Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2011, 00:02   #1141
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

The Day After...

Took a day off today. For R&R and to tend to the Admiral.

Opened up the engine bay thinking it would be dirty from all the splattering. But was surprisingly clean. Or relatively so.
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08678.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08679.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08680.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08681.jpg

Dirty but proud badges !
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08687.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08690.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08698.jpg

Interiors were mucky:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08682.jpg

GDW almost had a cardiac arrest !
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08684.jpg

In the end didn't have to talk to them though:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08702.jpg

Got the Admiral smiling again:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08705.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08706.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08707.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08708.jpg

Was worth every minute spent and every drop of sweat shed !
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08712.jpg

For that's the least you can do for a very tough and dear friend...
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2011, 00:44   #1142
Senior - BHPian

Hail General,

AK reporting sir. Wonderful write up as usual.
OT: A coincidence! We both had a batch reunion well, although this Lt. is not as old as the Gen., but had a batch meet of my Bachelors class and also met my prof. I was looking forward to write my experience with a Mercedes B class, but the admirals ride seems to be more interesting.

Fuel efficiency seems to be really good for such a huge machine and given the road/traffic conditions(i.e. uneven speeds) when compared against the 2 litre mercedes diesel in the B class which gave a 6.9L/100km, with an average speed of 120kmph and frequent top speed of the magic number 200kmph(electronically limited)! (Yes General you are reading it correctly the humble Bclass is quicker in the straights than the admiral(we can call it a destroyer class))

Tyre noise is quite inevitable and I guess, if there is less wind noise, tyre noise should not be worrying factor. One tip to reduce tyre noise, buy new rims and proportionate tyres with less deep treads.(highway tyres) I know, my suggestion to buy a new tyre will be dealt with seriously and might get my mess bill cut But it was just a tip. You didnt have any problems inside KA with MH plates?

Edit: General, what happened to admirals rear view chromed mirrors?

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 17th August 2011 at 00:47.
Old 17th August 2011, 08:33   #1143
Senior - BHPian

General,

You are completely neglecting the tyres sidewalls you should wash them with at least with washing powder and a scrubbing brush once in 2 weeks. I know you are not in cosmetic aspects of the general, but I think it will enhance admirals shoes, they are meant to be shining.
Old 17th August 2011, 09:01   #1144
Senior - BHPian

What a great return to form Herr' Generale'! A exquisite review of the capabilities of the Beast (raptor to me). Such high speeds were not even possible on my Corolla (170kmph) let alone the Qualis which lumbered to a max of 100-110, and people still want to compare it to the Innova. I have put in a comparo with the Innova on the Channel Falcon - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2470061 Your comments are welcome on that...
Old 17th August 2011, 09:25   #1145
Senior - BHPian

Arey O Sambar O!
Sorry could not resist that.
Was that some drive or what. 2K in 2Days it was a 2X2 drive by a 4X4.
I don't think any sort of road surface can ruffle the Admiral's feathers, he is one tough machine meant to take you anywhere and everywhere you desire.
The Fuel average seems to be great for the whole trip, including all the traffic you must have encountered. especially in Bangalore.
Glad to hear that the MMI worked splendidly, even though you did not need it.
It was a good testing ground for you since you knew the roads.
Did it take guide any wrong turns, or prefer the longer route? and then re-calculated when you took the shortcut?
That pic of the Scorpio was really disturbing, i certainly hope it was on it's way for repair. But don't you think it would have been better off towed to the workshop.
Much more damage could be headed it's way to the suspension etc by driving it this way.
The Toll booths on this route are always a pain. Dot and I experienced this on our way to Goa. and i follow Dot's advice of sticking to the right most lane always. It truly is the faster one 80% of the time.
And yes what happened to the chrome mirror? it certainly looks silver in the pics. did you remove the chrome casing?
Btw St Mark's Rd brings back some fond memories of days in Bangalore.
Old 17th August 2011, 12:52   #1146
BHPian

Superb travelogue, HG.

I agree with you, the NH4 is so much better on the KA side than on the MH side. On my recent trip to Mumbai, I also enjoyed pushing the car to speeds of 150-160 just after the MH-KA border. By the way, I too did a 900 km trip this weekend and enjoyed the drive more than anything (have the TL/pics on my thread). I took the car through moonspaced roads and buttery smooth expressways. Everything was the same for the Blue. Handled it all with aplomb. Gives me great confidence on the Blue's capabilities. Just like the experience you had with the Admiral.

Last edited by nileshch : 17th August 2011 at 13:01.
Old 17th August 2011, 22:35   #1147
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
they (the Toyota boffins) could find a way to fit in a kitchenette and a porta-loo inside. 'End to end' solution ?
And I almost had to clamp his mouth shut - lest someone hears him ! Why ? Just don't fancy cleaning all that 'crap' as a part of the Sunday morning routine ! Have my hands full as it were...
Infact this is not a bad idea, I have always maintained that it is easier and far cheaper to buy and stay in a SUV with a kitchen and a toilet than buy a doll- house apartment in Mumbai.
dot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2011, 23:56   #1148
BHPian

Herr general!
Nice pics there sir.
Must commend you on the 2k in 2days round trip! Nice feat.
Good to see that you enjoyed the drive along with the admiral.

Looking at the FE figures posted by you, wanted to ask you this - have you recorded the FE using the brim to brim method? I have my doubts over the MFD FE figures.

To relate to the above: I've just returned from a day's trip to Aurangabad - around 480kms done. Had fuelled up in the morning at the start of the journey.
To my delight I noticed an intial FE of 14.2 during a stretch of about 50kms in the morning. Then as the day/drive progressed the FE was hovering between 12 to 13.7

On the way back, just 50km before pune, fuelled up again.
After doing the math, the aggregate FE turned out to be 11.55.
Absolute Bonkers!

P.S. - is the Channel Sales head position still up for grabs?
Old 18th August 2011, 07:30   #1149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post

Looking at the FE figures posted by you, wanted to ask you this - have you recorded the FE using the brim to brim method? I have my doubts over the MFD FE figures.

To relate to the above: I've just returned from a day's trip to Aurangabad - around 480kms done. Had fuelled up in the morning at the start of the journey.
To my delight I noticed an intial FE of 14.2 during a stretch of about 50kms in the morning. Then as the day/drive progressed the FE was hovering between 12 to 13.7

On the way back, just 50km before pune, fuelled up again.
After doing the math, the aggregate FE turned out to be 11.55.
Absolute Bonkers!
I think after various trials, we have concluded on the TOGO channel that the admiral's MID is fairly accurate, with a variance of 0.3-0.5 Kmpl. Am I correct general ?
Old 18th August 2011, 10:06   #1150
Distinguished - BHPian

General,
Amazing to see all the Tender Love and care that the Admiral gets from you!
You certainly put in a lot of efforts to keep the admiral in battle-ready condition!
I must really compliment your stamina in having driven 2K kms in 2 days!
That is really a major feat and would be almost impossible here in North.. there are just too many bottlenecks and trucks on the highway. Maximum I can hope to cover is around 500kms in 12 hours of continuous driving!
Have you had the opportunity to take the Admiral out for some offroad / adventurous elements - have heard and read a lot from the Boot camps which Toyota organizes, but would love to hear the personal experiences from the General!

Drive safe!
Old 18th August 2011, 12:56   #1151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
I think after various trials, we have concluded on the TOGO channel that the admiral's MID is fairly accurate, with a variance of 0.3-0.5 Kmpl. Am I correct general ?
I guess I'll wait for the General's expert comments on this one..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Have you had the opportunity to take the Admiral out for some offroad / adventurous elements - have heard and read a lot from the Boot camps which Toyota organizes, but would love to hear the personal experiences from the General!
Hi Behemoth,
You may get the tips on the offroading experiences from us. The admiral has plans to do it next year.
Old 18th August 2011, 13:35   #1152
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Note from Mod : Please restrict the discussion on this thread to Guderian's Fortuner & its review only. Thanks
Old 18th August 2011, 16:30   #1153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Admiral is tough and so is your back.
Hi dot,
Thanks.
You bet it is ! I mean the Admiral being a toughie. And the good part was not feeling fatigued at the end of the day. Have done done this run quite a few times - earlier with the Scorpio. The Scorp run was good - but th TFort run was better thanks to the suspension and the engine !

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
1. Wonderful write up as usual.

2. Fuel efficiency seems to be really good for such a huge machine and given the road/traffic conditions(i.e. uneven speeds)
3. One tip to reduce tyre noise, buy new rims and proportionate tyres with less deep treads.
4. You didnt have any problems inside KA with MH plates?
5. General, what happened to admirals rear view chromed mirrors?
Calling AK. Come in AK.
1. Thanks a bunch.
2. Yes, even I was taken aback with the kind of FE returns. I was expecting it to drop to 7/8 KMPL after running Admiral at 140/150 KMPH steadily. Besides the varying speeds and traffic.
3. Well, the stock tyres stay. I have found a better solution for the tyre hum. Ear buds !
4. Never had number plate issues ever. Even if some cop wanted to - guess nobody bothers to stop a TFort ! Some side benefits of owning the Admiral.
5. Chrome + Muck = Burnished silver. Nothing really it was covered with muck.

Quote:
General,
You are completely neglecting the tyres sidewalls you should wash them with at least with washing powder and a scrubbing brush once in 2 weeks. I know you are not in cosmetic aspects of the general, but I think it will enhance admirals shoes, they are meant to be shining.
Hi F150,
Work, work, more work - is that all I am here for ?!!

Actually the GDW cleans/scrubs it every week. May be brush scrubbing may be in order. Point noted. May need to get the tyre foam as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
What a great return to form Herr' Generale'! A exquisite review of the capabilities of the Beast (raptor to me). Such high speeds were not even possible on my Corolla (170kmph) let alone the Qualis which lumbered to a max of 100-110, and people still want to compare it to the Innova.
Hi dkaile,
Many thanks for the comments.
As mentioned earlier the not just the high speed but also the fact that one doesn't realise that one is travelling at such high speed.
And about the Innova comparision - I thought people were only comparing the Innova & TFort interiors. Well I read some comments on TFort being an Innova on stilts etc. But of course on reading those observations I did wonder as to how such conclusions were arrived at - but then since I've never had a Innova experience couldn't really comment !

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
1. I don't think any sort of road surface can ruffle the Admiral's feathers, he is one tough machine meant to take you anywhere and everywhere you desire.
2. The Fuel average seems to be great for the whole trip, including all the traffic you must have encountered. especially in Bangalore.
3. Did it take guide any wrong turns, or prefer the longer route? and then re-calculated when you took the shortcut?
4. And yes what happened to the chrome mirror? it certainly looks silver in the pics. did you remove the chrome casing?
Hi mdsaab,
1. You bet !
2. That was the discovery of my trip. Next long drive shall test out the max FE figures by driving at 70-90 KMPH.
3. No wrong turns as such. But routes are predetermined sometimes longer ones and then recalculating a fresh route when you take an alternative route.
4. The mirror casing is the same. But as mentioned earlier chrome + muck = family silver !
Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
Superb travelogue, HG.
Thanks nileshch. Also felt that Admiral enjoys the tar surfaced roads more than concrete roads. Tar feels much more smoother and doesn't push back shocks to the vehicle but instead absorbs it unlike concrete.

Quote:
Herr general!
1. Nice pics there sir.
Must commend you on the 2k in 2days round trip! Nice feat.

2. Looking at the FE figures posted by you, wanted to ask you this - have you recorded the FE using the brim to brim method? I have my doubts over the MFD FE figures.
Hi Monaro,
1. Thanks.

2. FE was recorded only by tankfull to tankfull method. The MID overqoutes the reading by a range.

Quote:
Hi F150,
The difference in reading has ranged from perfect match to 0.55 KMPL with the MID always showing a better reading.
However now it has settled to .20/.30 KMPL which is fairly accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
General,
Amazing to see all the Tender Love and care that the Admiral gets from you!
You certainly put in a lot of efforts to keep the admiral in battle-ready condition!
I must really compliment your stamina in having driven 2K kms in 2 days!
Hi Behemoth,
Many thanks.
The TLC investment gives me a lot of returns as well as mentioned earlier. Especially in heading off some issues with the vehicle. So overall well worht the time and energy.

Quote:
I guess I'll wait for the General's expert comments on this.
Hi Monaro,
As clarified above.
Do let me know should you need further information.
Guderian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2011, 16:30   #1154
Senior - BHPian

Hi HG,

Thats one mad trip that you and the Admiral underwent! Admiration to both! Even with the long drive, Admiral looks relatively clean, so to speak. Your efforts in maintaining the car remain unmatched, with all the nit picks you carry.

OT: We were on the GQ at almost the same time on the day you went to Bangy. Surprised that I was unable to spot the Admiral!
Old 18th August 2011, 21:40   #1155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Hi HG,

1. Thats one mad trip that you and the Admiral underwent! Admiration to both! Even with the long drive, Admiral looks relatively clean, so to speak. Your efforts in maintaining the car remain unmatched, with all the nit picks you carry.

2. We were on the GQ at almost the same time on the day you went to Bangy. Surprised that I was unable to spot the Admiral!
Hi SI,
1. Many thanks for the comments. Admiral was looking truly 'Manly' with all the mud and muck on him - number plate was hardly visible. Could have been hauled up by the highway cops - but wasn't thankfully.

2. Whooshed past in the blink of an eye perhaps ? Would have been around Pune at about 6.45 am.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks