Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2011, 17:13   #511
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
All these bunkering discussion brought back a very old memory. That too, it occurred when I was taking a siesta today. During childhood days we used refer a petrol pump as "petrol bunk". I knew lots of folks in Cal who used to say this. Never understood why. With the course of time the word went out of usage and out of memory. Feeling good to recover a lost bit. Thanks H.G.
Hi dot, True that than word 'bunk' would have come from the word bunkering - because bunkering was originally used when ships took on coal as fuel to fire the furnaces/boilers and it continued when coal changed to oil to fire the furnaces/boilers.
Of course in my school days all I could think was of 'bunking' which had a far more adventurous feel to it !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
As a long standing habit I usually top up around the half tank mark. Vapourizing never came to my mind, but my reason is that running to a near empty tank will also damage the fuel pump as it would take in muck from the bottom of the tank. Not that it has ever happened to me, but I know of instances in people's cars where the fuel line was chocked on old-ish cars.
Cheers
Hi Ricky, In the earlier days the half tank filling practise used to serve another useful purpose - as told to me by old army hands. It used to prevent rusting of the upper half of the metal/steel fuel tanks if perpetually filled. Because air/vapours could accumulate in the upper half leading to rust flakes being formed and dropping into the fuel.

Resulting in of course, if the dregs of fuel of a near empty tank were sucked in by the pump, choking of the fuel lines . if you remember the earlier vehicles - Ambys, Jeeps etc used to after ceratin point in their life have constant issue of fuel line chokes. So much so that fauji vehicles always used to have neatly stencilled on their fuel tanks date of last tank cleaning, due date of next cleaning etc ! They had to infact get the insides painted/ corrosion proofed through a method.
However with the advent of use of heavy duty plastic in most of the mordern day vehicles - the issue of rusting of fuel tanks may have been sorted out, but in India the issue of sediments in the fuel still remains. This was mentioned by you. Basically muck which comes in through fuel, dirty fuel bunk nozzles and stuff. That still could choke the lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Roadie View Post
@ Guderian
Aha so good to hear the word bunkering, since my dad and I are sailors, that's the only word we use. Really good tips on the refueling front, we follow the same practice, except that we end up refueling late at night, instead of early morning. Very true about tanking up when the needle is at the halfway mark, had noticed that due to self observation a few years ago only to realize it was a known fact among enthusiasts.
Aha there Rohan ! I thought that should evoke a response from you and it did.
Trust the foot's mending well and the Scorpio is all set to roll.
Old 2nd May 2011, 17:34   #512
Senior - BHPian

Hi Folks,
The 3 part post/s on the Sunday capers (May 1, 2011) including the vintage car rally/ meet (HVOCT - Thane) has been moved to the Vintage section for the benefit of members interested only in Vintage cars

Here is the link:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post2335430

Have responded to some of your posts there.
Have fun !
Old 2nd May 2011, 18:12   #513
Senior - BHPian

@Guderian
just read about the T-Fort boot camp.
Its suppose to come to mumbai around now.
Any news on that? Or an invite from toyota?
Old 2nd May 2011, 18:59   #514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
@Guderian
just read about the T-Fort boot camp.
Its suppose to come to mumbai around now.
Any news on that? Or an invite from toyota?
Hi mdsaab, I read from Nilanjan's thread that the Bangalore boot camp was done and over with a few days ago.
What I also recollect is that Mumbai boot camp was organised some months ago.
So as of now all is quiet on the western front ! No invites or anything as of now.
Old 2nd May 2011, 21:29   #515
Senior - BHPian

@Guderian

Thanks for acknowledging my "knowledge" I am honoured to say the least !! I think not all vehicles YET come with plastic tanks, so the problems persist. Though I do not have statistics or data to support my statement....BUT I have this feeling nonetheless !! Correct me if I am wrong !

Cheerio
Old 2nd May 2011, 21:38   #516
BHPian

@ Guderian
The foot is in a decent state now, infact will go on my first drive to the Port of Pipava, beyond Bhavnagar in Gujarat this Thursday and the Hawk should cross 5000 kms by the time she returns. If time permits will also be able to take pics this weekend and start off with my ownership report.
Will be attaching a support to my left foot to unload the ankle and it brings back memories of the movie, 'How to Train your Dragon'.

Edit
Really nice pics of the classic cars

Last edited by Off Roadie : 2nd May 2011 at 22:02.
Old 3rd May 2011, 00:17   #517
Senior - BHPian

Delhi/NCR is next. They will probably hold the camp over a couple of weekends, given the proliferation of SUVs there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hi mdsaab, I read from Nilanjan's thread that the Bangalore boot camp was done and over with a few days ago.
What I also recollect is that Mumbai boot camp was organised some months ago.
So as of now all is quiet on the western front ! No invites or anything as of now.
Old 3rd May 2011, 12:33   #518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
@Guderian

Thanks for acknowledging my "knowledge" I am honoured to say the least !! I think not all vehicles YET come with plastic tanks, so the problems persist. Though I do not have statistics or data to support my statement....BUT I have this feeling nonetheless !! Correct me if I am wrong !

Cheerio
Hi Ricky, Yes some of the tanks are still steel ones. Like my Scorp (CRDe-2005) had a steel tank. I think the current day Scorps also have steel tanks. About the rest ? No idea but more and more of them are moving towards plastic cans !
But then even with plastic cans there is an issue of sedimentation - thanks to muck of various origins getting in !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Roadie View Post
@ Guderian
The foot is in a decent state now, infact will go on my first drive to the Port of Pipava, beyond Bhavnagar in Gujarat this Thursday and the Hawk should cross 5000 kms by the time she returns. If time permits will also be able to take pics this weekend and start off with my ownership report.
Will be attaching a support to my left foot to unload the ankle and it brings back memories of the movie, 'How to Train your Dragon'.

Edit
Really nice pics of the classic cars
Thanks Rohan. Good to hear about the leg and the drive. Looking forward to that thread.
Good luck and have fun on the drive !
Old 3rd May 2011, 12:55   #519
Distinguished - BHPian

"Petrol bunk" is common usage in Bangalore. I use to snigger at the local populace for their "obviously" wrong usage- am duly chastened now. Possibly the cantonment town effect.
Old 3rd May 2011, 21:07   #520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hi Ricky, Yes some of the tanks are still steel ones. Like my Scorp (CRDe-2005) had a steel tank. I think the current day Scorps also have steel tanks. About the rest ? No idea but more and more of them are moving towards plastic cans !
But then even with plastic cans there is an issue of sedimentation - thanks to muck of various origins getting in !

Could not agree with you more ! There are cars with metal tanks and they are going to rust & they are going to take their toll.

Yes we should move to plastic tanks, BUT the fuel quality being what it is - the sediments are going to happen whether we like it or not !!

Cheers

Footnote : are the fuel companies not increasing fuel costs every other day ? Yes they are.....then why not ensure better fuel, why just higher prices ??

Last edited by benbsb29 : 4th May 2011 at 13:51. Reason: Fixed broken quote tag.
Old 4th May 2011, 02:31   #521
Senior - BHPian

@Guderian I read in this month's Autocar India that the Bangalore event was to take place last week of April, followed by one to be held in Mumbai, but the dates were not mentioned hence asked if you had any info.

Back to topic ~ Hmm slight OT but can you really go OT on this wonderful and accommodating thread, I think NOT!

Today was crossed by a Black cat while driving, but hey no worries this is one cat you definately want to be crossed by(stop mind drifting) I am speaking of a Jaguar XF, i don't really like black cars but this time i made an exception, absolute drool maal. So why is this posted on @Guderian's thread?
Well when the Jag passed i noticed it was driven by a chauffeur, and that he was wearing gloves.

So we all know very well how @Guderian maintains the Admiral. I feel the Admiral is now even more Spic and Span then the day he was driven home from the showroom.

So i was just thinking does @Guderian have a pair of gloves stashed in the glovebox which he slips on before driving off? i thought for a good few minutes, but then thought NO. I don't think so. How can you be in sync with your vehicle with those big gloves on, you need to feel the steering to feel that bond between you and her/him.

Thinking further ~
If @Guderian does ever hire a driver, for whatever reason. You will surely find him wearing not only gloves but a whole lot of protective gear. No not for the driver, but to protect the Admiral.

I know i would.

Protect your loved ones, Drive Safe!
Old 4th May 2011, 06:55   #522
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So i was just thinking does @Guderian have a pair of gloves stashed in the glovebox which he slips on before driving off? i thought for a good few minutes, but then thought NO. I don't think so. How can you be in sync with your vehicle with those big gloves on, you need to feel the steering to feel that bond between you and her/him.

Actually, he told me when we met up that he never leaves home without his gloves . Uses them for his DIY tinkering around the engine and underchassis which can get quite dusty/greasy. Doesn't use 'em while driving though.
Old 4th May 2011, 12:10   #523
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Actually, he told me when we met up that he never leaves home without his gloves . Uses them for his DIY tinkering around the engine and underchassis which can get quite dusty/greasy. Doesn't use 'em while driving though.
You don't say. I too had a pair of gloves for when i was tinkering around the engine and underbody. Those were the good ol' Matiz days. But driving with them gloves on. NO WAY!
Old 4th May 2011, 15:55   #524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If @Guderian does ever hire a driver, for whatever reason.
Hire a driver ? Over my dead body...
And if at all I do, those gloves would be to slip on and choke the fellow when he shows signs of poor driving - which I am sure he will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Haha...stiff, starched gloves eh ?!!

Quote:
You don't say. I too had a pair of gloves for when i was tinkering around the engine and underbody. Those were the good ol' Matiz days. But driving with them gloves on. NO WAY!
Oh - you should try driving in a pair of white, starched gloves and keep your nose in the air and look at the other denizens of the road not by craning or twisting your neck but just by rolling your eyes or from the corner of your eyes, eye lids in a half closed mode, mandatory that the right side of your upper lip should be curled upwards - it will give you a totally different feel and mental complex. Even though you may be driving a Civic and physically feeling as though your bottom is scraping all the dung heaps, mentally you'll feel as though you are viewing low life sitting in a Viceroy's coach.

Ahhh...the power of white gloves !

Koi hai ?

Last edited by Guderian : 4th May 2011 at 15:58.
Old 5th May 2011, 19:36   #525
Senior - BHPian

Guderian,

My trip dates are now June 4 - 12, in case you are interested in joining.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks