Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2011, 08:31   #796
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
A few Q's for you :
1. Do you use anything specific to keep the interior plastics in your Qualis/Corolla looking fresh ? And may I dare add - ready for the next decade ?!!
2. What is the final cost of the T-Fort that you have booked ? (Iknow you have mentioned the costs earlier - but wanted to have a look with the fresh booking with another dealer.)
3. What accessories are you getting and its cost/s ?
1. I use only carnauba based wax polish for the exterior and I get both cars properly washed and waxed once a month at my home (no teflons for me please). For interiors, as both my cars have Fabric seats, I use nothing more than a good vaccum cleaner and then cleaning any stains with a light (home made) detergent based solution dipped in a clean cloth and give it the rubbing once in 3 months. The dashboard can be given a slight shine with a dashboard polish from Waxpol once in 6 months. No other off-market accessories for me, as I see they do more harm than good.

Yes, both my cars are ready for the next decade as they have already given me service for 9 and 7 years respectively. Though I have done low mileage with them over this period as I have multiple cars and they are used turn by turn. My Qualis has just done 1.15L KMs while the Corolla is still at 53K KMs, so they have been sparingly used to say the least. But they are still going rock solid and shame the brand new Honda's and VW's of my friends.

But sadly I will need to let go of both of them as I am in the process of replacing both of them. First the Qualis with the Fortuner and then the Corolla with preferably a BMW 3 series (VFM) or a dropped price Camry (that is expected to hit Indian shores shortly).

2. The Final On-Road price now at the Commercial Toyota, Haldwani (Uttaranchal) dealer will now be Rs. 21,22,798/- (20,31,510 Ex-showroom + 2500 Logistics + 50788 Road Tax & RTO + 38000 Insurance from my own sources). This has dropped from the 22.25L price that I had earlier booked from 36 Toyota, Faridabad (Haryana) mainly due to the difference in Road tax which was 1.66Lacs in Haryana. My note on Uttaranchal Road Tax (benefits and totally legal procedure) is here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...ml#post2389316

3. I am planning zero accessories as of now (except perhaps the mats and a muffler cutter which I will try to squeeze in for free at the time of delivery). I was earlier planning the Prado Grill but have since dropped the idea for now as I find the existing one looking good. I have gone and surveyed the ICE upgrade at the Lajpat Nagar (wholesale market of car accessories) in Delhi and have found a excellent Map My India original fitment for Fortuner (model MMI 051168 MRP 45,000/-) with 5.4" Touchscreen Navigation system with DVD, Bluetooth, Reverse Camera et all and all other bells and whistles being quoted to me between 37K to 42K (same product, different dealers), whereas the same system was recommended to me by 36 Toyota for a cost of 49K. I may go for this 6 months down the line.

I find the car looks best in its original form and shape as i hope to retain the car for at least 5-7 years and the added accessories somehow pimps it up too much for my taste and liking (see attached photo)

Also find a picture of my 2004 Corolla.
Attached Thumbnails
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-toyota-fortuner-silver1.jpg  

Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-corolla-2004.jpg  

Last edited by dkaile : 15th June 2011 at 08:40.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2011, 09:58   #797
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
1. I use only carnauba based wax polish for the exterior and I get both cars properly washed and waxed once a month at my home (no teflons for me please). For interiors, as both my cars have Fabric seats, I use nothing more than a good vaccum cleaner and then cleaning any stains with a light (home made) detergent based solution dipped in a clean cloth and give it the rubbing once in 3 months. The dashboard can be given a slight shine with a dashboard polish from Waxpol once in 6 months. No other off-market accessories for me, as I see they do more harm than good.

Yes, both my cars are ready for the next decade as they have already given me service for 9 and 7 years respectively. Though I have done low mileage with them over this period as I have multiple cars and they are used turn by turn. My Qualis has just done 1.15L KMs while the Corolla is still at 53K KMs, so they have been sparingly used to say the least. But they are still going rock solid and shame the brand new Honda's and VW's of my friends.

But sadly I will need to let go of both of them as I am in the process of replacing both of them. First the Qualis with the Fortuner and then the Corolla with preferably a BMW 3 series (VFM) or a dropped price Camry (that is expected to hit Indian shores shortly).

2. The Final On-Road price now at the Commercial Toyota, Haldwani (Uttaranchal) dealer will now be Rs. 21,22,798/- (20,31,510 Ex-showroom + 2500 Logistics + 50788 Road Tax & RTO + 38000 Insurance from my own sources). This has dropped from the 22.25L price that I had earlier booked from 36 Toyota, Faridabad (Haryana) mainly due to the difference in Road tax which was 1.66Lacs in Haryana. My note on Uttaranchal Road Tax (benefits and totally legal procedure) is here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...ml#post2389316

3. I am planning zero accessories as of now (except perhaps the mats and a muffler cutter which I will try to squeeze in for free at the time of delivery). I was earlier planning the Prado Grill but have since dropped the idea for now as I find the existing one looking good. I have gone and surveyed the ICE upgrade at the Lajpat Nagar (wholesale market of car accessories) in Delhi and have found a excellent Map My India original fitment for Fortuner (model MMI 051168 MRP 45,000/-) with 5.4" Touchscreen Navigation system with DVD, Bluetooth, Reverse Camera et all and all other bells and whistles being quoted to me between 37K to 42K (same product, different dealers), whereas the same system was recommended to me by 36 Toyota for a cost of 49K. I may go for this 6 months down the line.

I find the car looks best in its original form and shape as i hope to retain the car for at least 5-7 years and the added accessories somehow pimps it up too much for my taste and liking (see attached photo)

Also find a picture of my 2004 Corolla.
Hi dkaile,
1. Thanks for the detailed response. A very nice read indeed.

2. For the Admiral's plastics was planning to use Motomax dashboard polish - which I had used on the Scorp and found it good. However haven't started it yet as it is still looking fresh and new. The Scorp dash was darker in colour, was easily scuffed and so required this polish. I guess with the quality of plastic in the TFort a little scrub once in a way is all that may be required.

Other thing I need to do shortly is to vacuum the interiors. Have a Black & Decker 1205 carvac which is a gem.

Leather of course cleaned with the product I had snapped and put up here earlier.

3. Sorry to hear about the intended departures of the Qualis and the Corolla. The Corolla looks great.
And these old machines were really something. Hard to replace really.

4. That's a huge difference in OTR prices of the TFort, as you would have seen from my post. Almost a 2.55L difference. And one thing I just can't fathom is why is the ex showroom prices different ? The exshowroom price in Thane in Feb was - Rs 20,95,520. On this count intself there is a 64K difference. State sales taxes perhaps ?

5. Good info on that MMI fitment. Will look at it seriously.

6. About the accessories - right said Fred. My feeling too. Would like it as stock as possible outside and inside !
Old 15th June 2011, 11:10   #798
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hi dkaile,
Have a Black & Decker 1205 carvac which is a gem.

4. That's a huge difference in OTR prices of the TFort, as you would have seen from my post. Almost a 2.55L difference. And one thing I just can't fathom is why is the ex showroom prices different ? The exshowroom price in Thane in Feb was - Rs 20,95,520. On this count intself there is a 64K difference. State sales taxes perhaps ?
Black & Decker is good in each and every equipment they make. I use their hand drill personally for odd jobs.

Yes, It is in fact higher Sales Tax primarily but Octroi also in your state. Octroi is abolished almost everywhere in the country except Maharashtra, I presume. Maharashtra is notorious for the highest taxation levels in the country.

It could have been an alternative choice to have booked and taken delivery from Uttaranchal and saved the cool 2.5L. The local address is easily made available. And you would have tested the Fortuner's cruising ability on the long drive back home and also enjoyed the natural beauty of Uttaranchal on the way... just a joke BTW but some people really do consider that... Also till recently Chandigarh had a flat rate of 5K as Road Tax for all cars over 5L; imagine paying a road tax of just Rs. 5000/- on a Porsche; many in fact did from all over the country till the state govt. realised their folly and corrected the situation.

Last edited by dkaile : 15th June 2011 at 11:12.
Old 15th June 2011, 11:10   #799
Senior - BHPian

Guderian,

See a few issues faced with the Fortuner during a Leh trip - what are your thoughts on this, given that you have driven a SUV for many years?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2391843

I made a post asking Turbanator for more info. Never faced any issues with the Fortuner's pulling power - make sure that I am in the right torque zone - , so only reason for car not pulling is perhaps due to wrong RPM zone.
Old 15th June 2011, 11:47   #800
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, It is in fact higher Sales Tax primarily but Octroi also in your state. Octroi is abolished almost everywhere in the country except Maharashtra, I presume. Maharashtra is notorious for the highest taxation levels in the country.
Hi, No, the base ex-showroom stated by me was excluding the Octroi.Octroi charged/shown separately.So I guess the difference in base price could be only due to ST.
Old 15th June 2011, 12:13   #801
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Guderian,

See a few issues faced with the Fortuner during a Leh trip - what are your thoughts on this, given that you have driven a SUV for many years?

I made a post asking Turbanator for more info. Never faced any issues with the Fortuner's pulling power - make sure that I am in the right torque zone - , so only reason for car not pulling is perhaps due to wrong RPM zone.
Hi Nils,
You could be right and I think so too.
But then frankly I haven't driven much in the high altitude areas, which I plan to in the coming years. High altitudes changes many things in the engine performance because of the rarified air. So one has to change the driving pattern as compared to the plains in terms of the change of gears/RPMs etc.
Will anyway go through the link and comeback here if something occurs to me.
Old 15th June 2011, 12:48   #802
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian
Hi Nils,
You could be right and I think so too.
But then frankly I haven't driven much in the high altitude areas, which I plan to in the coming years. High altitudes changes many things in the engine performance because of the rarified air. So one has to change the driving pattern as compared to the plains in terms of the change of gears/RPMs etc.
Will anyway go through the link and comeback here if something occurs to me.
General,
As the altitude increases the density of air decreases. I presume the turbo will take more time to spool when compared to lower altitudes.
Old 15th June 2011, 12:59   #803
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
General,
As the altitude increases the density of air decreases. I presume the turbo will take more time to spool when compared to lower altitudes.
Hi F150,
More than the turbo (which in the TF is a VGT), it is the impact of the rarified air(low in oxygen) on the air-fuel mixture that burns in the cylinder that creates issues. Which means that you need to keep downshifting/upshifting at different RPMs as compared to the plains.

Last edited by Guderian : 15th June 2011 at 13:01.
Old 15th June 2011, 13:07   #804
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Guderian,

If you don't mind my opinion, frankly I think his air filter might have been clogged and hence the engine felt starved. I'm sure the Innovas there run on stock mapping, nothing like that would have been changed.

And maybe to make up for the poor diesel, System D or an equivalent can be carried?
Old 15th June 2011, 13:13   #805
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian
Hi F150,
More than the turbo (which in the TF is a VGT), it is the impact of the rarified air(low in oxygen) on the air-fuel mixture that burns in the cylinder that creates issues. Which means that you need to keep downshifting/upshifting at different RPMs as compared to the plains.
General,
I am researching more on this topic.At sea level there are the two components to the PSI. 14.7 psi is the atmospheric pressure plus the pressure generated by the turbo. As the altitude increases the atmospheric pressure decreases from 14.7 psi to up to 10psi. So there is a loss in boost. The turbo spins faster to compensate for the loss, which at sometimes is beyond the efficiency range of the turbo.The oxygen content is also reduced as pointed out by you. source of this info is google

Last edited by F150 : 15th June 2011 at 13:18.
Old 15th June 2011, 17:45   #806
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
If you don't mind my opinion, frankly I think his air filter might have been clogged and hence the engine felt starved. I'm sure the Innovas there run on stock mapping, nothing like that would have been changed.

And maybe to make up for the poor diesel, System D or an equivalent can be carried?
Quite true. Besides the older generation Qualis too run there flawlessly. Some of of the tour operators swear by them.
Even Noopster here (yes him, of the red shirt fame !) experienced the Qualis and wants to buy a second hand one for the plains after he fell in love with one of them in Leh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
General,
I am researching more on this topic.At sea level there are the two components to the PSI. 14.7 psi is the atmospheric pressure plus the pressure generated by the turbo. As the altitude increases the atmospheric pressure decreases from 14.7 psi to up to 10psi. So there is a loss in boost. The turbo spins faster to compensate for the loss, which at sometimes is beyond the efficiency range of the turbo.The oxygen content is also reduced as pointed out by you. source of this info is google
Hi F150,
Possibly yes. Is that true for VGTs too ? Just do a check on that as well.
In any case it should impact all turbo charged vehicles as should the low oxygen levels. If so then being in the correct RPM range is essential for optimal torque delievery.

Last edited by Guderian : 15th June 2011 at 18:05.
Old 15th June 2011, 20:33   #807
Distinguished - BHPian

Damn it Guderian- that shirt is vermilion!

dkaile- I am toying with a 4WD as a second car but the thought of buying something 100K km old is a little scary. We should meet sometime

HG- this thread is getting dry without some of your trademark pics of the ADmiral- post some of him soaking up the Mumbai monsoons willya?!
Old 15th June 2011, 20:37   #808
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hmmm, I'm interested in disposing; How's my 2002 Qualis looking; 1.15L km; This photo was on my last trip to Manali few month's back (I'm on the left btw); he can PM/email (dhirajkaile@gmail.com) me for details/better shots of the vehicle; Sorry, if I'm being off topic.
No comments - Noopster to respond.
10% of sale value of course would go to -TCDF (Togo Channel Development Fund - Tax Exempt) !

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
1. Damn it Guderian- that shirt is vermilion!

dkaile- I am toying with a 4WD as a second car but the thought of buying something 100K km old is a little scary. We should meet sometime

2. HG- this thread is getting dry without some of your trademark pics of the ADmiral- post some of him soaking up the Mumbai monsoons willya?!
1. Oh - 'Teri maang mein sindoor' type vermillion colour eh ?

2. Say - there was an overdose of snaps on the weekend. Check the previous 3/4 pages I think.....!
And look at 'em lovely shots from dkaile and great shots of Admiral in action from f1fan.
More coming up duly...

Last edited by Guderian : 15th June 2011 at 21:01.
Old 15th June 2011, 20:46   #809
Senior - BHPian

@Guderian - That was hilarious as always... TCDF... lolz; Awaiting more snaps

@noopster - We should definitely meet ; btw, this qualis is good for another 2L km's, that's my reading of these Toyota's; but a 4WD would definitely be a better off-roader.
Old 16th June 2011, 08:20   #810
Senior - BHPian

@Guderian
as a regular contributor to the TOGO channel
please allocate my share of the 10% proceedings. Not that we need any motivation to continue posting on TOGO channel, but lets be fair here. LOL!

I think the MMI infotainment system is a great addition to the T-Fort's dash.
Will really enhance the looks. Also pre loaded with MMI Maps, which are IMHO the best around in India. Navigating to that unknown destination will be a breeze.

@Noopster so you are finally getting that Qualis!?! Congratulations!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks