Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which Car should I buy?
The BMW M340i 80 78.43%
The Volvo XC40 Recharge 6 5.88%
You missed out on a great option - See my post below! 5 4.90%
Wait it out! Better options are around the corner! 11 10.78%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2023, 18:44   #1
Senior - BHPian

Midlife Crisis Remedy - Help me choose a car for ~80 lakhs

A Dash of History

It's fair to say that I've been a devout car enthusiast for as long as my memory can recall, a trait I've proudly inherited from my father. The love for vehicles started with our trusty 1996 Daewoo Cielo Automatic and gradually evolved when we introduced a Mitsubishi Lancer SFX to the mix. The crowning jewel, however, was my father's final purchase - a BMW 3 Series F30 320D. Even after a solid nine years, this gem remains an integral part of my collection.

In 2014, following my father's sudden departure from this world, life's relentless demands and monetary restrictions put a momentary damper on my love for cars.

Current State of Play

Now, the occupants of my garage include a 2014 BMW F30 320D, a 2020 Hyundai Tucson Diesel AT, and a 2018 Honda City Diesel MT. The City dutifully serves as the everyday runabout, while the Tucson, with its practicality and comfort, is my go-to for chauffeured rides. However, the BMW, though seasoned, still holds a special place in my heart and hands when the urge to drive takes over.

My professional life calls for an SUV as factory runs aren't exactly friendly to saloons. As I recently celebrated my 40th birthday and find myself in a comfortable financial position, the prospect of a swankier car, budgeted at around Rs 80 lakhs, has become quite a tangible reality.

If I opt for an SUV, it would serve the dual purpose of leisure and work. But let's be real, it's not a necessity. A bit of a sad confession though - while my love for driving still runs deep, my hands-on time behind the wheel has dwindled. Proof? My loyal BMW has only clocked less than 30,000 km over its 9-year tenure.

The Candidates

Option 1: The BMW M340i

Pros:
Now, here's a machine with promise - a 6-cylinder petrol BMW!
The engine's growl is pure music to an enthusiast's ears.
Typical BMW handling - precise, responsive and a joy to manoeuvre.

Cons:
Given my track record, it'll probably clock only about 30,000 km in the next decade.
Backseat comrades may not be too pleased with the ride quality.
With the march of the EV brigade, I wonder if I'm investing in a soon-to-be relic?
And let's face it, the colour palette is a bit on the humdrum side.

Option 2: The XC40 Recharge

Pros:
Here's a curveball - it's quicker than the M340i!
The power delivery is sheer insanity, in the best way.
Then there's the famed Volvo safety and reliability - a comforting reassurance.

Cons:
Again, the backseat ride quality is a bit on the stiff side.
And, let's not mince words, the interior feels a bit yesterday.

Option 3: You are missing a great option!

Am I overlooking any other splendid options that might suit my needs? Your insights would be much appreciated!

P.s. I already test drove and ruled out the Hyundai IONIQ 5 and Kia EV6.

Option 4: The "Patience is a Virtue" Approach

Why hurry when we might have some promising contenders on the horizon? The 2024 BMW 5 Series / i5 models were recently announced, and the Volvo C40 is also launching soon. I am also hoping that Hyundai might launch the Dual Motor IONIQ 5 in India sometime soon.

Last edited by AbhiJ : 25th May 2023 at 18:51.
AbhiJ is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 25th May 2023, 21:01   #2
BHPian

re: Midlife Crisis Remedy - Help me choose a car for ~80 lakhs

I m of the view that one should definitely have a luxury performance sedan in his garage and M340i is the perfect car to fulfil this gap in your garage.
Though it wouldn’t be an upgrade in terms of space as compared to your 320d but every time you will push the accelerator, you will feel the difference.

Spending big bucks and not using the car much is a big disadvantage as you wouldn’t be able to get that value out from the product.
On the other side you should really consider X3 M40i too. It would be a perfect car for factory runs too and with the B58 inside the hood, the performance would be great too.
Jatin247 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th May 2023, 23:33   #3
BHPian

re: Midlife Crisis Remedy - Help me choose a car for ~80 lakhs

Why not an X3 40i? It's an SUV which you will be able to use every day, has all the niceties and the same B58 from the M340i. You won't catch me recommending an SUV over a sedan anywhere on this forum but yours is the perfect scenario for the X3.

PS- If you really feel like going all out, a Mini convertible will be super fun to drive.
revsperminute is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th May 2023, 09:11   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Midlife Crisis Remedy - Help me choose a car for ~80 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Now, the occupants of my garage include a 2014 BMW F30 320D, a 2020 Hyundai Tucson Diesel AT, and a 2018 Honda City Diesel MT.
You have a very sorted garage. The oldest car is the 320d, but there really is no point in selling an 8-year old BMW that is working perfectly, reliably and giving you driving pleasure. I am sailing the same boat with my '13 530d. We'll get peanuts for our perfectly running cars, so better to use them for a little longer.

- As much as I love the M340i, you already have a BMW sedan and very low running. If you decide to buy it, hold off for a few years. Sell your 320d once it has aged, then replace it with an M340i. Even better, a pre-worshipped M340i.

- If you have to buy a new car today, it has to be the X3 M40i. An SUV you can drive to your factory without worry, has adaptive suspension (huge advantage) and will be way more practical than the M340i for your purposes.

- Are you open to used? You already have a luxury sedan & an SUV. How about a used Mustang? Or a Porsche? Or an ///M car / AMG? A sports car with a luxury sedan (320d), SUV (Tucson) and beater (City) will be quite a garage. I even found a Macan S for you. It is so much fun that you cannot imagine!

- Personally, I am in the same shoes as you. Have decided to use my existing cars for longer and hold off on that "special purchase" for 2 - 3 years. Invest that 80-lakhs, make it 1 - 1.4 crores, then go buy something even more special. Am only saying this because you already have a great garage and this 80-lakh spend will be a completely discretionary purchase.

Last edited by GTO : 26th May 2023 at 09:14.
GTO is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 26th May 2023, 11:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
l
- If you have to buy a new car today, it has to be the X3 M40i. An SUV you can drive to your factory without worry, has adaptive suspension (huge advantage) and will be way more practical than the M340i for your purposes.

I even found a Macan S for you. It is so much fun that you cannot imagine!
X3 M40i... 2 problems.

Almost 1Cr on Road on road if bought new here in Kolkata... So currently out of budget. I also feel that the X3 has dated interiors....

Thanks! Will check out the Macan!
AbhiJ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2023, 17:50   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Midlife Crisis Remedy - Help me...
Do you say it like you mean it?

Replace 320D and get a niche fun two door coupe/conv like Z4. As @Turbonator says, it's not what you drive but when you drive.
androdev is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th May 2023, 18:31   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Do you say it like you mean it?
Don't worry...I have predecided the name for the new car .... Therapy....
AbhiJ is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th May 2023, 13:16   #8
BHPian

If you have not driven a mid engine RWD car yet, I would recommend giving the Porsche 718 Cayman a try. Since your usage is less, you can hold this keeper for more than a decade and have fun.

There is one in Chennai but slightly over your budget. https://finder.porsche.com/in/en-IN/...reowned-DVXQRN

Last edited by carthick1000 : 27th May 2023 at 13:19.
carthick1000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2023, 13:49   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I even found a Macan S for you.
GTO, that Macan S has been in my shortlist too
Sad that the owner din’t option Sport chrono package etc. Unsure on PASM too.

Anyone has had luck with getting Porsche to add these options in retrospective?
Last I checked with Porsche Chandigarh, they flat out refused. Or perhaps any third party shop can retrofit this?
International sourcing for these parts would be a PITA too.
Old 27th May 2023, 14:52   #10
BHPian

Porsche all the way. You already have a decent BMW. GTO took almost all my words out of my mouth.
Old 27th May 2023, 15:05   #11
BHPian

Get a used Cayenne Turbo. V8 SUV with precise handling. Practical and family friendly too (except the G forces)
Old 27th May 2023, 17:13   #12
BHPian

Hi AbhiJ, I would second GTO's thought process. Used is definitely the way to go. Have you considered maybe the X3 xDrive30i M Sport? You could get a great deal in the used market. I would probably have sold off the City. One sedan and one SUV for me is the perfect garage. I would avoid electric vehicles since factory visits in Kolkata would typically involve going to places that may not have adequate charging facilities. It would be a hassle for you.

Last edited by mugen_pinaki27 : 27th May 2023 at 17:17.
Old 27th May 2023, 17:16   #13
BHPian

My suggestions:

Pre-owned options:

1. Porsche Cayenne Turbo

2. Porsche Macan S / Turbo

New purchase:

1. Stretch the budget and get X3 m40i

2. M340i

XC40 recharge will lack the Ride Quality and Top Speed expected at this budget, otherwise a good option which can save money also (both purchase and running costs).
Old 27th May 2023, 23:36   #14
BHPian

I would take a long hard look at the Audi S5 and a fleeting glance at the A35 AMG as well
Old 28th May 2023, 00:25   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumer View Post
I would take a long hard look at the Audi S5 and a fleeting glance at the A35 AMG as well
As the owner of one, I feel the S5 isn't as special for a mid life crisis car. 🙈

It's a perfect jack of all trades and a helluva looker, but the low gc, long wheelbase make a perfect recipe for kissing speedbumps, and the AWD Quattro is great for grip but not for thrill. Remember, it's a fwd biased AWD set up.

If you're going for pure driving thrill and leaving sense out of the way my options are almost all Porsche. A Macan S is practical and fun, and a 718 with a possible lift kit can be accessible fun everyday. Even a base 718 is more pure fun than a faster car.
d_payne is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks