Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2011, 12:01   #1036
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2011 Toyota Fortuner Boot Camp is back : Mumbai-Pune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
Hail Heinz Guderian!

Reporting back after a mission - work, work & work.

There's something looking good, looking forward to, exciting stuff happening this weekend.

Click here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...ml#post2446368

Am definitely going !

I've got this work thingy going on over the month end. Might go there on the Sunday.

Say what!
Hi Monaro,
Welcome back.
Thanks for the tip off on the Boot Camp. I won't be there due to a variety of reasons - the best one being family commitments !

As you are going to be there don't forget the following post the event:

1. A good wash of your TFort with HP water jet. I guess this will be organised by the Toyota folks themselves for all the participants.

2. If there is going to be a lot of water splashing (of course there will be !) and deep water submergence - greasing of the propeller shafts - front and back. Which they may not have there - so do go to the ASC and get it done within 24 hours.

Have fun and let us know how it went - with lotsa snaps !
Old 28th July 2011, 15:08   #1037
BHPian

Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Hi Guderian,

I must thank you for bringing to the attention of all fortune owners the requirement of nipple greasing (hmmm).

I just got my (mostly) self driven fortuner back from the ASC. It was obviously my mistake not reading your thread before sending it off.

I consider myself a fairly particular owner, but I had left the service in the presumably capable hands of the toyota trained service advisors.

Imagine my surprise when i called up to check if they had greased the prop shaft as part of the 10k service. To start with, they had never heard of prop shaft greasing. Upon further prodding from my end and quoting the Toyota service book, they are now taking the stand that it not mandatory at 10k and only required within 24hrs after submerging.

I will continue my quest to get the nipples greased and will document any further details on my (much more humble) ownership experience thread. I just wanted to thank you for your very detailed and helpful ownership review
Old 29th July 2011, 10:38   #1038
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrspeed12 View Post
Hi Guderian,
I must thank you for bringing to the attention of all fortune owners the requirement of nipple greasing (hmmm).
(Hmmm?
Pssst - You don't grease the nipples. You grease the shaft through the nipples !)
I just wanted to thank you for your very detailed and helpful ownership review
Hi tvrspeed12,
1. You, sir, have been most lavish with your words of praise. Thank you very much indeed. Been a pleasure sharing whatever I come across in terming of information/knowledge on the vehicle I drive.

2. Await your ownership report with plenty of snaps and experiences. Would be great as a comparision.

Also that since we are in the Mumbai area perhaps could meet some day and throw in an invite to the rest of the TFort owners in the region and Pune too. Should be a great gathering.
Will send you a PM with my coordinates.

And to other general information...

As mentioned in one of my earlier posts have been in the process of gathering as much of service/servicing information and details both from the Owner's Manual and net sources and populating an XL for the purpose. Will help when quizzing the ASC chaps on the action carried out or passing on instructions for (or ensuring) the work to be done across various service milestones.

So here is the initial bit, mostly from the owner's manual:

5 K KMs Service: (and at intervals - 15/25/35/etc K Kms)
1. Clean air filter.
2. General inspection - check suspensions/electricals etc.

10K KMs Service: (and at intervals - 20/30/40/etc K KMs)

1. Change engine oil and oil filter.
2. Open and spray clean all brakes.
3. Inspect battery and top up.
4. Grease propeller shafts and tighten the two shafts (f'd and rear) bolts. (Now famous !!!).
5. Tyre rotation.
6. Wheel balancing and alignment.
7. Check PS/clutch oil.

30K KMs Service:

1. Change air filter.
2. Change AC filter.

40K KMs Service:

1. Inspect and change gear oil, if required.
2. Change differential oil (at 40K or every 2 years).
3. Change brake oil (at 40K or every 2 years).

100K KMs Service:

1. Inspect and change drive belt if required.

150K KMs Service:

1. Change timing belt.

160K KMs Service:

1. Change engine coolant (hereafter every 80 K KMs). Flush radiator as a process.

200K KMs Service:

1. Vacuum pump for brake booster - Check and change the blade. Do not reinsert old one.

We'll need to keep adding to this list based on the information gathered and hopefully we should also have an activity list per service from the workshop manual once we lay our hands on it.

WIP !
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2011, 15:32   #1039
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hi tvrspeed12,
As mentioned in one of my earlier posts have been in the process of gathering as much of service/servicing information and details both from the Owner's Manual and net sources and populating an XL for the purpose. Will help when quizzing the ASC chaps on the action carried out or passing on instructions for (or ensuring) the work to be done across various service milestones.

So here is the initial bit, mostly from the owner's manual:

5 K KMs Service: (and at intervals - 15/25/35/etc K Kms)
1. Clean air filter.
2. General inspection - check suspensions/electricals etc.............
200K KMs Service:

1. Vacuum pump for brake booster - Check and change the blade. Do not reinsert old one.

WIP !
Excellent Guderian San! Thank you for this Accurate and informative list. No wonder your Thread is rated 5 stars! (and after all you are a 5 star General are you not)

Isnt it lovely that with Toyota all that really concerns us Owners are some squeaks and rattles whereas our desi SUV's cause concerns of far greater gravity and frequent intervals to their owners.

The issue with the Propeller Shaft greasing was something that pretty much all Fortuner owners were unaware of (not to mention the Service Advisers) and your highlighting it on this forum exemplifies what Team BHP is all about. Lovely pics and anecdotes are superb entertainment but information and posts like these are the real reason for these ownership reviews!

Kudos and keep it it up!
Old 29th July 2011, 15:34   #1040
Distinguished - BHPian

@HG: Sir, I don't recall seeing pictures of the underbelly of your car on this highly detailed thread. Would you kindly do the needful when FATH gets raised (on a car lift, I mean ), and show us the arrangement of the gearbox/TC/centre diff/drive shafts etc.?
Old 29th July 2011, 16:49   #1041
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
Excellent Guderian San! Thank you for this Accurate and informative list. No wonder your Thread is rated 5 stars!
Hi Manuuj,
Thank you very much indeed. You make me blush !
Pleasure to share whatever I pick up.

You are bang on when you state that owners of TForts are concerned about little squeaks and groans and nary a peep about the major mechanical and other snafus as none exist.
Truly blessed are we (touchwood !).
With of course the attendent side effect. A truly boring and exhilarating vehicle at the same time !

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
@HG: Sir, I don't recall seeing pictures of the underbelly of your car on this highly detailed thread. Would you kindly do the needful when FATH gets raised (on a car lift, I mean (naughty you !) ), and show us the arrangement of the gearbox/TC/centre diff/drive shafts etc.?
Hi SS-T Saheb,
There are a few snaps of the underbelly on pages 3 and 63 of the thread.
However point noted.
Next service when Admiral is hoisted up for an inspection shall get better and clear snaps of the underbelly.

Last edited by Guderian : 29th July 2011 at 17:03.
Old 31st July 2011, 23:54   #1042
Senior - BHPian

And Another Delightful, Soggy Sunday...

And today I knew had quite a few tasks to complete on the Admiral. So left out the customary engine wash.
Focussed on checking all the fluids/oils including the clutch and PS oil besides the engine oil/coolant. Everything seems fine.
Hey - why not brake oil ? That is because, as mentioned earlier, there is a nifty arrangement that the Toyota boffins have designed. Not sure whether others also have the same method where the brake system and clutch system feed off the same common reservoir - the brake oil reservoir sitting above the brake master cylinder and feeding the clutch master cylinder - both teenie weenie things compared to the MCs of yore. Like on my Scorp CRDe.
Yes right, snaps can explain it better !

The master reservoir sitting on the Brake Master Cylinder:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-1.jpg

Feeding the brakes/ABS:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-2.jpg

Tube feeding the clutch MC - just below the brake booster tube:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-3.jpg

The small clutch MC:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-4.jpg

And the inspection also included the checks whether all the tubes, hoses and fastened joints/points were in place. And slowly I am begining to appreciate the paint pen mark lines left by the Toyota factory personnel which helps spot if anything has moved at all. Not sure whether it was intended for that - but is helping me immensely.

Yes, snaps indeed.

The intercooler outlet hose to the turbo. From the lines appears it has shifted a wee bit from the factory days. The Worm/Jubilee Clip there would require a wee bitta torquing. Will do that next Sunday. But feels to be firmly in place. Could also be that the hose has settled down:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08385.jpg

The clutch MC feed tube firmly in place:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08389.jpg

The Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAFS) sitting atop the air filter outlet hose in place:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08405.jpg

Booster tube - theek hai:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08406.jpg

Coolant/water pump head tubes in place:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08407.jpg

Coolant bypass (?) tube in place: (Dash ! That '?' means that I need the Workshop/Service Manual real fast to bone up on my understanding of the engine !)
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08412.jpg

And so on. Everything seems to be in place. Despite all the bone jarring rides these days on Mumbai's smooth as silk pot holes with random bits of road thrown in between for effect.

Advice to TFort friends (OK,OK - other friends too !) - do keep a regular lookout in your engine bays for the tubes, hoses and wires/ joints and points. Anything amiss - see what best you can do or rush to the ASC.

And had couple of other tasks to be completed.

Had this issue of drumming rear seats last week which signalled that the SteelGrip jugaad used earlier to silence the rock band was wearing off.
So this time the Duct Tape ( as also indicated by Manuuj) was deployed on active duty. Let's see how long this lasts.

You want what ? Coming up...

This:
Name:  DSC08420.JPG
Views: 1152
Size:  193.9 KB

Needs to firmly anchor on this:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08417.jpg

By this:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08414.jpg

And this was the condition of the earlier jugaad. All in tatters:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08416.jpg

So the troops were called in:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08423.jpg

Easy way to do it ? Slide the cut strip under the anchor point sticky side up and wrap around easily and cut again and do the same with the remaining piece:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08424.jpg

And looks like this:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08426.jpg

Trials later indicated that there was peace in the cabin and the situation was under control. Or as Doordarshan would famously state in the good old days - "Sthiti tanavpoorna magar niyantran mein hain !"

And glory be ! I had shaken off my lethargy and brought down the sucker. Something I was intending to do for months. But the rains and the ingress of particulate matter forced me to now - for despite his best efforts or the lack of it, on part of the GDW showed that the amount of tiny stuff was gathering at the nooks and crannies of the floor at an alarming rate.

And so out came the sucker...oh...the carvac.

A five year old B&D. Works marvellously to this day - touchwood !
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08427.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08429.jpg

Got it from UK then. But I guess the very same stuff is easily available here as well.
Very powerful. Just to check, ever so often, I lift a floor mat with the suction.
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08430.jpg

Gobbled up all muck and debris from everywhere possible and used the soft brush attachment for the AC vents and dash cracks as well as the switches etc. The amount of dust collected was enough to give allergy to a Hay fever enthusiast for a lifetime.

Disassembly for cleaning the filter.
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08432.jpg

The disassembly for the photo op left muck on the mat. Immediately beamed up. "Beam me up Scotty - I have someone from the Air Force coming to see me !"
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08434.jpg

Ahh Admiral ! All set:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08438.jpg

But a lazy Sunday without a sortie it was not to be. The LoH was for quite sometime keen to visit a temple on the outskirts of Thane, deep inside a village. And so it was to be.

Believe me for the first time in Admiral's career I took him deep inside a village, we missed the way and went on to a village trail which was so narrow that even a cyclist's elbows would touch the abutting houses. Was quite apprehensive was slowly making my way when a Tavera was spotted coming down with a gaggle of village folks. Squeeze, maneuvre, squeeze, maneuver...almost went into the Patil's house...with the ladies within giggling. Finally the Tav escaped.

Once again realised the fact that the TFort is indeed truly maneuverable. Size be damned !

Finally located the Temple and it was worth the sweat and amusement of folks gawking.

Ahhh - bliss:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08443.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08450.jpg

While Admiral waits:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc084531.jpg

On the way back spotted:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08455.jpg
Checked wasn't ACM !
The T- A looks neat and smart from the rear is the thought that came to my mind.

The average kind of roads that the Admiral faces these days:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08456.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08457.jpg
And does magnificiently well.

Appears rains and Admiral are made for each other !
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08458.jpg

Of course post the trip - the Sunday effort was all washed away.
But on a second thought - Admiral looks real warrior-like when mud splattered upto the windows and windshield all covered in it but for the space cleared by the wiper swipes.

And with the GDW on his weekly 'chutti' tomorrow - the appearance of a mud splattered, macho Admiral at the office should get me some raving/roving eye balls especially from the PYTs and some warm questions about the weekend.
Now then, I am looking forward to it !

Last edited by Guderian : 1st August 2011 at 00:23.
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2011, 08:24   #1043
Senior - BHPian

Your attention to detail is awesome.
and your DIY's are really cool too.
I am remembering those wonderful Matiz days all over again.
Even till today, the Glove Box is taped up with double sided tape on the inside to prevent it from rattling.
Those were the days.
Drive Safe!
Old 1st August 2011, 11:16   #1044
Senior - BHPian

Friends, do contribute to the dilemma here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-m...-fortuner.html
Old 1st August 2011, 17:56   #1045
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
1.Your attention to detail is awesome.

2. I am remembering those wonderful Matiz days all over again.
Hi mdsaab,
Many thanks.

1. All this was picked up on the Scorpio ! And believe me it has saved me quite a few blushes on long drives.
2. Maybe I am trying to relive the Scorpio days when there is no need to really. But then one can't let his guard down I guess. Better to be prepared. Hardum !

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Friends, do contribute to the dilemma here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-m...-fortuner.html
Hi dkaile,
Have done so. Do let us know the outcome !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
Click here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...ml#post2446368
Am definitely going !
I've got this work thingy going on over the month end. Might go there on the Sunday.
Hey Monaro,
What is the news post the TFortuner boot camp ?
Let us have the details and the snaps ASAP !
Old 2nd August 2011, 03:14   #1046
BHPian

Been there, done that...

Hi HG.

I'm Back!

Back from the very anticipated and 'highly looked forward to' event.
Must say - that was refreshing!
Refereshing after all that city driving, highway cruising, yadda yadda yadda..

So all that they say (the TKM guys) is true - this stuff's what the T-Fort is built for!

Realised a few things: the capability this machine has for non existing surfaces, the ability to perform in tough conditions, and that never say never attitude..

Finally it dawned on me, "Well, we had the gun and didn't know how to shoot!"

All right gritty roads, here I come with My Truck!

Ok, enough theatricals.

HG you should have come sir! I'm sure The Admiral would have loved some hard core 'on the field' action.
That's what he is built for..

According to me, this is a 'once in a year opportunity'!
Ever since I had read about last year's Boot camp on nilanjanray's thread, I've always wanted to participate in one.

Got a good chance to test the Truck and found out that he's worth every penny. For all those critics who have been quite vocal about the mundane 'Innova like interiors', here's what I have to say to them - its all under the hood, that's one powerful engine alright..

more at:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...ml#post2452575
Monaro CV8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2011, 15:52   #1047
Senior - BHPian

@Guderian/Others -
Just wanted to inquire if anyone has tried any contraption to run USB/Aux In with the stock stereo of the Fortuner like a high quality FM Transmitter or something similar? Just dont want to upgrade the stock stereo as of now and I just need USB/Aux In playback.

Everyone's inputs in this regards will be most appreciated.
Old 2nd August 2011, 16:08   #1048
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Guderian/Others -
Just wanted to inquire if anyone has tried any contraption to run USB/Aux In with the stock stereo of the Fortuner like a high quality FM Transmitter or something similar? Just dont want to upgrade the stock stereo as of now and I just need USB/Aux In playback.

Everyone's inputs in this regards will be most appreciated.
I am using the Aux for connecting the iPOD in the stock Vista unit. Have not encountered any issues. And one of my colleagues is using the FM transmitter again in a Vista. Guess it would work well in Fortuner as well.

Curious to know the problems that you envisage?
amitwlele is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2011, 16:30   #1049
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
I am using the Aux for connecting the iPOD in the stock Vista unit. Have not encountered any issues. And one of my colleagues is using the FM transmitter again in a Vista. Guess it would work well in Fortuner as well.

Curious to know the problems that you envisage?
As there is no Aux port in Fortuner and neither a USB one, wanted to inquire how to get high quality sound output from the stock stereo using either of these devices (like my ipod or usb flash drive). Most of the (read chinese) fm transmitters I have heard about, produce low quality sound out put, or am I mistaken? If not, then which brand? And any other alternatives to fm transmitters for this purpose?

Last edited by dkaile : 2nd August 2011 at 16:32.
Old 2nd August 2011, 16:37   #1050
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As there is no Aux port in Fortuner and neither a USB one,
Sorry i was not aware that there is no AUX or USB port in the stock unit of the Fortuner.

Now this would be a learning for me. How do you connect the iPOD if there is no socket in the unit? Would be waiting for updates from the experts.

Last edited by amitwlele : 2nd August 2011 at 16:40.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks