Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2023, 16:48   #1

New BMW M340i Vs Used BMW M3 / M4

This is my first post on TeamBHP and I am really excited for this one.

I am on the lookout for a German powerhouse and build the ultimate 2 Car Garage.

Current Garage

1. Jeep Meridian 4x2 Limited AT - Used for the both city and highway driving
2. Kia Sonet GTX+ 7 DCT - Strictly for city driving

The Kia was bought in March 2022 and the Jeep is rather new and was purchased in August 2022. The Meridian has been a delight to drive and has proved itself as exceptional in every field be it comfort, features, high speed stability especially when compared to the Fortuner. The only downside about this car is the lack of power and low GC but considering that it was bought with the sole purpose of being a reliable family car, it does the job pretty well.

The Kia on the other hand with its 1.0L turbo petrol engine delivers immense power but lacks comfort. The suspension is too stiff to drive in the city and the weak brakes do not give any confidence to take it on a long drive.

Now the plan is to sell the Sonet and replace it with a sports sedan which will be used as a daily driver and occasional long drives.

Must Haves:

1. 350+ BHP
2. 3L engine
3. 4 seater

My Choices:

1. BMW M340i - The car has everything that a car enthusiast wants. Great looks, Powerful engine, room for customization. My brother is quite sold on getting this car as he is getting a good finance plan as well. I am not very keen on the looks of the facelifted M340i and I liked the previous one better but I highly doubt that you can find one in the used car market.

2. Used BMW M2/M3/M4 - I think that a used M3/M4 makes sense as you get more power and it is more fun to drive (Because full RWD whereas M340i is AWD)

3. Any other used 350+bhp car - Not older than 2017

Questions:

1. What do you guys think will be the best option out of the above 3?

2. Which is a better option financially, a used or a new luxury car?

3. Where can I find used luxury cars at the best prices?
Speedster@911 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 5th August 2023, 21:00   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: New BMW M340i Vs Used BMW M3 / M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedster@911 View Post

This is my first post on TeamBHP and I am really excited for this one.

Welcome to the forum. There are multiple ownership threads on M340 so you should go through those first. Some of the BMW dealers now also have M340 for test drives, so you can drive one before taking a final call. M4 test drives won't be easy, especially if you are looking for an old one and have to depend on the car dealer or end customer trying to sell you M3/ M4.

Regarding your specific questions, I will try to answer

Quote:
I am on the lookout for a German powerhouse and build the ultimate 2 Car Garage.
Don't know your age or in what stage of your carrier you are but there is no one easy definition of Two car garage or how that goalpost changes. For some, it can be as basic as a Jimmy and an old M car, or others can dream about a G-Wagon and Turbo-S

Quote:
Now the plan is to sell the Sonet and replace it with a sports sedan which will be used as a daily driver and occasional long drives.
You are in a reasonably good position, Meridian plus a fast car does make sense.

Quote:
Must Haves
1. 350+ BHP
2. 3L engine
3. 4 seater
My Choices
Quote:
My Choices:

1. BMW M340i - The car has everything that a car enthusiast wants.
Easiest and most VFM way to get into a fast club. It can do a lot of things that no others will do and you have to go into a much higher price band, where you will be paying not just for a better car but due to the duties (CBU vs CKD), if you want something faster or for a different driving experience.

Quote:
I liked the previous one better but I highly doubt that you can find one in the used car market.
It will grow on you, I won't bother much on the looks. Choose a colour that looks best to you.

Quote:
2. Used BMW M2/M3/M4 - I think that a used M3/M4 makes sense as you get more power and it is more fun to drive (Because full RWD whereas M340i is AWD)
You have mentioned 4 doors as a must so M4 and M2 are both out. If two doors are acceptable, why are you not looking at the new M2? Some of the variants are available off the shelf.

Regarding the RWD vs AWD, I prefer the AWD for daily use; it is far more useful and safe. After a while, you will notice shortcomings on that RWD. One of the reasons I sold my M4 was how it behaved while accelerating.

Here's what Jeremy says

The Clarkson’s Farm presenter took the opportunity to claim the M4 is a machine from the maker of “the worst winter cars of them all”, thanks to their tail-happy, rear-wheel-drive nature

https://www.driving.co.uk/car-review...bmw-m4-review/

Quote:
3. Any other used 350+bhp car - Not older than 2017
Not a used car person so cannot comment, but if I am spending so much, I will change the criterion to "Not older than 2020" We are in August of 2023, so I won't buy something that old in this segment and at that price point.

Quote:
Questions:

A Year or two old less driven can be a big saver. But beyond 2 years, I will avoid it as the technology changes so fast and even warranties get over by 2/ 3 years unless extended.

Quote:
Pretty tricky to answer. You can find one here on classifieds or elsewhere, the best is from knowns in your circle or direct sellers. Used car dealers can add 10-20% margins, reducing the savings.

Based on the above my suggestion will be to pick an M340i in the colour you like the most or consider an M2 if you are ok with 2 doors.

Last edited by Turbanator : 5th August 2023 at 21:07.
Turbanator is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 5th August 2023, 23:10   #3
BHPian

Quote:
1. What do you guys think will be the best option out of the above 3?

Welcome onboard.

1. Based on your current garage, I am assuming this is your first high power car. Given that, I will stick to AWD, and cars that can be used every other day.
Option 1, new M340i - brilliant bang for the buck
Option 2, slightly used Audi S5, you can find a few for 40-50 lakhs - stylish car, that can be used daily.

2. Financially speaking a slightly used say, a 2 odd year old, lovingly used luxury car is ideal. But this is a loaded sentence, read carefully. You need to know how the car was used or abused - a close friend, relative, colleague or neighbor’s car might make sense. For all other purposes a new car is probably better.
316kmph is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th August 2023, 09:51   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Pick up the upcoming M340i Shadow Edition with the additional 360 camera, upgraded brakes etc, and you're set I feel.

If bored after that:

1. Remap it or get a BMS JB4, Dinan type piggyback
2. Upgrade to Pilot Super Sport tyres
3. Get the M Performance Exhaust
4. xxxx

Do test drive the X3M40i too - a more practical alternative to the low GC of the M340i, and more family-friendly with less stress on highway drives.

Last edited by itwasntme : 6th August 2023 at 09:55.
itwasntme is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 7th August 2023, 12:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

One thing about the new m340i it seems coding to remove speed alert is no longer possible
bottle is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2023, 14:26   #6
BHPian

Quote:

1. BMW M340i - The car has everything that a car enthusiast wants. Great looks, Powerful engine, room for customization. My brother is quite sold on getting this car as he is getting a good finance plan as well. I am not very keen on the looks of the facelifted M340i and I liked the previous one better but I highly doubt that you can find one in the used car market.
There is a 2021 model available right now on teambhp classifieds:
https://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy...3-Series.html/
anshumandun is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2023, 17:37   #7
BHPian

There's quite a difference between a M340i and a M3. But I would not like to highlight that. I would like to highlight the joy of getting a new car vs pre-owned.

It is based on a mindset if you want a old car or a new one. Definitely, the older one will be a good deal, but you will always consider it old, not brand new. Whereas, a new car is to your liking.

So I'd suggest you to go for the M340i, its definitely a good car.
mgastor2022grey is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th August 2023, 18:13   #8
BHPian

My two cents.
Luxury car liability is a long term commitment as the total cost of ownership is much higher than the initial buying cost.
From my own experience, the average service cost for a BMW 3 GT in the fourth year is 50k per year (labor and consumables) and about additional 1 lakh towards tyre replacements. The service cost will increase with every additional year.

Therefore, I suggest to go with New BMW instead of the used one irrespective of the model.
A new BMW gives total peace of mind during warranty period while the used one is a gamble, unless you are buying from a trusted source (family/friend).

I wish you to make an informed decision and enjoy the investment.

Last edited by harishpr : 7th August 2023 at 18:14. Reason: Add on point
harishpr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2023, 21:15   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The Kia on the other hand with its 1.0L turbo petrol engine delivers immense power but lacks comfort. The suspension is too stiff to drive in the city and the weak brakes do not give any confidence to take it on a long drive.

Is the stiff suspension on the Sonet an excuse to get a sports sedan or is it a real pain point? If it is too stiff, please drive all the cars you've shortlisted carefully - sport sedans are known to be more stiff than regular cars out there.
Turbohead is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 7th August 2023, 22:21   #10

Since you are ditching the Sonet because of its stiff ride, a M340i isn't going to be comfortable either. In reality, it would be stiffer.

My advice is that you stretch your budget a bit more and get the Audi S5. It has roughly the same power figures as the BMW and a much more compliant ride.
Ruxh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2023, 22:47   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Is the stiff suspension on the Sonet an excuse to get a sports sedan or is it a real pain point?
No, it's not that. It definitely has its downsides but the thing is that it has already been more than 2.5 years since we purchased it (There is a mistake in the delivery year - it was 2021) and it served a good purpose in being a compact city car. The decision to sell was due to a number of factors and the most important one is the resale value since it is 1.0. I had gotten it valued at Spinny last year in Nov and I was pretty shocked when they offered me in the range of 10.5-11L. The purchase value was close to 14.75L so a 3.5L dep for a Kia in its 1st year is quite massive.

And owning a sports sedan has always been a dream and now since the budget is finally allowing me it makes sense to replace the Kia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Some of the BMW dealers now also have M340 for test drives, so you can drive one before taking a final call.
First of all, I can't figure out how to multi quote so have to reply like this

So, I want to make this clear first that I am pretty young right now and can't afford to buy a car. My father is looking to buy his first luxury car and I am just helping out. And my brother has convinced him somehow to buy a sports sedan.

Now if you ask about my dream garage it would be a Land Rover Defender and a 2016 Audi R8 V10 Plus. I hope to achieve it one day!

I completely agree with you on M340i being the most VFM. The M2 is a good car but again the newer BMW designs are just not growing on me for some reason.

And you are right about the M3/M4 not being very family friendly but I just find them really cool. I saw a couple of M4's at the Mod Ball Run Flag off which happened here in Gurgaon a couple of months ago and fell in love with them. Look at those beauties!

Also, I wanted to ask if there is any good option in Mercedes at this price range? Since there is no rush,we just want to keep our options open.
Attached Thumbnails
New BMW M340i Vs Used BMW M3 / M4-20220725_093811.jpg  

Last edited by Turbanator : 7th August 2023 at 23:56. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Quoted posts trimmed.
Speedster@911 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2023, 23:54   #12
Senior - BHPian

Don't be swayed just by the fancy seat of the pants acceleration of the M. Yes, it feels great, looks great, sounds decent, handles great. But its still far from a daily driver though it is a very personal choice.

If you read around, you will find people complaining about the Seltos suspension being firm, relatively harsh and not enjoyable on daily basis. People call Boxsters, caymans, 911 great daily drivers, but sit in one for some kms on semi urban roads and you will really start missing your 20-lakh sedans, mini-SUVs. Even the comfort modes on these will make you feel every pebble on the road.

Take an really extended test drive (used car dealers, new car dealers wherever; don't forget a few family members along). The suspensions that many enthusiasts claim complaint and livable are for most people unbearable on daily basis. Read Skoda RSs, AMGs, Ms, Coopers. There is a M340i bhpian who sold his car early as he couldn't like with it on daily basis. Another one bought a Tiago EV as daily replacement.

Instead would suggest to build a 3 car garage (figure your parking arrangements), retain your 2 cars and get this as an additional toy (late evenings, weekends and longer drives). If you are willing to spend on these Ms, am sure the million rupee residual value of the Sonet won't pinch much if retained.
dipen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2023, 00:28   #13
BHPian

Being a M340i owner , will recommend you to reconsider your decision if you going to use it as a daily-driven car. The suspension setup of the 340i is very stiff, will be almost twice as stiff as the Sonet. You will quickly start missing the comfy suspension from the Hyundai's and Toyota's.

M340i is an excellent weekend car and a VFM entry point to the fast-car category but using it as a daily is not a practical choice. All those power can be fun in the highway tarmac but inside the city, you will be struggling to put down the power.

My suggestion would be to definitely get a secondary city car like the Tiago EV hatchback or Citroen C3 if you planning on the purchase of M340i.
SolidSnake is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th August 2023, 00:30   #14
jsl
BHPian

Quote:

Hey! Welcome to the forum.

So first of all, I would like to suggest you consider options other than a sedan for daily driving in the city because Gurugram is prone to frequent water logging even when there is a little rain. So you would have to take out the Meridian for city runs during those times. Also, many Gurugram roads become unbearable to drive after rainfalls leaving huge potholes and craters which makes it more challenging to drive a sedan.

Secondly, I was reading a Bhpians post where he bought an M340i as his daily driver for mostly city drives and due to the tyre’s sidewall being thin, his tyre burst twice after he drove over a pothole, so he had to buy a second car for city runs(correct me if am wrong). Which also negates the use of M340i in the city.

So I would suggest you look for something with a higher ground clearance like the X3(if you can extend your budget).
If you want to stick to sedans then I would suggest you consider the Audi S5 Sportback also which is a very underrated car. It has better suspension as compared to M340i but the tyres of the Audi are also relatively low profile. So you would have to be very careful while driving these sedans in the city as they also scrape at almost every speed bump.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 8th August 2023 at 04:58. Reason: Quoted post trimmed.Please proofread before posting + solicitation removed
jsl is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2023, 11:34   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So, I want to make this clear first that I am pretty young right now and can't afford to buy a car. My father is looking to buy his first luxury car and I am just helping out. And my brother has convinced him somehow to buy a sports sedan.
Well, this does add some valuable context

I'd then veer away from the M340i if it is going to be driven by Dad and also (sparingly) used as a family car. Mercedes Benz might be better as it is far more luxurious. Maybe a C300d?

By the way, what is the budget?
itwasntme is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks