Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2011, 12:51   #766
dot
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
10 kmpl is amazing in that crawl. I get 3-4 when stuck in the Hinejwadi mess!
Can you switch of those MIDs, really. Hate them. Thats why I am really trying hard not to buy ScangaugeII.

Quote:
Nice pics. It must be amazing to ride the Admiral in the rains, looking down haughtily at all the (literally) lowly mortals scampering to avoid getting water in their engines. Sigh!
Agreed. The guy with horns inside my head has already started to tell me things about the T.F.
Old 12th June 2011, 11:31   #767
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. 10 kmpl is amazing in that crawl. I get 3-4 when stuck in the Hinejwadi mess!

2. Nice pics. It must be amazing to ride the Admiral in the rains, looking down haughtily at all the (literally) lowly mortals scampering to avoid getting water in their engines. Sigh!
Hey Noops,
1. Let me clarify that the 10 KMPL figure on the MID was after the completion of the run since bunkering in the morning, which included a decently smooth run in the evening after Chembur till the Thane chaos. In the thick of the Wadala chaos the MID was flashing figures between 7.5 to 9 KMPL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
General,
1. Which gears were the most used in such crawling traffic ? 1st and 2nd ? or 2nd and 3rd.

2. No comments on your legs feeling like rubber.

3. Precisely what I thought when I read general's post about MID, immediately remembered your vento. But then admiral has a MT and fraulein has a AT.
Hi F150,
1. As mentioned last night when we met at the mega meet at Lonavala - by and large 2nd and 3rd gear. Stop and start - 1st gear.

2. Wise decision !

3. But such a huge difference ? But could be...

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Chembur/Suman Nagar junction has been the bottleneck ages now. What is the progress of the flyover that is being built at the junction?
Kaam chalu aahe. Looks nowhere near completion. Looking at the traffic flow pattern and design of the FO - there would be more chaos there once the FO is complete. Folks wanting to turn right into Chembur would have to touch left to take the FO. So imagine the amount of lane changing. And the vehicles needing to go to Thane/Airoli would have to continue straight.
So one mega mess being served up rightaway sir !

Well, life is also similarly funny - to go to the right, first take a left !

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
@Guderian
1. First of all that had me rolling on the floor too(oh no here we go again) LOL!

2. it would be really interesting if we could have an off road comparo between the Paj and the T-Fort.

3. but about those folks who end up rear ending due to the unsafe distance maintained.
1. Well some of those sentences can raise a guffaw ! Like the one in point no. 3 - despite your best efforts at safe errr...driving...no, 'sentencing' !

2. There is already a brief one in the offical TFort report by GTO. And detailed comparos in some of the auto-mags. Not sure how good they are/were. Find the reviews on TBHP better than any in the auto-magazines, which normally reads like a sponsored review and totally lack objectivity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Agreed. The guy with horns inside my head has already started to tell me things about the T.F.
Hey dot, One effective way I have to deal with those 'horny' guys in the mind - just surrender to them.
So see you soon with a TFort. Let me know should you need any help.

Last edited by Guderian : 12th June 2011 at 11:40.
Old 12th June 2011, 20:32   #768
Senior - BHPian

A Chiaroscuro of Memories of the Weekend.....! June 12, 2011.

And the dark portion of the image was contributed by the dark grey weather and the light by a drive, another drive, a meet and a Sunday cleaning routine ! How better can one explain an image described as chiaroscuro ?!!

First things first ! Saturday of course saw the Admiral going on two drives in quick succession.

Saturday morning was a drive with the LoH, to the mofussil township of Ambarnath through pouring rain, floods and delightfully grey/dark weather. The Admiral was literally at/on sea trials. And passed the trials of wading through knee deep water/s with flying colours. Ambarnath was once a lovely township about 60 KMs from Mumbai nestling in small mountainous terrain with lots of greenery. A place where I had worked in a chemical company and we stayed in the next door company quarters for five long memorable years in the early part of my career.

A visit necessitated by a visit to an old, old bank in an old building falling apart (SBI of course), memories and the urge to drive !

And as ever the snaps shall now speak up !

Skies blissfully overcast as we lift anchors. Perfect day for sailing:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc07791.jpg

We first took the Mumbra bypass when it started to come down, gently first:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc07792.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc07793.jpg

The Thane Creek from the bypass ramp:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc07795.jpg

After some distance on the bypass, a treacle thick traffic jam forced us to turn back to the Mumbra road to unbypass the bypass ! Which turned out to be surprisingly smooth:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc07796.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc07797.jpg

And soon the heavens opened up with full force. Somewhere on the road after the turn off to Ambarnath. All green, delightfully green:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc07798.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc07799.jpg

Near the township nullahs turned roads and roads turned nullahs. Waded through a few patches which appeared to be knee high or slightly less in depth of water:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc07800.jpg

On the way back after the task was completed took a spin about the old parts of the township (not that there are any new parts but.....!).

Our old company bungalows, now in a sorry state of disrepair:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc07802.jpg

And the return saw some very heavy showers and force 10 level (OK,OK almost !) gale winds slam into the Admiral:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc07803.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc07804.jpg

The old boy held his ground well. Wipers deployed in hi-speed mode acted well.

Satisfied with the wading and ground holding capabilities. Though I drove very slowly into the water after observing how other vehicles like trucks fared. Ans actually not many heart in the mouth moments in the water/s.
But when the squall slammed Admiral was a little worried - as it rocked from side to side - slowed down speed to almost 20 KMPH and then cautiously proceeded.
Needlessly was worried as I realised. And a good experience.

And then came in the late afternoon the drive to Lonavala for the TBHP Mumbai Mega Meet. All my snaps and a mini report here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...h-june-28.html

The drive to and back was rather interesting with ACM very lucidly comparing the T-Aria and T-Fort:
- The suspension of the TF is very firm and Admiral a little bouncy. (Had explained that the Admiral is a little bouncy thanks to 2 PSI excess air that I maintain in the tyres.)
- T-Fort felt very solid in build.
- Lots of bells and whistles in the T-Aria.
- T-Fort could run circles around the T-Aria thanks to the 3.0L monster mill, torque and BHP.
- I saw that the T-Aria (which was temporarily berthed in Admiral's bay for the duration of the trip as Admiral ferried me and ACM for the meet) was longer as far as the wheel base was concerned. Would give a super ride I guess.
Comparitively the T-Fort bulk would be rather prim and propah ! And the T-Aria like an good solid aircraft carrier to the Admiral's cruiser like proportions.
- I extolled, from my point of view, the virtues of all the manual systems on the Admiral. Gearbox, transfer cases, transfer select etc etc. Not sure whether ACM was impressed.

Someday will examine the T-Aria in detail.

The long day which began yesterday ended this morning at 1.00 am.

By then had completed about 300 KMs in terrible, terrible or rather delightful weather (depends on how you look at it - for me the later !) and horrendous or wonderful road conditions (again - depends on how you look at it - for me the later !).

(To be continued...)

Last edited by Guderian : 12th June 2011 at 21:01.
Old 12th June 2011, 20:42   #769
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
And as ever the snaps shall now speak up !
General i tried really hard to hear what the snaps were trying to say but could not hear a thing

Snaps don't seem to be loaded properly. Blame it on a temporary glitch on the site i guess.
Old 12th June 2011, 20:55   #770
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
General i tried really hard to hear what the snaps were trying to say but could not hear a thing

Snaps don't seem to be loaded properly. Blame it on a temporary glitch on the site i guess.
Hey Amit,
Adjust your hearing aid and now try again.....!
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2011, 21:13   #771
Senior - BHPian

Knee high water must have been like bathtub for your machine! But, you got to drive in the blinding rain at-least! For many years I have had this wish, to drive in the pouring rainfall, but it has never come true. Firstly Pune has too little rainfall compared to Mumbai and secondly whenever I start out, the rain stops

Anyways, nice to hear your beast is doing well. Hope to hear more and more updates!

Last edited by W.A.G.7 : 12th June 2011 at 21:14. Reason: Added sentence.
Old 12th June 2011, 21:19   #772
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guderian,

Nice snaps there and as I can see you are enjoying your car very much.

Just one query, Have you done some under body anti rust treatment for your car to protect it from severe Mumbai Monsoons?

I am too planning to get it done for my ANHC though monsoon is yet to hit Delhi/NCR.

Last edited by bluevolt : 12th June 2011 at 21:22.
Old 12th June 2011, 21:52   #773
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One effective way I have to deal with those 'horny' guys in the mind - just surrender to them.
Bob Christo anyone?

Quote:

So see you soon with a TFort. Let me know should you need any help.
The other day me and wifey were waiting inside Scorponok for a person to show up. I spotted a T.F. and was naturally staring at it. Funnily enough wifey was also staring at it. So asked her if we should pick up one when son is a little older. She said absolutely. I was shocked. Then I quietly said thats it is 24 Lakhs. She did a double take and said, "24 lakhs for a bicycle?"

Turns out that a kid's bicycle was parked next to the Fort.
Old 12th June 2011, 22:03   #774
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bob Christo anyone?

The other day me and wifey were waiting inside Scorponok for a person to show up. I spotted a T.F. and was naturally staring at it. Funnily enough wifey was also staring at it. So asked her if we should pick up one when son is a little older. She said absolutely. I was shocked. Then I quietly said thats it is 24 Lakhs. She did a double take and said, "24 lakhs for a bicycle?"

I just can't stop laughing!!

@Guderian Sir,
ho oops, before the General gets angry that I didnt salute him! Heil General! Nice to see your Admiral doing well in the moonsoon. But one question a little OT. Normally Fleet Admirals travel in a Fleet carrier(Aircraft carriers) but then how come your Admiral doesnt roam around in one such thing?
AlphaKilo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2011, 22:12   #775
BHPian

Quote:
Would love to see those snaps. Do post them here at the earliest. Thanks.
PFA the Admiral in the EEH sea...
Sorry only have the backend view of the Admiral

Thanks
f1fan
Attached Thumbnails
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-tfort1.jpg  

Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-tfort.jpg  

Last edited by f1fan : 12th June 2011 at 22:14.
f1fan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2011, 22:44   #776
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 559453

Attachment 559461
Hello General,

Can you please share some information on the below snaps posted in your latest update -

Q : Beautiful pic, where exactly is this place ? (04th from top pic) If I want to visit this place from Pune, how to reach this lake ?

C : What was the visibility ? (in mtrs.), am eager to know because I can't see anything even within one mtr. distance in this snap (last one). May be you were confident of your size (T-Fort I mean)

Last edited by AvonA7 : 12th June 2011 at 22:47. Reason: edit
Old 12th June 2011, 22:52   #777
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Knee high water must have been like bathtub for your machine! But, you got to drive in the blinding rain at-least! For many years I have had this wish, to drive in the pouring rainfall, but it has never come true. Firstly Pune has too little rainfall compared to Mumbai and secondly whenever I start out, the rain stops

Anyways, nice to hear your beast is doing well. Hope to hear more and more updates!
Hi W.A.G.7, Been quite sometime !
Was actually worried about the water depth - keeping in mind my quip about the measuring tape, earlier. But then it was unnecessary as the Admiral gently went through some of the deeper ones as well without much of a drama. Of course the full time AWD is a boon. And not that a hardy 4X2 like the Scorp couldn't do it equally well too.

Yes, driving in heavy rains is a pleasurable activity provided one drives safely and has taken all precautions.

I have noticed that it never rains when I step out with an umbrella, so what you could do is to step out without your umbrella and when the heavens open up jump into your vehicle and start driving !

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Hi Guderian,

1. Nice snaps there and as I can see you are enjoying your car very much.

2. Just one query, Have you done some under body anti rust treatment for your car to protect it from severe Mumbai Monsoons?

I am too planning to get it done for my ANHC though monsoon is yet to hit Delhi/NCR.
Hi bluevolt,

1. Thanks. But 'car' ?!!

2. As mentioned in one of my earlier posts had the Wurths treatment done for the Admiral by the dealer at the time of the delivery. It costed me Rs. 6.5 K. Had it been done outside should have been around Rs 5 K. For the ANHC it should be much cheaper.
Later on noticed that the accessories chaps of the dealer hadn't done a thorough job and so had them to do it again, thoroughly this time with me around and a gun to their heads !

Quote:
Bob Christo anyone?

Ha ha ha ! Good one dot.
I can certainly see the couldron on the boil and most certainly should be seeing the TFort soon I guess !

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
I just can't stop laughing!!

@Guderian Sir,
ho oops, before the General gets angry that I didnt salute him! Heil General! Nice to see your Admiral doing well in the moonsoon. But one question a little OT. Normally Fleet Admirals travel in a Fleet carrier(Aircraft carriers) but then how come your Admiral doesnt roam around in one such thing?
AK - come in !
Been a longtime. Trust you are enjoying your German sojourn well !
OT:
Well, an Admiral can choose to fly his flag on whichever ship he likes by way of a tactic/message and that becomes the fleet flag ship. And in this case the cruiser was far more powerful and punchier than the aircraft carrier !

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
PFA the Admiral in the EEH sea...
Sorry only have the backend view of the Admiral

Thanks
f1fan
Hi f1fan,
Many thanks for the effort/s.
Those snaps look really great. The Admiral in action - rare ones for my collection.
Super !
Old 12th June 2011, 23:02   #778
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Thanks. But 'car' ?!!
Oh ya, 'The Admiral', will take care next time.

Quote:
Later on noticed that the accessories chaps of the dealer hadn't done a thorough job and so had them to do it again, thoroughly this time with me around and a gun to their heads !
I guess the guys must have provided warranty for the job and as far as I know the inspection is to be done at least once in six months.

Quote:
It costed me Rs. 6.5 K. Had it been done outside should have been around Rs 5 K. For the ANHC it should be much cheaper.
Yes, I think it will be somewhere around 2-4K for ANHC depending on brand and place.
Old 12th June 2011, 23:50   #779
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvonA7 View Post
Hello General,

1. The Thane Creek from the bypass ramp:

Q : Beautiful pic, where exactly is this place ? (04th from top pic) If I want to visit this place from Pune, how to reach this lake ?

2.The old boy held his ground well. Wipers deployed in hi-speed mode acted well.

C : What was the visibility ? (in mtrs.), am eager to know because I can't see anything even within one mtr. distance in this snap (last one). May be you were confident of your size (T-Fort I mean)
Hi AvonA7,
Thanks.
1. This is not a lake really but a creek and I must warn you that it is no picnic or scenic spot even during the best of times. Despite what you see in the snap. But yes, rains transforms the place magically.
But if you do want to drive around these parts - come to Thane from Pune and take the road to Kalwa and then on to Mumbra and the bypass.
Should you need more details - send me an PM shall let you have them.

2. Nice. Was wondering if anyone would pop that Q !

The visibility was less than 5 meters at that point of time. I had stopped to the side of the road, to capture that moment. It was done with the wiper in intermittent slow mode (just for the shot), and shot taken just before a swipe. And of course the hazard lights on.

I believe that one has to be very cautious in such treacherous conditions irrespective of the size of the vehicle. For your own sake and for the other users of the road. When we started again and proceeded ahead, it was at a very slow speed, what with the heavy downpour and shrieking winds buffeting Admiral !

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
1. Oh ya, 'The Admiral', will take care next time.

2. I guess the guys must have provided warranty for the job and as far as I know the inspection is to be done at least once in six months.
1. Oh no no, dear chap. Not the name. But calling an SUV of this kind a 'car' is a sacrilege from a purist's point of view. Not that language-wise you were off the mark.
And yes, the name comes next. Wink !

2. That is correct. You get a warranty card and the warranty is for 5 years with free inspection and servicing every six months or so. Not that it is really required.

Last edited by Guderian : 12th June 2011 at 23:55.
Old 13th June 2011, 03:11   #780
Senior - BHPian

@Guderian sir,

Heil General. Yes Germany is fine. Post is safe and secure sir. Nice to see the Admiral take on the seas, one question(as usual), its under rains so any issues of the hull reacting to oxidization, underbody? Any kheech kheech sounds? how are you managing to keep the lubricants in place with knee high waters? Is the cruiser is put under special maintenance schedules?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks