Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2023, 19:07   #1

Brand new BMW X1 Vs Used Porsche Macan

Hello fellow BHPIan’s. I need a suggestion. I am a car enthusiast and go for very long drives. I have done multiple Mumbai/Delhi Trips and Bangalore Delhi also. I also had incidents where my Accord once broke down and I was left in the middle of nowhere. My modified Gypsy had also broken down once in Himachal but that was an easy fix.

I am looking forward to buy a luxury car/compact SUV which should be dependable with minimum breakdowns and roadside assistance in case the car does break down. I have 2 options in mind, first is BMW X1 - first hand or a Porsche Macan - 2nd hand. There are a few Macan options available on Carwale and few other sites. I am scared of BMW because of the horrible stories I have heard about frequent breakdowns, but for Porsche also I am not sure how much complex the car is in case the car does break down. My budget is max 60 Lakhs and I am in NCR region so diesel is out of option.
Please suggest/recommend your valuable thoughts. Thanks in advance, Team Bhp family!

Last edited by GTO : 9th August 2023 at 10:46. Reason: Poor language & grammar. Please type your posts properly
vaidabhinav is offline   (6) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 8th August 2023, 19:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Brand new BMW X1 Vs Used Porsche Macan

In my book it is definitely the used Porsche Macan.

See link;

https://finder.porsche.com/in/en-IN/...l=macan&page=2

The new BMW X1’s are front wheel drive and 3 cylinder engines and they are simply not worth the asking price.
shankar.balan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th August 2023, 20:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

Porsche Macan anyday. The new X1 may have all the creature comforts that were missing in previos BMW'w but once you drive it, you will be disappointed.
pedrolourenco is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2023, 21:32   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

I bought a 2017 Porsche Macan R4 in 2020 that had done 15k kms, was the best decision! It’s super fun to drive and luckily came remapped already that made it even more fun. You can remap yours for under 50k and it will be keep you smiling from cheek to cheek. Leave alone the x1, it will be as fun as the X3 m40i !
Reliability seems great until now, just basic servicing that’s all. No major hiccups.
Sahil is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 9th August 2023, 10:51   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Definitely the Porsche Macan between the two. It's way more "car per rupee", as is typically the case with pre-owned luxury car purchases. Follow our used car checklist (including service history, checking past insurance claims etc.) to the T.

Both brands have a good reputation for reliability. But as you have seen with your Honda & Maruti, any car can break down today. Reliability simply isn't what it used to be, due to BS6 diesel exhaust systems, complex electronics, turbo-petrol engines, dual-clutch ATs, a laundry list of tech features and the arms race to bring out your product to market. Even the mighty Toyota Fortuner has seen breakdowns due to BS6 diesels.

Don't get disillusioned by the single breakdown you had with either of your cars. But as a rule, avoid cars that have developed a reputation for problems.
GTO is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 9th August 2023, 11:39   #6
Senior - BHPian

Off-topic question please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
You can remap yours for under 50k and it will be keep you smiling from cheek to cheek.
What were the numbers pre and post remap Sahil? : )
I don't know much about tuning but the price seems very reasonable for tuning a Porsche branded vehicle, unless it doesnt matter the make of the car Vs. complexity to tune.
Old 9th August 2023, 11:43   #7
BHPian

Macan any day. We just got a 2021 Macan from Porsche approved, and it's leagues ahead of the new X1 in terms of drive feel.

The only alternatives against this would be a larger suv if you want space. But if you're going compact, the Macan is the way to go.
d_payne is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2023, 13:49   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
Off-topic question please.

What were the numbers pre and post remap Sahil? : )
I don't know much about tuning but the price seems very reasonable for tuning a Porsche branded vehicle, unless it doesnt matter the make of the car Vs. complexity to tune.
Here you go
https://www.quantumtuning.in/ecu-rem...%20-%2001/2018)
Frankly, feels faster than the numbers suggest. Always eager to be revved. Downside is that there is a slight bit of turbo lag that you eventually get used to by keeping it in the right gear and revv band.

Last edited by Sahil : 9th August 2023 at 13:53.
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2023, 15:17   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here you go
https://www.quantumtuning.in/ecu-rem...%20-%2001/2018)
Frankly, feels faster than the numbers suggest. Always eager to be revved. Downside is that there is a slight bit of turbo lag that you eventually get used to by keeping it in the right gear and revv band.
Oops I put the wrong specs, here is the correct one: https://www.quantumtuning.in/ecu-rem...%20-%2001/2018)

Last edited by Sahil : 9th August 2023 at 15:19.
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2023, 18:04   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oops I put the wrong specs, here is the correct one: https://www.quantumtuning.in/ecu-rem...%20-%2001/2018)
I am not able to see anything mentioned in the Orignal/Tuned sections nor the chart.

Brand new BMW X1 Vs Used Porsche Macan-1.png
Old 11th August 2023, 10:39   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
I am not able to see anything mentioned in the Orignal/Tuned sections nor the chart.
Choose Macan - 2.0 TFSi - 248-BHP (01/2014 - 01/2018) from the "Change Model" dropdown at the bottom left of the graph area.

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st August 2023 at 17:44.
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2023, 11:23   #12
BHPian

Hi, Macan any day everyday!!

With all due respect, the current 3-cylinder BMW X1 and a Porsche Macan can't be used in the same sentence.
cefiljoseph is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th August 2023, 11:24   #13
BHPian

If it has to be between the two options you have listed, I would go for the Porsche Macan, that is if the vehicle is in excellent spot less condition with less than 25-30K on the odometer.

As you have also mentioned that you would like a car to be reliable, I would recommend a new car that has been in the market for at least 2 years and is proven to be more or less trouble free, BMW X1 may be the wiser choice with BSI and road side assistance, but the powertrains offered on the new X1 are laughable, why dont you add the Q3, Kodiaq and GLA 220d to your list and try these out?

Good luck with the hunt!
abaliga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2023, 11:51   #14
BHPian

Let me ask one question, why did you even bring Porsche Macan into consideration?

If you answer involve keywords likes "performance" "brand value" "love for cars" "passion" "looks", then the X1 with that puny engine doesn't even stand a chance to be part of your choices.

I used to think Porsche cars are expensive, but if you consider the fact that what we are getting in the new X1, i feel X1 is much more expensive than Porsche. Slavia 1.5 tsi Ambition(costs 15 lacs) has better engine than X1, atleast on paper.

Last edited by ramki.grandhi : 11th August 2023 at 11:55.
ramki.grandhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2023, 13:13   #15
Senior - BHPian

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rehaan2 View Post
Choose Macan - 2.0 TFSi - 248-BHP (01/2014 - 01/2018) from the "Change Model" dropdown at the bottom left of the graph area.
Brand new BMW X1 Vs Used Porsche Macan-tune.png

That's a pretty nice bump for the value of 50k
Maky is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks