Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2021, 07:43   #1
BHPian

Which Luxury SUV for <75 lakhs OTR?

Hi Guys,
So we have been looking for a SUV that fits in the 75 Lac bracket (OTR).

Heres the criteria it should fill:

Ride Quality
Offroadability
Highway-Mile munching (Most Important)

Dad booked a Discovery Sport 2021 MHEV Diesel a few days back. Seeing all the rage about reliability all over the internet, Can't figure out if we made the right decision.
Heard from current owners that they have made some huge improvements (none of theirs have broken even once). Have JLR really upped their game in terms of reliability, A.S.S etc. now? Or Is it just a "bad image" that remains now?
RishavRBhardwaj is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 10:32   #2
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
re: Which Luxury SUV for <75 lakhs OTR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RishavRBhardwaj View Post
Hi Guys,

Ride Quality
Offroadability

Dad booked a Discovery Sport 2021 MHEV Diesel a few days back. Seeing all the rage about reliability all over the internet, Can't figure out if we made the right decision.
Heard from current owners that they have made some huge improvements (none of theirs have broken even once). Have JLR really upped their game in terms of reliability, A.S.S etc. now? Or Is it just a "bad image" that remains now?
BMW X3 seems to be a good choice, and with the right BSI package, even the maintenance could be covered for long duration. Personally, out of the German big three, the BMWs have had a better reputation for reliability.

However, if you don't travel above 120 KPH frequently and can ignore the Badge of the vehicle, the Ford Endeavour satisfies all your criteria perfectly. In terms of Reliability, this has stood the test of the time, and seldom reliability issues are reported. You will also be able to have a substantial capital savings.

I would avoid the JLR's offerings. Though improved, I am still not sure of their long term reliability.
07CR is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 12:29   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
BMW X3 seems to be a good choice, and with the right BSI package, even the maintenance could be covered for long duration. Personally, out of the German big three, the BMWs have had a better reputation for reliability.

However, if you don't travel above 120 KPH frequently and can ignore the Badge of the vehicle, the Ford Endeavour satisfies all your criteria perfectly. In terms of Reliability, this has stood the test of the time, and seldom reliability issues are reported. You will also be able to have a substantial capital savings.

I would avoid the JLR's offerings. Though improved, I am still not sure of their long term reliability.
I agree, the Endeavour fits the bill perfectly. The only caveat that remains is the size of it, which dad doesn't like specifically.

The Bimmer on the other hand, needs a facelift or something. A friend has a 2018 one, getting the same in 2021 doesn't feel justified.

The local BMW dealer is notorious for selling lemons, This guy lives in the neighbourhood, and he is just one of the many more sufferers in the city.
https://www.cartoq.com/angry-bmw-owner-garbage-truck/

The only options I'm left with,
  • Wait for the X3 facelift till next year.
  • Get the 2021 Disco MHEV delivered.

Mod Note : Please do NOT use acronyms (e.g. ANHC, MS, T-Fort, JC, Endy) when referring to cars or their makers. You are ONLY permitted to use the full Make & Model name. This will make our content useful, searchable & easy-to-understand for experts & newbies alike.

Thanks for the support & understanding

Last edited by Sheel : 10th May 2021 at 21:33. Reason: Mod note attached.
RishavRBhardwaj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 12:59   #4
BHPian

You should really consider the Volvo XC60. It ticks all the boxes and its Lane keeping and Pilot assist features are fantastic for long highway drives.
Ride quality is excellent and their safety features are arguably better than any of the Germans in its price class.
Just my 2 cents.Edit-- just noticed that you are in Ranchi, so maybe you dont have a Volvo dealership nearby since their reach is not as good as the others, but, check it out if there is a dealership around.

Last edited by chandu : 10th May 2021 at 13:01.
chandu is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 13:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Ride Quality
Offroadability
JLR is still kind of notorious for their reliability issues. I wouldn't try my hand with them yet. Instead, if possible stretch your budget a bit and get a Mercedes-Benz GLE 300d or a BMW X5. Try and find cars out of state too which dealers might be willing to ship if you're not wanting to deal with the local guy.

Since you mentioned offroadability, I'd say the only JLR product worth seeing is the Defender. Yes, it's expensive, but if you afford it, might be a good choice.
akash_v12 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 14:08   #6
Senior - BHPian

Since you mentioned Discovery Sport, I am assuming you don't need a serious offroader. You may consider the NX300H, the styling is not to everyone's liking though. If you need a true blue offroader, do consider the Wrangler which is now cheaper. Again I am already assuming you have ruled out the popular options i.e X3 and GLC!
PrideRed is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 15:34   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Best to check for reviews on your local JLR dealership.
A neighbor recently upgraded from their 2012/13 Freelander to the Discovery Sport and seem to be quite happy with it & JLR.

The other option I would recommend is waiting for the new XC60 / deals on the XC90. With the air suspension they have fantastic ride quality, though I am not sure about the long term reliability of the air suspension. Service too is scarce.

The X3 is a nice option : brilliant to drive, good ride quality, but in terms of seat comfort : our Tiguan was a nicer place to be : underthigh support was poor in my opinion. However between the GLC and the X3 : I found the X3 to be better in terms of driving pleasure, ride quality.

How much more would the GLE300D be? It could be a good option to consider, as would waiting for the facelifted Q5 launch.
lamborghini is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 16:42   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Best to check for reviews on your local JLR dealership.
A neighbor recently upgraded from their 2012/13 Freelander to the Discovery Sport and seem to be quite happy with it & JLR.

The other option I would recommend is waiting for the new XC60 / deals on the XC90. With the air suspension they have fantastic ride quality, though I am not sure about the long term reliability of the air suspension. Service too is scarce.

The X3 is a nice option : brilliant to drive, good ride quality, but in terms of seat comfort : our Tiguan was a nicer place to be : underthigh support was poor in my opinion. However between the GLC and the X3 : I found the X3 to be better in terms of driving pleasure, ride quality.

How much more would the GLE300D be? It could be a good option to consider, as would waiting for the facelifted Q5 launch.
Is there going to be an update to the XC60 this year? the current model was only released in 2018, and I had been to the showroom for my car and had asked them about the XC60, I was told that the next update will be in 2022 or 23.
Old 10th May 2021, 16:45   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandu View Post
Is there going to be an update to the XC60 this year? the current model was only released in 2018, and I had been to the showroom for my car and had asked them about the XC60, I was told that the next update will be in 2022 or 23.
I believe they are slowly switching towards more petrols, and have indicated a minor facelift on the cards.
https://www.team-bhp.com/news/volvo-...ia-launch-year
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 17:20   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
SYou may consider the NX300H, the styling is not to everyone's liking though. If you need a true blue offroader, do consider the Wrangler which is now cheaper. Again I am already assuming you have ruled out the popular options i.e X3 and GLC!
Lexus would have been the safest bet in terms of reliability. Styling, I won't disagree its a hit or a miss. I wonder how many of NX300Hs they manage to sell in an year.
Ironically, The nearest Jaguar Land Rover dealership's name is Lexus Motors.

Unlike the rest of India (In my region at least), the popular choice has always been Land Rovers. You can barely spot a Merc or BMW SUV.

Last edited by aah78 : 10th May 2021 at 19:27. Reason: Posts merged. Quote trimmed.
RishavRBhardwaj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 17:36   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The nearest Jaguar Land Rover dealership's name is Lexus Motors.
That definitely sounds assuring

Some owners say positive things about LR, but in private, most of them had their own share of issues.

You have not mentioned if you/ your dad will drive mostly or will you be sitting in the rear, in which case, how much is the rear seat comfort important?

Are the road conditions so bad that you need only SUV or is this just more from a practicality/ image point.
Turbanator is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 17:44   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lexus would have been the safest bet in terms of reliability. Styling, I won't disagree its a hit or a miss. I wonder how many of NX300Hs they manage to sell in an year.
Ironically, The nearest Jaguar Land Rover dealership's name is Lexus Motors.
In smaller cities there aren't much, however in Bangalore I can spot quite a few of them. I was speaking to one of the NX300H in a dealership and asked why did he pick NX over established players. He said, all look same and find quite boring, wanted something different, hence picked up NX. The only downside however is, NX is not as engaging to drive
Old 10th May 2021, 17:54   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandu View Post
You should really consider the Volvo XC60. It ticks all the boxes and its Lane keeping and Pilot assist features are fantastic for long highway drives.
Ride quality is excellent and their safety features are arguably better than any of the Germans in its price class.
Just my 2 cents.Edit-- just noticed that you are in Ranchi, so maybe you dont have a Volvo dealership nearby since their reach is not as good as the others, but, check it out if there is a dealership around.
Have to say the XC60 is a dead ringer for the XC90 to say the least. I Don't personally know anyone who owns a modern Volvo. Makes it quite difficult to make out what should I even expect.
Old 10th May 2021, 18:02   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
I believe they are slowly switching towards more petrols, and have indicated a minor facelift on the cards.
https://www.team-bhp.com/news/volvo-...ia-launch-year
In that case this is the time for people who want a Diesel XC60 to pick up the car at a discount when the model year roll over happens
chandu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 18:04   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Discovery Sport is one of the most reliable cars from the JLR stable. I have a few friends here in UK who drive the Disco Sport and are happy with their vehicles. They do not go offroad though.

What is the on-road price of the new Defender?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Some owners say positive things about LR, but in private, most of them had their own share of issues.
Not me for sure The RRS has been so reliable that I went ahead bought another Land Rover!
BlackPearl is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks