Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2022, 09:59   #16
BHPian

re: BMW M340i vs Mercedes-AMG GLA 35 | Booked the M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
I must sheepishly admit I love cutting big cars with a Polo GT. I enjoy it a lot :-)
I have had people cut me even when I am driving extremely capable cars. I never understood why. I think its quite reckless to consider public roads as track. Doesn't matter if its Polo GT or Baleno. What's the point of false sense of superiority while risking others life? On another note, no one is talking here about the difference in ride quality from 330i GT to M340i or GLA35. When i test drove GLA35, the suspensions were so stiff, it was an instant no from me. M340i is quite better in those aspect but still tad firm.

As a M340i owner, i suggest you test drive extensively before making up your mind on any performance car. It's a very capable machine but you really cannot feel its full potential on public roads but it does give you a sense of belief that if someone does cut you off, you can "drop a gear and disappear" yet you should let them because they enjoy it.

Last edited by kashesh : 4th November 2022 at 10:03.
kashesh is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th November 2022, 11:04   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

re: BMW M340i vs Mercedes-AMG GLA 35 | Booked the M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashesh View Post
I have had people cut me even when I am driving extremely capable cars. I never understood why. I think its quite reckless to consider public roads as track. Doesn't matter if its Polo GT or Baleno. What's the point of false sense of superiority while risking others life? ...

it does give you a sense of belief that if someone does cut you off, you can "drop a gear and disappear" yet you should let them because they enjoy it.
Maybe I should not have copy-pasted the "cut" phrase from the post to which I replied. What I mean to say is that I enjoy driving a less capable car such as Polo GT and giving it the beans especially if I am passing a M340i. I am not going to cut lanes or inconvenience any other road users. I just want to demonstrate the GO power of Polo GT and let the world know that I am having a lot of fun under 10L. If the owner of "extremely capable" 100L car thinks "anybody driving slower than him is an idiot, and anyone going faster than him is a maniac", he is free to drop a gear and watch me glide over the potholes. Bangalore drivers can relate to me
androdev is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th November 2022, 11:15   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Congratulations. Can't possibly go wrong with the M340i. Did BMW buy your GT 330i as a swap or are you selling that privately?
Selling it privately and looking for a buyer

Just for everyone's awareness -

I have made the M340i decision without a test drive. TD cars are generally unavailable!

That said - I am a BMW owner for 6 years. I have had the X1 Diesel as well. So I feel like I do not need a test drive for a 6 cylinder, more powerful BMW.

Getting the car in December. Will post reviews for sure!

Last edited by Turbanator : 4th November 2022 at 11:52. Reason: Back to Back posts merged.
mrugu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th November 2022, 11:57   #19
Senior - BHPian

Re: BMW M340i vs Mercedes-AMG GLA 35 | Booked the M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrugu View Post

Getting the car in December. Will post reviews for sure!
Congratulations. Am on the fence for a M340i myself. The mind vs heart fight.

Considering that the LCI with refreshed interiors should launch early next year, did you manage to get a discount/deal? Which colour did you choose?
Old 4th November 2022, 12:00   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
What I mean to say is that I enjoy driving a less capable car such as Polo GT and giving it the beans especially if I am passing a M340i.
The latter part is probably unnecessary.

Quote:
I just want to demonstrate the GO power of Polo GT and let the world know that I am having a lot of fun under 10L. If the owner of "extremely capable" 100L car thinks "anybody driving slower than him is an idiot, and anyone going faster than him is a maniac", he is free to drop a gear and watch me glide over the potholes.
Why just GT? I have seen people in Balero's overtaking 911 as the poor owners of Porsche think about the tyres and suspension or the lack of it.

Let's stay on the subject; OP has made a decision based on his understanding and even without a test drive. That says a lot about the car, and was not looking at suggestions of Polos or Baleno/ Balero's.

Quote:
I have made the M340i decision without a test drive. TD cars are generally unavailable!

Congratulations. I am sure you are going to enjoy this car much more than your current ride. If you are getting the Jahre edition, it has some nice touches like the Black piano interiors and also high gloss finishes on the exteriors.

Last edited by Turbanator : 4th November 2022 at 12:06.
Turbanator is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th November 2022, 12:26   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post

Congratulations. I am sure you are going to enjoy this car much more than your current ride. If you are getting the Jahre edition, it has some nice touches like the Black piano interiors and also high gloss finishes on the exteriors.
Yes. Jahre in Tanzanite Blue
mrugu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2022, 12:37   #22
BHPian

Congrats on booking the M340i.

Quote:

340i
  1. Less practical for longer trips/outings.
I had the same worry before booking it ~7 months back. Since taking delivery my car ~7k kms mostly on long distance trips (MH, GJ, RJ), including on some non-existent forest roads. The car performed much better than I expected on such patches. I feel that the stiff suspension helped as the car doesn't bottom out on every speed bump.

Potholes are a different story though. I have to slow down on bad patches. Even so, rear passengers definitely feel the stiff suspension. But this wasn't a surprise as we already expected a stiff ride.

IMO, the only chink in car's armor are the RFTs. I changed 1 tyre at ~5k kms and just today I saw a bulge in another one. At some point I'll change over to non-RFTs.

Overall, I think the car has been a great touring companion so far.
pratika is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2022, 16:02   #23
BHPian

I personally loved the GLA AMG. It was an absolute hoot to drive. IMHO the GC is just about perfect to enjoy a car like that worry free on our roads. Also, the overall height at 1588mm is somewhere in between a proper sedan and SUV, making it feel almost sedan like on the highway and in corners.

For times with family, the suspension set to comfort she even absorbed the bumps pretty well.

IMHO the only cons would be the lack of boot space with spare in place. Also, the lack of under thigh support and armrest for rear seat passengers could be a deal breaker when you look for approval from your family.
Old 4th November 2022, 16:44   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Folks

I am in a bit of a dilemma and looking for advice.
There shouldn't be any dilemma simply because you cannot compare the 35 AMG to the M340i which is basically a 2L inline 4 turbo to the B58 inline 6. Test drive and you'll realize it as well. The B58 is much more desirable and engaging to drive.

If you really want the Merc, 45 AMG is the option to look out for.

If I can suggest you another option of the Beemer which is quick on its feet - M240i if you don't care about the rear seats.

Cheers,
Amey
Amey Kulkarni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2022, 20:40   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Folks

I am in a bit of a dilemma and looking for advice.

I have a 3.5 year old 330i GT MSport. Been dabbling if I should get a new car since I generally love to change out every 3-4 years (I find it to be a sweet spot for resale as well).
Don't buy anything. As we all know, this is the worst time to buy a car. No discounts, inflated prices.

A 330i GT is awesome (if a little wafty). Which colour do you have, the estoril blue? It's insane, just enjoy yourself and keep reading to scratch the itch.

But don't please, not until 2024 at least. Prices with FTA etc, should come down, and we can get a great engine, for a fair price!

Mod Note : Please go through Posting Etiquettes for better post construction.
Thanks.

Last edited by Sheel : 4th November 2022 at 21:10. Reason: Mod note attached.
Old 4th November 2022, 21:58   #26

Congratulations!!

Quote:

Selling it privately and looking for a buyer
Wondering if you will be listing the GT in t-bhp classifieds as well . I am pretty sure it will evoke a lot of interest.
Old 18th November 2022, 23:35   #27
Senior - BHPian

The 330i GT is a generation old so the current 340i will feel like a very different car anyway.

However, you bought a 3GT instead of the regular 3 series for a reason. You like having the extra space, comfort and height over a low slung sports sedan. I would say go for the GLA35 but do note that the GLA platform is based on the A class, while the 3GT and 3 series are more comparable to the C class. It will be more cramped in the backseats especially.

Last edited by Cresterk : 18th November 2022 at 23:38. Reason: Edited for better reading.
Old 24th November 2022, 14:57   #28
BHPian

Quote:

Congrats, And you will be one of the firsts to get LCI I guess. Looking forward to your reviews, esp with the no gear lever experience.

BTW, many of us saw M340i first time on the delivery date, so join the gang of booking without a TD
Old 24th November 2022, 16:02   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RakishRam View Post
Congrats, And you will be one of the firsts to get LCI I guess. Looking forward to your reviews, esp with the no gear lever experience.

BTW, many of us saw M340i first time on the delivery date, so join the gang of booking without a TD
The car I am getting is not a LCI. I managed to land something that was in stock at a dealership. Booked 2 weeks ago and getting delivery this coming weekend

It is not the facelift.
mrugu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks