Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2011, 14:01   #886
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

And for some behind the scene shots.....!

Oh yes, there were plenty of behind the scene actions some of which never got captured on celluloid (OK, OK - on pixels). Like me guiding FS and Rahul over a largish and deep trench and FS easily doing it and then giving up the idea of going further as there were three more or so large trenches.

Or like the one that did get captured on the pixels. The one that had Admiral redoing the stream crossing just for the scene to be captured properly for posterity.

Here it is.

Admiral had already crossed the stream when it was realised that no proper 'action' shots were taken.
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08045.jpg

So what was to be done ? Simple. Redo it.
So Admiral reversed back into the water...see the reverse wake ?
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08046.jpg

Reversed up the slope:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08047.jpg
Name:  DSC08048.JPG
Views: 953
Size:  227.2 KB

And ready to plunge again:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08049.jpg

Well, this is what happens on NatGeo/Discovery too...many shots are choreographed action scenes or repeat scenes like the above - of vehicles running about, cameramen scampering to get a shot etc - just for your info !

Last edited by Guderian : 27th June 2011 at 14:26.
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2011, 15:48   #887
Senior - BHPian

^
I think the level of water in this stream (judging by the photos) was too low to be called proper off-roading; Any good sedan would have been up to this challenge, I presume. What is your opinion?
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2011, 16:51   #888
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
^
I think the level of water in this stream (judging by the photos) was too low to be called proper off-roading; Any good sedan would have been up to this challenge, I presume. What is your opinion?
Hi dkaile,
Sure, I didn't even get my feet wet. But some points in the bed were low and vehicles went in and out. I am not sure about the sedans - but there was this Tavera guy (who can be seen in one of the snaps) who refused to swim across !
And yes, as mentioned earlier it was only mild off roading.
I, for one, don't believe in bashing up my vehicles needlessly - and that was something both Rahul and I agreed upon the moment we firmed up this drive and the subsequent ones in the offing.
Old 27th June 2011, 17:02   #889
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
^
True, after checking the level of water, which looks to be 3-4 inch max, any sedan could have managed it. But the important thing is the word, "after".
Old 27th June 2011, 17:19   #890
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
True, after checking the level of water, which looks to be 3-4 inch max, any sedan could have managed it. But the important thing is the word, "after".
In the previous page (59) have a look at the first snap and check as to how low Free Sprit's rear left tyre had dipped...there were a few such lurking holes.
Old 27th June 2011, 18:19   #891
Senior - BHPian

, Actually this amount of water is not a big deal if you compare it with water logging on Delhi flyovers-underpasses or Gurgaon/Haryana roads after one or two hours of rain, Delhi/NCR people must know what I am trying to convey. My WagonR has passed such tests many times and its ANHC’s turn this monsoon.

@ Guderian, Admiral looks majestic and macho as usual and BTW which camera do you use?

PS - How much do you pay to your GDW? If you could mention in this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...r-cleaner.html

Last edited by bluevolt : 27th June 2011 at 18:28.
Old 27th June 2011, 20:20   #892
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
, Actually this amount of water is not a big deal if you compare it with water logging on Delhi flyovers-underpasses or Gurgaon/Haryana roads after one or two hours of rain, Delhi/NCR people must know what I am trying to convey. My WagonR has passed such tests many times and its ANHC’s turn this monsoon.

@ Guderian, Admiral looks majestic and macho as usual and BTW which camera do you use?

PS - How much do you pay to your GDW? If you could mention in this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...r-cleaner.html
Hi bluevolt, Ha ha !
I can assure you of more water on the streets of Mumbai if a guy, upstreet, starts pi**ing ! And with monsoons the quantity of water can put any raging canal to shame - even on the smallest of roads in amchi Mumbai !

Now coming to serious stuff - frankly it is not just the depth of the water that is of importance in such crossings. All the crossings in cities in water logged conditions are done on firm base - tar or concrete roads.

While crossing streams during OTRs or 'cross countrys' the major concern is the quality of the sub-stratum or the ground below the water surface. If it is clayish or sandy and not firm - then even one inch of water is enough to suck your vehicle in and give it the finesse of a beached whale. And that is what one should observe/estimate before waddling into the water.
Here the bottom was very clayish and therefore was the only place where I engaged the HL range.
And a sedan or any vehicle without a 4x4 capability wouldn't exactly make a pretty picture then.
Also there is the issue of deep holes/spots below the suface, quite invisible to the eye. Your tyre goes in never to emerge out unless you are have already engaged the low range. So observing the vehicle ahead is of great importance. And the vehicle ahead of course moving ahead in a very tippity toe manner and feeling the terrain and proceeding.

What compounds Admiral's, and vehicles' of his type, issue is his girth and weight which can be a killer. Light 4X4 jeeps are the best here/OTRs. Some mountain goats those ,really.

Possibly experience may have taught the Tavera chap not to venture in perhaps ?

About the GDW rates and camera - tomorrow - gotta run !

Last edited by Guderian : 27th June 2011 at 20:33.
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2011, 22:11   #893
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Togo Channel never fails to disappoint! With the gorgeous Free Spirit for company, this is probably one of the best posts to date. Take a bow, Harry!

I just LOVE the way Rahul's LC looks. Have never seen that shade of orange- is it a custom paint job? And the tyres made my heart stop.

Admiral looks wonderful in the rains. I found myself admiring Fraulein as she glistened in the rains yesterday and was telling myself I need to post some pics on my thread...as usual you beat me to it!
Hi to Noopster and all the wonderful people who have commented on FS,
Thank you all for loving it .
The colour is Nissan Micra Orange.
This is the first stage of modifications, more goodies are expected in the next month will keep you all posted .
Rahul
Old 28th June 2011, 08:07   #894
Senior - BHPian

I agree with Guderian here.
The surface below the stream is of more importance here.
the stream may look shallow, but what's lurking beneath makes much more of a difference.
If it's extremely slushy under there, you would be asking the Admiral for a hand to be pulled out in case you get stuck.
BTW what 4X4 mode where you in? sorry if i missed that. blame it on the Nissan Micra Orange LC.

Note ~
The @ is not included in this post, as a suggestion read on another thread made me realize that it truly isn't necessary.

Last edited by mdsaab : 28th June 2011 at 08:15.
Old 28th June 2011, 10:48   #895
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
1. @ Guderian, Admiral looks majestic and macho as usual and BTW which camera do you use?

2. PS - How much do you pay to your GDW? If you could mention in this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...r-cleaner.html
Hi bluevolt,
To continue...
1. Thanks. That feels good specially after standing next to a levathian of a looker like Rahul's FS !
And the camera that I use ? Sorry to disappoint you - but it is just a 6 year old, moth eaten, flea infested, Point and Shoot - Sony DSC W -7.

2. GDW - I pay him 400 bucks pm + 1 months bonus a year during diwali + he gets every Monday as a weekly off + also gets paid quite a few tantrums and shouts from me every now and then. Been with me for almost 10 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahultomahawk View Post
This is the first stage of modifications, more goodies are expected in the next month will keep you all posted .
Rahul
Hi Rahul,
Posted ?
I am already selling tickets to folks here for 1. The next trip. 2. A view of FS and 3. Also for my snaps of FS !
Bring the goodies on my friend - we are all eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
BTW what 4X4 mode where you in?
Hi mdsaab, I only engaged the HL in that crossing by way of abundant precaution - which is the high range with the central differential locked.
If it would have been real murder in terms of the clay and slush then possibly LL which is the low range with central diff locked.
Normal running is H - but then the advantage with the TF is that it is 'Full Time 4WD'. So one doesn't have to switch from 2WD to 4WD.

Last edited by Guderian : 28th June 2011 at 10:54.
Old 28th June 2011, 15:11   #896
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian

Hi bluevolt,
To continue...
1. Thanks. That feels good specially after standing next to a levathian of a looker like Rahul's FS !
And the camera that I use ? Sorry to disappoint you - but it is just a 6 year old, moth eaten, flea infested, Point and Shoot - Sony DSC W -7.

2. GDW - I pay him 400 bucks pm + 1 months bonus a year during diwali + he gets every Monday as a weekly off + also gets paid quite a few tantrums and shouts from me every now and then. Been with me for almost 10 years.

Hi Rahul,
Posted ?
I am already selling tickets to folks here for 1. The next trip. 2. A view of FS and 3. Also for my snaps of FS !
Bring the goodies on my friend - we are all eyes.

Hi mdsaab, I only engaged the HL in that crossing by way of abundant precaution - which is the high range with the central differential locked.
If it would have been real murder in terms of the clay and slush then possibly LL which is the low range with central diff locked.
Normal running is H - but then the advantage with the TF is that it is 'Full Time 4WD'. So one doesn't have to switch from 2WD to 4WD.
Ha..ha...sure wil let you all know once it's delivered to me.Once it's arrived we can tackle any obstacle. Sand tracks which we wanted will be there in the shipment after this one .If you need one please book it with Zac he has ordered only five.I have booked one so only four are left.

Last edited by rahultomahawk : 28th June 2011 at 15:12.
Old 28th June 2011, 17:05   #897
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Guderian, I envy your trip, sorry missed this time round, hope I get the invite next time as well, - made an inpromptu 800 kms trip to Baroda instead on the same day.

Would the Aria have managed the terrain? with it for show AWD?

Where did you pick up that foldable shovel?
Old 28th June 2011, 17:36   #898
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sand tracks which we wanted will be there in the shipment after this one .If you need one please book it with Zac he has ordered only five.I have booked one so only four are left.
Hi Rahul,
Thanks for the tip off. Will chat up with you on the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Guderian, I envy your trip, sorry missed this time round, hope I get the invite next time as well, - made an inpromptu 800 kms trip to Baroda instead on the same day.

Would the Aria have managed the terrain? with it for show AWD?

Where did you pick up that foldable shovel?
Hi ACM,
Had mentioned to Rahul that you would be joining in etc and so we missed you for sure.
Well PMCTs (Permanent Members for Crazy Things) never require an invitation - will just inform you the date, time and venue really !

Of course Aria would have managed it in style with its AWD...or are you just pulling my leg ? Ha ha...but then what's Aria's kerb weight incidentally ?

Remember Aria was born out of the flying union of the SUV and a Sedan ?

That Shovel was picked up from the same military surplus shop in CA from where I keep picking up the rest of the collectible junk.
I think you should be able to get a similar one from some Army Navy shop in one of the bylanes of Colaba, Mumbai.
Old 28th June 2011, 17:49   #899
Senior - BHPian

A wonderful article about why Toyota is an enigma even after making so boring cars.

Here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-m...ml#post2409234
Old 28th June 2011, 18:24   #900
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi to Noopster and all the wonderful people who have commented on FS,
Thank you all for loving it .
The colour is Nissan Micra Orange.
Rahul
You're quite welcome, Rahul. Did you get the LC painted yourself? Nissan micra orange- of course that's why it looked so strangely familiar!

BTW Flying Spirit deserves her own ownershi thread, as much as I love seeing it share column cms with the Admiral

Harry- "never fails to disappoint"- I remember chuckling gently to myself when someone else made that same faux pas a few pages up. Let me just dust off what's left of my dignity and pretend it was a Freudian slip OK?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks