Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2023, 15:07   #1

My first luxury car purchase | Budget up to 70-lakhs

Here we go. Put down my thoughts over the last 2 days on a word doc. Edited it multiple times to make it perfect. And posting my first “WHAT CAR” query.

My current garage – I have a Kia seltos (picked up the top end DCT petrol in 2020). Gets used by the missus and me for local driving and frequent trips to in-laws in mysore. Love the SPORTS mode here and I frequently dabble in that within B’lore when I find a 500 metre empty stretch. Don’t ask me where.

Hyundai Verna – 1.6 VT VT petrol – bought this as a second hand in 2014 from the owner directly back then when OLX was the only source. Got a sweet deal back then, 7 lac for a 1 year old verna with 10K on the odo which has now done almost 70K kms without any trouble. (clutch replacement pending) Currently gets used with a driver as by family for all commutes during the week (including office and shopping trips)

Triumph Scrambler 900 – Bought this right before Covid started. Done minimal miles but whenever I take it out in Bangalore it bring a massive grin on my face.

I have always been a car fanatic, I actually have a couple of scrapbooks where I have cut out photos of some beautiful cars from back in the 90s. Contessa was one of my first loves, the Old mercs and even to some extent the newer ones have always had a soft corener. I even have a Daewoo Cielo miniature toy still in my collection (white colour) As I have become older I have realized that my passion for cars transcends all parts of my life. On my XBOX I like playing Football and Racing games only. F1 or Forza or Dirt 5 are some of the only games I play – when I play. I watch F1 and have travelled to multiple circuits over the last few years as part of the annual holiday (have a kimi raikonnen autographed hat)

God has been kind and I am now in my late 30s and on the lookout for a German powerhouse to convert all this love of cars into a decision to get my garage expanded. I test drove the 520D (they have discontinued the 530D) and I was quite happy with the experience. TD done for a Audi A6 and that was also nice. It looks beautiful indeed and has a timeless elegance about it. But none of them gave the shove in the back acceleration which was expected. My friend asked me after the 520 D TD – how was it?
My reply – "it was good but I was expecting life changing experience. Maybe the Kia has spoilt me."

And then last week I went and TD for a X4 (second hand) and MY OH MY. That was AMAZING. Even thought the TD for only couple of kms on a Sunday, the X4 even in comfort mode was able to bring a smile to my face. With this I have decided to search for my 3 litre monster and I will be patient looking for it. Don’t have anything from Audi here. Merc and BMW become the choice. Merc seems to be again and again coming up as a chauffeured car and doesn’t have those dynamics so now we are primarily down to BMW.
Within BMW, with the old X4 being discontinued along with the 530D, any new 3 litre will be prohibitively expensive (unless I consider the M340i)

In the second hand market – the 3 possible choices are 530D, X4 or the 630D. (and yes a used m340i though I have high doubts about that coming in the second hand market soon) I don’t want another SUV after the Seltos (yes it’s a mini-SUV and not a Fortuner or a Legender)

X4 – polarizing views on this car indeed. We have those who love it. And those who hate it. Clearly BMW agrees with the latter and hence discontinued. But reviews of the X4 on youtube (india and abroad) show that the car has a lovely engine and dynamics. I specifically love the ability to drive it carefree in Bangalore roads.

530 D – Loved the G30 and the new face lifts as well. The GC is a big worry as I scrapped it quite some during the TD on the new models. However this TD isn’t doing justice since its on the 4 cyl 2litre engine. It was smooth as butter but didn’t get my pulse racing. I was more worried after the first scraping on which bump will I end up scraping.

630D – frankly I don’t think I should stretch to the 6 series just because Its available. The car is a looker for sure and probably better looking than the 530D in my view. It is a step up

Time for some objective Points of discussion:

WHAT will the car be used for – I have a beater which works just fine and hence this car will NOT be used unless drive goes on leave.
This car will be used on the weekend for any and every trip that I take within the city and outside the city. If the luggage requirements are on the higher side – then the Seltos will be taken.
Given this I expect a 10K usage per year and nothing more than that. Unless I start doing cross country drives (part of the wish list as I near the 40s)
Family is short in height and small in numbers (one young kid and we are all 5’7 or lesser in height – relevant for the sloping roof of the X4)

What is the budget – the Range is from 50 lac to 70 lac. Kept a wide range just to ensure that I don’t miss out on any good options .

How old a car – I have tried to keep this objective and decided to not go for anything which was earlier than 2020. 2-3 years is enough for a car to show that it’s a lemon. With a 2-3 year range, I am hence keeping my mileage counter to 30K to 40K only. Anything more than this will mean the car has been driven a LOT and I would like to avoid that.
Where will you buy from – My 3-4 sources which I am tracking almost regularly are
• BigBoyzToyz – Lovely collection of cars. Their pricing is supposed to be the best in the market and hence keeping their prices as benchmark while I look for other sources.
• BMW Used cars – Good collection, been in touch with the Chennai, cochin and bangalore folks while looking for a 530D or a 630D or a X4
• OLX – surprising collection of cars here in my selection criteria – specially in kerela. Talking to a friend to see if he can do a couple of TD for me before I make a decision to drive down to KL for a TD
• Spinny and Cartrade- they don’t have a great collection of the 3 litres and most of them are flooded with the 4 cyl 2 litre cars across BMW and Merc.
• Local bangalore Dealers – tried a TD with Citizen cars here for the X4. Over priced as such and will mostly stay away from them.

So what do you want from us?

1. Views on the objective conditions. Am I being too strict. Specifically, the age of the car (has to be 3 years or lesser) and Kms (less than 40K KMS)

2. Suggestions on the X4 vs 530D debate which is going on in my head.

3. Suggestions on how I can go test drive the right cars out there in kerela and Chennai and Mumbai.. Without having to travel every week and spend a couple of lac before even buying the car.

4. What rule of thumb should I use to decide on the worthiness of the deal. Assuming no damage to the car and NCB through the 2-3 ownership years and a clean service history.
3 year old car at 30% depreciation from invoice value? I am seeing a lot of 2020 520Ds at 50 lac. 2020 X4 cost 60 lac. 2021 X4 cost 70 lac. 2018 530Ds going for 45 lac. 2020 530Ds going for 60 lac. Not sure of the right price. This is probably the most useless question and I know it already as I am typing..

Last edited by Rehaan : 3rd August 2023 at 11:04. Reason: Adding some formatting / spacing :)
NazgulLOTR is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 1st August 2023, 23:47   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: My first luxury car purchase | Budget up to 70-lakhs

First will start with the questions:

1. 3years & 40K is very liberal if you are new to used cars. I kept my buffer for cars within manufacturer warranty (where I can get at least 3 years extension on warranty), and run below 20K - even those over 15K were looked down upon frankly.
Advantages of this: these examples being under company warranty meant that they would be solely serviced by the company with full record of everything.
No reason for the kms but generally these cars just look cleaner with fresher interiors.

2. X4 - like you said, it can tackle everything you would go over. No ground clearance issues like the 530D. Explosive performance meets practicality.
530D - arguably interiors feel more premium, better handling.

3. Best bet is to first get relevant details from the dealers like warranty, number, etc. Then find a connect with a bmw/brand of your choice service advisor through your network who can help you by checking the service history, accident and warranty history. Once these come clean, then fly in and close.

4. I would also look at Delhi. Right now used car prices are completely off the charts with no real rationale on terms of depreciation. That 2020 530D asking 65 was probably sold for 70.
Car prices are typically lower up north so would start looking there as well, and highest down south but do calculate cost of re-registration.

Now coming to options:

Buying a luxury product is all about how it makes you feel. If it doesn't make you feel good, you would be better off in something practical instead. The X4 which captured your heart - get it, don't worry about SUV or sedan - it's about what you felt better behind the wheel off.
If buying used, key is patience. No M340i maybe on sale right now, but maybe one comes up tomorrow.

I would suggest a drive of the 330i, X3.30i, C300D, GLA35, Macan as well. They're 4 cylinders but have a decent power jump compared to the 20D and could be good options.
Also, the Porsche dealer in Mumbai has a pre-owned 2020 Macan S for sale apparently and with some hard bargaining it could be an option.
The 6GT is a good option as well - with the air suspension even ground clearance can be raised marginally to help with bad roads. But maintenance will be more expensive (primarily suspension parts). However the added dimensions means its not as chuckable as the 3/5.

Last edited by Rehaan : 3rd August 2023 at 11:05. Reason: Removing large quote :)
lamborghini is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2023, 12:03   #3
BANNED

Re: My first luxury car purchase | Budget up to 70-lakhs

Why would you not think about stretching that budget a bit and going for Volvo XC60, the best car in its segment with class leading features and terrific hybrid engine ?
unicorn_nike is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2023, 12:45   #4

Quote:
1. 3years & 40K is very liberal if you are new to used cars. I kept my buffer for cars within manufacturer warranty (where I can get at least 3 years extension on warranty), and run below 20K - even those over 15K were looked down upon frankly.
Advantages of this: these examples being under company warranty meant that they would be solely serviced by the company with full record of everything.
No reason for the kms but generally these cars just look cleaner with fresher interiors.
Thanks. Moved my search to now cars within warranty or cars where owners have taken the extended warranty. Saves me the extra dough as well.

Quote:
If buying used, key is patience. No M340i maybe on sale right now, but maybe one comes up tomorrow.
THIS. THIS is going to be they KEY. After some disappointments in the search of the right car or some TDs which don't live upto my expectations, i fear i will lose the patience. Awaiting for a M340i to come up for the sale

Quote:
Also, the Porsche dealer in Mumbai has a pre-owned 2020 Macan S for sale apparently and with some hard bargaining it could be an option.
The 6GT is a good option as well - with the air suspension even ground clearance can be raised marginally to help with bad roads. But maintenance will be more expensive (primarily suspension parts). However the added dimensions means its not as chuckable as the 3/5.
Spoke to the Ameeth at Porsche and the price is on the higher side. a 3 year old Macan S at 80 lac with only 5K does look like a good deal. Added it to my list of cars i'm tracking in Mumbai.
Would like to avoid the air suspensions and stick to steel springs and adaptive dampers. Don't want a massive bill in a few years. Have a A7 gathering dust in the building where the dampers have completely given up and the owner is just not willing to shell out the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unicorn_nike View Post
Why would you not think about stretching that budget a bit and going for Volvo XC60, the best car in its segment with class leading features and terrific hybrid engine ?
The EVs are coming. Would love to own a 3litre monster before that day comes. The near future even the 7 series might become 2 litre engines
NazgulLOTR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2023, 10:37   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NazgulLOTR View Post
3. Suggestions on how I can go test drive the right cars out there in kerela and Chennai and Mumbai..
Chennai M340i on sale on team-bhp classifieds

https://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy...3-Series.html/
androdev is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2023, 11:52   #6
BHPian

Used car scene in Bangalore is very tricky to deal with, most cars are priced outside the ideal price based on the condition of the vehicle, I was searching for a well maintained Octavia for over 6 months and was not able to find anything that made economical sense, most cars that were run less than 20-25k were priced at 80-90% of its sticker price when new, I am guessing this goes unnoticed as the new vehicle prices have shot up too much in the last 3 years.

If possible do add the 30i to your list, namely 530i, 630i, 330i, 330Li and X3 Xdrive 30i unless you absolutely want to buy a car with 6 cylinders, the 2.0 litre turbo petrol is almost as powerful as the straight six diesel and is silky smooth as well.
abaliga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2023, 12:07   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Chennai M340i on sale on team-bhp classifieds

https://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy...3-Series.html/
I found another m340i in Bangalore. Testing that as we speak.

the good thing about all the m340i is that they are all at MAX 2 year old and hence all of them would be fully serviced at the showrooms and as long as there haven't been any claims those should turn out to be great cars.

Will check out the chennai car if this one falls through.

Last edited by Axe77 : 4th August 2023 at 14:14. Reason: i --> I
Old 4th August 2023, 13:25   #8
BHPian

Do not compromise on getting a 3.0 litre engine for the fun-factor. You have other economical cars, let this one be your powerful yet practical monster. That said, I can't think of 3.0 litre options in your budget outside of BMW or Mercedes either. Porsche could be an option as someone else commented.

Tough choice between the X4 and the 530d!

You say it would be a weekend car, but honestly, a car should be something you can take our whenever you're in the mood, without any compromise.

I stay in Mumbai South, and the areas I mostly visit do not have massive speed-breakers. My weekend drives are at most to Lonavala. A low-slung 530d would go everywhere I need to without scraping. Don't need much boot space either, therefore would work for me.

But this is your car, so how bad are Bangalore speed-breakers, especially in areas you visit often? You don't want to frequently be in situations where you cannot take the 530d because you're worried about scrapes.

What is your outstation luggage load? Long highway drives are the best place to enjoy your BMW. Won't be a great feeling if you're forced to take the Seltos because the 530d cannot carry all your luggage.

The low-slung 530d will definitely be more fun, but it's not like the X4 is massively inferior in that regard.

I'm leaning towards recommending you go for the X4, with the hope that you'll use it at every given opportunity.
kadanaJ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th August 2023, 13:38   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaliga View Post
Used car scene in Bangalore is very tricky to deal with, most cars are priced outside the ideal price based on the condition of the vehicle, I was searching for a well maintained Octavia for over 6 months and was not able to find anything that made economical sense, most cars that were run less than 20-25k were priced at 80-90% of its sticker price when new, I am guessing this goes unnoticed as the new vehicle prices have shot up too much in the last 3 years.
HEAR HEAR... The city has gone crazy with the prices and the fact that our taxes are the highest means that in general the used car market will always be lucrative here and hence demand will outshine supply. Someone was selling a GLS 400D at Citizen Cars at 100% of original invoice value after 3 years of usage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaliga View Post
If possible do add the 30i to your list, namely 530i, 630i, 330i, 330Li and X3 Xdrive 30i unless you absolutely want to buy a car with 6 cylinders, the 2.0 litre turbo petrol is almost as powerful as the straight six diesel and is silky smooth as well.
They are refined. They are always going to have enough power for anything that i require in the city or on the highway. But they are NOT the same as a 3 litre 600+ NM torque engine. I don't have experience of driving a lot of them but the limited exposure has got me convinced that i want a BIG monster while they are available. the 530D is discontinued... the X4 is discontinued.. even the 630D is discontinued... The diesel engine should be experienced once in my lifetime.. Unless.... 3.4.0.i.
Old 4th August 2023, 13:46   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadanaJ View Post

You say it would be a weekend car, but honestly, a car should be something you can take our whenever you're in the mood, without any compromise.

But this is your car, so how bad are Bangalore speed-breakers, especially in areas you visit often? You don't want to frequently be in situations where you cannot take the 530d because you're worried about scrapes.

What is your outstation luggage load? Long highway drives are the best place to enjoy your BMW. Won't be a great feeling if you're forced to take the Seltos because the 530d cannot carry all your luggage.

I'm leaning towards recommending you go for the X4, with the hope that you'll use it at every given opportunity.
The car will be a weekend car because I have decided to NOT drive daily as I move gracefully towards my mid-life. The driver can deal with the city's notorious traffic while i get to browse T-BHP and other finer things in life. Weekends are where I drive and hence this car will be used mostly for that.

B'lore roads aren't that bad to be honest. There are the odd sections which I have to go through where tarmac is damaged but it's not like i'm driving on roads made of mud and gravel. And am sure the adaptive dampers on the 530D and the X4 should be able to manage that easily. The speed breakers however do worry me. Even on my 10 year old verna whenever it bottoms out it pains me a LOT. the 530D will scrape as i go over town. I might get used to it eventually but it's a hassle for sure.

Long weekend loads are just a couple of suitcases and only the occassional summer vacation trip for the kids might require the seltos to come. I also feel that what can be fit in 2 suitcases can also be fit into 1 suitcase by removing the non-essentials. If there is space it will be filled and if there isn't stuff will be removed. Why else do we keep moving to bigger houses as we keep on accumulating stuff..

i definitely second on the point that this needs to be a fun car.. and for now the X4.. 340i.. are the fun cars am tracking... yet to get a handle of the porsche.. (budget doesn't permit)
Old 4th August 2023, 14:09   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Spoke to the Ameeth at Porsche and the price is on the higher side. a 3 year old Macan S at 80 lac with only 5K does look like a good deal. Added it to my list of cars i'm tracking in Mumbai.
Would like to avoid the air suspensions and stick to steel springs and adaptive dampers. Don't want a massive bill in a few years. Have a A7 gathering dust in the building where the dampers have completely given up and the owner is just not willing to shell out the money.
Negotiate hard on the Macan if it's available & look at the Delhi market as well for some similar examples.
Most of these dealers keep a high mark-up so you may get lucky!

One added plus going in for the X4 / SUV is that it'll be a great tourer - as you mentioned cross country trips.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2023, 00:59   #12
BHPian

I hope you find your desired car soon.

I can see a 2021 X4 in classified

https://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy...1/BMW/X4.html/
Sahil00090 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2023, 01:57   #13
BHPian

Quote:
530 D – Loved the G30 and the new face lifts as well. The GC is a big worry as I scrapped it quite some during the TD on the new models. However this TD isn’t doing justice since its on the 4 cyl 2litre engine. It was smooth as butter but didn’t get my pulse racing. I was more worried after the first scraping on which bump will I end up scraping.

4. What rule of thumb should I use to decide on the worthiness of the deal. Assuming no damage to the car and NCB through the 2-3 ownership years and a clean service history.
3 year old car at 30% depreciation from invoice value? I am seeing a lot of 2020 520Ds at 50 lac. 2020 X4 cost 60 lac. 2021 X4 cost 70 lac. 2018 530Ds going for 45 lac. 2020 530Ds going for 60 lac. Not sure of the right price. This is probably the most useless question and I know it already as I am typing..
Hey buddy,

Do check with the dealers in Delhi. There are few clean examples (1st owner, 30-40k driven, non-accidental) 530ds available for decent prices. 2019 model is available for approx 41 lakhs and 2020 model is available for around 45 lakhs and these prices are negotiable.
Akash_1806 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2023, 11:46   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akash_1806 View Post
Hey buddy,

Do check with the dealers in Delhi. There are few clean examples (1st owner, 30-40k driven, non-accidental) 530ds available for decent prices. 2019 model is available for approx 41 lakhs and 2020 model is available for around 45 lakhs and these prices are negotiable.
As advised by others who are more experienced, for my first luxury buy i'll stick to cars within the warranty so 2021 or latter cars only being searched for now. The few cars in 2021/22 of the 530D near my city are all 70+ and that is crazy. I'm yet to figure the way to scour the delhi market as the travel itself and the time required to finally close the deal is going to be a big hinderance. Any issues or delays will mean another trip to Delhi. If only there was a trusted agency who could do all the ground work and charge a commission for doing that.

The search might have come to an end. A week more and i'll reveal the 340i which is curremtly under negotiation.

Wish me luck.

Last edited by Sheel : 28th August 2023 at 10:44. Reason: Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD! Thanks.
Old 12th August 2023, 19:12   #15
BHPian

Quote:
:
Hey Nazgul, was curious how was your experience with Porsche? Last year while I was considering a Macan, I found their behaviour weird.
When I inquired about a couple of used Macans - one with ~500 km and one with 5000 displaying 80 - 90l on the site, they claimed these are new cars on which I will have to pay registration on top. Both of them listed Mumbai location with one and two previous owners respectively. When I questioned how this was possible, they just claimed that that might be bad information and something along the lines of we just put these randomly out to gauge interest.

Even when I was trying to get a custom colour and build combo for a new car, they randomly inflated timelines to 18 months and tried to push in stock variants.

Overall, I found the whole experience to be shady enough for me to ditch the brand all together at that point.

Just curious if I was the only one selected for some special treatment

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks