Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2011, 20:35   #106
dot
Senior - BHPian

re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. A Month of Ownership & New Snaps!

@Guderian,

The is definitely the top two entertaining reviews I have ever read in TBHP (the other being a particularly Superb one). The best part was a new word in the lingo "T Fort". Loved the pic of General Togo barking at a poor Captiva. Usually I have not put my unusually long nose at 4x4 threads, simply because they are a different breed altogether where I don't think I can contribute anything of value. However this is totally different, a new SUV review which reads like a family drama plus a thrilling travelogue. Man, you rock.

Congratulations!

Last edited by dot : 12th March 2011 at 20:38.
Old 12th March 2011, 22:25   #107
BHPian

re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. A Month of Ownership & New Snaps!

Hmm....Where do I start? Should I just begin saying what a productive Saturday morning it has been! No, I'm not talking about clearing cobwebs with that odd broom but having woken up from a rather long slumber.

I have been a very mute spectator on team-bhp since I wrote the initial review of our Blue eyed boy but let truth be told, I wish the antidote to team-bhp's addictive bite must forever remain an inventors dream. So far I have read thru all the posts with avid interest but this one did the unthinkable. It just grabbed my fingers and started typing this congratulatory note!

Wishing you many more happy miles with the Admiral! Also, I echo the opinion of many members here; your writing deserves to be on a paperback. The rate at which you sprinkle humor in every area (technical or otherwise) is a true reader’s delight.

Last edited by aah78 : 12th March 2011 at 22:53. Reason: Text format tags removed.
Old 13th March 2011, 00:41   #108
BHPian

Dear Goodey Saar, nice combination of humour and science and very informative.
Looks like you stored your lugguage by folding the third row of seats, did it result in some of the smaller packets sliding under the second row and into the leg space there ?
How did the OEM Dunlop tyres behave on inclined mud roads (if you drove over any) ?
Manmohan.
Old 13th March 2011, 08:34   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajman28 View Post
Dear Guderian,

First of all congratulation on acquiring the Admiral.

This is a beautiful, beautiful thread. You have made the simple joy of ownership into an extremely entertaining piece of story which I am sure has brought a smile to many members.

Thank you.

The thread gets a 5 star rating.

Rgds,
Aj
Hi Ajay, Thank you for the good wishes and your rating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
AK reporting in again sir:

I actually saw in a car shop near my home, a similar fender mirror being attached on a safari. I spoke to the mechanic. He named some funky chinky super-glue which would not spoil the paint in case you need to peel it off. But my 2 cents use Fevicol.(Fevicol ka jod hain tuttega nahi)

Any idea of modding the interiors? How is the rear bench cooling? Well this question is for your 1 dollar passengers. Sir if I bring in people for 10 INR, can I get a free ride?

over sir
Guderian to AK......Come in.
OK I am not planning to install the fender mirror at all due to the protrusion factor, as well as the fact that it changes the profile/looks and I am not happy with the looks/ profile of the Tforts that I have seen it on.
No modifications of the interiors at all. Love the stock feel.
The rear bench cooling is fantastic, as per the offspring who sat there throughout. Last row cooling - not sure. There was no need to try it. In fact after playing around with the rear bench AC controls for sometime he asked me to shut it off as the front AC vents blast was more than enough for the rear(middle) row as well.
About your free ride - let's talk about it shall we ? Awwwright forget it - OK you get it !
Over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
@Guderian,

The is definitely the top two entertaining reviews I have ever read in TBHP (the other being a particularly Superb one). The best part was a new word in the lingo "T Fort". Loved the pic of General Togo barking at a poor Captiva. Usually I have not put my unusually long nose at 4x4 threads, simply because they are a different breed altogether where I don't think I can contribute anything of value. However this is totally different, a new SUV review which reads like a family drama plus a thrilling travelogue. Man, you rock.

Congratulations!
Hi Dot, First things first - Not General - Admiral. Secondly Admiral Togo doesn't bark/wasn't barking - he was growling, like all gruff n tough men do. (Nope, I am not going to tattle all this to the Admiral - so we still stay friends !)
And seriously, thank you very much for having read the piece and writing in so charmingly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manmohanmaan View Post
Dear Goodey Saar, nice combination of humour and science and very informative.
Looks like you stored your lugguage by folding the third row of seats, did it result in some of the smaller packets sliding under the second row and into the leg space there ?
How did the OEM Dunlop tyres behave on inclined mud roads (if you drove over any) ?
Manmohan.
Hi Manmohan,
Thanks for the comments. Yes the last row is permanently folded. There was plenty of space for the luggage and small packets picked up along the way etc. However the Loadmaster (All giant aircraft, read C-5, Hercules - C-130 our own ANs etc have a payload master who arrange the loads, sequence etc so the aircraft is stable in flight), in my case the LoH (and quite a stiff Loadmaster at that - try placing a loose pair of chappals for the beach in the back or anywhere, the mouthful you'd receive would make you forget beaches and water for sometime and you'll suddenly realise what one feels like being a 'son of a beach' !), generally has a pattern of loading where the heavier stuff is inside - towards the seats and the lighter individual packets and bags towards the tail. Thereby not much of a slide issue causing the aircraft to bank heavily !
About the Dunlops - so so. Nothing great. Althought did a few rough spots and mud roads (very few though) it did the job. What I was not very happy with was the tyre hum in the cabin. Rather high. I will use them and run for the Yoko Geos, which according to me are delightful. Had them on the Scorp and it performed very well with sepuchral silence in the cabin. Though the life could have been short in them due to the soft tyres. But grip and comfort nothing to beat them ! Let's see how long the Dunnys last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KameshR View Post
Hmm....Where do I start? Should I just begin saying what a productive Saturday morning it has been! No, I'm not talking about clearing cobwebs with that odd broom but having woken up from a rather long slumber.

I have been a very mute spectator on team-bhp since I wrote the initial review of our Blue eyed boy but let truth be told, I wish the antidote to team-bhp's addictive bite must forever remain an inventors dream. So far I have read thru all the posts with avid interest but this one did the unthinkable. It just grabbed my fingers and started typing this congratulatory note!

Wishing you many more happy miles with the Admiral! Also, I echo the opinion of many members here; your writing deserves to be on a paperback. The rate at which you sprinkle humor in every area (technical or otherwise) is a true reader’s delight.

Last edited by Guderian : 13th March 2011 at 08:51.
Old 13th March 2011, 08:59   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Well, I have sat in and driven a new Prado and I was kind of impressed. It feels better inside, has more features and feels like a luxury SUV. Moreover, it is these Prados and LCs that have earned a reputation for outlasting their owners across continents.

The Fortuner is quite raw in comparison since it is essentially a stripped down version of the Prado to cut costs though it is pretty much the same in terms of mechanicals.
Dev, the fortuner is based on the Hilux platform and the Prado and the Landcruiser are based on different chassis layout all together. The Landcruiser is much tougher and built to last longer. The fortuner (hi lux) and the cruisers are both capable vehicles and probably as capable as each other. The hilux platform though is proven off road and vehicles have climbed hills and gone to the poles and even top gear unsuccessfully tried to destroy one but couldn't. The Indian fortuner gets a very refined powerplant which is the same as the Prado's but the one on the Prado is tuned for higher power outputs.
Old 13th March 2011, 09:31   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KameshR View Post

Hi KameshR/RameshK,
Thanks a million for the wonderful pat on the back. Each one so unique that I may yet start taking myself seriously ! Thanks for writing in. Hope to see you around more regularly.
Old 13th March 2011, 14:30   #112
Senior - BHPian

[Before I begin this part - Heartfelt condolences to The People of Japan, whose products we love and have been using for a long, long time and a country we greatly admire, on the recent Tsunami which hit them hard. May the souls of the people who lost their lives rest in peace. And may the country face this tragedy, as ever, with firm resolve and strength of purpose. Our prayers are with you !]

March 11 - 12, 2011.Kundapur/Kollur -Thane.

The Admiral's Gallant Charge.

Spent a day and a half in Kundapaur, after couple of lazy, lazy days in Chikmagalur. The primary objective of the stay at Kundapur was to visit the grand old temple at Kollur (about 38 KMs from Kundapur off NH17 and within the Mookambika Wild Life Sanctuary). The Kollur temple is a Saraswathy temple which is an 8th Century. We have been visiting this temple for the last few years every year for religious observances. This year in addition we thought that being new, a pooja of the Admiral would be in order. And so it was carried out by the temple priests. Or maybe the LoH did feel that with so much of raw power of the T Fort, my driving skills required Divine blessings and interventions at times ! Well knowing the condition of our roads and the driving skills or the lack of it of the other blokes on the roads (read non Team BHPians !) I too thought it rather prudent to seek heavenly cover whenever I am on the roads and otherwise too, for the Admiral.

The Entrance of the Temple:

Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-kollur-mookambika-entrance.jpg

Getting Admiral in position right outside the main entrance:

Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc00720.jpg
The Pooja begins:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc00724.jpg

There is another 4X4 taking a keen interest in the proceedings ! Did you know that the Elephant is supposed to be a true 4X4 of the animal kingdom ? Read a report in the TOI, almost a year ago, that scientists have discovered that the Elephant is closest in nature to what we mortals today know as 4X4 capabilities. It includes independent normal power to all legs, sending excess power to each leg separately when situation demands (differential lock/traction control ?),different muscle blocks in legs separately controlled by different zones in the brain (intelligent 4X4 ?) and so on:

Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc00726.jpg

He is keenly interested in the engine too apart from the proceedings:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc00728.jpg

The pooja completed:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc00731.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc00732.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc00733.jpg

And the next day, Saturday, we left Kundapur at 4.00 am hoping to reach, as usual, Thane by 6.00 pm via Hubli and the GQ path.This was the usual time taken by Guderian the Scorpio (alas, now no more with me !) after some real spirited driving and some real low averages of 9-10 KMPL.

I could sense quite early on that a new set of calculations would have to be worked out as far as Admiral Tojo was concerned. The distance between Kundapura and Ankola (Kamat Upchar - a break for breakfast turned out to be a hard brake for breakfast !) about 197 KMs used to take me about 3-1/2 hours. Normally I would reach this place by 7.30 am. This was/is due to the early hour traffic, darkness, quite a few bends, single carriageway as well as early morning animals crossing the roads like their owners. Dark brown/black cows and owners in black shirts on dark roads are a wonderful combination for the unsuspecting drivers !

Driving along at a quick pace thanks to the bends being no longer a problem and it being still dark I was in my own world - song on my lips and a jazz quartet on the car's sytem (two different tunes altogether !) when suddenly the offspring yelled into my ear "Breakfast !". Suddenly I was out of my reverie and thinking for a split second that the strapping lad was as usual thinking about food bordering on gluttony when suddenly I heard the LoH also chiming in enquiring as to whether we were not stopping for B'f. I asked her and the son (all in slit seconds - being recounted here in slow motion, if you please !) as to why were we wanting to try a new place. And suddenly I realised we were passing by Ankola Kamat. Had to look behind, brake real hard and cut left in milli seconds. And then when stopped, looked around - it was still dark and my WW - it showed 6.15. AM or PM I wondered ? It was impossible - we had knocked off almost 1 hour and 15 minutes from the sheet.

Left Ankola at 6.45 am and took the NH 66 towards Hubli. Traffic was sparse. Thanks to the ban of exports of Iron Ore from Bellary. 136 KMs on this road used to narmally take about 90 minutes and we would touch Hubli by about 9.45-10.00 am. We touched Hubli at 8.12 am. Nothing seemd impossible now.

Except that at around the village of Yellapur I ran over two small road humps (about 6" size) one after another at around 120 KMPH. I, later, kicked myself for it. But then realised that I was being very harsh on poor ol' me. There was no way I could have slowed down as they were virtually invisible. And what happened to Admiral ? Surprise of surprises. Just hard thumps and nothing else. Not even a shake or roll. And two them in quick succession. The thump travelled into my/LoH's seats. For a fraction of a second I thought that the air bags would be deployed - and had visions of approximately 1 lakh INR floating away. Nothing. That's it. Very concerned, when I halted at the Hubli BP examined every bit of the engine for jarred loose wires/tubes etc - nothing. Looked underneath. Was sure that the alignment would have been despatched for a six. And then on the drive repeatedly checked the steering alignment. Nothing. Straigth as ever no pulling to any side. Disbelief, total disbelief. Mind stretched back to the days with the Scorp - which after such an episode used to have a bad case of mis-alignment. Which normally necessitated a run to the nearest alignment chappie. I was still deeply suspicious of the Admiral's capability to handle such jarring events ! Human nature I suppose - that even when a good thing occurs you tend to lean on bad experiences and try drawing parallels and remain suspicious. Tried, tried and tried finding some issue with the steering. Ramrod erect as it was on day one. Saluted the Admiral and continued.

On the GQ decided to cut the Admiral loose. Was on a constant 140 KMPH. Hit 150 KMP after sometime.
Confidence grew. Remained as much as possible on 140 KMPH. Pune which normally came at 3.30 pm flashed past at 1.00 pm.

Convinced the offspring (ever hungry - see those chicks on National Geographic always yelling for food and beaks perpetually open ?) and LoH to press forward and ram straight to Thane instead of taking a lunch break. Offered the offspring a Dominoes bonanza on reaching home. Offer accepted with deep suspicion (What is it with the world ? Why is every one so suspicious these days ? Yeah OK, I had promised such stuff to him in the past and went back on it due to some minor problems say like reading about illeffects of fast food/s, neighbours children also being around just at the time of ordering, anti multi national rhetoric etc, so what ? Can't be suspicious for ever !).

And on the Pune Mumbai Expressway really wanted the Admiral to sing a song. Touched 160 KMPH 2-3 times briefly. Didn't have the guts to go beyond, though the pedal had much more space to travel. And then the conservative nature and visions of reading accident news in the papers recently took over. Maintained a steady speed of 140 KMPH. The Admiral stayed rock solid through all the speed points. Not a single moment of rock and roll. So much so that at a couple of points told the LoH and the offspring that it was 160 KMPH and 150 KMPH etc. Now normally the LoH a very sensible person (She married me didn't she ? Need any further proof me laddies ?), who always warned me when I used to touch 120 KMPH, looked up and was genuinely surprised. The lad at the back looked up from his book and ipod (yeah, yeah - there was a different song on the TFort's system, a different one on my lips and a wretched Eminem or something on his ipod......such a harmony in the family I tell you......) and muttered something about the need to be careful etc and went back to his activities. A normal screaming match about driving skills and who possessed it (LoH always claimed that she could drive to the moon and get back without anyone in the car knowing about it. I always agree, stating as to who would know if she was always drove alone......) etc was totally avoided.

And very soon the Thane - Belapur was crossed and we were home and dry by 3.20 pm. Admiral had shaved off almost 2 hours and 40 minutes of drive time from the earlier days !

At the end the trip meter looked like:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc06608.jpg

And the odometer:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc06606.jpg

A mission well done. Moored the Admiral in his dock. Saluted him and was proceeding to savour the sharp run of the day when the LoH reminded me sharply about the completion of the quayside activities.
And then began the harbour activities of unloading tonnes of material that the LoH had picked up on the way, by the way etc., that resembled aid relief to Somalia from one of the US ships. Being quick to delegate work - the offspring was reminded about the D pizzas and the need to work up an appetite etc. Blackmail and inducement works well in this in this country ! Everything was hunky dory and yours truly didn't have a to lift a finger really saving energy for another day !

And now on to some facts.......but taking a break here.....!

(To be continued...)

Last edited by GTO : 14th March 2011 at 09:28. Reason: Adding spaces between paragraphs for better readability
Guderian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2011, 16:37   #113
Senior - BHPian

The Admiral's Gallant Charge........Cont'd.

And now onwards to some facts !

FE:

Overall- Total amount of fuel consumed - 223.66 Lts.
Total KMs run - 2371.58.
Overall FE - 10.60 KMPL.
Sectorwise-
Best FE - 13.51 KMPL - Speed range : 80-100 KMPH - Thane to Nipani.
Worst FE - 8.11 KMPL - Speed range: 90-130 KMPH - Kundapur to Hubli. FE drop unexplained.
Next Best - 11.50 KMPL - Speed range: 80-120 KMPH - Bangalore to Belur.
High Speed - 10.92 KMPL - Speed range: 120 - 160 KMPH - Hubli to Thane.

Needless to state that except once or twice the MID average and my calculations (above) were at total variance !

Tyres: Dunlop AT20 - 265/65/R17.
Nothing much to write home about. Did its job, that is it. But very high tyre hum in the cabin. Grip on loose/rough surfaces could be better - going by some very short distance runs on such surfaces.
My earlier Yoko Geos were much better in every sense though they were rather soft and would wear out fast. But then I was getting close to about 60K life on them - but the wet and loose ground grip and the ride comfort was superb. Will ride out the Dunlops and then rush to put in the Yokos. All I can say is Geo mere Lal ! Jug-Jug Geo !

Brakes:

Here is where the real good news is - by my experience. I was/am very, very happy with the brakes.
There were at least 6-7 major scares during the last two phases of the drive.

Now, during the Chikmaglur - Kundapur dash there was a major scare around a bend when a bus came barrelling down on us and I must have been doing about 80 KMPH on the rather empty roads. Tooted the horn before the bend and suddenly in front of me was the visage of a bus. A bus never looked so big, ever, to me. Cut sharp to the left, brakes. At the right place Admiral halted - no screeches, no skids, no sponges or any other sea creatures. The bus meanwhile cut to his left did, braked. Grinning driver's smile was wiped out by a stream of healthy abuses in chaste Kannada.

Similarly on the Hubli - Thane run - there were emergency situations at least on 6 occassions, mostly by ST buses of the KA and MH types cutting lanes without warning and at the last minute. A Dudhwala's jeep, suddenly remembering that he needs to deliver dudh to the village on the right of the GQ where the Patil's daughter was being married off, cut sharp right from the left most lane just about few inches ahead of Admiral's snout ! And once a motorcyclist attempting to achieve a breakthrough in cutting across the GQ ahead of an Admiral in great hurry. Or he was suddenly afflicted by the Lemming Syndrome. No, no he read about Hara Kiri/Seppuku just that morning and was on the look out for a Japanese sword for completing the ritual - what better than a T Fort !

Each time the brakes held out well. Stopped as required. Once rather hard. But no real sorry state here. No screeching/skidding. Didn't have to stand on the brakes either. No rocking or rolling thanks to the great, great suspension. One of the ST (MH) episodes was close.

And I wouldn't let go either. Each time, post event, I slowed down and abused the man opposite in choicest (as much possible) chaste Kannada/Marathi words. Few things worked in my favour - my hair cut, my Ray B glasses (Aviator please ! Standard Men in Khaki purchase), which sort of gave me a corrupt Khaki guy image.
All in the interest of the other road users, I philosophised to the LoH, who turned crimson red at every such exchange of ideas and descriptions of family members. And I reminded her that I was using mild words keeping in mind her's and the lad's presences. Or else it would have gone several notches higher. But sirs, let me reiterate, I am a rather peace loving bloke who never speaks above a hush. But when called to battle - then.....
But coming back, I am rather happy with the brakes - hope the happiness stays that a way !

A message for GTO from the fellows below:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc06610.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc06611.jpg

"GTOsan - You had mentioned -"Mister, you need bigger brake discs up at the front. Top priority:". We get big discs. We hope you happy."

Others:

- I had a perception, from the date I brought the Admiral home, that the coolant level was falling. At the first check up before the run I asked the ASC chaps to check it out thoroughly. They did checks - high speed revving, up on the hoist etc. Reported all clear. Standing on the shop floor I did my own checks and came up with nothing. Yet carried a bottle of coolant for an emergency. Had the ASC chaps to top up. Kept observing the level in the cold engine condition throughout. Even the check this morning after the high speed run revealed thankfully that there was no coolant loss.

The level stayed though out at:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc06512.jpg

And then realised that when an engine is new and starts to break in, the coolant level falls over a period of time (first 4/5 days) once the circulation begins on/in real world usage and then stabilises. Had happened to my Scorp as well. Just didn't remember and made the poor ASC chaps' life miserable that morning ! Sorry fellas.

- Interiors very comfortable. LoH very happy with the co passenger's space, the very stable ride quality compared to the Scorp. Asked the Lad this morning what his thoughts were - he carefully thought over it and asked if there was any food still left in the vehicle and if there was a pizza attached to the Q he would send in a 2 page report on the email ! But the space factor was another surprise. I had the impression that Admiral was far short compared to the Scorp. But it matched it inch for inch and was very comfortable too. Simple things like removing the victuals from the luggage area by just folding one of the middle row seats without having to open the tail gate was a boon. The hundreds of cubby holes ensured that, if you remembered, you then had the right thing at the right place. You needn't have all the time gone to the rear where you had stored it all. Just simple well thought out arrangement of placement items before a journey, made life very easy in the vehicle as compared to the earlier days. And the LoH is a perfect Load Master. As they have in giant transport planes of Air Forces - C5s, Hercules'/C-130s as do our Antonovs and now C130s. A Load Master prepares the loading manifest and positioning of the loads to prevent load shifts during flights to prevent weight imbalances. And reputedly they are tough guys having to deal with all kinds of guys wanting to load stuff they like on their priorities. And so is the LoH. Try talking her into leaving a bag in the rear seat for your convenience as the laddie tried with his iPod/camera/books ensemble. Was quickly ordered out of the flight with his things to the rear and remove things when the vehicle had stopped completely from the baggage area - or else no food.
Ten - hut ! There's an officer on the deck !

- The seats - Got used to the height and now find them very, very comfortable. Every 'thing' is amazingly supported well. The back, the thighs, and the arms. Absolutely no driver fatigue, even at the end of 15 hours of constant, slow paced driving (Thane - Blr).

- The AC/climate controller is a fantastic chiller. No Q's about it. Though initially when it brings downs the temp to the desired level - it is very noisy with the blower running at full blast. Later, once the temperature desired is attained in the cabin, it drops to a whisper.

- Ride quality is totally to my delight. And the suspension wins my vote by that single episode of road hump thrashing at 120 KMPH. No discussions. Checked the underpinning/alloys etc today. All seems to be well. Yet will get the alignment done up at the 5 K servicing.

- One thing that got my goat in the initial part of the drive was the constant racket being created by the folded last row seats. Was getting on to my nerves at a point of time. At Bangalore tightened the straps which held on for sometime till C'mlr. Once again after some rough patches the orchestra started in full volume. Annoyed, in the next leg I jammed the suitcases into the folded seats. Voila ! That did the trick for the rest of the trip. Deep, deep silence but for the offspring's constant chewing in the back.("Stop that infernal racket, will you ? At this rate you are going to be chewing up the carpet sometime soon." "Yup you got that right Dad, if we don't stop soon for a bite..... even the leather goes !")

- Another thing I discovered to my great annoyance was that the roof rails/ski rails are downright lousy. At the core is a hard metal tubing and the outer is a flimsy metal covering like a thin tin soldier. When I grip the outer hard it appears to be splintering and coming apart. And gripping I had to do many times to shake the Admiral from side to side when topping up the fuel to his gullet. And there are gaps at the joints. Ideal place for rain water to seep in and collect and rust to follow on the roof at the rail point. Need to do what I did on the Scorp. Steelgrip all the joints. A Toyota having this quality ? This must have been an outsourced item in India and so the results. Or "Japanese hands dainty, cultured, soft hands use things gently. No problemo. Rough hands belonging to drivers who abuse other drivers on roads have no place in the T Fort."

- All other fitments seem to work really well. Except I seemed to be puzzled by the MID fuel averages. Out of all the measurements only twice was it bang on and once near by. Possibly that the pump meters are all screwed up or manipulated ? Ho sakta hai ?

And so ends my impressions of the first long drive in the Admiral.

Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro, the T Fort - You have done me proud ! Banzai !

Last edited by GTO : 14th March 2011 at 09:29. Reason: Adding spaces between paragraphs for better readability
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2011, 18:37   #114
Senior - BHPian

Note:

Some corrections in the language - before the English Professor's wake up and lead a cavalry charge on my position/s ! Couldn't edit it before the 45 minutes.
Apologies.
The Admiral's Gallant Charge.

-This year in addition we thought that being new, a pooja for the Admiral would be in order. And so it was carried out by the temple priests. Or maybe the LoH did feel that with so much of raw power in the T Fort, my driving skills required Divine blessings and interventions at times ! Well knowing the condition of our roads and the driving skills or the lack of it of/in the other blokes on the roads (read non Team BHPians !) I too thought it rather prudent to seek heavenly cover whenever I am on the roads and otherwise too, for the Admiral.

- I could sense quite early on that a new set of calculations would have to be worked out as far as Admiral Togo was concerned.

-And then when we had stopped, looked around - it was still dark and my WW - it showed 6.15. AM or PM I wondered ?

-Nothing seemed impossible now.

-(LoH always claimed that she could drive to the moon and get back w-ithout anyone in the car knowing about it. I always agree, stating as to who would know, as she always drove alone......) etc was totally avoided.

-And then began the dock side activities of unloading tonnes of material that the LoH had picked up on the way, by the way etc., that resembled aid relief to Somalia from one of the US ships.

Sorry once again !
Old 13th March 2011, 19:50   #115
Team-BHP Support

Hi Guderian, just finished reading about your journey with the mighty Fortuner. Quite late to this thread, but I hope its not late to congratulate you. So Congratulations...!!!

Of all the fantastic details mentioned (and commented) in this thread, what I liked the most is that you've properly defined the gender of Fortuner. For me, this car is definitely male!

Because of this thread (along with Nilanjanray's black Bison writeup) Fortuner has got a new fan!
Old 13th March 2011, 20:23   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Elephant is closest in nature to what we mortals today know as 4X4 capabilities. It includes independent normal power to all legs, sending excess power to each leg separately when situation demands (differential lock/traction control ?),different muscle blocks in legs separately controlled by different zones in the brain (intelligent 4X4 ?) and so on:
Thats some comparison.

Quote:
The Admiral's Gallant Charge........Cont'd.

And now onwards to some facts !

FE:

Overall- Total amount of fuel consumed - 223.66 Lts.
Total KMs run - 2371.58.
Overall FE - 10.60 KMPL.
Sectorwise-
Best FE - 13.51 KMPL - Speed range : 80-100 KMPH - Thane to Nipani.
Worst FE - 8.11 KMPL - Speed range: 90-130 KMPH - Kundapur to Hubli. FE drop unexplained.
Next Best - 11.50 KMPL - Speed range: 80-120 KMPH - Bangalore to Belur.
High Speed - 10.92 KMPL - Speed range: 120 - 160 KMPH - Hubli to Thane.
Some detailed FE figures you have got there. So how does it compare with your Guderian Scorpio?
Old 13th March 2011, 20:34   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The distance between Kundapura and Ankola (Kamat Upchar - a break for breakfast turned out to be a hard brake for breakfast !) about 197 KMs used to take me about 3-1/2 hours.
It was impossible - we had knocked off almost 1 hour and 15 minutes from the sheet.

LoH reminded me sharply about the completion of the quayside activities.
And then began the harbour activities of unloading tonnes of material that the ....
Everything was hunky dory and yours truly didn't have a to lift a finger really saving energy for another day !
Hi,
Halving highway travel time is incredible. You wouldn't have GPS trackplots (with time) of your Scorpio and Fortuner runs, would you?

On another note, what does survival school say about disobeying SWMBO?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 13th March 2011, 21:08   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Hi Guderian, just finished reading about your journey with the mighty Fortuner. Quite late to this thread, but I hope its not late to congratulate you. So Congratulations...!!!

Of all the fantastic details mentioned (and commented) in this thread, what I liked the most is that you've properly defined the gender of Fortuner. For me, this car is definitely male!

Because of this thread (along with Nilanjanray's black Bison writeup) Fortuner has got a new fan!
Hi VBSan, Thanks and it's never too late for anything !
And well and truly the T Fort is a male. Peer underneath and you'll find two differential 'spheres' !

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Thats some comparison.

Some detailed FE figures you have got there. So how does it compare with your Guderian Scorpio?
Hi Amit, As far as spirited/ hot chase highway runs are concerned appears that the Admiral is returning better figures than the Scorp. However in sedate(?) city runs the Scorp was returning very good figures. However to be fair I have to wait for the Admiral's engine to truly free up. Actually the best figures returned by Guderian was in the last two years of its time with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Hi,
Halving highway travel time is incredible. You wouldn't have GPS trackplots (with time) of your Scorpio and Fortuner runs, would you?

On another note, what does survival school say about disobeying SWMBO?

Regards
Sutripta
Hi, Not really halving it. In the first phase of the Saturday run - K'pur to Ankola reduced 1hour 15 mts from an earlier 3-1/2 hours. So approx reduced 1/3rd of the time. However overall timing was reduced by 2 hours and 40 minutes from an earlier 13-1/2 to 14 hours.

Nope, don't run on a GPS.
In fact couple of years ago on a visit to the US a friend insisted that I buy a Garmin. I mentioned to him that I use the 'Grameen' system. Seeing his blank face I explained. Just roll down the window and holler out to a villager for the directions and get way points. And roll down the window again for check with another villager on the first villager's directions and get a running fix. What better way can there be in India than the 'Grameen' system ?

SWMBO ? Tell me more ?
Old 13th March 2011, 21:20   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
W.A.G...hmm that sets me thinking. A member of irfca?
O.T: I am a member of the IRFCA forums but not yet done any active posting on it. But I am a total fan of Indian railways!

Guderian: Sorry for hijacking your thread! Carry on with the brilliant writeup
Old 13th March 2011, 21:31   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
O.T: I am a member of the IRFCA forums but not yet done any active posting on it. But I am a total fan of Indian railways!

Guderian: Sorry for hijacking your thread! Carry on with the brilliant writeup
Not to worry WAG7. I too am a fan of IR. Have taken long rides in steam and diesel locomotive engines and later on in the first assignment of mine in a huge cement factory had to learn operating Suri & Nayar (SAN) locomotives as a part of the management red book to counter strikes - so that material rakes could always be positioned for unloading and empty rakes and finished goods rakes be pushed out in time to avoid stiff demurrage charges by IR during strikes. Ahhh......the good old days !

And now I need to apologise to Admiral for hijacking his thread !
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks