d is the easy choice here.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 00:18   #7
BHPian

My immediate family was in the same situation. Here is my simple analysis:
Have a minimum budget of 60+L OTR, the X1 and GLA diesels are the best option. I felt the X1 diesel drove better on Mumbai roads, compared to the Mercedes. Both the test drives were on Western Express Highway (both sides) so we got an experience of driving in traffic and on a little less traffic. Drove on SV road to understand how it tracked potholes and my SIL and I both preferred the X1 over the GLA.
However, if you are on a tight budget and want a hefty discount, the Q3 is your best choice. A discount of 11+L from Audi South tilted the balance in its favour. The Quatrro was another thing that went in its favour.
We also liked at the Tiguan and considered the Kodiaq, but both don't have the same badge value.

If budget is not an issue the battle is between the Mercedes and BMW. Hope you find your winner!!

Last edited by manson : 28th August 2023 at 18:44. Reason: Typos.
Maverick1977 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 08:35   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am not much bothered about the looks or road presence of the GLA. I quite like the sedate appearance. I am simply blown away by it's performance, comfort and amazing interiors. It will mostly be used by me, alone, for my commutes to the office (30km each way). Hence, a smaller boot is not a constraint. It is just the diesel that is putting doubts in my head. I don't want to wait it out, as the purchase coincides with a personal milestone.
Given that the usage is primarily office commute, take a look at EVs from Hyundai and Kia just to see how they fare compared to your shortlist. They may lack the badge value but certainty not lacking in wow factor and exclusivity. Driving an EV for office commute would be fantastic - you will not go back to ICE cars again. Give it a shot before rejecting this option.

I would say drop VW from your list - the combination of below avg reliability and lousy customer service is not something you would want to deal with at this budget.

Mercedes offers 8 year warranty on drivetrain. Everything is a tad more expensive but overall after sales experience will be better compared to other luxury brands. This would be a safe bet if you want to keep it simple.

Q3 should be a good choice as well but nobody starts with Q3 as their first choice.
androdev is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 10:34   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Booked Mercedes GLA 220d | Test-drove the Tiguan & now confused

Most of the cars in the 35 - 50 lakh price range punch well above their weight. Whether it's the Tiguan, Hycross, Camry, Tucson or Ioniq 5.

The GLA isn't my kind of a car. If you have a budget of 60 lakhs, check on discounts for the Q5. A childhood friend bought one earlier in 2023 for 63 lakhs OTR.

If I were in your shoes, my top choices would be the Q5 & Kia EV6 or at a lower price band, the Ioniq 5 & Kodiaq. The Tiguan is also a wonderful SUV if you can live with its firmer ride, but I love the Kodiaq more due to its adaptive suspension. A true luxury car feature.
GTO is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 11:28   #10
Senior - BHPian

If you are dead set on getting a "luxury badge" I would go for the GLA. It is one of the best entry level luxury cars I have driven and is surprisingly opulent.

If you don't care too much for what other people think of you, then I would get the Tiguan or Tucson diesel. Don't expect much badge value but they are undoubtedly a superior car, more comparable to an X3 or GLC. The cheaper price tag is just a bonus.
Cresterk is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 13:15   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Driving an EV for office commute would be fantastic - you will not go back to ICE cars again.

I would say drop VW from your list - the combination of below avg reliability and lousy customer service is not something you would want to deal with at this budget.

Q3 should be a good choice as well but nobody starts with Q3 as their first choice.
Agree with all your points. Don't discount the EV6 or I5. Both are stunners and in very different ways. I regularly watch a red EV6 on my office commute and it's a real looker.

While the Tiguan is very desirable at that price point, VW is not known for adequately supporting this premium customers. There just seems to be a higher number of dissatisfied B6/8 Passat and Tiguan owners. Refer this ongoing fiasco: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...upee-bill.html (Volkswagen Tiguan | Rear Differential Failure | 5-lakh rupee bill), from what I understand, the Tiguan also has a unusually stiff ride especially for rear seat passengers.

The Q3 is also a solid option with the bulletproof 2.0 TFSI and the freebies thrown in. Refer this recent post: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5612772 (2022 Audi Q3 Review). Looks stunning in black!

Last edited by itwasntme : 28th August 2023 at 13:20.
itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 17:43   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
I felt the X1 diesel drove better on Mumbai roads, compared to the Mercedes. Both the test drives were on Western Express Highway (both sides) so we got an experience of driving in traffic and on a little less traffic. Drove on SV road to understand how it tracked potholes and my SIL and I both preferred the X1 over the GLA.
However, if you are on a tight budget and want a hefty discount, the Q3 is your best choice. A discount of 11+L from Audi South titled the balance in its favour. The Quatrro was another thing that went in its favour.
The BMW X1 did not meet my basic requirement - performance. Even the 18d is just about adequate for city drive and struggled to go up a parking ramp in my society.

Did your relative finally buy the Q3? What was the OTR price from Audi South Mumbai?

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post

While the Tiguan is very desirable at that price point, VW is not known for adequately supporting this premium customers. There just seems to be a higher number of dissatisfied B6/8 Passat and Tiguan owners. Refer this ongoing fiasco: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...upee-bill.html (Volkswagen Tiguan | Rear Differential Failure | 5-lakh rupee bill), from what I understand, the Tiguan also has a unusually stiff ride especially for rear seat passengers.

The Q3 is also a solid option with the bulletproof 2.0 TFSI and the freebies thrown in.
Thank for your inputs on VW. Definitely helps in dropping it from the list
Not keen on EVs yet.
GLA is still the first choice (from heart) due to it's performance, opulent interiors and features. However, if what I have been reading comes true for my quote for Q3 (I will get the quote in September with "festive offers") could be Rs10L+ less than that of GLA. Is the GLA worth the difference? I guess not (Head does not accept the GLA with this premium).

Then comes the risks with each car - Diesel ban/phase out for GLA, E20 for Q3. In my view, the diesel ban / phase out is a higher risk. Any measure implemented will drastically reduce the resale value of Diesel cars. In comparison, I feel, E20 is a lower risk. Since implementing E20 will directly affect health and performance of millions of cars running on Indian roads, E10 fuels will have to continue.

Fingers crossed and waiting for the Q3 quote!

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Last edited by graaja : 28th August 2023 at 19:15. Reason: Merging back to back posts. Please use Edit or Multiquote
biplab3110 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 19:12   #13
BHPian

Re: Booked Mercedes GLA 220d | Test-drove the Tiguan & now confused

If Q3 and GLA 220d are offered at the same price, then GLA but if you get 10 lakhs off, Q3 is a great deal.
I drive a 2013 Q3 2.0 TDI and it runs like new even now. Have clocked almost 80,000 kms in it and many happy road trips. Haven't taken a test drive of new Q3 but from the reviews, it is great.
4WheelPilot is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2023, 11:28   #14
BHPian

If performance blows you away, the new Volvo C40 recharge might be worth a consideration as it may fall into that price bracket.

That aside, you may not go wrong with the GLA220d 4matic. Diesels are still sold widely even by mainstream brands such as Tata, Mahindra, Hyundai and Kia and a diesel is a diesel is a diesel. The combination of torque and efficiency is hard to match.

I have been using a GLA220d 4MATIC for over 15 months now and also own a Jeep Compass 2.0 BS4 diesel and recently added the Hyundai Venue N Line 1.0 DCT to my garage.

The fuel efficiency part is a psychological blocker! I floor the diesels without hesitation knowing that it ll barely dent the FE but the turbo petrol is rather sensitive to throttle inputs and I always seem to subconsciously back off or hesitate to floor the Venue when an opportunity presents.

It might be a personal thing and may not be on a typical petrol heads mind but might be worth giving a thought to!
clementj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2023, 11:53   #15
BHPian

Quote:
I am now totally confused and would appreciate some dose of sense from the more experienced BHPians. What, in your opinion, is a sensible buy?Kindly advise!
There is no sensible buy in the luxury compact segment. IMHO they are all overpriced and terrible value for money.

Now, once we get that out of the way, if you are looking purely for a badge and feel good factor I will pick between X1 Diesel and Q3, in that order. Both cars are actually spacious in the rear.
  • BMW X1 - the newest, most spacious, but least powerful. Badge pick.
  • Audi Q3 - 5 years old, but comes with AWD standard, spacious in the rear, weird steering (I had it as a loaner once).
  • Mercedes Benz GLA - a decent car, but its appearance is tiny for my liking. Luxurious interiors though.
  • Volco XC40 - spacious in the rear, not a fan of that engine.
  • (Volvo C40 recharge - sloping roofline limits headroom)
  • Tiguan/Kodiaq/Tucson - generic SUVs, no badge
Hyundai IONIQ 5 - this would be my pick in the 50 lakh range.

This car is from a segment above. bigger and faster, loaded with features, pricier than all the ones mentioned above globally, and in India its cheaper. No brainer for me considering your use case.

Last edited by inwester : 30th August 2023 at 12:00.
inwester is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks