Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2023, 10:42   #1
BHPian

Which is the cheapest city in India for used luxury cars?

When I say luxury cars - I mean the 3 Germans, Volvo and Jaguar.

I did a quick search of cars less than 4 years old and having less than 30k on the odometer. The results in Delhi were cheaper by a lot. That kind of surprised me. If anyone has a logical answer, I am all ears.
invidious is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 28th July 2023, 11:18   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Which is the cheapest city in India for used luxury cars?

Since a sparsely used luxury car is always on my radar as a next upgrade, I frequently do online window shopping. As far as I have seen - NCR region seems to be much cheaper than all other areas. Although not sure about how genuine it will be even if it seems to be sparsely used from a kilometer perspective. The older cars 6-7 years old start becoming significantly cheaper due to the 10/15 year old NGT rule.

The south seems the most expensive with very high prices quoted. Especially Karnataka and Kerala. Partly tied to the higher road tax and increased initial costs.

Mumbai seems to be somewhere in between both.

I think I read recently in this forum itself, someone from Kerala flying to Delhi, buying a car there, driving it down and reregistering in Kerala and it was still significantly cheaper.

In Kerala, the luxury used car business seems to be a huge one with some large organized players like Royal Drive and Motorwagon creating a premium experience and all seem to have a lot of inventory of different models.
Rajeevraj is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 28th July 2023, 11:53   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Which is the cheapest city in India for used luxury cars?

Delhi-NCR without a doubt.

- It is the largest market for new luxury cars. Hence, the supply to the used market is logically the biggest too.

- The taxation structure for cars in Delhi-NCR and neighbouring regions is lower than in say, Mumbai or Bangalore.

- Diesels approaching the 7 to 8 year mark are let go for cheap due to the 10-year ban on them.

There is no market like Delhi-NCR for used luxury cars.
GTO is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 28th July 2023, 12:03   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Delhi NCR is the cheapest.

Taxes on new cars are lower than places like Mumbai or Bangalore, so the initial price is less. More importantly, the hard cap on life of 15 years for petrols and 10 years for diesels means year on year depreciation is very high. Especially for diesels, where 8 year old cars sell for literally nothing.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th July 2023, 16:29   #5
BHPian

You can also register the cars in Union territories like Puducherry, where on-road price in just 50000 above ex-showroom price. But you would have to give fake documents for it, which might lead you to legal trouble.

Without a doubt, Delhi NCR is the cheapest place to buy Luxuries, due to some obvious reasons
mgastor2022grey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2023, 09:31   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgastor2022grey View Post
You can also register the cars in Union territories like Puducherry, where on-road price in just 50000 above ex-showroom price. But you would have to give fake documents for it, which might lead you to legal trouble.

Without a doubt, Delhi NCR is the cheapest place to buy Luxuries, due to some obvious reasons
The Pondicherry road tax got restructured few years back. I believe it’s 8% now for cars above Rs20Lakhs Ex showroom. Earlier it was Rs50000 for below Rs20L and Rs1Lakh for above Rs20L. Like wise, in the North - UP Road tax is considerably lesser compared to Delhi. Gujarat is one of the least otherwise, amongst the bigger states in the country ( 4 to 6% Road tax ).
Veelubai is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th July 2023, 10:29   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Since a sparsely used luxury car is always on my radar as a next upgrade, I frequently do online window shopping. As far as I have seen - NCR region seems to be much cheaper than all other areas. Although not sure about how genuine it will be even if it seems to be sparsely used from a kilometer perspective. The older cars 6-7 years old start becoming significantly cheaper due to the 10/15 year old NGT rule.

The south seems the most expensive with very high prices quoted. Especially Karnataka and Kerala. Partly tied to the higher road tax and increased initial costs.

Mumbai seems to be somewhere in between both.

I think I read recently in this forum itself, someone from Kerala flying to Delhi, buying a car there, driving it down and reregistering in Kerala and it was still significantly cheaper.

In Kerala, the luxury used car business seems to be a huge one with some large organized players like Royal Drive and Motorwagon creating a premium experience and all seem to have a lot of inventory of different models.
I have seen on Youtube, videos of Kerala dealers selling Delhi cars, which have not yet been transferred to Kerala, at a slight margin from the price which it is available in Delhi. Of course, they don’t give any guarantees, but say the car has been checked and found ok. Meter tampering is not assured.
sparky@home is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 15:06   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
This is a fairly popular topic for Kerala car youtubers. Im also residing in Kochi(and Bangalore) and have plans to get a 320d F30 from Delhi by next year.

There are used car dealers getting cars from other states and selling it in Kerala as well. I know folks who get normal cars like swift/Innova for less that 5Lakhs and make a lakh in profit. Im sure for Luxury cars the profit margin of these dealers must be even higher.
Draken is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 16:37   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Delhi NCR is the cheapest.

Taxes on new cars are lower than places like Mumbai or Bangalore, so the initial price is less. More importantly, the hard cap on life of 15 years for petrols and 10 years for diesels means year on year depreciation is very high. Especially for diesels, where 8 year old cars sell for literally nothing.
Have heard a lot about this, that NCR is the cheapest. I am on lookout for one myself; any pointers to reliable dealers / other sources ? Thanks
Cinquecento500 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 18:34   #10
BHPian

A word of caution, please try and get as far as possible from direct customers.

These second hand car dealers are unscrupulous, most are tied up with insurance companies, who get total loss vehicle repaired and sell in lots to dealers.

I've a friend in Riyadh working in the claims dept., in a multinational insurance company, he came one day home in a brand new Toyota Camry, I congratulated him, he laughed and told me he got it from his company for 21K Riyal, (on installments for 1.5k SAR per month)brand new from showroom was around 75k Riyal. His Camry was made up of 2 totalled cars one from the front and other from back, which was surgically cut and joined, with 1 year guarantee from the dealer who did the surgery.

So please do a through scrutiny before signing up.
Vinod_nair is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 21:21   #11
BHPian

That's not a surprise.
NCR has lower Road taxes, and draconian rules to ensure car can not be driven after 10-15 years.

Coupled with the culture of enjoying what has been earned, leads to best used car market in the country.

Last edited by OffRoadFun : 30th July 2023 at 21:27.
Old 31st July 2023, 09:17   #12

Will this be right time to ask this question - "For someone who isn't based out of Delhi-NCR, how does one go about finding the right car before actually making the trip to delhi to inspect and finalise a deal"

Are there any reliable dealers (good dealers can also sell you bad cars.. yes yes) or are there any agencies who do outstation 3rd party inspection.

Am currently based in Bangalore and the prices down south for a relatively unused 3ltr engine is crazy. Just yesterday saw a GLS 400D 3 year old, bought at 1.2 Cr in '20 (Current pricing is 1.6 i believe) being sold for 1.1 Cr.
NazgulLOTR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2023, 22:05   #13
BHPian

Delhi - NCR undoubtedly. Mouth watering deals for used premium vehicles you cant imagine in other cities. Recently one of my friend closed a Maserati Ghibli at an unbelievable deal in Delhi and the price difference for a similar spec'd car in Chennai was a whopping 9L. He did checked in other cities like Mumbai, Bangalore, but no one was able to even closely match the deal.
Old 10th August 2023, 12:06   #14
BHPian

Just bought a 2014 320d from Gurgaon. I live in Kerala. Took a flight to Delhi, stayed with a friend for 4 days, found a car, checked it out, bought it and it's now on its way south.
What I learnt
- narrow down what you want to buy. If you go there looking for "a cheap luxury car - any year, any brand", you are very likely to land up with garbage. I did a lot of reading, and decided I wanted a 320d, or a 520d.
- do lots and lots of research on the car you want. While some on teambhp are walking encyclopedias on all cars ever made, most of us aren't. This is the reason I recommend you select one or two models. And then know everything about it. You MUST know more than the dealer, for your particular chosen model, else you'll be taken for a ride (sorry for the pun)
- you have to be there in person. Remote inspection just doesn't work. Start combing olx about 4 or 5 days in advance. Any earlier is a waste of time since the car is likely to be sold by the time you get there. Also use other channels - like other dealers friends and family may have previously used.
- take along a friend, ideally a local from Delhi. Even if you can speak Hindi fluently. The presence of a local always makes a dealer think a little bit before bullying.
- don't forget to check with the car showroom. They may have a suitable vehicle. Even an older vehicle which they may have got as part exchange.
- be mentally prepared to NOT buy a car, if you don't find the right one at the right price. Don't put yourself under pressure.

I won't repeat the usual advice about proper inspection, as per the tbhp checklist.

Last edited by surfatwork : 10th August 2023 at 12:08.
surfatwork is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks