Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2011, 23:35   #556
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Roadie View Post
1. @ guderian, lovely read as usual, have actually eaten tandoori pigeon Egyptian style and it is quite good, I'd rate it between Chicken and Duck meat =P.
2. Managed to clock 5000 kms in the Scorp finally and she will be going in for her first service tomorrow, although I have typed a lot for my ownership review, am awaiting an opportunity to click some snaps before I start posting and that is something I just can't do in my building or everyone in my society will think that I have lost it.
Hi Rohan,
1. Thank you very much indeed. On both counts - for the kind words and having eaten a pigeon or two or more. Should you need plenty more - say about enough to last you a lifetime of chomping slurping - please feel free to ask. Will be delivered home free of charge !

2. Awaiting that report eagerly. Would love to read about the new 4X4 MHaHas on the road and the tough tests they are put to and the outcomes.
Incidentally my housing colony guys have already given up on me - both in terms of Sunday cleaning and taking snaps. Not just any snap but snaps from odd angles !

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I don't think I have commented on this thread before. But Kudos Sir to you. What a comprehensive review. The Fortuner will truly last you a decade easily, that is if you do keep it that long.

Also noticed your crib about there being no usb/ipod source. Something like this should set that right -
USA SPEC: iPod to Vehicle Interfaces

I only wish I could also spend a few hours with my V6 every week. But its parked in the basement with terrible lighting, and if I bring it out and park it all the building drivers would stare and wonder why a kid is fiddling about with his car for so long. Check out my thread, you may like it.
Hi Akshay, Many thanks for coming by and for the warm words. Let's see how long I am able to hang on to the Admiral. I have been a long termer as far as vehicles are concerned: Zen - 8 years, Scorp: 5.5 years...but yes, the Scorp could have lasted for another 5 years - but then age and the boredom factor was fast catching up !

Thanks for the link on the iPod fix - shall certainly have a look at it, as well as your thread on the Accord.

Last edited by Guderian : 9th May 2011 at 23:37.
Old 10th May 2011, 03:40   #557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Thanks for the link on the iPod fix - shall certainly have a look at it, as well as your thread on the Accord.
His thread is actually really good. I remember stumbling across it when I was looking at the thread for euthusiasts cars for 6L or less. Considered the Accord for dad, but then went in for a W124.

And I wish I was as particular as you when it came to keeping my car clean under the hood. That is the only place where my driver doesn't clean. All other surfaces of all my cars are regularly attended to and look as good as they can. I think I'm going to start pestering him to do that now. Or I might start doing it on my own. But my car is parked in the open so it is much harder to spend hours cleaning it, you have the advantage because of your enclosed space.

About the fuel filling practices, I follow the same practices in terms of getting off at the pump and ensuring that the fuel is filled slowly. But I have to get off anyway because my German steed doesn't like the fuel too much so I have to give him medicine (IFTEX System G) all the time. My dad also does the same because he can't stand anyone touching the car without him checking exactly what they're doing. Besides he can't see the zero while he's sitting in the car.

On a related note, I remember that when I was a kid, I always used to get off the car at the fuel station. The main reason being that I loved the smell of petrol (and still do). Old habits die hard eh?
Old 10th May 2011, 15:00   #558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post

1. And I wish I was as particular as you when it came to keeping my car clean under the hood. That is the only place where my driver doesn't clean. All other surfaces of all my cars are regularly attended to and look as good as they can.

2. I think I'm going to start pestering him to do that now.

3. Or I might start doing it on my own.

4. But my car is parked in the open so it is much harder to spend hours cleaning it, you have the advantage because of your enclosed space.

5. About the fuel filling practices, Old habits die hard eh?
Hi Viraat,

1. As far as I am concerned, cleaning the engine bay has now become some kind of a weekly fix. On the rare occasions (once or twice or so over all these years) I had missed it - I mentally felt as though there was something missing, a great uneasy feeling through out the week, the sense that the vehicle wasn't just the same etc etc. So a force of habit really !

2. I should think not... I wouldn't do that. However good the driver, things could go terribly wrong if you are not careful in there. A tug of some wire or snarled cloth bit being yanked out etc could make life miserable. If there is no love for the engine while cleaning it, could mess up many things.

3.That, indeed, would be much better.

4. Hey ! After a point of time the Sun beats down on me too very hard...but I am rather unmindful of that fact. But then you could start very early. Say at the crack o' dawn - 5.30 am and by 7.00 you should be done - for the size of the engine on the German steed. That's all it would take really. And the rest of the vehicle would be done by vahan chalak.

5. You bet. Even now whenever I see an Army vehicle near by all I do is to go around and smell it. The smell of the canvas, equipment (and in some senior officer's vehicle - smell of Brasso !), grease, leather straps, fuel/lube barrels etc stirs up strong memories of childhood, growing up and it transports me to a different world altogether !
Like the new car smell spray is there any chance of getting an AVS (Army Vehicle Smell) spray ?!!
Ahh...those Jongas, jeeps, one tonners, three tonners, Shaktimans...so fragrant !

Last edited by Guderian : 10th May 2011 at 15:09.
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2011, 22:03   #559
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Viraat,

1. As far as I am concerned, cleaning the engine bay has now become some kind of a weekly fix... So a force of habit really !

2. I should think not... could mess up many things.

3.That, indeed, would be much better.

4. Hey! After a point of time the Sun beats down on me too... And the rest of the vehicle would be done by vahan chalak.

5. You bet... those Jongas, jeeps, one tonners, three tonners, Shaktimans...so fragrant !
1. Hmmm.. But it is a good force of habit!

2. I think it'll be fine. He's a trusty chap and I have good faith in him. Besides, he's the type who would rather have work to do than nothing at all.

3. 5.30 AM? You army chaps are gutsy! I usually sleep around 4 AM!

4. Haven't riden any of those apart from the Army Gypsy. Oh and the BMP! (I'm sure you know what it is.)
Old 11th May 2011, 09:18   #560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post

1.I usually sleep around 4 AM!

2. Haven't riden any of those apart from the Army Gypsy.
1. Then the timing suggested is perfect for you - just reverse the meridians - 5.30 to 7.00 pm !

2. Funnily the vehicles I had mentioned were all the old timers and the real gutsy ones with very little or no comforts etc. The Gypsy was a much later addition really. Post 80's. Can never forget the Jongas (Nissan Patrol) and the 1 tonners (Nissan 4W73) - almost grew up in them !

Last edited by Guderian : 11th May 2011 at 09:23.
Old 11th May 2011, 15:36   #561
Senior - BHPian

Glad tidings !

Just received a cheque for Rs 30,368/- towards my No Claim Bonus Refund from Bharati Axa on Admiral Togo's insurance amount transferred from Guderian the Scorpio, my earlier ride, now sold.
The original insurance amount was Rs 76,494/-. With this refund the effective insurance amount for the Admiral would be - Rs. 46,126/-.

Having done it the first time - and all by myself, here is the process for those of you who may want to know. Reason I am recounting the same here is because there were enough guys (at the Scorpio dealer's insurance dept etc) giving all kinds of wrong information. So having gone through the trials and tribulations...

The process suprisingly is simple though.

And so here are the steps - this for a NCB refund after purchasing the new vehicle and selling the old vehicle at a later date:

1. Purchased the new TFort with new insurance at full premium. Insurance from Bharati Axa.

2. Sold old vehicle. Delivery note received from car broker. Car broker given original RC documents and insurance policy - Oriental Insurance.

3. RTO transfers vehicle to new owner, insurance company transfers policy to new owner - issues fresh policy document.

4. Copy of transferred RC book (smart card) and new insurance policy of Scorpio taken from broker.

5. New RC book copy (of Scorpio) and copy of the new policy (of Scorpio) submitted to the Oriental Insurance under a cover note asking for the No Claim Bonus certificate.

6. NCB certificate received from Oriental.

7. NCB certificate (original), transferred RC book and insurance policy copies of Scorpio and delivery note received from car broker given (under a covering letter seeking NCB refund) to Toyota dealership to be sent to Bharati Axa.

NCB certificate is valid for 3 years after sale of the old vehicle.

The refund cheque was received in about 25 days after submission of all documents.

Smile.

Smile again !

Some of the wrong bits of information received :

1. No insurance company will give you a refund once you have paid the full amount/premium.

2. NCB transfer will be applicable only from next year/after first year of new vehicle if you sell your old vehicle later.

3. Sell your old vehicle first and then go for a new one to get benefit of NCB transfer.

And blah...blah.

What a load of croc I'd say !

Hurrah !

Last edited by Guderian : 11th May 2011 at 15:56.
Guderian is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th May 2011, 16:17   #562
BHPian

That is a very useful information shared.
By any chance is it applicable only for the first owner of the sold car ?
Is it applicable only if there is no claim for the vehicle in its whole history, or for the year when the old car is sold with no claims ?

Last edited by BulZire : 11th May 2011 at 16:20.
Old 11th May 2011, 18:22   #563
Senior - BHPian

@Guderian - This is very useful information. So party time i guess

Eventhough i don't have any experience of this transaction I find it difficult to believe that you got the money in 25 days of submission of the documents to T-Fort dealer.

How many phone follow ups were required? Any connections at the right places used to get it fast?
Old 11th May 2011, 19:42   #564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulZire View Post
That is a very useful information shared.
1. By any chance is it applicable only for the first owner of the sold car ?
2. Is it applicable only if there is no claim for the vehicle in its whole history, or for the year when the old car is sold with no claims ?
Hi BulZire, Yes indeed it was quite an experience for me and a learning experience.
1. No, even subsequent owners can avail of it.

2. Whatever is the % NCB in the year of sale of the vehicle the same is transferred to the new vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
How many phone follow ups were required? Any connections at the right places used to get it fast?
Hi Amit, Thanks.
No hard follow ups required really. Just called up twice to see if everything was fine - they required an additional document once which was given and the other time was told that the weather was fine and Sun bright etc.
And no connections either.

Party time ? I am still panting, trying to get over the amount paid and recouping every month. Gaaad - you had to remind me about it !
Old 12th May 2011, 09:52   #565
Senior - BHPian

An extremely good, pithy, no nonsense review ! Shamelessly lifted from Manuuj's thread but just couldn't resist.

Just in case some folks missed it on Manuuj's thread.

Range Rover Vs Pajero Vs Toyota Fortuner - by Manuuj:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post

As far as ownership experience goes all are a pleasure to own except the Mhawk as it seems to develop problems at a regular pace..if its not busy getting stolen that is.

An ownership experience extends to many thing right from buying the vehicle, enjoying its performance, experiencing its after sales support, cost of maintainence and finally ease of disposal.

In that respect each one has some points over the other.

I'm talking strictly about the Range Rover, Pajero and Fortuner here.

The Range Rover is a fantastic vehicle both on and off the road. It has huge reserves of Power (272 bhp and 620 Nm of torque) but is equally thirsty too. It is very very expensive to maintain. Just having them open the bonnet will cost you about the same as a major service of a Fortuner!

It depreciates quickly and may be difficult to get a good price in resale due to the high cost of maintainence.

The Pajero does not have very good After Sales, seems underpowered and a bit outdated inside. But it has a fantastic suspension, bulletproof reliability and is fairly easy to maintain also.

Its fuel economy is more than than the Range Rover but less than the Fortuner at around 10 kmpl.

Its goodish on the road but its off road performance is legendary.

It will be fairly easy to sell and will command a fair price also.

The Fortuner is a winner in my view. It has:

Very good performance both on and off the road (less than the the Range Rover though, but definitely better than the Pajero on the road atleast) ,

Bulletproof reliability,

Good fuel consumption ( for its size and all wheel drive system),

A gem of an engine (the heart of any vehicle),

Fantastic dealer network and after sales support,

Cheapest to maintain among the three (Under Rs.12,500 spent in 30,000 kms),

Will hold its value well and will have people queuing up to buy a well maintained second hand example (much like the my Qualis),

So i feel the Fortuner is the overall winner and im not biased as i have all three.

Thanks Manuuj !

Would I have reproduced this here if the review were not as favourable to TFort ? Yes I would have. It would have only added objectivity of the thread.
But now that this review is very favourably disposed towards the TFort - it further adds to the objectivity. And of course makes me feel delighted upon realising once again that I did not err while picking up the T-Fort.

Not that I could/can afford the Range Rover ! But had thought of the Pajero almost a year ago...
Old 13th May 2011, 10:45   #566
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Just received a cheque for Rs 30,368/- towards my No Claim Bonus Refund from Bharati Axa on Admiral Togo's insurance amount transferred from Guderian the Scorpio, my earlier ride, now sold.
I received the new policy document (called endorsed policy) - the number etc remains the same - but the premium calculations have changed.

A quick clarification here.

The new document shows the endorsemet date as April 27, 2011. (Another date of 27 th !)

In the entire process I lost about Rs 6335/-.

The same worked out as follows:
Original premium paid - Rs. 76,494/-
New premium as per document - Rs. 39,791/-
NCB refunded - Rs. 30,368/-

Difference - Rs. 6335/-

So where did this difference go is what I asked the B-Axa Area Manager, who was helpful throughout the process, who explained that as the documents were submitted and processed in April and the endorsement completed on April 27 - the amount of premium calculated for the period from original date of policy (Feb 23) to date of endorsement (April 27) worked out to be this amount. This was calculated on the original premium rate without the NCB.
Meaning the No Claim Bonus % is deducted from the original premium - is calculated only from the date of endorsement.

Question here is - is this as per standard IDRA guidelines ? The AM assured me, orally, it is...but no harm asking the gurus here !

Also if it is so - then the learning here is after the sale of the old vehicle rush through the paper work and submit to get the maximum benefits of the NCB in the current year. From the next year of course you'll get the standard applicable NCB % deduction.
Old 13th May 2011, 13:20   #567
Senior - BHPian

Good info that you have provided, Guderian! And that is a significant NCB refund!

As for your query, I suppose you can post it in this thread for a quicker response from experts!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ce-ask-me.html
Ace F355 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2011, 13:43   #568
BHPian

Quote:
An extremely good, pithy, no nonsense review ! Shamelessly lifted from Manuuj's thread but just couldn't resist.

Just in case some folks missed it on Manuuj's thread.

Not that I could/can afford the Range Rover ! But had thought of the Pajero almost a year ago...
Thank you Sir, I am honored that you think of my post as worthy of reproducing.

..err was goin to say "reproduction worthy" (?) but that may have been misunderstood and cast aspersions on your good character.

Maybe i will reproduce some of your posts also..but then i shall have to copy paste the entire Admiral thread as every entry from you is a gem.

Look forward to more pictures and articles on the Ups and Ups of the Admiral!
Manuuj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2011, 17:42   #569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
Good info that you have provided, Guderian! And that is a significant NCB refund!

As for your query, I suppose you can post it in this thread for a quicker response from experts!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ce-ask-me.html
Hi Ace, Thanks for the kind words.

And thanks again for the tip and the link. Have posted it there and am hoping for a quick response !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
Thank you Sir, I am honored that you think of my post as worthy of reproducing.

..err was goin to say "reproduction worthy" (?) but that may have been misunderstood and cast aspersions on your good character.

Maybe i will reproduce some of your posts also..but then i shall have to copy paste the entire Admiral thread as every entry from you is a gem.

Look forward to more pictures and articles on the Ups and Ups of the Admiral!
Thank you Manuuj for all the warm words.
Good character ? You make too many assumptions sir !

And now am looking forward to the weekend - likely an early morning drive in the city and the time to be spent on Sunday with the Admiral !

Last edited by Guderian : 13th May 2011 at 17:44.
Old 14th May 2011, 07:31   #570
BHPian

Greetings General!

Dear Sir, (Or should I say respected sir because of our age difference!)

I have been following Admiral since quite some time (On your thread I mean). Did not get the time to participate earlier but have thoroughly enjoyed your delightful posts.

Good to see 'Admiral' performing 'Admirably' and the fact that he is in good hands. (Or is it the other way round?)

Its funny that we both stay in the same city and have not been able to meet up! That said; I have met many Rif-Rafs on the road still have a subtle desire to meet Admiral!

I owned the MHaHa at one point (which was stolen). Anyways the point being; I would love to catch up some time. Hope you share the same feeling and wont mind the fact that I am just 19!

Quote:
Good character ? You make too many assumptions sir !
A thought: I hope I have not made wrong assumptions about your character!

A request: Please don't make wrong assumptions about my Intentions of meeting Admiral!

Toothless and Admiral: Sundays Await!

Cheers,
Zappex

Last edited by Zappex : 14th May 2011 at 07:53. Reason: None
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks