Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2019, 11:55   #1
BHPian

What car to replace my Mercedes E-Class Facelift (W212)?

Dear fellow members,
Looking for a new vehicle in my garage and I seek your valued opinion.

To give a brief:-
I replaced my (F10) 530d with the G30 (530i) last year and its been a wonderful decision.
Prior to this I used to self drive my E200 (Facelift) and the F10 (530d) was my chauffeur car. However, now the E class over the past year has been relegated to when I am driven around and the 530i to when I drive, which is 90% of the time, my E class has only done 4000km in the past 14 months where as I have notched up 22000kms in my 530i in the same period.

However, I have now decided to replace my E class with something fresh and the two obvious choices which come about are the E200 (Exclusive) (ex showroom 58L) or the 6GT 30i (Luxury Line) (Ex showroom 64L), the 6GT will work out to be cheaper to purchase as well, but that is something I can overlook at the moment for a better vehicle.

Any other suggestion would be welcome, I also called up JLR to see if there were any XJL in the petrol version available but they don't have any. The new A6 doesn't seem to be an upgrade or exciting product to me.
I am saving up for a SUV by next year for my drives to the hills so do not want to buy something right now in that segment.

I wanted to upgrade my E with the S450 or 740Li but at 1.6crores (OTR Without discounts) I just don't see any value in them anymore, I am surprised that while the Mid size luxury car prices have not varied much in the past decade, the prices for these limousines have shout up by around 50%
I would have considered the s90 but it's not available in petrol so its out of choice, anything I am missing?

Thank you

Last edited by np23 : 31st October 2019 at 11:59.
np23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2019, 12:22   #2
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
re: What car to replace my Mercedes E-Class Facelift (W212)?

You've the 5 to enjoy driving, the E sees minimal usage and as you are driven in that, its good as long as it works. Keep the E for a year and sell it, buy the G wagon, that way you get a Benz and an suv.

Unless you have a tax benefit, buying an E200 long wheel base sounds like a bit too sedative.
avira_tk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2019, 17:32   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: What car to replace my Mercedes E-Class Facelift (W212)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by np23 View Post
my E class has only done 4000km in the past 14 months where as I have notched up 22000kms in my 530i in the same period.
Quote:
I am saving up for a SUV by next year for my drives to the hills so do not want to buy something right now in that segment.
My personal suggestion to you:

- Retain the W212 Facelift. ~5 years & under 100,000 km is nothing for these cars. Plus, other than the long-wheelbase, the new E-Class is an incremental upgrade over your car. How much legroom do you need anyway?

- The running of your E-Class is very low (<4000 km / year).

- Wait for another year and then trade it in for an SUV you want. Since you have the budget, you could consider the BMW X7 with captain seats, or the next-generation GLS-Class. Both are top-class SUVs. You'll have to wait for a year either ways for them as BMW claims the X7 is sold out, and the GLS is still to arrive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
Unless you have a tax benefit, buying an E200 long wheel base sounds like a bit too sedative.
I've never understood the concept of spending 100 bucks to save 25 or 30 in taxes. No matter the tax saving, that's still 70 bucks gone out of pocket! Like spending 3 bucks to save 1.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st November 2019, 05:34   #4
BHPian

Have you considered investing in the Volvo stable? Maybe try the S90 or if you want to go the SUV route then the XC90?

Last edited by Ashutosh : 1st November 2019 at 05:37.
Ashutosh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2019, 12:00   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
You've the 5 to enjoy driving, the E sees minimal usage and as you are driven in that, its good as long as it works. Keep the E for a year and sell it, buy the G wagon, that way you get a Benz and an suv.
Thank you for your suggestion, I guess that値l be the most logical thing to keep the E for a while, but I知 having the urge to replace, even though it痴 working flawlessly.
The G AMG is not something I知 looking at and the base (if I may say so ) is the diesel version for 1.5 Cr exshowroom and I don稚 see myself spending almost 2 crores OTR for a diesel vehicle albeit the G wagon.

Quote:
I知 not contemplating it on the tax front so this値l be a more heart over head decision if I decide to proceed
Old 1st November 2019, 18:58   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
My personal suggestion to you:

- Retain the W212 Facelift. ~5 years & under 100,000 km is nothing for these cars. Plus, other than the long-wheelbase, the new E-Class is an incremental upgrade over your car. How much legroom do you need anyway?

- The running of your E-Class is very low (<4000 km / year).
I agree the most sensible choice would be to continue with the w212 FL, however I had the showroom people check my car today and our offering more than what I was thinking of for a 5 year old luxury car, Mercedes do hold up their value pretty well and I guess that might also be linked to the lesser discounts they give upfront?

Can you advise me what discounts I shall be looking at in the E200 expression variant, I've been quoted 6-7L on the exclusive one but this being more of a replacement I am not really looking to spend on unnecessary add ons. I will appreciate leads on the mercedes discounts,

The BMW dealership sent the 6GT to my office today and offering a much better deal without even negotiating but I am leaning more towards the E, so that ways I still keep both the E and 5 in the latest generations with me.

Quote:
- Wait for another year and then trade it in for an SUV you want. Since you have the budget, you could consider the BMW X7 with captain seats, or the next-generation GLS-Class. Both are top-class SUVs. You'll have to wait for a year either ways for them as BMW claims the X7 is sold out, and the GLS is still to arrive.
My uncle just picked up the X7 40i m sport in carbon black, I drove it this weekend and boy that 6 cylinder petrol is silky smooth, I was contemplating the RR Sport P300, LR Discovery, X5 40i m sport and the Q8 (saw it in Italy recently and after a while an Audi product excited me) however after driving his X7, I know I want an i6 petrol engine so I have pretty much narrowed down on the X5 40i unless something comes up by next summer, also there are minimal discounts on the X5 now, so I am pretty much saving for it and waiting for the discounts to come in for a good deal.

Quote:
I've never understood the concept of spending 100 bucks to save 25 or 30 in taxes. No matter the tax saving, that's still 70 bucks gone out of pocket! Like spending 3 bucks to save 1.
Not applicable in this choice

Last edited by np23 : 1st November 2019 at 19:00.
np23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2019, 21:33   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

I personally found the 6GT to be a better backseat car just because the air suspension which goes a long way in making the ride so much more cossetting.
If that isn't an issue, the E rear seat offers a better recline angle, and that much more space along with a different design, though many users are unhappy with the heat the massive panoramic sunroof lets in during the summer.

Is there any reason to keep two cars from the same segment? Assuming you are the sole user of both of course.
If not really a need, have you had a look at the new GLE? Would scratch the itch for the SUV too; and also read that there are some great deals on the existing GLS too!
Lastly, if you are sticking to sedans - check with the dealer on the 7 series discounts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ゥ2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks