Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2022, 22:54   #16
BHPian

Re: Advice Needed: Which Luxury SUV to buy?

Thank you so much for your advice sir. One thing I'd like to ask you is that are the higher running costs due to higher cost of petrol negated to some extent due to lower maintenance (service) cost as compared to diesels or is it somewhat different for luxury cars?
Dr.Car is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2022, 12:37   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Car View Post

I’d like to have advice from the members of this forum that should I go ahead with the booking or wait? (Even though it’ll be difficult to wait for so long but we’ll manage). Thanks
I had the same dilemma as you 2 months ago. I test drove both cars. Interiors are better in the GLE but the X5 is simply amazing as a driver's car.

I took delivery of my X5 30d yesterday. The engine and gearbox combination is one of the best that any car manufacturer can offer. The NVH is surprisingly low for a diesel.

You definitely can't go wrong with either of the engines. I prefer the low-end torque of the diesel motor hence picked that one.

I had considered waiting for the LCI, but looking at the X7 LCI, the X5 would be on similar lines, with some cosmetic changes on the front end, plus the new curved digital instrument cluster that eliminates physical buttons.
Controlling the air conditioning through the touch screen is not really my preference. Looking at the updates I opted for the current model.

On another note, if you are planning to book the car make sure you go for the updated seats that comes with Merino leather, when I purchased the car only Vernasca was an option.

Cheers!
Jay_P2324 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2022, 13:36   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_P2324 View Post
I had the same dilemma as you 2 months ago. I test drove both cars. Interiors are better in the GLE but the X5 is simply amazing as a driver's car.

I took delivery of my X5 30d yesterday. The engine and gearbox combination is one of the best that any car manufacturer can offer. The NVH is surprisingly low for a diesel.

You definitely can't go wrong with either of the engines. I prefer the low-end torque of the diesel motor hence picked that one.

I had considered waiting for the LCI, but looking at the X7 LCI, the X5 would be on similar lines, with some cosmetic changes on the front end, plus the new curved digital instrument cluster that eliminates physical buttons.
Controlling the air conditioning through the touch screen is not really my preference. Looking at the updates I opted for the current model.

On another note, if you are planning to book the car make sure you go for the updated seats that comes with Merino leather, when I purchased the car only Vernasca was an option.

Cheers!
Thanks for your reply. Did you consider buying the petrol variant also?

And did you try for some discounts from dealer end? Also, do you get the choice for colour of seats in 30 d variant or is it reserved exclusively for the M variants only?
Old 9th December 2022, 17:47   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. Did you consider buying the petrol variant also?

And did you try for some discounts from dealer end? Also, do you get the choice for colour of seats in 30 d variant or is it reserved exclusively for the M variants only?
I had driven the 40i in the US a couple of years back, the power delivery is linear and to quote Turbanator, it doesn't give you a kick in the back feeling like the 30d. While making a decision for this purchase I did not consider the petrol variant, diesel was my first preference for the engine's power delivery and overall driving experience.

I did get a 2.5L discount on the car. The 30d comes in an M Sport trim and you get 4 seat colour options to choose from in Merino Leather. Sport X on the other hand gets 2 options to choose from.

Which new luxury German SUV for 1-crore rupees?-img_1896.png
Source: BMW India
Jay_P2324 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th December 2022, 20:33   #20
BHPian

Quote:
I had driven the 40i in the US a couple of years back, the power delivery is linear and to quote Turbanator, it doesn't give you a kick in the back feeling like the 30d. While making a decision for this purchase I did not consider the petrol variant, diesel was my first preference for the engine's power delivery and overall driving experience.

I did get a 2.5L discount on the car. The 30d comes in an M Sport trim and you get 4 seat colour options to choose from in Merino Leather. Sport X on the other hand gets 2 options to choose from.

Attachment 2388346
Just one more question sir. Does the X5 get Android Auto or only Apple Car play? It just came to my mind since I've heard that some BMW models don't get Android Auto and I forgot to check it during the test drive.

Thought to ask you since your information would be more trustworthy than the SA's half baked info.
Dr.Car is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2022, 10:35   #21

Re: Which new luxury German SUV for 1-crore rupees?

I’m loving the sudden burst of people buying luxury SUVs on this forum. Great times!

I agree for self-driving the x5 is a great choice, you get a lot of car for the price and that’s what tilted me towards the x5 eventually.

For chauffeur driven nothing comes close to the Gle in the segment. The 300d should do just fine for them.

Just my two cents.
bimmerboy26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2022, 18:56   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Just one more question sir. Does the X5 get Android Auto or only Apple Car play? It just came to my mind since I've heard that some BMW models don't get Android Auto and I forgot to check it during the test drive.

Thought to ask you since your information would be more trustworthy than the SA's half baked info.
I haven't tried Android Auto, but the car does have Wireless Apple Carplay. From what I had read online iDrive 7 now supports Wireless Android Auto as well.
Old 13th December 2022, 15:52   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you so much for your advice sir. One thing I'd like to ask you is that are the higher running costs due to higher cost of petrol negated to some extent due to lower maintenance (service) cost as compared to diesels or is it somewhat different for luxury cars?
Hello,

I own and daily a X5 M Sport 40i from 2021.

Petrol running costs are higher than diesel for sure in terms of how rev-happy the engine is and how often you end up unknowingly hitting higher speeds than expected.
I see an average of 7-7.5 km/l (on the MID) in the city and closer to 10 km/l on the highway, maintaining an average of 80kmph.
I am one service in paid ~40k which I believe is about what you would pay for diesel too.

Quote:
Just one more question sir. Does the X5 get Android Auto or only Apple Car play?
Yes, my car from January 2021 does have wireless Android Auto and wireless Apple CarPlay.

Last edited by aah78 : 14th December 2022 at 01:35. Reason: Answered additional question. EDIT: Spacing, typos fixed.
ballfry is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th December 2022, 16:07   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I did get a 2.5L discount on the car. The 30d comes in an M Sport trim and you get 4 seat colour options to choose from in Merino Leather.
Good decision, hope you got the newer lot that has this Merino leather. One of the good upgrades by BMW India though the prices have been increased by around 1,5 Lac.

Now only if they can add seat cooling, this will be a perfect car (apart from the prices)

Last edited by Turbanator : 13th December 2022 at 16:09.
Old 13th December 2022, 17:55   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Now only if they can add seat cooling, this will be a perfect car (apart from the prices)
Hi,

Considering an X5 to replace by 9 yr old X3 diesel.
Confused between petrol and diesel. Showroom could and can only arrange a petrol TD. Drove it. Its great but miss the low end torque my X3.
But my annual running will be south of 10k kms and think the maintenance aspect should be lower in petrol. Also plan to keep the car for a long time and hence think a petrol will also suffice. Need advice and suggestions and also some pro tips to close the booking and any specs I should look out for.

Last edited by aah78 : 14th December 2022 at 01:36. Reason: Spacing.
Old 13th December 2022, 18:20   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abs182 View Post
Considering an X5 to replace by 9 yr old X3 diesel.
Confused between petrol and diesel. Showroom could and can only arrange a petrol TD. Drove it. Its great but miss the low end torque my X3.
Go with the Diesel, it now comes with M-trim and as I mentioned that Nappa leather is usually reserved for premium/ CBU cars. that alone is worth around 6-8 lac, in my opinion.

6-cylinder Petrol BMW engines are not frugal, or maybe most BMW drivers have a different way of driving. With Diesel, you will need not worry about the economy.

I will suggest you go ahead and book without bothering to test drive. When you get yours, that engine will bring a different JOY.
Old 14th December 2022, 11:14   #27
BHPian

Re: Which new luxury German SUV for 1-crore rupees?

I'm also in the market currently in talks for an X5 and if I'm not mistaken, the petrol also comes in M sport trim. I'll check about the Merino/Nappa leather, as advised by members earlier in this thread.

Also, please exclude the ECONOMY topic when discussing diesel vs. petrol. When one is spending over 1cr on a car, a difference of around 50k INR per year on fuel is nothing for a running of 15k kms a year. Let's talk torque, nvh, part failures, service and other issues.
Old 14th December 2022, 11:32   #28
BHPian

Quote:
The 30d comes in an M Sport trim and you get 4 seat colour options to choose from in Merino Leather. Sport X on the other hand gets 2 options to choose from.

Attachment 2388346
My SA is insisting that his current X5 Diesel stock has only Vernasca leather and that Merino leather will come with new production schedule and that would cost 1.5 lacs extra. I don't know what to do. Already am thinking diesel version of the car for the driving pleasure plus there is a risk of price escalation if I postpone the buying decision in 2023.

Any suggestions or guidance will be of great help.
Old 14th December 2022, 11:48   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My SA is insisting that his current X5 Diesel stock has only Vernasca leather and that Merino leather will come with new production schedule and that would cost 1.5 lacs extra. I don't know what to do. Already am thinking diesel version of the car for the driving pleasure plus there is a risk of price escalation if I postpone the buying decision in 2023.

Go with Merino without a second thought. You will thank me later

It's worth much more than 1,5 Lac. That leather is super nice, unlike Vernasca, which feels more synthetic. If in doubt, go and check the one on the 7 series they might have. For 2022 manufactured cars, there won't be any increase rather; you may get a discount if they are unable to sell, as everyone will ask for 2023. I will certainly take that risk and tell them to get a fresh one and will pay 2022 prices only else wait until Jan when they start getting new Year production.

Does it make sense to buy a 2023 Car - Yes, if you are going to sell in the next 3-4 Years else, in the longer run, it won't make a difference.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2022, 12:00   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The SA is pressuring you so that they can clear their inventory before the next lot comes in. Better leather is worth the extra cost, you hold on to cars for long, so any improvement is worth paying for. Price escalation is a given, unless there is a sudden downturn in the market.
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks