Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2011, 16:23   #871
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

A Quick Dash - 2. June 26, 2011.

...We then came across the stream/rivulet/whatever which was more or less dry when we went up. Which was now running with some amount of rain water:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08044.jpg

Admiral fords/fjords the stream:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08049.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08050.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08051.jpg

And a quick walk around the cousins:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08052.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08053.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08054.jpg

It wasn't long before we hit the highway again. Heck ! We were just begining to have some fun.
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08055.jpg

A quick pit stop to further examine Free Spirit and for some snaps at Gowmukh on Ghodbunder Road.
Rahultomahawk:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08061.jpg

Going green:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08064.jpg

The grand old engine. Reliable enough to take you to hell and get you back from there:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08056.jpg

Has a twin battery set up:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08057.jpg

Need I say more ? The Toyota name is enough:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08059.jpg

Treads to die for:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08066.jpg

And miles to go before the cousins sleep:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08067.jpg

Soon enough the real world envelops us backs into its arms:
Name:  DSC08068.JPG
Views: 1165
Size:  127.7 KB

We left around 6.30 am and were back by about 10 am. A short sweet dash !

And as soon as I got back into the colony I espied the GDW trying to run away after washing the other cars. He must have been mighty relieved to see that Admiral was out on a trip.

He wailed when he saw Admiral in this state:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc08073.jpg

But knew that there was no escapin' :
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc080781.jpg

And so there was a meeting of cousins, a great drive and ultimately the SMTR was also completed.

And about Admiral. As usual his performance was impeccable. Whether on road or off. Mild obstacles were despatched with disdain. And all through didn't even engage the HL range much less the LL. However at the water cross engaged the HL. No slippages, no slides, no nothing.
The Full Time 4WD is great in these conditions.

Initially, off road, it was on 3rd gear. Later on as the trail got rough and patchy most of the time it was on 2nd gear. Couple of places in 1st.

The MID showed a FE figure of 10 KMPL on the trail and on return after the highway run it showed 11 KMPL.

Do I have to go back to work tomorrow ? Siiigh !

Last edited by Guderian : 26th June 2011 at 16:51.
Guderian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2011, 18:32   #872
BHPian

Wow. Harish , what a nice write up of our small trip.Really wished we could have gone further. I am sure in our next attempt we will have the equipment to go over the trenches and complete our journey.
Old 26th June 2011, 18:44   #873
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahultomahawk View Post
Wow. Harish , what a nice write up of our small trip.Really wished we could have gone further. I am sure in our next attempt we will have the equipment to go over the trenches and complete our journey.
What is the tyre size on that beautifully maintained LC? It is even dwarfing the TF...
Old 26th June 2011, 19:05   #874
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile
What is the tyre size on that beautifully maintained LC? It is even dwarfing the TF...
Lc is lifted with 2 inch suspension from Ironman , tyres are 33" Yokohama geolander M/T .
Old 26th June 2011, 19:25   #875
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lc is lifted with 2 inch suspension from Ironman , tyres are 33" Yokohama geolander M/T .
And the rim size is? looks like a R15
Old 26th June 2011, 19:27   #876
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile
And the rim size is? looks like a R15
Yes, It is 15 inch. 33x12.5 R15.
Old 27th June 2011, 08:09   #877
Senior - BHPian

What a treat, The LC is some enviable ride.
I like the blend of modern and classic in the dash, done up tastefully.
Ofcourse the presence of the LC did steal some of the limelight from the Admiral. But i feel he held his ground well.
& That's what we buy 4X4's for, to enjoy these lovely trails where "saada machines" can't take you. Way to GO!

BTW was speaking to someone back home in Pune, a senior citizen from Mumbai.
Who had spoken to someone from the top brass mumbai police.
he said that they actually recommend and it might just be mandatory soon enough ~ to carry a torch and a hammer in your vehicle at all times.

Come Monday morning @Guderian, and you really never disappoint.
Drive Safe!
Old 27th June 2011, 08:25   #878
BHPian

Thank you mdsaab for your kind words. I and Mandeep aka renege on Team Bhp always wanted to build a expedition vehicle. The purpose to explore places where many people give a miss.
It was fun to go with Harish sadly we could not complete the journey, we are fauji bacchas we will go prepared next time and finish the uncompleted trail.

Last edited by rahultomahawk : 27th June 2011 at 08:28.
Old 27th June 2011, 09:06   #879
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Rahul, Thanks.
It was delightful to drive behind Free Spirit, both ways, at a very sedate & enjoyable 90 KMPH which according to me is the best speed for the Admiral too. You enjoy the drive, do wonders for the FE and have adequate senses around you to enjoy the beauty flashing past. Best of all in case of emergencies you have adequate response time to control the situation. And it was a delight to watch FS in the front !

Next time we certainly will complete the unfinished business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Quote:
Some day and after the warranty is done with - I hope to do the same stuff with the Admiral too. Though I simply love the way it rides now. But the extra inches and large tyres are something to really salivate for !

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
What a treat, The LC is some enviable ride.
I like the blend of modern and classic in the dash, done up tastefully.
Ofcourse the presence of the LC did steal some of the limelight from the Admiral. But i feel he held his ground well.
& That's what we buy 4X4's for, to enjoy these lovely trails where "saada machines" can't take you. Way to GO!

BTW was speaking to someone back home in Pune, a senior citizen from Mumbai.
Who had spoken to someone from the top brass mumbai police.
he said that they actually recommend and it might just be mandatory soon enough ~ to carry a torch and a hammer in your vehicle at all times.

Come Monday morning @Guderian, and you really never disappoint.
Drive Safe!
Hi mdsaab,
Thank you very much indeed ! FS is a truly delightful vehicle and must say I really enjoyed checking it out.
Could see many similarities in the two generations apart and classes of vehicles - which certainly meant that Toyota does have some solid design concepts which stand the test of time. And also the thinking among their designers as to why change something which is working very well.
Shall try and put up a list of what I thought was some similarities - sometime soon.

Quote:
Thank you mdsaab for your kind words. I and Mandeep aka renege on Team Bhp always wanted to build a expedition vehicle. The purpose to explore places where many people give a miss.
It was fun to go with Harish sadly we could not complete the journey, we are fauji bacchas we will go prepared next time and finish the uncompleted trail.
Hi Rahul, Great fun here too as can be seen from the snaps and the experience was delightful.
You bet we will ! Not only shall the two machines complete the unfinished business - but also try out new trails. A few have already been suggested by couple of good folks here.
Old 27th June 2011, 09:41   #880
Senior - BHPian

wow, FS do looks macho - a very well maintained and neatly done up LC.

I am sure GDW may have got a mild heart attack when he saw Admiral returning from the field trip. Hope to see more and more 4X4 action from Admiral.
Old 27th June 2011, 11:22   #881
dot
Senior - BHPian

Absolutely loved @rahultomahawk's LC. The world might end by catastrophic event, but this vehicle will probably survive that and remain standing. It also reminded me of a novel I had real long time ago, "Flyaway" by Desmond Bagley, Among many things involving a 30s aircraft Northrop Gamma, they take a LC across the deserts and unforgiving rocks of Southern Algeria and Niger. Unforgettable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
it might just be mandatory soon enough ~ to carry a torch and a hammer in your vehicle at all times.
The time of the post suggested a productive time. BTW, Scorponok always carries a heavy professional hammer and a torch. This practice started after the news of 05 Mumbai floods.

Last edited by dot : 27th June 2011 at 11:24.
Old 27th June 2011, 11:53   #882
Distinguished - BHPian

Togo Channel never fails to disappoint! With the gorgeous Free Spirit for company, this is probably one of the best posts to date. Take a bow, Harry!

I just LOVE the way Rahul's LC looks. Have never seen that shade of orange- is it a custom paint job? And the tyres made my heart stop.

Admiral looks wonderful in the rains. I found myself admiring Fraulein as she glistened in the rains yesterday and was telling myself I need to post some pics on my thread...as usual you beat me to it!
Old 27th June 2011, 11:55   #883
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
It also reminded me of a novel I had real long time ago, "Flyaway" by Desmond Bagley, Among many things involving a 30s aircraft Northrop Gamma, they take a LC across the deserts and unforgiving rocks of Southern Algeria and Niger. Unforgettable.
OT: @ DOT happy to see another one who reads Desmond Bagley - I somehow thought no one reads him any more
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2011, 12:23   #884
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
OT: @ DOT happy to see another one who reads Desmond Bagley - I somehow thought no one reads him any more
OT: What a nice surprise! The feeling is mutual.

Desmond Bagley has perhaps vanished from public memory as the books are out of print and circulation. I had lost my original books and was fortunate to get a used copy of Flyaway in one of the hutment shops of College Street.

Some pictures of LC20, that might have roamed the rocky and unforgiving sands of Tamanrasset.

Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-toyotalandcruiser20seriesfrontthreequarters.jpg

Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-toyotafj40580x435.jpg

Last edited by dot : 27th June 2011 at 12:26.
dot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2011, 13:40   #885
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
wow, FS do looks macho - a very well maintained and neatly done up LC.

I am sure GDW may have got a mild heart attack when he saw Admiral returning from the field trip. Hope to see more and more 4X4 action from Admiral.
You bet ! On both counts - about the FS being one cracker of a looker and machine and the GDW's heart attack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
1. Togo Channel never fails to disappoint!

2. With the gorgeous Free Spirit for company, this is probably one of the best posts to date. Take a bow, Harry!

I just LOVE the way Rahul's LC looks. Have never seen that shade of orange- is it a custom paint job? And the tyres made my heart stop.

3. Admiral looks wonderful in the rains. I found myself admiring Fraulein as she glistened in the rains yesterday and was telling myself I need to post some pics on my thread...as usual you beat me to it!
1. Ooops !

2. & 3. Thank you Noops. Admiral is truly in his element when the circumstances go bad - like rotten weather, lousy roads and what not. And when everything is hunky dory its boring as per him.

Quote:
Absolutely loved @rahultomahawk's LC. The world might end by catastrophic event, but this vehicle will probably survive that and remain standing. It also reminded me of a novel I had real long time ago, "Flyaway" by Desmond Bagley, Among many things involving a 30s aircraft Northrop Gamma, they take a LC across the deserts and unforgiving rocks of Southern Algeria and Niger. Unforgettable.
Quote:
Quote:
OT: What a nice surprise! The feeling is mutual.

Desmond Bagley has perhaps vanished from public memory as the books are out of print and circulation. I had lost my original books and was fortunate to get a used copy of Flyaway in one of the hutment shops of College Street.
Hmmm...and here am I - another chap who used to devour Desmond Bagley books in college. Though haven't seen any on bookshelves for long. My Dad had quite a few of his books now lying untended at home. But yeah - nice to meet you folks who used to or still do read him !

And dot - lovely snaps of those LC20s.

Last edited by Guderian : 27th June 2011 at 14:04.
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks