Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2022, 10:24   #31
BHPian

Re: Choosing a car for a flickering mind | M340i vs S5 vs 530d vs GLC43

Quote:
Originally Posted by animeshc View Post
- The choice then boiled down to 530d vs the S5 (which was more of a dark horse at the point given the multiple concerns voiced on this thread around its reliability). The logical choice was 530d but the S5 was more appealing in terms of the looks and the exhaust. With a fat discount further exemplified by BH registration, the price concern was nullified to some extent. We finally took the plunge at the risk of some reliability issues. As @androdev had aptly put that if we considered all practical aspects, maybe we won't get a car that appeals to the heart. (Anyone who knows me or probably has read through some of my travelogues will know that practicality isn't exactly my forte). So here it is, the shiny new S5, fondly referred to as Lucifer for its red devilish looks

Attachment 2275387
Congratulations! And welcome to the S5 club. 😁
d_payne is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 22:53   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashesh View Post
Congratulation mate! Wish you many many happy miles. M340i maybe a better performer but S5 steals your attention. Great pick!
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by peepo View Post
Could you please DM the car, insurance and service package pricing?
Sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Congratulations, it looks supa hott!! More pics and details please!!
Thank you . Yes compiling some good photographs, will share them soon along with the initial overall experience. It's already done about 700 kms and and though I am still driving it in the comfort mode, for the first time ever the acceleration of our Octavia felt a bit slow (in a way this is a compliment to both the cars). Looking forward to getting done with the initial run-in period.

Quote:
Well, you should have made it a choice between a superbike and a two seater car

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_payne View Post
Congratulations! And welcome to the S5 club. 😁
Thank you, please do send across any insider tips about the car
Old 23rd February 2022, 22:00   #33
BHPian

Quote:
the S5 (which was more of a dark horse at the point given the multiple concerns voiced on this thread around its reliability).
Fantastic choice, welcome to the club.

Don't worry much about reliability. I have the current generation (pre facelift) since October 2017. I have had only 2 problems, rear camera acted funny a few times, but became alright when you turn off and restart. And the other issue was a damaged tyre. And the problem with AWD is its best to replace all 4 tyres at once. That said, because of lifestyle changes and the pandemic my travels have been very low (only 14000 on the ODO)!

Happy and safe motoring.

Last edited by Axe77 : 14th March 2022 at 09:29. Reason: Minor typo.
316kmph is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th February 2022, 18:27   #34
BHPian

Quote:
So here it is, the shiny new S5, fondly referred to as Lucifer for its red devilish looks
Animesh - finally, congrats!! Happy ride and do post pics. I am sure the car will look brilliant esp in evening lights.
RakishRam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2022, 20:59   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 316kmph View Post
Fantastic choice, welcome to the club.

Don't worry much about relaibility.
Thank you , good to know that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RakishRam View Post
Animesh - finally, congrats!! Happy ride and do post pics. I am sure the car will look brilliant esp in evening lights.
Haha, yes it has been a while. Thanks for your wishes as well as your inputs in this journey.
animeshc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2022, 10:14   #36
BHPian

Quote:
So the question has been answered, here's what transpired:
:

Congratulations . What a beauty!
I think if looks were the choice S5 would win hands down over the M340i.

Eagerly waiting for your driving/ownership experience.

Last edited by DIV17 : 26th February 2022 at 10:22.
DIV17 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2022, 22:47   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations! 345bhp V6 petrol low slung sedan with quattro!!!
I also see the new BH series all India registration! 👍

Congratulations and wishing you years of joy with the beauty....

Cheers!
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2022, 09:00   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So here it is, the shiny new S5, fondly referred to as Lucifer for its red devilish looks
Belated congratulations! Let's just say when you appear in the IRVM, no one will be trying to figure whether it's a A3, A4 or A6

Many more pics please!
itwasntme is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th March 2022, 09:25   #39
BHPian

Thank you everyone. Shared a few pics from the first long drive of Lucifer here:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post5277022 (Which hill station in Himachal for a low slung German sedan?)
Old 19th December 2023, 10:47   #40
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the red beauty. It's a stunner for sure.

Am in a similar dilemma. Test drove both M340i and S5. The BMW is a monster for sure but the interiors are underwhelming compared to the S5. The S5 is such a nice place to be and the performance is great too. A little worried about the ground clearance of S5. It's really low hung. I was reading your beautiful travelogue and was wondering if you had trouble with the ground clearance. Am based in Bangalore and the speed breakers are quite notorious here.
JVH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2023, 20:08   #41
BHPian

In Bangalore, avoid the Audi S5 or any low slung car for that matter. My daily driver in Chennai was a nightmare to drive in Bangalore. I took it there for a few days last year and it scrapped every other speed bump despite careful driving. In chennai it’s only one in every 8-10 speed bumps and if you can plan your routes, you can get away with fewer than 1 or 2 scrapes a week. This is impossible in Bangalore. While I may not know the routes like I know in Chennai, I visit often enough to not completely rely on Google maps. I have since never taken any low riding car to the garden city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post

Am in a similar dilemma. Test drove both M340i and S5. The BMW is a monster for sure but the interiors are underwhelming compared to the S5. The S5 is such a nice place to be and the performance is great too. A little worried about the ground clearance of S5. It's really low hung. I was reading your beautiful travelogue and was wondering if you had trouble with the ground clearance. Am based in Bangalore and the speed breakers are quite notorious here.
316kmph is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th December 2023, 11:00   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post

A little worried about the ground clearance of S5. It's really low hung. I was reading your beautiful travelogue and was wondering if you had trouble with the ground clearance. Am based in Bangalore and the speed breakers are quite notorious here.
Thanks! I concur with the statement above that in Bangalore, things seem to be more tricky. I never really had issues with ground clearance, ofcourse you have to take the car oblique on most of the speed breakers but with that I was able to manage even some of the monstrous ones on the service roads of Blr - Mysore patch.
But recently did a trip with 4 people to Mahabalipuram from Bangalore and the car scraped multiple times even before exiting Bangalore. So my reading is probably its more manageable when not fully loaded and you would have to carefully plan your trips within Bangalore at least. But other than that, its absolutely amazing for long trips (and based on my 3-4 test drives of M340i, a lot more comfortable too).
animeshc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2023, 10:27   #43
BHPian

I did Chennai to Coorg a couple of days back in my A35 AMG

Total scraps onward journey was 4 out of which 3 were in my short drive inside Banglore city to join the NICE Road.

The service roads in Electronic City flyover it scrapped in both the speed breakers during my short drive.

I don’t know how Low GC sedans and sports-car drive in Banglore?

During return did not encounter such situation in Banglore had couple of scrapes in taking a wrong turn near Mysore to Highway connection and one in toll outside Mysore.
Old 29th December 2023, 11:17   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvk1991 View Post
I did Chennai to Coorg a couple of days back in my A35 AMG

Total scraps onward journey was 4 out of which 3 were in my short drive inside Banglore city to join the NICE Road...The service roads in Electronic City flyover it scrapped in both the speed breakers during my short drive.

I don’t know how Low GC sedans and sports-car drive in Banglore?
A word of advice: talk to your service guys at AMG, and ask them to try fixing Rogerab (however it's spelt) to reduce the scraping issue.

I know of a few A35's here in Bombay that have done it, and they report less scraping than before, and improved steering feel (I've driven one with this fix, and can vouch for the latter).

This is a fix officially being done by the AMG service shop in Bombay, to try and reduce this issue to a great degree. Check on it. It should help you, however little or much.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2023, 12:41   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
A word of advice: talk to your service guys at AMG, and ask them to try fixing Rogerab (however it's spelt) to reduce the scraping issue.

I know of a few A35's here in Bombay that have done it, and they report less scraping than before, and improved steering feel (I've driven one with this fix, and can vouch for the latter).
Thank you, I have been thinking about this for a long time. Your words have given me additional confidence.

Will check with my Service Advisor and get back to you if needed.

Any idea how much raise we can expect, I am looking for 12mm-15mm raise. I was also considering 235/45/18 tires upgrade from 235/40/18, this will increase my height to 11.75mm.

Last edited by Tvk1991 : 29th December 2023 at 12:43.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks