Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2021, 20:22   #1
Senior - BHPian

Does it make sense to buy a 6-cylinder diesel BMW 330D that's run 8000 kms?

330d, Hard top convertible, E 90, 2 doors, CBU, 6 cylinder diesel, 254 BHP, 413 Nm torque in a car that weighs a lot less than a 5 series and has the best of BMW’s “driver’s car” handling characteristics.

The 6 cylinder engine and gear box are known to be reliable and with this lower state of tune and low mileage run there can’t be too many issues on the engine and gearbox front. A lot of parts would be common with the 530d too.

The difficult areas would be the failure of the hard top, some bits of the suspension and the fact that it’s a 2 door car would make some parts difficult to come by.

I’m okay with the two doors, and the lack of space at the rear as it wouldn’t be used most of the time except to put luggage.

The car has been maintained in stock condition without any modifications or remaps done to the engine or suspension.

This is a 2012 / 13 model year car. History of the car and the owner is known from the day it was taken delivery but nevertheless all sanity checks (including mine) would be done.

Does this car make sense given the low mileage, single owner and well maintained status?

Looking for opinions in case I’ve missed out anything apart from the prices and availability of spares. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by AMG Power : 30th June 2021 at 20:33.
AMG Power is online now   (19) Thanks
Old 30th June 2021, 20:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Does it make sense to buy a 6-cylinder diesel BMW 330D that's run 8000 kms?

Europeans are best when they are run. This car seems standing / idling for long (1k km in 1 year). But as long its serviced on time; it should fine.

Get the car inspected at BMW and if it checks out well; yes it makes sense. With a change of every fluid and some not so big expenses recommend by the BMW service; you should be rolling well as long as the price is reasonable.

For such a car coming from a from a known owner; don't hesitate a 5 % premium as well.
dipen is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th June 2021, 21:46   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Does it make sense to buy a 6-cylinder diesel BMW 330D that's run 8000 kms?

6 cylinder, 2 door hardtop convertible BMW with 254 HP sounds exciting! In fact, it sounds irresistible when one can afford it, when it is in good condition and has low mileage.

I would advise to go with your heart. Unless abused, the hardtop shall not be failing IMO. With some efforts, scarce parts too can be procured, if needed.

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 30th June 2021 at 21:47.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 08:12   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Does it make sense to buy a 6-cylinder diesel BMW 330D that's run 8000 kms?

I'd say you should go for it if the price is right + it clears all the checks (including PPI) and you can live with the 2 doors. The E90 4-door 2.0L was so much fun, I can only imagine what a 2-door 3.0L is like. But the price had better be right. The car will have depreciated massively and you will either be the last or second last owner of the car. These complex cars are built just for 10 - 15 years life. They become too much of a headache after that and the cost of repairs can be too high compared to the book value. Just as an example, there is not a single E60 in my group anymore, not even in extended circles.

Quote:
The difficult areas would be the failure of the hard top
Don't open it up too much

Last edited by GTO : 1st July 2021 at 08:14.
GTO is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 08:36   #5
Team-BHP Support

Having driven a 330i convertible in the UK, first thing you will find that it is ponderous at low speeds due to the weight, however being a diesel, this is mitigated.

The convertible actions needs to be checked. If you do buy the car, do open up the roof a couple of times a week to avoid stuff seizing up. Get familiar about the microswitches and the hydraulics. Latter is easy, if you can stock a spare microswitch or two, nothing like it.

Like I said, it is heavy due to the roof mechanism and underfloor bracing so check suspension thoroughly. If you do buy, budget for a suspension overhaul even if car has not been used much.

Engine wise - do a complete fluid change and plan for a cooling system overhaul. It is the most fragile part of the car. The other area are the swirlflaps on the Diesel engine which could break and get ingested in he engine.

PS - If you do pass on this, please let me know, I might be interested
ajmat is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 09:31   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Sounds good! Will BMW officially support with service and spares (especially the latter) for the convertible top?

What's life without some excitement?
itwasntme is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 09:36   #7
Senior - BHPian

I do not see, one reason as to why you should not buy this car!!!!.

Parts Will not be a problem since it was officially sold by BMW India there may be some wait, that's it.

As someone who recently picked up the last of the E90's sold in india ( 2013 registered 320D MSport).

All I can say is Yes and Yes

Last edited by suhaas307 : 1st July 2021 at 11:48. Reason: Minor spacing for improved readability
akshay4587 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 10:08   #8
Team-BHP Support

It definitely does make sense, if its coming at a good price. The engine spec is 245bhp and 520nm I believe. Also the hard top will make a fair bit of sound, that's the only downside. I know enough people running similar vintage M3s without any major issues, just small electronic niggles.
Akshay1234 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 10:08   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

When it comes to purchase decisions that make me doubt my own sanity, there is only one criteria I use: do I love it enough that I am willing to suffer the worst case scenario? Personally, I will continue to look for what I love instead of buying something else on the shelf and within reach.

For instance, I would ask myself if I want a soft top instead of wondering if it's easy to maintain it. If I ever buy a convertible, it would be a hardtop. Then there is diesel vs petrol - I have no interest in diesel cars, esp in this category. I want to drive within speed limits and petrol is much more fun for that.

The car is a relatively safe purchase otherwise. BMW, known history, low mileage, etc I see no red flags.

Edit: noticed that it's a hardtop. Ignore my soft top comment.

Last edited by androdev : 1st July 2021 at 10:12.
androdev is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 13:31   #10
Senior - BHPian

I agree with the majority on here, and feel you should get this IF the price is right (I see no reason why it shouldn't be). Just check the car out thoroughly and keep an FNG in mind for when work inevitably comes up. Expect niggles for sure with a car this age, it's not going to run fuss-free. But I don't think that should be a deal breaker. After all, every rose has its thorn! Bimmers are generally the most reliable of the German troika, so I wouldn't be too worried on this front.
iliketurtles is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 08:38   #11
Senior - BHPian

Can you get a BMW India service center to inspect the car? You'll have to pay for it but why not, when you are spending so much money.

I am not sure about this particular model. On some BMW's, it is possible to hand over the key fob to the dealer and check all service records. Obviously, this will not list work carried out at an fng but its better than not knowing anything about the car.

At this age, you need to factor the cost of replacing all the brake rotors and pads for sure. Check tires and battery. Those run flats are expensive.

I would not worry about the age and mileage. The engine will hold up. Its the interiors that are not the best. Those little door lock stubs tend to rattle and the plastics creak. This is minor but thought you should be aware. Personally; I find this generation not to be the best in terms of build quality. I find the plastics and materials used in places to be cheap. I find Mercedes and Audi better.

As much as it is tempting, I would not put down money without getting a professional inspection done.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 2nd July 2021 at 08:39.
sandeepmohan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 12:17   #12
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I'll suggest to get something newer, the car although less run is simply too old now. Parts made up of rubber don't like to sit around (example: door beadings, different bushes, parts of the roof opening mechanism in this case, etc.).

Our car, a December 2013 diesel EcoSport has been driven for only 26000 kilometres till now and is kept in a closed garage most of the times. Still, the rubber parts are showing age, the beadings have started to make squeaking sounds, door lock mechanism internal latches breaking due to the plastics getting brittle, handbrake cable needed lubrication a few months back (parking in gear now), boot opening mechanism needed greasing, etc.

Now, there would be a huge difference between the quality of a BMW and a Ford but I'd still suggest to not opt for this one, only go for it if you get it for a really low price.
Lowflyer23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 12:22   #13
BHPian

Please please go for it. I have promised myself that one day I will have one of those. A 2-door, convertible beamer. Although I may not be driving it a lot with the top down but I will have one. Practicality be damned.
casnov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 12:34   #14
BHPian

I'll go against the tide here.

1) A convertible diesel? Who wants to listen to the diesel racket in an open top?
If you only want to drive with the roof up, why bother getting this anyway?

2) 6 speed ZF is not even in the same zip code as the 8 speed one in the later BMWs. You'll definitely miss the ZF8.

3) It does NOT weigh a lot less than the 5 series. Based on what I could find, it's about 1725KG, which is a good 200-250KG more than a 320d, and is heavier than the current G30 530d.

The only advantage is that you know the seller and that it has low miles. Make sure you really want a 330d convertible, and are not just pulled in because of these 2 factors.
d3mon is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 14:56   #15
BHPian

I have had an e90 (318d sedan) and an MX-5 ND (soft top convertible) in the past and have rented a 430i hardtop convertible for a month. So I think I have a good idea of living with the combination you are looking. I would simply ask the following questions myself (In bracket are some possible answers. Yours may vary)

1. Is it my only car? (If yes, don't do it. You will need more space eventually)
2. Am I getting a good deal and that's why I am even considering this? (If yes, don't do it. A good deal on a bad package is still a bad deal)
3. A diesel convertible with 6 speed ZF which is quite old technology wise. It is neither a corner craver as it is heavy, nor a smooth highway rider, because of the 8 year old - low mileage - hardened rubber hardtop which is not going to seal the wind and engine noise as much as a new one. A 6 cylinder inline engine is the only good part of the package, but that's about it. The idea of a diesel hardtop is neither fun nor functional. Do I still want this package in 2021?
4. Was this car on my must have list? (if yes, get it. If no, don't)
5. Do I like a BMW and would like to have one? (Yes, get it. They are pretty reliable and don’t worry about hardtop, maintenance etc. if all history is known)

I leave it upto you.

Last edited by carthick1000 : 2nd July 2021 at 15:19.
carthick1000 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks