Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2011, 19:23   #1276
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post

HG, why are you thinking of changing the under plates to Aluminium? Any particular reason?
Quote:
Originally Posted by subodh View Post
I have the same question as swanand: Why the change in plates?
Hi Swanand & Subodh,
The reason as to why I wanted to change the plates was mentioned three pages ago with a crime scene snap attached !
The reason being that I thought that the steel plates were rather thin and would be good if I were to put in 4/6 mm aluminium plates. But looks a little difficult with the shape and resultant looks etc
A bridge too far perhaps ?

And Subodh - welcome anytime to Thane for a slap of paint !

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Nice set of long, long vehicles. Some how I have maintained that the Endy is narrower than it should have been. A slightly wider Endy would have looked terrific. The facelifted dashboard also works well for the Endy. And the alloys shares similar genes with the Ikon and the Fiesta.

I have an odd question: Looks like both the vehicles were angular parked on a narrow road. Question is how much of the road was left?
Hi dot,
You are absolutely right. A slightly broader Endy would have looked something like the old Nissan Patrol with the split rear doors. That is one SUV which I really love !
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-800px19951997_nissan_patrol_gq_ii_rx_wagon_02.jpg

Well there was enough space on the road even with the two behemoths. The road is a dual carriageway one - and not as narrow as it seems.

Had indeed parked it today on a real narrow road in Colaba behind Taj in the morning. But that's another story to follow...
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2011, 22:19   #1277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
That is one SUV which I really love !
Some vehicles just don't go out of craze and Nissan Patrol is one of them...
Old 2nd October 2011, 12:00   #1278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Some vehicles just don't go out of craze and Nissan Patrol is one of them...
Aye sir, quite true.
And here's hoping that 10 years down the line our C-TFs - Classic Toyota Fortuners - too attain that kind of a cult status.

A toast to that !
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2011, 01:27   #1279
Senior - BHPian

So as mentioned in an earlier post Saturday saw me parking Admiral in a really narrow one way street of Colaba just behind the Taj, going down from Cafe Mondegar. On a domestic assignment for the offspring really.

And that earned Admiral a Purple Heart (earned for war wounds) for a nasty clip on the rear bumper by a careless bus driver from a well know private line who was trying to maneuver through the narrow lane choked with cars of all kinds including Jags !

Of course a little later I walked up and caught hold of the bus driver of course. What I did with him comes a little later.

The wound looked like:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc09024.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc09025.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc09026.jpg

Pretty nasty eh ?

And of course not to forget mentioning that the TBHP sticker was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor for having borne the brunt of the attack very well and repelling the enemy under daunting circumstances and having protected the bumper from further damage. Unbelievable ? Have a look:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc09027.jpg
Who says TBHP stickers are only for a sense of identity ? It protects too - in more ways than one !
However the skirmish left the sticker looking real great - with streaks of speed on the word 'Live' ! A beneficial by product of the event, I'd state.

So Sunday morning I had my task cut out for a DiY R&R.

First cleaned up the area. Of course the GDW did the general water cleaning. Dried the area with a clean cloth.

Then went after the minor scratches with the F1 ScratchOut. Then applied the F1 polish.
The had to remove the magic gun for the paint touch up on the nasty gouged out area. The Dupli-Color Superman.
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08912.jpg

Touched up.
Result at the end was fairly decent.
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc09038.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc09044.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc09049.jpg
Don't you think so ?

Oh yes before I forget. What did I do with that bus driver bloke ?

So after clipping Admiral, he continued his slow crawl thinking that no one was in the vehicle and no soul had noticed the episode. I felt the vibration of the the clip as I was sitting in the driver's seat and reading a book. Got down, rolled up the windows, locked the vehicle and briskly walked along the pavement and caught up with the bus, which by then was disembarking tourists in front of the Gateway. Collared him there, made a show of noting the number of the bus etc and took him back to the vehicle. He for sure was quite stunned by the sight of the apparition in front of him foaming and frothing at the mouth.

Showed him the damage and asked him to come 'alonga me' (remember P.C. Goon from Enid Blyton days ?) to the Colaba police station. I guess my close crop hair cut, Rabies (oh c'mon Ray Bans - standard issue Aviators) and OK a wee bit of bulk at the right places (muscles ? Yeah, may be !) did wonders on the poor chap's sensory perceptions. And he was willing to pay for the damages - which I generally told him would mean change of bumper etc etc for effect. Crock of pure bullcrap, I tell you.

But I wasn't mentally willing to accept any money from him knowing that the damage was really minor and I could patch it up myself.

But wasn't willing to let him go scot free either (doing my bit to keep the streets of Mumbai safe !).

So after a scratch of the scalp - voila ! The perfect solution.
Marched him to the nearby joint which had a CRY donation box and asked him to deposit INR 300/- into it. Which he did - accompanied by a fire and brimstone sermon/warning from my side. He pleaded to be let off now, which I did and he vamoosed pretty fast back to his tourists - not looking behind even once.

And so yet another eventful weekend with the Admiral I'd say.

Last edited by Guderian : 3rd October 2011 at 01:54.
Guderian is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2011, 07:50   #1280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Marched him to the nearby joint which had a CRY donation box and asked him to deposit INR 300/- into it. Which he did - accompanied by a fire and brimstone sermon/warning from my side. He pleaded to be let off now, which I did and he vamoosed pretty fast back to his tourists - not looking behind even once.

General - Sorry to read about the adventures of the Admiral. But the end result is fabulous. The wounds are not visible.

And that was really a unique way of making the bus driver pay for his act. Loved that idea.
Old 3rd October 2011, 08:24   #1281
BHPian

Ouch!

That bruise must have hurt, But no worries as it has now healed and is more of a scar! Loved the after effects.

Quote:
Marched him to the nearby joint which had a CRY donation box and asked him to deposit INR 300/- into it.
Well I really liked the way you made the driver 'CRY' and pay for his mistake.

Quote:
Loved the update as always! that equipment to take care of scratches is worth admiring. I'm not much into DIY work otherwise would have surely got it for the Aria.

That ol driver caused a lot of damage, I must say...I'm tempted!

Your friend,

Zap
Old 3rd October 2011, 09:20   #1282
Senior - BHPian

Mighty Fine job with the Superman Herr' Generale'. Need to get it ASAP (courtesy YOU....lolz as I can't find any other source). You did good making the fellow part with 300 bucks and that too for a good cause. Will teach him to be careful in the future (Though I doubt how many such drivers we can change in our world)
Old 3rd October 2011, 16:48   #1283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
General - Sorry to read about the adventures of the Admiral. But the end result is fabulous. The wounds are not visible. And that was really a unique way of making the bus driver pay for his act. Loved that idea.
Hi Amit,
Thanks.
Well these kinds of 'chote-mote ghatnaein' keep happening in 'bade sheheronmein'. Well over crowded city, over sized vehicle, over sized bus - under sized road !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappex View Post
That bruise must have hurt, But no worries as it has now healed and is more of a scar! Loved the after effects.
Well I really liked the way you made the driver 'CRY' and pay for his mistake.
Loved the update as always! that equipment to take care of scratches is worth admiring. I'm not much into DIY work otherwise would have surely got it for the Aria.
That ol driver caused a lot of damage, I must say...I'm tempted!
Hi Zap,
Thanks.
I think you should try a couple of DiYs and see how much one enjoys oneself at the end of the process when one sees the results. Much preferred that running to the ASC or somewhere else. And one gets to know the vehicle also well - besides the deepening of the bond between the man and steel being. I never tire of saying this !

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Mighty Fine job with the Superman Herr' Generale'. Need to get it ASAP (courtesy YOU....lolz as I can't find any other source). You did good making the fellow part with 300 bucks and that too for a good cause. Will teach him to be careful in the future (Though I doubt how many such drivers we can change in our world)
Hi dkaile,
Thanks.
Will try and locate someone going stateside to get you the Mica Silver pens - besides Admiral too needs a few knick knacks.

As far as the change of mindset among the drivers - to drive safe and respect the other chap's property - every drop counts I believe. And the guy who ran into me on Saturday ain't going to forget me in a hurry. He'll be careful for sometime at least.
Old 3rd October 2011, 18:06   #1284
BHPian

Quote:
1. The old Nissan Patrol with the split rear doors. That is one SUV which I really love !
Attachment 819348

2. Had indeed parked it today on a real narrow road in Colaba behind Taj in the morning. But that's another story to follow...

Hail Generale,

1. Now you have brought forth memories of the Nissan Patrol. Back during the times while I used to live in Australia, every 3rd SUV (police vehicles & pvt. tour operator vehicles) in the outback, were Nissan Patrols.

2. Parking in a tight spot has always been a major caution with me, sometimes leading to taking long walks from the parked avenue to the final destination. As my dad has always said "son, you can always have confidence about the way you drive, but you can't think likewise about the others on the road".

Good to note that the admiral has been immediately attended to and he is happy frolicking, back on the roads of Mumbai!

Cheers
Old 4th October 2011, 11:10   #1285
Senior - BHPian

Oops, that scratch must have surely left a scar on the heart! Pains to see such sights on our rides, doesnt it? Glad to see that the scars were taken care of immediately, and with what amazing effects.

The bus driver sure must have remembered the lesson for a lifetime .
Old 4th October 2011, 16:29   #1286
BHPian

Hey Goody Saar! I am back for my two bits that I have promised to post from time to time and you have been kind enough to allow.
Firstly sorry to see the first bang on the Admiral, but it will happen sooner or later, not that it dulls the blood rush!!
I also see that you continue untiringly to keep the 'gang' informed and entertained... you can quote Enid Blyton after all these years ?? That's impressive. Do kids these days read her books any more?
However back to my two bit..
Just completed the Bangalore - Leh - Bangalore loop in the Fortuner a total of 8,200 odd Kms without a hassle.
Got a average of 10.5 on the plains below 10 and above 9.5 in the mountains. Got 5.5 on the way up to Khardungla that averaged out to 9.5 by the time we reached Deskit. The entire drive involved long stops for taking photographs and standing staring open mouthed at the vistas, yep we did that a lot.
No punctures (but then that's pure chance)
No starting problems even at Sarchu at 3C in the morning, always at the first turn of the key.
The journey was very comfortable and no one had any complaints with respect to the drive. We did all types of roads without a hitch including driving through Rohtang in about 18 inches of clay and muck. Though did bottom out at a ditch dug to direct water flow across the road at one point.
You are right the under-body protection plates are very flimsy though they could be so to absorb the momentum of the hit ?
At the end of the ride there was no rattling of any kind except a slight noise (rubber compressing) in the driver side door.
The rear door plastic cladding is pathetic, even soft duffel bags have made 'rubbing' marks on it that the Service Centre cannot seem to remove even with polish.
The Bottle holders can hold only water bottles manufactured by MNC's and not locally available bottles in HP / Kashmir. Though you can force them in.
There also seems to be lack of space to keep knick-knack in the front row.
From the drivers point of view the driveability is perfect in all aspects, in my opinion.
Though the loss of power in the second gear in higher altitudes is something of a shock when you first experience it. But if you can keep the RPM above 1500 then things are cool, which is not always possible.
I guess that's it, it was a through fun ride with no hassles.
Manmohan.
Old 4th October 2011, 17:00   #1287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manmohanmaan View Post
Just completed the Bangalore - Leh - Bangalore loop in the Fortuner a total of 8,200 odd Kms without a hassle.
Got a average of 10.5 on the plains below 10 and above 9.5 in the mountains. Got 5.5 on the way up to Khardungla that averaged out to 9.5 by the time we reached Deskit. The entire drive involved long stops for taking photographs and standing staring open mouthed at the vistas, yep we did that a lot.

No punctures (but then that's pure chance)
No starting problems even at Sarchu at 3C in the morning, always at the first turn of the key.
The journey was very comfortable and no one had any complaints with respect to the drive. We did all types of roads without a hitch including driving through Rohtang in about 18 inches of clay and muck. Though did bottom out at a ditch dug to direct water flow across the road at one point.
You are right the under-body protection plates are very flimsy though they could be so to absorb the momentum of the hit ?
At the end of the ride there was no rattling of any kind except a slight noise (rubber compressing) in the driver side door.
The rear door plastic cladding is pathetic, even soft duffel bags have made 'rubbing' marks on it that the Service Centre cannot seem to remove even with polish.
The Bottle holders can hold only water bottles manufactured by MNC's and not locally available bottles in HP / Kashmir. Though you can force them in.
There also seems to be lack of space to keep knick-knack in the front row.
From the drivers point of view the driveability is perfect in all aspects, in my opinion.
Though the loss of power in the second gear in higher altitudes is something of a shock when you first experience it. But if you can keep the RPM above 1500 then things are cool, which is not always possible.
I guess that's it, it was a through fun ride with no hassles.
Manmohan.
AAAAAARRGGGGHHHH! Such a fantastic trip and no Travelogue to show for it!!

MM ji you are truly cruel.

I am hereby serving you notice that if very soon we are not presented with a beautiful write up of the whole trip, from the minute you decided to undertake the trip to the time you finally parked it back home, accompanied with atleast 100 pics, i too shall, in following the footsteps of the venerable Anna Ji who went up against your namesake, take up Dharna outside your residence until aforesaid demands are satisfied.

I'm not Joking.

Good to know that there were no starting problems,no punctures and no annoying rattles either during the trip

The water bottle situation is actually a ploy by the well meaning engineers at TOYOTA to ensure that you buy only the best water from leading MNC's and not from the 'chalta-phirta' manufacturers that may not be able to always deliver their quality consistently. ;-)

Looking forward to your travelogue. Please do oblige (Humble request).

Quote:
So as mentioned in an earlier post Saturday saw me parking Admiral in a really narrow one way street of Colaba just behind the Taj, going down from Cafe Mondegar. On a domestic assignment for the offspring really.

And that earned Admiral a Purple Heart (earned for war wounds) for a nasty clip on the rear bumper by a careless bus driver from a well know private line who was trying to maneuver through the narrow lane choked with cars ..
Really Sorry that the Admiral had to rub shoulders with the BEST of Mumbai General Saa'r!

All the same very glad to note that first aid has been administered and the soldier has reported to duty without delay.

Also glad to note that the quality of aid administered was keeping in line with the best traditions and standards of the armed forces thus ensuring that only a very minor scar is all that remains on the Admiral even though it was a true "David and Goliath face off"

Wishing the General and Admiral many more happy miles together. The Fortuner sends its regards.
Old 4th October 2011, 20:23   #1288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey. First of all congratulations on the Trip. It is a feat. Awaiting the Travelogue and experiences. Needless to say the pictures.

Did you need to use the LL anytime or was the HL good enought for the road.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2011, 20:53   #1289
Senior - BHPian

Hail General!

AK reporting in. I am sure a cup of rum will do for the Admiral. Did you treat him with morphein or directly patched him up? Why is there a patch of paint on the point of first contact?Can you not grind(smoothen out) the surface at some local workshop? They do it with a sponge grinder.(grease monkeys will know it for sure, and use it to polish the paintings)

OT: But anyway, now the respect for "General" has twin folded. I guess you can now be awarded VSM(Vishista Seva Medal) for your honarable act towards punishing and making the punishment worth! So, one war and you bagged three medals, First admiral gets a Purple cross, LTD sticker gets Medal of Honour and you sir, get the Vishishta Seva Medal. I guess I would have honoured you with a Field Marshal, had this been a bigger war and the wounds been deeper(I pray that day shall not come!).
Old 5th October 2011, 06:52   #1290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
Hail Generale,

1. Now you have brought forth memories of the Nissan Patrol. Back during the times while I used to live in Australia, every 3rd SUV (police vehicles & pvt. tour operator vehicles) in the outback, were Nissan Patrols.

2. Parking in a tight spot has always been a major caution with me, sometimes leading to taking long walks from the parked avenue to the final destination. As my dad has always said "son, you can always have confidence about the way you drive, but you can't think likewise about the others on the road".

Good to note that the admiral has been immediately attended to and he is happy frolicking, back on the roads of Mumbai!

Cheers
Hi Monaro,
Thanks.
The old Nissan Patrol is something that I just can't seem to get out of my mind primarily due to the fact that it is associated with the Jonga (and therefore childhood) and secondly because I keep running into one of them glorious beasts on the roads of Thane once in a way - a gorgeous deep purple/indigo coloured one and I am generally left speechless seeing it in action. Great shape and design that. And those split rear doors are truly from a different but glorious era really ! And this Patrol that I run into is immaculately maintained too adding to the joy of just watching it. Someday when I run into it I am going to stop is and.....!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Oops, that scratch must have surely left a scar on the heart! Pains to see such sights on our rides, doesnt it? Glad to see that the scars were taken care of immediately, and with what amazing effects.

The bus driver sure must have remembered the lesson for a lifetime .
Hi SI,
Thanks.
That brush by left more than a scar on the heart and as they say the first cut is the deepest (Cat Stevens I believe ?). Also a great reinforcement of the sobering feeling and learning that these happenings will occur and that it can be dealt with in terms of the situation and the matter of restoring your possession of pride to its glory or whatever.

Quote:
Hey Goody Saar! I am back for my two bits that I have promised to post from time to time and you have been kind enough to allow.
Hi MMji,
Welcome back !
I know you have been rather busy with all the ongoing problems with the uncles in your cabinet and aunts outside.

Thanks for the words of comfort on the incident of 'brush by'.
Yeah Enid Blyton - pages from a bygone era - replaced completely by JKR and Harry P. Though Harry P has the shades of Famous 5 & 7.

Wonderful snapshot (figuratively !) of your Ladakh trip. You made it appear so easy. Plan to do it on the Admiral sometime. Hopefully soon.

About the vehicle's behaviour on the mountains. You are absolutely right - the key to keep it in good band is to have it in the RPM level above 1.5K and through slotting it in the right gear. Have felt so too in my trips into the mountain and on sharp, long gradients.

Nope - enough has been said and faced by you, so not joining the chorus to demand for a t'logue/snaps etc etc !
You aren't related, by any chance, to Greta (of the Garbo fame), Doris (of the Day fame), JD (of the Salinger fame), Bobby ( Fischer... anyone ?), Harper (Lee - wallah) and other recluses are you ?!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
AAAAAARRGGGGHHHH! Such a fantastic trip and no Travelogue to show for it!!
MM ji you are truly cruel.
See MMji what I mean ?!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
Really Sorry that the Admiral had to rub shoulders with the BEST of Mumbai General Saa'r!
All the same very glad to note that first aid has been administered and the soldier has reported to duty without delay.
Also glad to note that the quality of aid administered was keeping in line with the best traditions and standards of the armed forces thus ensuring that only a very minor scar is all that remains on the Admiral even though it was a true "David and Goliath face off"
Wishing the General and Admiral many more happy miles together. The Fortuner sends its regards.
Hi Manuuj,
Many thanks to you and The Fortuner. (And as far as the Bentley is concerned - hummmfff - though !)

However must say that the pills and potions that Admiral has pales in comparision to the line up you have in your spa. Someday will drive down there for an R&R in your salon !

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
Why is there a patch of paint on the point of first contact?Can you not grind(smoothen out) the surface at some local workshop? They do it with a sponge grinder.(grease monkeys will know it for sure, and use it to polish the paintings)
Hi AK,
Welcome back. There was actually quite bit of gouged out depth there so it looks a little uneven. I used multiple layers of thick paint to fill it up. Hence looks uneven. Expect that over a period of time it'll smoothen out.
If I use a sponge grinder there now there'll be or could lead to a colour difference I reckon - so will wait and watch for a few days. Anyway I observed over the last two days that nothing can be noticed really and it has slowly blended in well. Must be the effect of sunlight/water etc on the patch.

OT: Thanks for all those additional citations !
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks