Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2021, 11:23   #16
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Superb vs Toyota Camry

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgunasek View Post

In real-time what will be the mileage for both cars?
In Bombay city traffic, I've seen about 13-15kmpl range. However, the car has done only about 1120 kms till date. It could possibly improve over time? 8L difference is considerable - will cover most of the wear & tear items + surprise failures that could occur.

I just noticed, 4-5yrs time horizon of owning the car. I hope that you're very clear that resale value isn't important to you/your family. Because if it is, I doubt there's any brand that can hold a candle to the Toyota. Skoda WILL get massively hit with depreciation
RJK is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 11:52   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

The current iteration of Camry is very good and should be the preferred choice between these two cars for 90% of the buyers. Your requirements (self-driven, 4-5 years, moderate to low usage, etc.), however, tilt the balance towards Superb.

Price is projected as a differentiating factor but I think both are priced fairly when you consider the overall ownership cost plus resale etc.

Few deciding factors:
Design and aesthetics - subjective/personal preference
Hybrid FE - if mainly urban driving
Fabulous TSI+DSG combo - if highway driving is involved
Pay premium for reliability and service - Toyota way of selling
Deal with mediocre reliability and service to have a sporty/exciting car - German way of selling
androdev is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 13:32   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post

Here are two links just for fun :
This is for the 2020 version
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=Z8DWa2kdmU8
In this video, the Camry owner gave his driver 100 bucks and told him to take an autorickshaw home while the Superb owner ditched his driver at a bus stop. This alone should tell you the advantage of the higher FE
Iyencar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 13:49   #19
Senior - BHPian

If he enjoys driving, then it is a tough one(tilting towards Superb) but i feel Camry is a better option for those who like to be driven. Also the hybrid camry will return better economy if that is a concern. Everyone knows about Toyota service.

Personally, I would rather wait for a good deal on used current gen Camry(2019) - There is hardly any resale for these sedans.

Last edited by rajshenoy : 1st March 2021 at 13:52.
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 14:22   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgunasek View Post
Looking for a car to decide for my father. He has got a Chevy Cruze now for about 4 years. He is a Saloon car lover.

Our priority is for Safety features, driving comfort, new tech and services. We plan to keep for atleast 4-5 years. He clocks approx 700 kms/ month (although now it got reduced due to current situation). We like all Company fitted equipment without going for any further changes.
Camry hands down! Of course its pricey but then its a 'fill it shut it forget it' type of car which the Superb can never be.

As GTO said, Camry is no longer a boring to drive car and one needs to test drive it to appreciate what Toyota has done with latest Camry.

Except the front-end which isn't to everyone's taste, I couldn't find anything wrong with it. It does carry a premium but then the extra money spent is totally worth it.

However, the only issue is that you would start looking at a replacement 5 years down the line while the Camry would've only warmed up by then. For this simple reason you might want to look elsewhere and that's where Superb might start making sense, a lot more with the price difference.

If you're going to stick to the 5 yr period then Superb else Camry all the way.
fine69 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 16:38   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

You COULD also wait till June for the new Octavia.

It has the potential to make both the Superb and the Camry feel old. Same engine as the Superb, a smaller more nimble footprint and a "what car is that" effect at ~22-28L ex-showroom.

Think about it!
itwasntme is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 16:40   #22
BHPian

Are you sure that you are going to sell after 5 years? I would strongly recommend that you get the Camry and keep it for ten years. It is such a joy to own, totally stress free that you will keep it beyond ten years. Your father will thank you for the choice.
eyeman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 20:02   #23
BHPian

If you want to keep the vehicle for more than 5 years then camry is the clear winner IMHO. Also, in this day and age with ever increasing number of engagements and commitments, I think we should choose a vehicle based on its realiability. Its a great charm in itself if don't need to visit the ASS for small niggles over a long ownership experience.
Encyclopedic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 20:55   #24
BHPian

Maybe a out of the box suggestion, how about Mercedes A class Limousine?
Early reviews are positive.
May not be as fun to drive as Superb or as plush as Camry but at the end of the day its is a “Merc”. You can’t ignore the brand value. At the end of the day it depends on your fathers need.

Practically - Camry
Driving pleasure - Superb
Stature - Mercedes A class / 3 series
sachin2612 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 11:37   #25
BHPian

My vote is for the Camry hands down considering that he is looking out for a car for his dad. The sheer reliability and refinement of the Camry at city speeds is excellent. The new one as mentioned by others before me is also pretty nice to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachin2612 View Post
Maybe a out of the box suggestion, how about Mercedes A class Limousine?
Early reviews are positive.

Practically - Camry
Driving pleasure - Superb
Stature - Mercedes A class / 3 series
I think the A class Limousine should be called an A class sedan instead. There is nothing other than the badge which works for the A. He is looking for a petrol and the 1.3 L turbocharged engine does not hold a candle in front of the other 2 power trains. The 3 Series LWB could be an alternate option in the 330i avatar.
Baddychat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 14:28   #26
BHPian

Voted for Camry.

I think despite being on the expensive side by 8 Lakhs, Camry is worth considering.

For 8L extra, Camry gives you :
  • Hybrid Tech
  • Double the fuel efficiency (ie 50% cost savings in Fuel)
  • Top-notch reliability (Read: savings)
  • Solid car for 10 Years at least
  • Better Resale Value
  • Cost of Maintenance (maybe <50% of a Superb)

and a few more I would say.

Last edited by kamilharis : 2nd March 2021 at 14:31.
kamilharis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 16:11   #27
BHPian

Inspite of me spending 1 lac Rs on a new Hybrid battery pack and voltage sensor(Actual cost was 2,60,000 but as a goodwill warranty Toyota India paid 60% and balance was paid by me) I am voting for Camry Hybrid.
My 2015 camry hybrid is at 103000 kms today,apart from regular service of 10,000 kms which costs barely 7,000Rs there is not a single part which has been replaced till now(Except two sets of tyres & spark plugs at 1 lac kms service).
It is still on stock brake pads,suspension.My daily commute is average 3 hours everyday in really bad traffic,but still I manage to get consitent 14kms/Ltr.
I hope to keep her for a minimum 10 years more.

Regards,

Kedar
kedarwalke is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 19:52   #28
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
If he enjoys driving, then it is a tough one(tilting towards Superb) but i feel Camry is a better option for those who like to be driven. Also the hybrid camry will return better economy if that is a concern. Everyone knows about Toyota service.

Personally, I would rather wait for a good deal on used current gen Camry(2019) - There is hardly any resale for these sedans.
Good suggestion but the only problem is one will be left waiting
I say this because buying a new one, I kept scanning the used market here in Bombay but tough luck, total number was less than 5. Very very few Hybrids came into the resale market and the ones that came asked for absurd prices. It doesn’t help that the earlier gen Camry didn’t sell a lot to begin with.

Cheers
RJK is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 19:58   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK View Post
Good suggestion but the only problem is one will be left waiting
I say this because buying a new one, I kept scanning the used market here in Bombay but tough luck, total number was less than 5. Very very few Hybrids came into the resale market and the ones that came asked for absurd prices. It doesn’t help that the earlier gen Camry didn’t sell a lot to begin with.

Cheers
That is true, sedan market in general has shrunk in last 5 years or so. Especially those heading to Toyota with bagful of cash would have pre-determined mindset for Fortuner.

Also curious, why only sedans ? plenty of options for crossovers in that range.
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 22:06   #30
BHPian

Not sure how / why the Superb is even in the consideration set, when one can afford a Camry. To me, at least, dependability is a prime requirement for even a 5 lakh rupee car. I would not like to be stuck with an OEM who had the engineering mindset to design and fit a water pump in an Octavia that breaks in 29k KMs!

Of course, this is just one example and the forum is full of them.

Manufacturers who don't spend the effort in making cars dependable ought to be punished, and the only way to do that is to vote against them with our wallets, in my opinion.

Last edited by vipul_singh : 2nd March 2021 at 22:26.
vipul_singh is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks