Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2011, 17:52   #1066
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
mdsaab
(brand ambassador ~ TOGO Channel on Team-BHP)
Now that is a cool signature. How much is the General paying you for this? On Second thoughts considering the immense popularity of the TOGO channel you might have to pay him.
Old 4th August 2011, 17:58   #1067
BHPian

Quote:
Great observation charthom buddy.
and Kudos to Guderian sire for maintaining one of the best threads on Team-BHP.
Do keep visiting TOGO channel ~ you will learn a lot, laugh a lot, and ofcourse provide your valuable inputs too.
Or sometimes just sit back and relax while Guderian takes you on an inside journey to parts of the T-Fort you have never seen before.
hmmm... probably many parts we have not seen on our own cars either.
Yours truly
mdsaab
Thanks for the induction, mdsaab- You are now the spokesperson for Noopster,Brand ambassador for Togo channel-interested in any more assignments? How about at least a short tenure on Skeptic Charthom's Humble thread on the Lovable ANHC?

BTW,me too use the iTrip- onboard the ship. Instead of carrying CDs I carry my iPod and iTrip and play my music on the stereo's FM radio. Very good peformance indeed!!
Old 4th August 2011, 18:11   #1068
BHPian

Quote:
Your look ma no feet reminded me of something.
That i actually have been to a light boot camp before.
It was when the endeavour was launched and i was invited to do a test drive in the nearby bills around Pune.
Had a blast.
There was a trained instructor who guided me extremely well.
This was my first ever off road excursion.
And i remember doing to 40 degree slopes with no feet while going up or down.
That was a true thrill.
And while ascending you could only see the sky and nothing else.
Aah. I am smiling now.
Hey !
now you can relate to what its like - ascending that steep incline, very narrow, cant see the road surface or the road sides. The risk of toppling over lurks over your head and you make it through, breathe a sigh of relief - phew. Now comes the other difficult part - descending the steep slope, but that's another story.
haa haa..good!

BTW, have you been keeping a watch on the Pune Breakfast meet happening this saturday ?
You should come md.
Old 4th August 2011, 18:21   #1069
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
Thanks for the induction, mdsaab- You are now the spokesperson for Noopster,Brand ambassador for Togo channel-interested in any more assignments? How about at least a short tenure on Skeptic Charthom's Humble thread on the Lovable ANHC?

BTW,me too use the iTrip- onboard the ship. Instead of carrying CDs I carry my iPod and iTrip and play my music on the stereo's FM radio. Very good peformance indeed!!
i am on the key contributors list for Charthom's lovable thread.
please check the tyre gauges pics uploaded.
You I-trippin too eh. nifty little thing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Now that is a cool signature. How much is the General paying you for this? On Second thoughts considering the immense popularity of the TOGO channel you might have to pay him.
LOL! i pay him some ~ he pays me some ~ we balance it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
Hey !
now you can relate to what its like - ascending that steep incline, very narrow, cant see the road surface or the road sides. The risk of toppling over lurks over your head and you make it through, breathe a sigh of relief - phew. Now comes the other difficult part - descending the steep slope, but that's another story.
haa haa..good!

BTW, have you been keeping a watch on the Pune Breakfast meet happening this saturday ?
You should come md.
I can totally relate to it.
I have been keeping a watch, and received a couple of PM's too about the meet. I am most probably out of Pune tommorow. and will be back in a week. If that does not happen then YES i will be there, so watch out!
mdsaab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2011, 18:39   #1070
BHPian

Quote:
i am on the key contributors list for Charthom's lovable thread.
Of course-you are one of the most welcome guests over there. And a more significant contributor than myself.

Quote:
please check the tyre gauges pics uploaded.
Already checked out.Lovely ones.Thank you.

Quote:
You I-trippin too eh. nifty little thing that.
Vigorously until a couple of years back. My junior engineer left back my iPod with 8500 songs from all conceivable genres in the flight while returning home,then.

I have not recovered yet. I still carry the i Trip-but use only occasionally.

And the car needs it no more.
Old 5th August 2011, 10:39   #1071
Senior - BHPian

Hi Folks,
Have been in and out on this thread and been on other threads besides attempting to work, which my boss hates - as he believes I am less of a damage when not working. Besides+ it has been the increment season and I have to pretend to work too !

What gladdened my heart the most was the fact this thread was/is ticking away merrily and gloriously too in great spirit, better too (?) without me. Time for me to leave it all to the Directors on the Board of this thread and just pop in for the AGM as an investor !

Quote:
We were in Mumbai yesterday on some work.
mdsaab, You dare get into Mumbai and not even keep the GHQ informed of the same ? Highly irregular and utterly preposterous.
But anyway I am glad you experienced what Admiral goes through everyday and what is getting worse since last two days of further rains ! Taking me about 2.5 hours to do 35 KMs back home in the evening. Every bit of the vehicle is strained - suspensions, engine.....! FE has nose dived to 10.82 KMPL
And am I glad to be in the TFort.
And to add to the merriment there are massive jams due to police 'nakabandis' at spots where there are no potholes.
I have only one Q for the Mumbai Police - why don't they shift the n'bandis where there are potholes ? That way they wouldn't have to place barricades and police vehicles etc !

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Agree with amit, where is the main perpetrator of the channel?
Hi dot, Present saar !

Togo Channel is buzzing - with or without the thread starter and boy am I glad it is so. Warms the cockles of me heart, sire !
Have a great trip and stay in the US - which part ?

Quote:
HG let me try and answer this your way:
2. Why do you say so? I participated in the camp with my Truck just over 3750 km on the OD - its an April 2011 Purchase. I asked the Toyota guys there about my new Truck and they said its absolutely no problem to muscle out the machine.
4. Actually have been too lazy But am thinking of starting one soon, specially since GTO & you have insisted.
Hi Monaro,
Read the thread on the camp end to end - nice ! Thanks for a sexy snaps here ! To see the TFort in such environs really sends the pulse racing.

2. Now I love doing this after about 25K KMs typically - as you know the vehicle and its behaviours well and it becomes an extension of your body ! When it's new - you wouldn't want to try anything funny...errr...something like marriage, if one may say so. So next year it is for me.

4. Don't keep us waiting too long !

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
How can I forget, this is keeping me awake every moment. The hunt is still on, unfortunately. And it is so god damn hot here. Effective temp is over 40C
Hi dot,
Now let me think - it's hot (you could fry an egg on the sidewalk as they say in good ol' states) and you are hunting for something and it is keeping you awake. Now what am I missing here ? Or is it what I am thinking ? You are hunting for a ride ?

Quote:
Yes indeed.
Great learning ! Let's do it sometime ourselves Monaro. There are a couple of Tfort owners I am hustling in Mumbai too...your experience and learning would come in handy on one of the trails.

Quote:
Aah. I am smiling now.
Hi mdsaab,
So do I (smile) after I complete every run to and from office - everyday ! Yesterday Admiral went almost 2 feet into a water filled crater at Chembur albeit at slow speed. Any other vehicle would have come out misaligned. But not the grizzled ol' toughie.
Hate to keep mentioning it ad nauseum - but Mumbai's roads are ctrl c+ ctrl v from Moon's surface. Cut paste - but done in a hurry !

Quote:
1. I had read your hilarious accounts long back-but had forgotten to comment-partially out of ignorance,being a Newbie-then.

2. Just now, when I saw that your thread is going to touch a lakh in no.of visitors,I realized I had not visited you again and extended my words of appreciation- not that they matter much.

3. Congrats for attracting so much of traffic-which illustrates the quality of your thread. I wish you all the well.
Hi charthom,

1. Welcome to the thread ! And thanks for dropping by. I know my other Directors have completed your induction programme here - but from my side a great pleasure to have you with us. Though you didn't come earlier all I can say is - you didn't join us as a Management Trainee but came in as a senior lateral hire !

2. To me it matters a lot.

3. Thanks - hoping to seeing you around frequently.

Be around and have fun and hoping to learn from your contributions as well.

Quote:
Great observation charthom buddy.
and Kudos to Guderian sire for maintaining one of the best threads on Team-BHP.
Do keep visiting TOGO channel ~ you will learn a lot, laugh a lot, and ofcourse provide your valuable inputs too.
Or sometimes just sit back and relax while Guderian takes you on an inside journey to parts of the T-Fort you have never seen before.
hmmm... probably many parts we have not seen on our own cars either.
Yours truly
mdsaab
Hi mdsaab,
Thanks a million ! Yes this thread has truly moved beyond me which I find very gratifying. And 70 odd pages ago I never knew that it would be a tome this thick !

Quote:
Now that is a cool signature. How much is the General paying you for this? On Second thoughts considering the immensepopularity of the TOGO channel you might have to pay him.
Hi Amit,
Didn't we discuss your terms and conditions as well ?!!
Thanks for increasing the reach and power of the Togo Channel.

Quote:
Hi Charthom,
You are trying to headhunt my Director away from this channel ? Just not done old chap. May have to force mdsaab to sell off his golden babe City and get him to buy the TFort !

But yes such cross references between vehicles etc really does improve one's auto knowledge vastly and I have no one and nothing to thank except this wonderful forum - T BHP !

Last edited by Guderian : 5th August 2011 at 10:51.
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2011, 11:30   #1072
Senior - BHPian

And the Admiral gets a new Radar/Eye in the Sky !

Something fell from the skies yesterday:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08479.jpg

Thanks mdsaab - you put me on its trail. I got the MMI Vx 140s directly from the company - delieverd in the office, through the good offices of a friend and MMI's Consultant - also a member here (under the threat of death can't reveal his identity - please !) and at a decent discount !

I am not in the process of carrying out a ownership review of the device here - as that can be done on the gadgets thread.

But would like to only share through pics the manner of its installation on the Admiral. And to seek comments as to whether there is a better way or more ergonmically superior postion.

Early this morning, after due thought, the suction thingamajig was placed on the windscreen and fastened:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08464.jpg

From the driver's position it looks like:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08468.jpg

The side views to show the holding contraption:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08465.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08466.jpg

I first thought of placing the suction fastner on the dash and position the holder in a giraffe's neck curve. But then since the dash surface is not very smooth the suction cup would loose its partial vacuum duly and it may suddenly drop down one day like a giraffe with a bullet in its heart.

Next was to place it on the A pillar. But it reduced the visibility - though I thought it was good otherwise. But ergonomically too it was a disaster as I had to take my eye/s away from the windscreen.

So this was the closest I could come to the heads up display system of a pilot's helmet.
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08469.jpg

Is the positioning any good ?

Incidentally this is my first experience with a GPS device or navigator or whatever !

And somehow I feel that I may now have better chance/s of getting lost, every now and then - as now I'll have to replace my 'Grameen' system thanks to the ego and payment made.

Last edited by Guderian : 5th August 2011 at 11:54.
Old 5th August 2011, 12:01   #1073
Senior - BHPian

Guderian sire.
LOL! the nakabandi should be moved to the craters of moonbai.
That would definately help as there would be no barricades which would itself improve the flow of traffic. and we would have to slow down anyways looking at the size of them craters, no one will risk their suspension on these sort of craters.

And so you took the plunge, a wonderful addition to the T-Fort.
and it comes with bluetooth too which is an added bonus.
though i have bluetooth on my PND too, i never use it. You know my policy of talking on the phone bluetooth or otherwise while driving and hence refrain.

The positioning of the device is spot on. and is pretty much the exact location where i place the PND in Chicca. Placing it on the A pillar is not a good idea as it may reduce visibility in sharp turns. also comparatively your eyes will be off the road more than your current position. this position works pretty much like a HUD as you mentioned.

Your GPS does not have a full signal and hence it shows you on the side of the road and not on it.
But don't be surprised if you are shown on the side of the road at times even while having a full signal. This happens once in a while as the maps are not 100% accurate and India's maps are not fully digitized too.

in my MMI PND you can click on the lower bar near the time or any clear spot on the bar. and it will take you to the next page which will show you a speedo which will read out your current speed when on the move.
Click the bar once again and you will be taken to the page where you can read you co-ordinates as well as see how many satellites you are locked into. A total of 12 being available in my device. This also determines the quality of your lock on position.
Also a nice summary of the satellites are provided on the right.
Which shows satellites in use and satellites in view.
This should be available in your device as well being from MMI too.
Attaching screen shots of the next two pages for you.

Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-img2011080500230.jpg
Screen 2
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-img2011080500231.jpg
Screen 3

Please note picture clicked indoors and hence no satellite bars present.

Last edited by mdsaab : 5th August 2011 at 12:08.
Old 5th August 2011, 12:05   #1074
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post

1. I got the MMI Vx 140s directly from the company - delieverd in the office, through the good offices of a friend and MMI's Consultant - also a member here (under the threat of death can't reveal his identity - please !) and at a decent discount !

2. Is the positioning any good ?

3. Incidentally this is my first experience with a GPS device or navigator or whatever !

And somehow I feel that I may now have better chance/s of getting lost, every now and then - as now I'll have to replace my 'Grameen' system thanks to the ego and payment made.
1. Congratulations General on the new acquisition.

I am surprised to read that the General is getting death threats. Who has this audacity?

Can you atleast share the discounted price and the actual price?

2. I think you have got the perfect position after the trials of various positions. This should not be a strain while driving.

3. Now that you have one i hope you don't get dependant on it. I had got used to it while in US and felt handicapped without it. Its a different story that Grameen is not easily accessible there.

Do post some updates on the map accuracy after you get a hang of it.
Old 5th August 2011, 14:11   #1075
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

1. The positioning of the device is spot on. and is pretty much the exact location where i place the PND in Chicca.

2. in my MMI PND...
Hi mdsaab,
1. Thanks for the feedback. Right now in the one drive I had with the PND it was a little bit of a distraction - but the position I felt was fairly good.

2. The features you've mentioned are all there on the 140s. Fairly decent is what I would say.

Now need to figure out all the lil' things it can do.

Muchos gracias for all the inputs.

Quote:
1. Congratulations General on the new acquisition.

I am surprised to read that the General is getting death threats. Who has this audacity?

Can you atleast share the discounted price and the actual price?

2. I think you have got the perfect position after the trials of various positions. This should not be a strain while driving.

3. Now that you have one i hope you don't get dependant on it. I had got used to it while in US and felt handicapped without it. Its a different story that Grameen is not easily accessible there.

3. Do post some updates on the map accuracy after you get a hang of it.
Hi Amit,
1. Thanks.

About the death threats etc - just between you and me - remember that ol' toothbrush moustache never liked me, I used to keep fighting with him and that's why I was never made a Field Marshal ! I think some of his acolytes are after me...

2. Thanks for the inputs.

About the pricing, discount etc - Omerta !

3. After the field trials are over shall strive to put up a user review in the gadget section.
Old 5th August 2011, 15:16   #1076
Senior - BHPian

Yes you will find it a bit irritating at first. But eventually you will get used to it.
Dont forget to try out the night map mode in the evening. Looks rather cool. And i know you for one will like it.

Also you can use the record feauture to review your drive after you reach your destination. Its and awesome tool to have. With readouts of avg speed. Distance covered. Speed at various points along the journey. And even where you stopped too.

I have written a review of my PND and its lying on my computer somewhere. I have not uploaded it. No no its a good review. But whats the point. The Delphi device from MMI is no longer available.
Old 5th August 2011, 15:37   #1077
Senior - BHPian

General,
Are you ignoring admiral's fans in Pune ? When are you going to give us the chance to discuss and see all the updates done to admiral in person?
Old 5th August 2011, 18:50   #1078
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes you will find it a bit irritating at first. But eventually you will get used to it.
Dont forget to try out the night map mode in the evening. Looks rather cool. And i know you for one will like it.

Also you can use the record feauture to review your drive after you reach your destination. Its and awesome tool to have. With readouts of avg speed. Distance covered. Speed at various points along the journey. And even where you stopped too.

I have written a review of my PND and its lying on my computer somewhere. I have not uploaded it. No no its a good review. But whats the point. The Delphi device from MMI is no longer available.
Hi mdsaab
Thanks for all the info !
A couple of questions for you - from the user perspective:
1. Since you already have a device from MMI - how sturdy are they ? Meaning I trust they can stand abuse. I presume if it is left in the vehicle in the hot sun etc - it wouldn't have any deleterious effects.

2. How good is the battery ? I notice in the 140s the life is only 2 hours.
No issues leaving it continuously connected to the car bat - right ? No overcharging issue reducung the life of the battery ? Or do you have to disconnect the power source once the charging light changes from red to green ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
General,
Are you ignoring admiral's fans in Pune ? When are you going to give us the chance to discuss and see all the updates done to admiral in person?
Hi F150,
Believe me when I tell you that I do desperately want to go out for a drive and meet you folks. But kya karega saheb - running into time issues.
But anyway let's plan out something towards the end of this month either in Pune or Mumbai.
Let me know if anyone is running across to Mumbai. And don't come in and get out of Mumbai in disguise like mdsaab !
Old 5th August 2011, 18:55   #1079
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
But anyway let's plan out something towards the end of this month either in Pune or Mumbai.
We might soon have a chance to admire the Admiral again. Assuming you join the Kaas Meet in Mid September. Do check out the thread if not done already.
amitwlele is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2011, 21:24   #1080
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Guderian,
Just noticed that TOGO channel has crossed 100,000 views. Amazing popularity - all due to your literary genius! Keep up the witty updates on your battleship General!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks