Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2011, 22:34   #1081
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian
Hi mdsaab
Thanks for all the info !
A couple of questions for you - from the user perspective:
1. Since you already have a device from MMI - how sturdy are they ? Meaning I trust they can stand abuse. I presume if it is left in the vehicle in the hot sun etc - it wouldn't have any deleterious effects.

2. How good is the battery ? I notice in the 140s the life is only 2 hours.
No issues leaving it continuously connected to the car bat - right ? No overcharging issue reducung the life of the battery ? Or do you have to disconnect the power source once the charging light changes from red to green ?
The devices are pretty sturdy.
But i dont advise you to leave it unattended in the vehicle.
1. It may get too hot for the device in there.
2. Prying eyes of thieves

The battery life of my Delphi is around 3 hours.
I leave it plugged into the car changer during the drive. On arrival i unplug the device and keep it in the cubby in front of the gear selector.
The charger too goes in there.
I leave the bracket on at all times. It's a pain removing and re-fitting especially once you got the precise position you want it in.

I do not think there will be any overcharging issuebut do use the device on battery only mode too. And then plug it in when the battery has about 1/4th left.
That way the battery keeps going through its charge cycle too.
When we went to Goa last i had first used it on battery power only. And once the battery was getting weak i plugged it in. It fully charged up, you could see the charging bolt. And then once fully.charged it showed full battery status without the charging bolt.

Also did yours come with a wall charger too.
Mine did and i find it rather useful to have around.
Sometimes you want to use the device while walking and so you can charge it up at home before you leave.

Also there is an update to premium content available. I think its a one time 2k investment. After which you get access to 3D maps and some more added features.
~~~
Congratulations on the big 1~0~0!
since this is increment season, i think its the right time to speak about my raise then. LOL!
Old 6th August 2011, 00:01   #1082
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Hi Guderian,

Tuning into the Togo channel after long time.

So you got the Navi on your Fortuner. I don't have personal experience using these gadgets but I have seen them functioning in a relative's Endeavour, pretty useful IMO.

Just a piece of advice from my side is that please use some sort of sun shades for windshield and side windows so as to protect the gadget from direct sunlight and thieves as mentioned by mdsaab.

PS - Congratulations on completing 1000 posts and 100000 views of Togo Channel.
Old 6th August 2011, 12:29   #1083
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Hi Guderian,
Just noticed that TOGO channel has crossed 100,000 views. Amazing popularity - all due to your literary genius! Keep up the witty updates on your battleship General!
Hi Behemoth,
1. Firstly welcome to Togo channel. I believe this would be your first post here though I heard you mention on another thread that you have been here for sometime ! Thanks a lot for being here and look forward to your views on all matters.

2. You have been lavish in your praise which I am sure doesn't belong to me. It belongs to all contributors who keep the thread buzzing - which then draws folks here ! Frankly have learnt a lot from many of the contributions ! Thank you for the kind words indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
1. The devices are pretty sturdy.
~~~
2. Congratulations on the big 1~0~0!
since this is increment season, i think its the right time to speak about my raise then. LOL!
Hi mdsaab,
1. Many thanks for the great information. Shall follow the tips - remove unit and place in a secure place in the vehicle, remove charger etc.
Also - yes the unit I have comes with a wall charger too.

2. Many thanks ! But you Directors are responsible for the company's/channel's performance as well as the rest of the contributors too. So the achivement rightly belongs to all of you.
About the raise - the cheque is in the mail. The figure raised so much that the cheque is going to bounce up pretty high too !

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post

1. Tuning into the Togo channel after long time.

2. Just a piece of advice from my side is that please use some sort of sun shades for windshield and side windows so as to protect the gadget from direct sunlight and thieves as mentioned by mdsaab.

3. PS - Congratulations on completing 1000 posts and 100000 views of Togo Channel.
Hi bluevolt,
1. Welcome back. Leave of absence granted.

2. Thanks for the tip. I think initially I'll keep the piece tucked away after a journey in a shady cubby hole. If it becomes a pain of a chore to remove it every now and then then will get some kind of shades as suggested by you.

3. Many thanks. Credit is rightly due to all contributors !

And on to other stuff.

Bunkered the Admiral this morning. The FE - thanks to all the ills of the roads and monsoon etc-is at 10.91 KMPL (MID - 11.3). Great figures for the terrible traffic conditions, me thinks. But a nosedive from the glorious 12-12.5 KMPL days.

And while at the bunker saw this hoarding:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08480.jpg

Not sure about others but I am going to drink a gallon of it every now and then to feel young.
Admiral anyway is allergic to Hi Speed diesel !

Last edited by Guderian : 6th August 2011 at 12:36.
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2011, 09:06   #1084
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Not sure about others but I am going to drink a gallon of it every now and then to feel young.
Just make sure that you dont use a mobile phone after that.

TOGO channel has been a massive revelation for me for all sorts of reasons. I hope it continues on and on, not just three tankfuls.
Old 7th August 2011, 16:39   #1085
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
1. Just make sure that you dont use a mobile phone after that.

2. TOGO channel has been a massive revelation for me for all sorts of reasons. I hope it continues on and on, not just three tankfuls.
1. Haw haw !

2. Revelation/s from the channel ? I have been learning each day from Admiral something or the other. Mainly about differences, approach to things, how things need to be done...what not ! Even today - of course being a Sunday and hours of close proximity.
Old 7th August 2011, 18:01   #1086
Senior - BHPian

Sunday Morning, up with the Lark...
...I think I'll take a walk in the park...

Or so the lyrics of Beautiful Sunday goes. Yes it was a beautiful Sunday indeed and there was a guttural lark also somewhere around. But the similarities ended there as I didn't take a walk in the park but proceeded for some back breaking work.

For a couple of Sundays or more I hadn't touched the engine bay and it was begining to look like a dusty, grimy, dustbowl of an American town somewhere in Arizona and was half expecting Django to crawl out from under somwehere. And with a longish trip in the coming weekend, with some friends, I knew it had to be today. And so it was. And cleaning up the engine bay today was a real tough act. Thanks to mud, muck and something that the monsoons throw up. So painfully, inch by inch, lost ground was reclaimed with a lot of loss of sweat and material.

Now, now, Admiral - settle down in the chair, open your mouth and say AHHH...
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08482.jpg

Now lift your tail and don't say AHHH...
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08484.jpg

Of course all hands were on deck for the battle today - though this was not the full complement:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08496.jpg

Opening the bonnet saw a tiny mark on the left bulkhead near the battery bay:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08489.jpg

Knew that this was the bonnet tapping against the bulkhead. If left unattended could leave a permanent mark and after a few months rusting and what not.
So adjusted this damper on the front rim that keeps the bonnet firm:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08490.jpg

And this - just under the bonnet:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08493.jpg

Had to lift and shut the bonnet a million times till I got the adjustment just right. And what a din it created opening, clanging it shut etc. Any guy or gal in the colony who thought he or she could have a liesurely Sunday morning beauty sleep was sadly mistaken. There could be a written complaint on its way to the Secretary and an AGM of the society being organised soon.

To my annoyance and dismay a minor scratch had cropped up on the Admiral's uniform during the course of the week. Rear left passenger door near the window. Was feeling uncomfortable through out the week. Must have been thanks to GDW's nail or washing cloth with tiny particulate matter - GDW was soundly berated. He took it gamely. But it could have been just as well due to the joys and sorrows of being in a crowded city like Mumbai. Anyway it looked like:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08497.jpg

Out came the F1 Scratch Out. Out came F1 polish. After which the Admiral's uniform was all resplendent again:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08498.jpg

And just after all the spit and polish - the heavens opened up. Such is life !
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08500.jpg

Adjusted the Navigator holder a little better to keep it below the line of vision of the bonnet. Feels a little better now:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc085041.jpg

Hey ! Where's the Navigator ?
Listen didn't mdsaab tell me to keep it away ? And so it was.

And after a quick wash n bite it was time to run out for some errands - and all the clean up act/s came further to naught.

Also remembered that Admiral was close to completing 6 months and required to get his first PUC certificate post taking delivery. And with a long out of state trip round the corner didn't want to take a chance and come back and do it.
So it was another occasion to remember. Almost like your little baby's first BCG/triple antigen shot !

Now here was something that I picked up. While taking delivery of the vehicle you need to ensure that the dealer gives you the manufacturer's PUC certificate with dates etc duly filled up and this is valid for 6 months from the date of registration of the vehicle. Now whether it was 3/6/whatever etc months of validity was big confusion at the dealers when I asked specifically - because when I picked up the LoH's K10 Alto last October the Maruti guys swore it was 3 months - which then I checked and found it wasn't - it's 6 months.
And on the Scorp 6 years ago - I didn't get any such certificate from the dealer or he pulled a fast on me !

Anyway so it was indeed Admiral's first PUC certificate. I have been always going to this particular chap in the BPCL 'Pure for Sure' outlet in Thane for years. For the simple reason that he politely refused to give me certificate couple of times for the Zen years ago as the readings were beyond acceptable levels. Impressed me. Had to go to the MASS adjust the carb and come back. No problems with the Scorp and on every visit he explains the readings etc. And it is the same guy (!) all these years.
So it was today.

Admiral all hooked to the ECG Machine:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08505.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08507.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08509.jpg

Admiral much to his annoyance and indignant spluttering gets an enema !
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08508.jpg

The Man, Raja from TN (fancies himself to be a sort of Rajni-saar of pollution control), in action:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08510.jpg

The results, he mentioned, were good !
Name:  DSC08514.JPG
Views: 883
Size:  146.8 KB

And the readings: (Would request comments from people in the know here - please ! Are they OK ? Any pointers ?)
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08516.jpg

And for his sterling performance during the warlike situation on Mumbai roads over the last few weeks, the Admiral was awarded a 'Metallic' liquid of honour on our way back. Picked up finally from my FNAM. I had asked him to get it ASAP (based on Manuuj's advice) and he procured a few bottles weeks ago. But got tired of reminding me on the phone that it was with him.
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08512.jpg

And on return I knew Admiral's engine was very eco friendly. For friendly neighbourhood wildlife paid him a visit congratulating him on the first ever PUC certificate !
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08520.jpg

And now you know why despite it being a beautiful Sunday, despite I having been up with a lark...didn't go for a walk in the park !

Last edited by Guderian : 7th August 2011 at 18:08.
Guderian is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th August 2011, 21:55   #1087
Senior - BHPian

A Fabulous read as always!
In Bold.
Quote:
Now, now, Admiral - settle down in the chair, open your mouth and say AHHH...
Guderian's new nick "The Dentist" ?

Now lift your tail and don't say AHHH...
LOL!

Of course all hands were on deck for the battle today - though this was not the full complement:
You are definately well prepared.

Had to lift and shut the bonnet a million times till I got the adjustment just right. And what a din it created opening, clanging it shut etc. Any guy or gal in the colony who thought he or she could have a liesurely Sunday morning beauty sleep was sadly mistaken. There could be a written complaint on its way to the Secretary and an AGM of the society being organised soon.
This part is really hard to get right. I can imagine you having to open and shut it a zillion times.

Out came the F1 Scratch Out. Out came F1 polish. After which the Admiral's uniform was all resplendent again:
Fantastic! I shall pick one up for Chicca.

Adjusted the Navigator holder a little better to keep it below the line of vision of the bonnet. Feels a little better now:
I too like it as low as it can go.

Hey ! Where's the Navigator ?
Listen didn't mdsaab tell me to keep it away ? And so it was.
It's uptight and Outta Sight! So which cubby did you choose?

Also remembered that Admiral was close to completing 6 months and required to get his first PUC certificate post taking delivery. And with a long out of state trip round the corner didn't want to take a chance and come back and do it.
So it was another occasion to remember. Almost like your little baby's first BCG/triple antigen shot !
Now that you mention it, special feeling that.
Now here was something that I picked up. While taking delivery of the vehicle you need to ensure that the dealer gives you the manufacturer's PUC certificate with dates etc duly filled up and this is valid for 6 months from the date of registration of the vehicle. Now whether it was 3/6/whatever etc months of validity was big confusion at the dealers when I asked specifically - because when I picked up the LoH's K10 Alto last October the Maruti guys swore it was 3 months - which then I checked and found it wasn't - it's 6 months.
And on the Scorp 6 years ago - I didn't get any such certificate from the dealer or he pulled a fast on me !
AFAIK every new vehicle comes with a factory approved PUC which is valid for 6 months. After which you need to renew it on your own. Earlier on i use to thing it was valid for a year.
Old 7th August 2011, 23:38   #1088
BHPian

Awesome! Amazing flair you have, transforming mundane tasks like getting a PUC certificate into a mission story!
nileshch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2011, 00:04   #1089
Senior - BHPian

Heil General!

AK reporting sir! Dont courtmartial me for nitpiking the admiral. But his Fog lamps are dirty and by military standards its unacceptable! I understand you are busy man but I believe you know that Admiral is protected by influencial friends in TBHP.

OT: (1) I loved your last macro shot.
(2) If that PUC guy was rajnikanth, why would he plugin a detector,simply he will simply lift ur vehicle in one hand rotate its wheels to infinite speed and inhale the engine fumes to tell that your car is eco-friendly. Hope he doesnt turns out to be A. Raja and scams your vehicle's G's
Ok I am not being political here!Just a sarcastic comment though I am from the same state being discussed about!
Old 8th August 2011, 11:53   #1090
BHPian

Hello Guderian,

Had a very amused time on Togo channel,just now.

The remarkable new instrument from MMI-being a path-breaking pathfinder,it will definitely assist the Admiral in traversing the battle field more effectively, and venturing out to new fields- but in my honest opinion-on his dash,it looks as out of place as a pair of Nikes along with his crisp uniform,pardon!! The unit appears to even block the Lord Vighneshwar from reaching you with blessings-no offence meant. What I mistook for the Admiral's cross belt was actually the wire of the unit running down across the MID.

While of great functionality and utility, the unit has spoiled the homogeneous appearance of the dash-an in dash unit would have been much better-either Caska or one of the the newly available MMI units.

Hilarious account of the repair-the scratch repair isc a revelation to me-my methods appear quite primitive in comparison.

You do have a way with words,Mate-a daily dose of Togo channel is all I require for rejuvenation,I am sure.You may gulp down the speed by gallons- but my youth will be preserved intact by just going though your wonderful accounts of everyday events in an impossible, hologram protected, writing style.

Congrats for crossing 1000 posts and 100000 visits.

Regarding MMI,just an frank opinion,no offence,please.
Old 8th August 2011, 15:50   #1091
BHPian

Its so refreshing to come and read this thread. Wonderful writing style. The P G Wodehouse of Team Bhp?
I'm following your writing style closely so that I can steal.... errm... i mean... be inspired when I write my posts.
Old 9th August 2011, 12:21   #1092
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
A Fabulous read as always!
Hi mdsaab,
Many thanks.
You are absolutely right the manufacturers certificate is valid for 6 months.

The issue is that the dealer is least bit bothered about letting you know such facts and ensuring that the certificate is filled up etc. Even if the chap gives it to you he wrongly informs you that it is valid for three months etc. The certificate/sticker doesn't have the period of validity and so on. Some dealers don't give it to you at all.

This kind of a cavalier attitude amongst the dealers on most of the matters bugs me no end. As mentioned earlier even for the post purchase NCB claim I had to find out the process etc and educate the dealer's sales guy !

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
Awesome! Amazing flair you have, transforming mundane tasks like getting a PUC certificate into a mission story!
Hi Nilesh,
Thank you sir. And welcome back...here after a long time I see ?

And for me any task connected with any of my vehicles (current or past) is/has been a celebratory event. Even PUC readings and output tells me the story of the engine and its state of health - of course generally interpreted by the PUC man or some friend.
Something like an annual health check up report of an 90 year old man.

Incidentally - have had no inputs on the Q asked about the readings on the PUC slip from the viewers of Togo Channel. Can someone check and let me know ? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
1. But his Fog lamps are dirty and by military standards its unacceptable!

2.I understand you are busy man but I believe you know that Admiral is protected by influencial friends in TBHP.
Come in AlphaKilo...
Thanks a lot.

1. To clarify - the snap was taken when the cleaning process was halfway through ! Assure you that the old boy's small eyes were thoroughly cleaned !

2. Fantastic and most gratifying to hear that. Muchos gracias.

Over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
Had a very amused time on Togo channel,just now.
Hi charthom,
1. Many thanks for all the kind words.

2. Thanks for the feedback about the positioning of the Navi. On Sunday had changed the position - now the Navi and wires don't block anything and the view is much better - as it is below the bonnet line and a little closer to the driver.

3. Earlier I thought that an integrated Navigator as in the Endeavour was great - had test driven a Endy a few months before Admiral came into my life - but then I changed my opinion when I saw those beefy brawny expedition vehicles with hundred add ons. And they looked real rad ! And so the Navi add on to the dash to my eye adds some real elan to the Admiral. An integrated one would have been ho-hum yawn...
Was thinking about it as I drove in to work this morning too.

4. You don't have to be apologetic on Togo Channel. Ever ! All views are welcome. And more the contrarian views better it is I guess. So parry on my friend...

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitg79 View Post
Its so refreshing to come and read this thread. Wonderful writing style. The P G Wodehouse of Team Bhp?
I'm following your writing style closely so that I can steal.... errm... i mean... be inspired when I write my posts.
Hi Amit,
Now, now...I am sure things aren't that bad that you have to plagiarise the cranial outpourings of a Bertie Wooster !
Thank you for your comments.
Believe me when I tell you that it is a wonderful pleasure for me to be reading all the posts from the contributors to the Togo Channel which are full of information, tips and general ideas - much more refreshing and invigorating than a visit to a high end spa !

And...
Yo Folks - rubbing my hands with glee and waiting keenly for the long weekend - for a long, long drive. If all goes well should be making a dash with a couple of undergrad college mates, all of us in bachelors' state, to Bangalore for a day. A batch reunion it is !
And Admiral too is keenly awaiting this run.

Ohh... to have the turbo howling on the rain splattered highways again !

Last edited by Guderian : 9th August 2011 at 12:30.
Old 9th August 2011, 15:46   #1093
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Nilesh,
Thank you sir. And welcome back...here after a long time I see ?
Yessar. After a long time. Being busy after the arrival of my car!

Quote:
And for me any task connected with any of my vehicles (current or past) is/has been a celebratory event. Even PUC readings and output tells me the story of the engine and its state of health - of course generally interpreted by the PUC man or some friend.
Something like an annual health check up report of an 90 year old man.
That's very well put. I have a lot to learn! Now with the new car, I have become more attentively towards these tiny details, thanks to TBHP and the Togo channel!

Quote:
And...
Yo Folks - rubbing my hands with glee and waiting keenly for the long weekend - for a long, long drive. If all goes well should be making a dash with a couple of undergrad college mates, all of us in bachelors' state, to Bangalore for a day. A batch reunion it is !
And Admiral too is keenly awaiting this run.

Ohh... to have the turbo howling on the rain splattered highways again !
Awesome, you are coming to Bangalore on a weekend? Great! Check the Mumbai-Bangalore road conditions here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...adtrip-58.html. Should be useful. Don't need to say anything else. It's your hometown, after all!

Last edited by nileshch : 9th August 2011 at 15:52.
Old 9th August 2011, 16:25   #1094
Distinguished - BHPian

TOGO channel never ceases to amaze

I have been pondering over this question since long, what exactly do they 'read' from the battery terminals during the PUC test? I don't see them doing this for bikes, only for cars.
Old 9th August 2011, 17:48   #1095
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
1. Yessar. After a long time. Being busy after the arrival of my car!

2. That's very well put. I have a lot to learn! Now with the new car, I have become more attentively towards these tiny details, thanks to TBHP and the Togo channel!

3. Don't need to say anything else. It's your hometown, after all!
Hi nileshch,
Thanks !

1. Congratulations on the new arrival. A beautiful blue Vento Higline I believe ? Looks good in your gallery. Glad that you are enjoying it to the fullest. And those mileages/FE(18KMPL) you have quoted are great.

2. Believe me - it's great fun knowing your vehicle intimately. Every little bit including the engine bay. And not just the cabin and its cleanliness !
Dirty your hands and you'll enjoy it immensely.

3. Thanks for the link and your neat report. Nice to know the latest road conditions - very helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post

1. TOGO channel never ceases to amaze

2. I have been pondering over this question since long, what exactly do they 'read' from the battery terminals during the PUC test? I don't see them doing this for bikes, only for cars.
Hi Dry Ice,
1. Same here !

2. Shall try and explain from little what I understand:
- I think from the battery terminals the hand device and the base device reads the RPM of the engine. This interpreted from the units of charge output - a link up with alternator speed.
This is required because the diesel engine PUC reading is noted by what is called free acceleration method to check smoke density. Meaning the reading is taken when accelerator is fully pressed. The RPM is recorded. Five reading have to be noted. And the smoke density is sampled by the tube shoved into the tail pipe (enema as I call it !). The density is measured in what is called Hartridge units. As I understand per the norms - the units should be less than 50 HSUs. In the Admiral's case from the certificate it reads 03 units.
Now what I am not clear about is the RPM reading and the 'K' values and its correlation etc etc and the general health of the engine therefore !
And that is why I was seeking help here to understand.....
Koi hai ?

And each time Raja (the PUC Rajni-saar) floored Admiral's accelerator - I had a heart attack ! Never dared to treat him that a way. But I got this spooky feeling that Admiral enjoyed the bursts of RPM.

Last edited by Guderian : 9th August 2011 at 17:57.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks