Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2022, 08:00   #46
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: What to do with my pristine Audi A6 which is 10-years old in Delhi-NCR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_2025 View Post
Dear BHPians, Please excuse the long post but would sincerely appreciate some advise here
Go for it. I usually don't recommend buying old German cars, but this one is a unique case where it's being let go just because of the 10-year ban. The car is known to you, the price is low & the odometer has just 32000 clicks.

Worth the effort & risk. I myself drive a 2013 competitor to the A6 and it's still a fabulous experience.

- Strictly follow our used car checklist (including service history, checking past insurance claims etc.).

- Be mentally prepared for upkeep costs of about 1 - 1.5 lakhs averaged each year. Some years will be lower, some will be higher, but 1 - 1.5 lakh average is what these cars settle down to.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th December 2022, 13:30   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
- At 10 Lacs, given the condition of the car shared above. Is it worth it?
- What is the anticipated depreciation hit post 1 year that one should expect. Is it fair to expect a price of 7-7.5 Lacs in a years time, where the next owner would effectively be the 5th owner?
- Is the NGT Ban valid from the date of cars manufacture or date of registration?
- Any experience in someone selling their Car at the end of the 10 year period outside NCR. How smooth/difficult is it?
- I understand this may be an experiment but is the car's depreciation hit fair for the "Audi Experience" for a year?

Thanks a lot for your help and advise here
1. For Rs. 10L it is worth it - it would be a lot cheaper than the Hycross you have mentioned except the fact that the NGT rule kicks in a year. For reference, we sold our 2011 60K driven A6 for 9.15L in Mumbai last year when the market wasn't inflated as it is now.
2. Depreciation hit is a gamble.
3. Should be from date of registration
4. At the end of the 10 year period, getting an NOC could be difficult. May have to sell it even sooner so there are no issues with NOC. There is a thread on the NGT Ruling in Delhi which would answer a lot of your queries.

Personally, the car is great! If it is indeed in great condition - you're looking at spending 3L (depreciation), 1L (maintenance, insurance, etc. - the main worries would be the air suspension, AC, and rubber components - belts, mounts, etc. going bad - if you decide to repair these, than the 1L could go higher to 2-2.5L depending on what work is to be carried out and from where).

So if you take a 4-5L cost towards this fun expense, a slight premium on the new Hycross when you defer the purchase by a year - you're looking at a 5-7L hit for a year of fun owning an Audi.
Unless you can figure the re-registration bit out; IMO, not worth it - I'd instead look at buying a new VW Tiguan TSi for the same price as the Hycross top variant (maybe a little more), and enjoy it for 15 years. Keep the 5-7L hit you would spend towards maintenance and fuel, and get a fun to drive SUV you can truly bond with for a long time to come.

Alternately, stretch the budget a bit & pick up a good 2020 example of the new gen A6 TSi with extended warranty.

Last edited by lamborghini : 5th December 2022 at 13:32.
lamborghini is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th December 2022, 21:49   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely not. Do not buy it unless you are prepared to lose most of your 10 lakhs for driving it for one year. People talking about resale in Bombay are not factoring in the impact of the 10 year rule in Delhi NCR. I tried selling my pristine Volkswagen Passat which costs above 40 lakhs after it was 10 years old. I did not get a quote of more than 80k from anywhere. This is a losing game. You will struggle to sell it in a year for even 5 lakhs.
Lobogris is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th December 2022, 20:29   #49
BHPian

Quote:
The German Itch

Dear BHPians, Please excuse the long post but would sincerely appreciate some advise here

Anywhere else in the country, that would have been a fabulous deals. However, in Delhi NCR, it is something that I wouldn’t recommend going for.

-We are already in Jan 2023. The car expires in Jan 2024. So basically, after 1 year, that car will get deregistered, it will be impossible to get an NOC for it and you’ll have to scrap it. Scrap value would be 1-1.5 lakhs at the most.

-You can buy it and use it for 6-10 months, but then what’s the point of spending 10 lakhs for such few months? When you sell it a few months before January 2024, it’ll be a 4th owner car on the papers. And with such few months left, the buyer will know that you have to sell it real quick (before the 10 year mark), so they can bargain real hard.

-During the smoggy winters, BS4 diesel cars have started getting temporary bans, so of the few months you get to enjoy the car, if the weather goes bad, the car gets banned. Even fewer months of actual driving.

If you are keen on an Audi A6, I would suggest you to cancel the Hycross and look for a 2016+ Matrix model. They go for 20-25 lakhs and you’ll be able to find a Petrol car with at least 7-8 years of NCR life left.
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th December 2022, 02:13   #50
BHPian

Re: Planning to buy a pre-worshipped Audi A6 | Need advice and guidance

My advise would be to let this one go. Maybe if you lived elsewhere or could have the re registeration done with a BH number, which I heard is starting for second hand cars as well now.

Without re registering, you will find it very difficult to sell and if god forbid you could not sell it within 10 years, you will not get NOC from Delhi itself.

Stay away for now if you are looking at hassle free experience.
VaibhavShatna95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2022, 02:41   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The German Itch

- What is the anticipated depreciation hit post 1 year that one should expect. Is it fair to expect a price of 7-7.5 Lacs in a years time, where the next owner would effectively be the 5th owner?
- Is the NGT Ban valid from the date of cars manufacture or date of registration?
- Any experience in someone selling their Car at the end of the 10 year period outside NCR. How smooth/difficult is it?
- I understand this may be an experiment but is the car's depreciation hit fair for the "Audi Experience" for a year?

It would be a decent buy if you were living outside NCR and planning to keep it for a long time. However, you only have 1 year to use this and it will be impossible to get rid of it and the most you can expect for it would be slightly above scrap value.

You could probably just lease a brand new Audi A6 and return it if you are willing to blow 10L to have the 'audi experience' for just one year.

Last edited by Cresterk : 28th December 2022 at 02:43.
Cresterk is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th December 2022, 10:41   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanidhya mukund View Post
Anywhere else in the country, that would have been a fabulous deals. However, in Delhi NCR, it is something that I wouldn’t recommend going for.

Not sure about Delhi, but I've seen a lot of 10+ years old luxury barges (diesel) plying around rest of NCR without any issues.
Have spoken to few said owners as well and they say that old diesels are fine as long as one stays away from Delhi.

So, what do you say? Will it work out if OP gets it registed out of state and then drive or do something similar?
vredesbyrd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th December 2022, 13:39   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post

Not sure about Delhi, but I've seen a lot of 10+ years old luxury barges (diesel) plying around rest of NCR without any issues.
Have spoken to few said owners as well and they say that old diesels are fine as long as one stays away from Delhi.

So, what do you say? Will it work out if OP gets it registed out of state and then drive or do something similar?
Yes, even I’ve been told that implementation is not as strict in Greater Noida, Faridabad and Ghaziabad. I’ve further been told that Gurgaon and Noida cops are often as strict as Delhi cops about this.
However, since the rule applies to all these areas equally, it would be a risky venture on the part of the owner. If a cop flags down the car for some other violation (say signal jump/seatbelt/yellow line crossing) and inspects the papers, the owner could be in trouble. Of course, people use influence/bribe their way out of it, but again, you never know if it will work on that particular instance.

Registering the car elsewhere would not be of much help for local usage; the risks will still be pretty much the same. However, that does open one avenue: The car can then be used for out-station trips without any issues. Valid papers in states without the NGT ruling would mean that you can run the car effortlessly. Just sneak out of Delhi-NCR during inactive hours and plan your return such that you enter Delhi-NCR late in the night/early in the morning. But then again, that also involves risks. And the fear of getting caught will keep bothering you to the point where you won’t be able to peacefully enjoy the car at all.

My 23 year old Petrol car has valid papers, but I avoid driving on public roads. I get it towed/flat bedded to the workshop whenever it needs repairs. Even for refuelling, I call my mechanic, who siphons fuel from his motorcycle, transfers it to a gallon and then pours it into the Ikon with a funnel. Driving is strictly limited to the residential block, and that too is very rare. Most of the time, the car sits resting on bricks with the battery disconnected. Doing so much because I genuinely love the car.
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th December 2022, 10:23   #54
BHPian

Enough has been said on the said A6 and I'll not add anything on that part. But to give some cushioning to the OP's dilemma..

Pune is full of old Jag XFs and Honda Accords (both DL registered) and a lot of HR26 registered BMW 520ds. So that says a lot about where NCR owners are selling their barges to.

Also, far away in the east, Guwahati has suddenly seen a surge of DL registered Endeavours and X5s. So I think you can choose to sell your car in a variety of cities.

-NA.
na_agrawal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2022, 10:53   #55
BHPian

I sold my Dec 2014 registered BMW 530d for a decent price in Oct ‘21 to a customer in Hyderabad and upgraded to a performance petrol car since i was aware of the NGT rule and knew that the car’s value would fall drastically in coming years and would only encounter opportunistic customers looking for a desperate sale. Even though i loved the beemer i still had to take the hard decision to sell and even when car still had 3+ years of validity left for Delhi/NCR, i was still made aware of the fact of Diesel ban while pursuing my sale in order to drop my sale price. So i can only imagine how it would be like selling an Audi A6 with barely few months left!

That being said there’s a definite market for such cars from regions like Punjab, UP, and whole of West and South India.

However my suggestion would be to stay away from such deal as 1 year would fly by in flash and when it would be time for you to sell the car you won’t be able to settle for anything lesser and that would be a start of vicious circle of upgrading often and taking depreciation hits much sooner!

My suggestion would be to gain on the budget and when you can spend 20-25 lakhs then consider a pre worshiped car of this segment preferably a petrol so that you can enjoy long term ownership without any worries.
ashish22 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2023, 14:55   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, even I’ve been told that implementation is not as strict in Greater Noida, Faridabad and Ghaziabad. I’ve further been told that Gurgaon and Noida cops are often as strict as Delhi cops about this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by na_agrawal View Post
Enough has been said on the said A6 and I'll not add anything on that part. But to give some cushioning to the OP's dilemma.. -NA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaibhavShatna95 View Post
My advise would be to let this one go. Maybe if you lived elsewhere or could have the re registeration done with a BH number, which I heard is starting for second hand cars as well now.
Quote:
Anywhere else in the country, that would have been a fabulous deals. However, in Delhi NCR, it is something that I wouldn’t recommend going for. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
Absolutely not. Do not buy it unless you are prepared to lose most of your 10 lakhs for driving it for one year. People talking about resale in Bombay are not factoring in the impact of the 10 year rule in Delhi NCR. I tried selling my pristine Volkswagen Passat which costs above 40 lakhs after it was 10 years old. I did not get a quote of more than 80k from anywhere. This is a losing game. You will struggle to sell it in a year for even 5 lakhs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
1. For Rs. 10L it is worth it - it would be a lot cheaper than the Hycross you have mentioned except the fact that the NGT rule kicks in a year. For reference, we sold our 2011 60K driven A6 for 9.15L

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish22 View Post
I sold my Dec 2014 registered BMW 530d for a decent price in Oct ‘21 to a customer in Hyderabad and upgraded to a performance petrol car since i was aware of the NGT rule and knew that the car’s value would fall drastically in coming years and would only encounter opportunistic customers looking for a desperate sale.
Thank you everyone for your invaluable advise & apologies to the fellow BHPians who expressed a keen interest in purchasing the car as it had been sold by the time you reached out

Seems like you helped me dodge a bullet. I decided against purchasing the said car

My friend wanted to get rid of it within the year so reached out to multiple car dealerships. The quotes ranged from a jaw dropping 2 Lacs to a best quote of 8.25 Lacs. The dealer who had offered 10 Lacs to him stopped responding to him when the car was actually put up for sale.

He eventually sold if for 7.75 Lacs to an individual in Punjab, via his contacts in Audi

Thanks again for all your help

Last edited by amit_2025 : 3rd January 2023 at 14:58.
amit_2025 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th January 2023, 19:07   #57
BHPian

Quote:
The German Itch

A close friend has an immaculate Audi A6 (Diesel, 2014 registered) which he was planning to exchange for a new Car (XUV, Vitara etc. in contention), only because the car will be unusable in Delhi commencing January 2024. I have witnessed the car being purchased and been privy to its maintenance as well. He has been offered 10 Lacs by used car dealers

More about the Car:

- Exceptionally well maintained Audi A6, TDI, Premium Plus. 2014 Registered, Delhi Number
- 3rd Owner, but only because the 1st transfer was from a company name to an Individual name. The car was bought used from an Expat in Feb 2019 with about 20k on the ODO and was Audi Approved
- Current ODO is around 32k with regular servicing and maintenance, very sparingly used
- Insurance valid till July 2023

Now the predicament; Have been wanting to add another car to our garage purely for driving pleasure, safety, space and some highway trips, without burning a hole in the pocket. Current cars in the house are 2016 Creta Petrol AT (Self Driven) and 2020 XL6 (Chauffer driven). If I was to purchase the said Audi then I would buy it being aware that I would only be able to keep it for about a year before I have to sell it outside (unless the NGT rule in NCR changes). Have booked the Hycross but can very well defer the purchase for another year if it makes commercial sense

Guidance needed:

Although I'm always a strong advocate of German and Japanese cars, however, would never recommend an Audi sedan to anybody mainly because they sell them for the same price or sometimes even higher price than a BMW or a Mercedes, both of which are RWD platforms (Costing around 40% more to manufacture). Audi, on the other hand, is either FWD or so called "Quattro" whereby it still works as a FWD and only sends power to the rear when it loses traction. Funnily their Audi TT works the same way and it's a sports car . Sedans are even worse because a lot of parts come from the VW/Skoda parts bin. So unless you're buying their 'S' (Not to be confused with 'S Line') or 'RS' models it's really not worth it for the badge alone. I'd rather buy a Skoda Octavia/Laura vRS if I wanted a FWD performance sedan.

You can do much better than that for the money. You're still left with 2 major German players in that same price range. You just need to look harder to find ones in good shape. Hope it helps and good luck with your search
The Rainmaker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2023, 18:08   #58
BHPian

I was reading through many replies on the forum but I'm going to play the Devil's advocate and go against the tide here - You should go for it. The reason is simple - I was under the same dilemma when my immaculately maintained Laura was about to complete 10 years but I has no plans of selling it. Instead, I went ahead and registered the car to Chandigarh "CH 01". The process was quite smooth and not very expensive. Now, the car just cannot ply in Delhi but I use it quite frequently for road trips/outstation trips and have never faced any problems whatsoever.

Infact, I have been running it in NCR region (Gurugram, Faridabad) as well and haven't faced any issues whatsoever (Hope NGT is not reading ). Also, with that being said, it cannot be the primary car in your garage but an occasional ride.
Akshitsi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2023, 22:30   #59
BHPian

As a fellow member of the club and who was in the similar predicament, I would say that you should go for it as the car, owner and the history is known to you. Take a long-ish test drive under all conditions and make sure you get adjusted to it before going forward. These cars are world apart even well maintained older ones. I suggest you get the car scanned and inspected physically for any unknown surprises.

Here are my responses

1. Yes. It is worth it.
2. Many Delhi cars are re-registered in Haryana after NOC from delhi and sold there. All dealers do it. So you should be able to get about 7-7.5 lakhs at least after 10 year completion. Given the rising prices of cars, maybe you can get more.
3. I think it is on the date of registration
4. It is quite common. Many 10 year old cars are sold in nearby states of Delhi.
5. I would say absolutely. It is a different and addictive experience. My worry is after driving this for a year, you will take lot of time to adjust to Creta/XL6 or Hycross.

One thing you should keep in mind is that these are earth loving creatures and stay close to mother earth and thus you have to be very careful in case of bad roads, tricky routes and large bumps. That apart, the car will put a smile on your face each time you step in.

Quote:
The German Itch

Guidance needed:

autobahnjpr is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks