Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2011, 21:44   #121
Senior - BHPian

re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. A Month of Ownership & New Snaps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
In fact couple of years ago on a visit to the US a friend insisted that I buy a Garmin. I mentioned to him that I use the 'Grameen' system.
Yes that is the best GPS on indian roads.

And anyways the US Garmin would not have worked here in India. I got the one that i had in US back home but it does not load India maps. Checked their website and also posted query on it. Got it confirmed from them. I still have that lying unused. If somebody has any idea about how to make it work in India would help. Sorry Guderian for hijacking your thread with my query.
Old 13th March 2011, 22:00   #122
Senior - BHPian

re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. A Month of Ownership & New Snaps!

Quote:
SWMBO ? Tell me more ?
Hi,
Lady of the House can (sometimes) be disobeyed, SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) by definition, never.

Re: travel time: What do you think accounted for the huge difference?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 13th March 2011, 22:42   #123
PCS
BHPian

Hey Guderian !

No words to mention this excellent write up with excellent car.

Toyota guys will def hire you if they come across this thread

Tell me 1 thing. I know that this car has elephant sized road presence, were there people who oogled at your car in udupi city or even at say 140 kmph

Overall how do you rate TFort say out of 5 ?
Old 13th March 2011, 22:50   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post

And anyways the US Garmin would not have worked here in India. I got the one that i had in US back home but it does not load India maps. Checked their website and also posted query on it. Got it confirmed from them. I still have that lying unused. If somebody has any idea about how to make it work in India would help. Sorry Guderian for hijacking your thread with my query.
why don't you try mapmyindia maps, they offer maps for garmin devises.

visit below given link for more information.

Maps For Garmin Devices By MapmyIndia | GPS Navigator
Old 14th March 2011, 08:58   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post

I had absolutely no problem in running Indian maps on my Garmin which I brought to India from Canada. Cant recall the name of the person who installed the map for me. But it was through the Garmin office in New Delhi.
Old 14th March 2011, 09:38   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Hi,
Lady of the House can (sometimes) be disobeyed, SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) by definition, never.

Re: travel time: What do you think accounted for the huge difference?

Regards
Sutripta
Hi, For me, dear chap, LoH and SWMBO are rolled into one ! And the survival tactic/s, if there is a greivous mistake of non adherence to her processes, is to play Possum. She'll wander about kick the body once or twice and then walk away (why am I so influenced by NGC (Nat Geo) ?). Meaning in human terms - play dumb and innocent !

OK what I think about the cutting down of time - sector wise:
1. Kundapur - Ankola - Was higher average speed due to being able to hug the bends well and another factor was the high beam gave you the confidence to spot trouble much ahead of the vehicle than the Scorp where I needed to be very, very careful.
2. Ankola - Hubli - Absolutely no traffic of Iron Ore trucks from Bellary to Mangalore Port on NH 63. It is almost eerie driving on empty roads !
3. Hubli - Thane - Sheer muscle. The top speed range was 120 - 160 KMPH. On the Scorp it was 90-130 KMPH, with some heart stopping moments at curves.
Growing confidence about the vehicles capabilities helped too. Brakes, suspension and handling primarily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCS View Post
Hey Guderian !

No words to mention this excellent write up with excellent car.

Toyota guys will def hire you if they come across this thread

Tell me 1 thing. I know that this car has elephant sized road presence, were there people who oogled at your car in udupi city or even at say 140 kmph

Overall how do you rate TFort say out of 5 ?
Hi PCS, Thanks for the warm words.

I didn't find too many 'ooglers' on the roads as the novelty factor has indeed come down. However whenever parked the Admiral grabbed quite a few eyeballs, thanks to the presence/size, possibly colour/sheen - or Team BHP sticker ?!! And let me tell you suddenly finding a T Fort in your rear view mirror is not a pleasant experience at all. I experienced it on the Pune Mum Expressway when a black T Fort suddenly drew up behind me when I was at 150 KMPH, he must have been doing 160/170 KMPH. Unconsciously and as a practice I gave way, only to realise a micro second later - Heeeeey ! C'mon, You too have a T Fort so what are you envious about ?!! And was flushed with a warm glow ! Hmmm.....

At 140 KMPH I couldn't afford to oogle at ooglers and the ooglers had no time in a flash to oogle without getting a broken neck in the process.
The moto at such speeds - Neither a oogler nor a ooglee be !

Rating ? 4/5 for the VFM !
Old 14th March 2011, 09:51   #127
BHPian

Take a bow!

You my dear sir, are a fine kettle 'o kip (said in a completely asexual, chest thumping, manly sorta way....you never do know these days....!!!)

*And your ride's pretty darn awesome too!!*

There are a number of fine writers on this here forum, ones that have entertained, informed and been on top of their game, when it comes to reeling out real world driving experiences of their steed(s). You though have taken it to a new level. I love the way the humor is at once incisive, as well as tongue in cheek *son of a beach* would be one of many an apt example me-thinks! What people don't often understand is the phenomenal power of humor, in making a good read, an absolutely fantastic one.

Add the hitherto little noticed fact, that you listen to ol' man Duke Ellington, seals it that you are a man who knows his mind *and his music*.

For that....you have my unabashed respect.

Stay safe and be sane. I shall look forward to reading more of you. (refer right back to my 1st qualifying statement at the top of the post)

P.s. Machinery's gotta be fe-male. I demand that Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro, be immediately renamed to snookie boo, sweet cuddles or face instant court martial, with loss of rank and pay. Chance of being cashiered from service is imminently possible.
Old 14th March 2011, 10:58   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bIte tHe bulLet View Post
Take a bow!

You my dear sir, are a fine kettle 'o kip (said in a completely asexual, chest thumping, manly sorta way....you never do know these days....!!!)

*And your ride's pretty darn awesome too!!*

There are a number of fine writers on this here forum, ones that have entertained, informed and been on top of their game, when it comes to reeling out real world driving experiences of their steed(s). You though have taken it to a new level. I love the way the humor is at once incisive, as well as tongue in cheek *son of a beach* would be one of many an apt example me-thinks! What people don't often understand is the phenomenal power of humor, in making a good read, an absolutely fantastic one.

Add the hitherto little noticed fact, that you listen to ol' man Duke Ellington, seals it that you are a man who knows his mind *and his music*.

For that....you have my unabashed respect.

Stay safe and be sane. I shall look forward to reading more of you. (refer right back to my 1st qualifying statement at the top of the post)

P.s. Machinery's gotta be fe-male. I demand that Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro, be immediately renamed to snookie boo, sweet cuddles or face instant court martial, with loss of rank and pay. Chance of being cashiered from service is imminently possible.
Oh I say Ol' chap BTB...Rather jolly reading your mail and all that you know ! Rum thing about that kettle o' fish.

Though you have put me in a spot or two of bother really.

Firstly about machinery being female - females and machinery just don't mix you see and secondly do peer under the chasis of the T Fort (on your knees please) and you'll notice two, what I referred to earlier as spheres and now needing to be more direct - b**ls. These are the ones housing the forward and rear differentials.

And in the Fatherland, from where I, Guderian, come, all ships, equipments/machinery are considered male.
Now tell me this - do you still hold on to your views ? If you still do - just let me have your address - to send the firing squad for a speedy dispensation of rough and ready justice.

Threats of instant court martial, loss of rank & pay and being cashiered ? Do you think that bothers me any longer ? Especially after 20 years of marriage ? What do think has been happening all these days at home ? Especially loss of pay ? Go on, do your worst - wouldn't be a patch on what I have been trained for, by the LoH.

Second and more difficult directive - Be sane ! You got to be kidding. Never been that, for a single day in my life.

Agree with you on just about everything else and honoured dear chap !

Last edited by Guderian : 14th March 2011 at 11:27.
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2011, 11:17   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Firstly about machinery being female - females and machinery just don't mix you see and secondly do peer under the chasis of the T Fort (on your knees please) and you'll notice two, what I referred to earlier as spheres and now needing to be more direct - b**ls. These are the ones housing the forward and rear differentials.

said in highly nasal, oddly irritating, incessantly petulant tone

but i liiiikkkkke snookie boo...sweet cuddles i WANT snoookie boo...sweet cuddles!!!

Quote:
Now tell me this - do you still hold on to your views ? If you still do - just let me have your address - to send the firing squad for a speedy dispensation of rough and ready justice.

Threats of instant court martial, loss of rank & pay and being cashiered ? Do you think that bothers me any longer ? Especially after 20 years of marriage ? What do think has been happening all these days at home ? Especially loss of pay ? Go on, do your worst - would be a patch on what I have been trained for, by the LoH.

Aaah...a combatant foe????

Though I do not possess the hindsight of 20 years (I am running in a close second of 11 years though) of the institution of 'unquestioned loss of pay' I do feel for you!!!!

okay okay...then DON'T be sane *sheesh* atleast be safe?

Last edited by bIte tHe bulLet : 14th March 2011 at 11:19.
Old 14th March 2011, 14:14   #130
Senior - BHPian

Post the Great Charge - Admiral's Behaviour.

I was truly delighted having got the opportunity last week to take the Admiral out for a long spin, described previously. And the blast of speed on the Pune Mumbai Expressway and in general onwards from Hubli to Thane, on the way back, was in the hope of freeing up the engine completely.

And it was quite expected that I was more than eager to get back into the Admiral and drive to work this morning(and a great motivation to crawl back to work after a great break !). And was very curious to feel how the Admiral behaved now after the all the efforts of speed bursts.

And it was a delighful ride indeed.

Through out the drive I felt as though the engine was very light and very peppy. Slight tap of the pedal and it seemed to be springing away like a startled buck. Engine noise to seems to be now a steady hum, which previously bordered on a clatter - though very growly and enchanting ! Turbo whistle remains very melodious and addictive.

The gears seemed to have settled down well, now feel very smooth. Clutch was always buttery soft.

Brakes normal.

The only irritant to have reared its head again is the noise from the rear most folded jump seats. Thanks to the suitcases jamming it earlier it was silent. Now it has begun to sing an Aria (not of the Tata type - but Italian) everytime Admiral makes short work of rough surfaces. Need to figure a way to fix that.
Any ideas here other T Fort owners ? Do you have this issue ?

All other systems go !

After days of constant chatter, Yakety Yak and yells in the cabin - felt eerie and ghostly to be driving alone ! Kept looking back to see if there was a spirit sitting in there !

Siiigh.......such a bright day, so many thousands of kilometers of roads around me and the Admiral all ready and bright eyed to head anywhere - what in the blazes am I doing sitting in an office and dreaming of the wide open roads ?

Got to plan the next drive very fast !
Old 14th March 2011, 14:20   #131
Senior - BHPian

Guderian, I do keep coming back to this thread at least once a day - its awesome.

On a serious note, I thought that you were very happy with your Scorpio, is the Fortuner that big a leap forward 'cos it now seems that just about everything is light years ahead? Or is it just the initial euphoria ?
Old 14th March 2011, 14:36   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Guderian, I do keep coming back to this thread at least once a day - its awesome.

On a serious note, I thought that you were very happy with your Scorpio, is the Fortuner that big a leap forward 'cos it now seems that just about everything is light years ahead? Or is it just the initial euphoria ?
Hi Suman,
Thanks ! Bar bar aana - zaroor aana !

I was indeed rather happy with the Scorp - but fell a victim to boredom as well as feeling its age, perhaps.

Till early last week I thought it - the feeling of having stepped into a superior creature - was initial euphoria playing itself out. And then the drive and all its attendant learning/s happened to me. And I was wiser. Well and truly said - not just the price, just about everything else is also light years ahead , I feel, as of now. Times ahead will teach me more things and shape my thoughts further, one way or the other, I presume.

The Scorpio served its purpose rather well and it was time to move on !
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2011, 15:40   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Post the Great Charge - Admiral's Behaviour.

The only irritant to have reared its head again is the noise from the rear most folded jump seats. Thanks to the suitcases jamming it earlier it was silent. Now it has begun to sing an Aria (not of the Tata type - but Italian) everytime Admiral makes short work of rough surfaces. Need to figure a way to fix that.
Any ideas here other T Fort owners ? Do you have this issue ?

All other systems go !

After days of constant chatter, Yakety Yak and yells in the cabin - felt eerie and ghostly to be driving alone ! Kept looking back to see if there was a spirit sitting in there !

Siiigh.......such a bright day, so many thousands of kilometers of roads around me and the Admiral all ready and bright eyed to head anywhere - what in the blazes am I doing sitting in an office and dreaming of the wide open roads ?

Got to plan the next drive very fast !
The noise from the rear most seats is indeed an irritant and even i used to constantly be peeved with the constant drum beat emanating from the rear.

Under normal circumstances the seat are folded down and not tied up against the window. This is when i found them to be the most noisy, as they seemed to be some give between the locks under the seats and the clamp in the floor to which they lock onto.

This was solved by the Toyota technician by simply wrapping up the floor clamp with some electrical tape a few times over. This decreased the "play" between the lock and clamp thereby securing a superior hold and greatly reducing (not removing) the infernal racket.

When the Fortuner has to be loaded up with the supplies for Somalia the seats are tied up securely alongside the windows and have never posed a noise pollution problem as such.

When you do tie them up in future do remember to close the Flap that houses the locks under the seats..as if left open it can cause some noise also.

Thirdly (and i am in no way questioning your intelligence) with regard to difference in MID reading and your actual fuel consumption i was wondering if you had remembered to reset the readings on the MID to 0.00 on every tankful?

The last real trip i took in my Fortuner was in Feb '10 and i am absolutely itching to go someplace far far away with it..which is also a reason for a lack of current pics on my thread.

But now i feel a bit, nay quite a bit inspired by first Nilanjanray and now Your Good self to undertake an impromptu adventure.

Last edited by Manuuj : 14th March 2011 at 15:44.
Old 14th March 2011, 16:09   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
The noise from the rear most seats is indeed an irritant and even i used to constantly be peeved with the constant drum beat emanating from the rear.

Under normal circumstances the seat are folded down and not tied up against the window. This is when i found them to be the most noisy, as they seemed to be some give between the locks under the seats and the clamp in the floor to which they lock onto.

This was solved by the Toyota technician by simply wrapping up the floor clamp with some electrical tape a few times over. This decreased the "play" between the lock and clamp thereby securing a superior hold and greatly reducing (not removing) the infernal racket.

When the Fortuner has to be loaded up with the supplies for Somalia the seats are tied up securely alongside the windows and have never posed a noise pollution problem as such.

When you do tie them up in future do remember to close the Flap that houses the locks under the seats..as if left open it can cause some noise also.

Thirdly (and i am in no way questioning your intelligence) with regard to difference in MID reading and your actual fuel consumption i was wondering if you had remembered to reset the readings on the MID to 0.00 on every tankful?

The last real trip i took in my Fortuner was in Feb '10 and i am absolutely itching to go someplace far far away with it..which is also a reason for a lack of current pics on my thread.

But now i feel a bit, nay quite a bit inspired by first Nilanjanray and now Your Good self to undertake an impromptu adventure.
Hi Manuuj, Thanks for the response !

As far as the seats are concerned my last row is always folded up and yes the plastic cover/flaps are also firmly closed. It bounces along with the vehicle and creates the racket. Straining at the straps. If I tighten the strap it quietens down for sometime and then starts again. As I have no use for them - the last row seats, was wondering whether I should have them removed permanently and refix only if there is a dire need. Would give me excellent visibility too, as the folded seats cut off visibility from the rear -side windows. How easy is it to remove the rear most seats as a DiY ? In the Scorp it was a breeze.

About the av FE display - what strikes me as odd is that couple readings were precisely as calculated and a couple nearby and 3 others wayward - which gives rise to a feeling that in case of the wayward readings it may be that those fuel dispenser meters were a tampered lot. But anyway in the city now I always fill up from a particular fuel dump only. Readings from here was nearly matching. Will continue to monitor it.

Can truly appreciate the itch to run away somewhere with the T Fort. Especially after 1 day of coming back from a long drive.
Hope you make it someplace far away soon !

Last edited by Guderian : 14th March 2011 at 16:15.
Old 14th March 2011, 16:54   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Manuuj, Thanks for the response !

As far as the seats are concerned my last row is always folded up and yes the plastic cover/flaps are also firmly closed. It bounces along with the vehicle and creates the racket. Straining at the straps. If I tighten the strap it quietens down for sometime and then starts again. As I have no use for them - the last row seats, was wondering whether I should have them removed permanently and refix only if there is a dire need. Would give me excellent visibility too, as the folded seats cut off visibility from the rear -side windows. How easy is it to remove the rear most seats as a DiY ? In the Scorp it was a breeze.

Hope you make it someplace far away soon !
I will suggest not having them tied up in that manner. This does take away the view from the rear quarter glass and can be a safety issue. Due to the constant jarring and moving of the car they will work loose and the noise will reoccur no matter what u do.

Having them like i have shown below reduces the noise whilst giving full view from the last row glass area.

Secondly i read somewhere that you do not like or need the Fender Mirror. I am attaching a picture of the view from the fender mirror. I found it to be a real boon while navigating tight spots as it gave a very good view of the front and side of the vehicle. .the Admiral needs a periscope
Attached Thumbnails
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-fortuner-seat-down.jpg  

Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-fortuner-fender-mirror.jpg  

Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks