Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2011, 09:36   #916
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
And as once mentioned before - just do remember to lower and raise the stepney once a quarter to ensure that the mechanism is not jammed with mud and muck which flies around. That can be another nightmare too !

Great piece of advice.

Hi mdsaab,

Right said Fred. Good memory.

Had a case of a close friend with a Scorpio who braked hard at a toll booth on the Mum-Pune Eway and found 'a' tyre overtaking him at the booth, with the toll chaps rapidly calculating as to how much would a single tyre's toll be and my friend too wondering as to who could be travelling on just 3 tyres - when he realised that the tyre looked suspiciously familiar.
And the rest was history/geography/auto-engineering/whatever. I think the cable had snapped or something.

Hard to believe ? Check with HVK (HV Kumar) of this forum !
That was hilarious! specially the fictitious part about the toll booth men calculating how much to charge the free wheelin tire.
But ofcourse not so much so for fellow bhpian HVK.
Hope the issue got sorted out and shall not happen ever again.
Old 30th June 2011, 09:49   #917
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Had a case of a close friend with a Scorpio who braked hard at a toll booth on the Mum-Pune Eway and found 'a' tyre overtaking him at the booth, with the toll chaps rapidly calculating as to how much would a single tyre's toll be and my friend too wondering as to who could be travelling on just 3 tyres - when he realised that the tyre looked suspiciously familiar.
And the rest was history/geography/auto-engineering/whatever. I think the cable had snapped or something.

Hard to believe ? Check with HVK (HV Kumar) of this forum !
Yes, looking back, it is hilarious, but the moment it happened, I said, "Hello, who is this overtaking me at the toll gate?" and suddenly got petrified when I realised it was my own tyre! I thought the moving tyre had come off and was petrified that I would crash down and be chastised by the toll guys saying,"3-wheelers not permitted on expressway, saar". Luckily, it was the stepney!

How did it happen? The previous day, I had fixed a puncture in the stepney and I recollect the puncture shop guy struggling to fit the tyre in, but I did not intervene. Looks like the tyre was not pulled up fully to the top and was dangling loose a little lower down. Must have unfastened itself in the sudden braking from 140-0 kmph at the toll gate. But it defies logic how it came off, straightened itself and starting running in front of the car in a straight line!

The toll guys - you should have seen them, "Aayala, this one is trying to cheat us on toll" scrambled out of the way as the tyre deftly slunk under the toll gate, and you must admire the Sachinnn who caught hold of the tyre - like you would loop a rope around a truant calf! - and returned it to me with the expression of "beta ko sambaal lo, aise goomne ko nahin dena" types!

After that, I take a minute off after every removal to check that the tyre is always fastened properly.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2011, 09:54   #918
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
That was hilarious! specially the fictitious part about the toll booth men calculating how much to charge the free wheelin tire.
But ofcourse not so much so for fellow bhpian HVK.
Hope the issue got sorted out and shall not happen ever again.
'Fictitious' ? How could you even think so mdsaab ? Deeply shocked by this
charge. Togo Channel is all about facts. And this from you - that too as a Director of the channel ?

I am told the toll booth chaps were scratching their heads when the tyre appeared out of the blue and rolled past them. It can be safely assumed they were calculating - 4=140 (earlier rates of E-way toll), 1= 140/4 or should it be 5=140 (4 +1 stepney), 1= 140/5 or...etc.
Old 30th June 2011, 10:02   #919
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
'Fictitious' ? How could you even think so mdsaab ? Deeply shocked by this
charge. Togo Channel is all about facts. And this from you - that too as a Director of the channel ?

I am told the toll booth chaps were scratching their heads when the tyre appeared out of the blue and rolled past them. It can be safely assumed they were calculating - 4=140 (earlier rates of E-way toll), 1= 140/4 or should it be 5=140 (4 +1 stepney), 1= 140/5 or...etc.
Sorry Sorry my mistake.
The three wheel on the expressway part is hilarious too. But very lucky that was not the case. that would have been spooky.
I think we could put it down safely as 1/5 * 140 just to be fair here.
But then these toll booth guys are not known for being fair are they?
Old 30th June 2011, 10:06   #920
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Yes, looking back, it is hilarious, but the moment it happened, I said, "Hello, who is this overtaking me at the toll gate?" and suddenly got petrified when I realised it was my own tyre!
Welcome to this Channel Saaar ! Pleasure having you around.

And a great recollection of the episode.
Still remember that rainy evening at my place when you first recounted it and all present went into hysterics and it wouldn't stop for almost an hour. And the whole incredulity behind it.
Old 30th June 2011, 10:42   #921
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
The toll guys - you should have seen them, "Aayala, this one is trying to cheat us on toll" scrambled out of the way as the tyre deftly slunk under the toll gate, and you must admire the Sachinnn who caught hold of the tyre - like you would loop a rope around a truant calf! - and returned it to me with the expression of "beta ko sambaal lo, aise goomne ko nahin dena" types!
What an anecdote!

While this is indeed hilarious, I must say it bordered on being dangerous. Imagine a heavy tyre running free and hitting a person. In fact this has occurred many times where commercial buses/trucks have "released" one of the four rear tires during commute, which eventually went on to hit bystanders resulting in fatalities. Larger tyres tend to roll stratight due to gyroscopic action.
Old 30th June 2011, 10:47   #922
BHPian

Hi Guderian,
I am quite impressed with your language skill (sometimes it is difficult for me to understand !!!)
Anyway, its very enjoyable to read your posts about your priced possession. Till date, I never drove T Forte but my friend praises easy maneuvering in city and good stability on highway.
Have many happy miles ahead with your beast.
Old 30th June 2011, 15:44   #923
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raosaheb Desai View Post
Hi Guderian,
I am quite impressed with your language skill (sometimes it is difficult for me to understand !!!)
Anyway, its very enjoyable to read your posts about your priced possession. Till date, I never drove T Forte but my friend praises easy maneuvering in city and good stability on highway.
Have many happy miles ahead with your beast.
Hi Raosaheb,
Thank you very much for the kind words, observations and good wishes !

I have been following the progress of your N-X-Trail on your ownership thread and I guess you too have been really enjoying the vehicle. Will drop by your thread one of these days.
Wishing you too the very best with the N-X-Trail and many a happy mile in it.

Last edited by Guderian : 30th June 2011 at 15:46.
Old 30th June 2011, 17:51   #924
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Raosaheb,
Thank you very much for the kind words, observations and good wishes !

I have been following the progress of your N-X-Trail on your ownership thread and I guess you too have been really enjoying the vehicle. Will drop by your thread one of these days.
Wishing you too the very best with the N-X-Trail and many a happy mile in it.
Hi,
Do you hear wind noise at speed above 120/130?
How effective the white headlamps in rain?
Just curious!!

Thanks
Old 1st July 2011, 11:10   #925
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raosaheb Desai View Post
Hi,
Do you hear wind noise at speed above 120/130?
How effective the white headlamps in rain?
Just curious!!

Thanks
Hi Raosaheb,
No, I don't hear any sound of the wind when Admiral touches/crosses 120/130. But, I guess, I hear a hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...of the tyres !

Headlamps - the high beam is good but the low beam is so-so or just below average.And in rains the same trend continues.
Old 1st July 2011, 16:54   #926
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ My 2000 Accent used to have that problem- above 140 (only ever tried on the then-newly opened expressway), the wind used to stream in making a "whoooooo...." noise through the AC vents. Scared the beejeezus outta me, I tell ya!

None of the newer cars I have driven have that problem.
Old 1st July 2011, 20:18   #927
Senior - BHPian

So we were on the expressway today.
And suddenly a T-Fort overtook us from the left.
Now i was doing a pretty decent figure when i glanced at the digital speedo. But the effortless poise shown by the T-Fort while overtaking made me feel i was crawling at city speeds.
Just a second later my windscreen was wet, a lot of rainwater accumalated on the road surface was sent straight up to the windscreen.
And its just then that again you realise how tall this beast really is. As usually this sort if scenario only happens with a bus or truck in front of you.
Old 1st July 2011, 20:46   #928
Senior - BHPian

Fortuner Facelift spy pics | Autocar India
Attached Thumbnails
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-fortuner_img.jpg  

dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2011, 09:05   #929
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
So we were on the expressway today.
Hi mdsaab,
Keen observations. Looks like you are veering very close, mentally, to the TFort. Is that right ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Hi dkaile,
Nicely done up TFort. Except for that roof luggage carrier. Gives it a slightly gauche look ! The front bumper is indeed much more muscular looking than the standard issue curvy one.

And about the week's SMTR. None carried out yesterday as I was at a class reunion in Khandala. Except that on Saturday before I set off did the early morning statutory checks of the body fluids of the Admiral.
And nothing else to report.

Aloha !

Last edited by Guderian : 4th July 2011 at 09:06.
Old 4th July 2011, 09:23   #930
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nicely done up TFort. Except for that roof luggage carrier. Gives it a slightly gauche look ! The front bumper is indeed much more muscular looking than the standard issue curvy one.
I don't like the added accessories at all. A nice clean look is what pleases me most, but then it's a personal choice. Even the old one looks quite refined and its just a mid-life minor upgrade; however the ICE upgrade in this new version is most needed; maybe I will delay taking my delivery...
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks