Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2011, 18:00   #496
BHPian

Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
I believe in judging a man's personality by the way he treats his car!

I believe that is a line used by Frank (Jason Statham) in one film of the famed Transporter series? Gotcha!

Nonetheless, it is true!
Old 29th April 2011, 22:52   #497
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post

The Formula 1 'Scratch Out' came for Rs. 300 and the F-1 'Car Wax' (polish) came for Rs. 330 after some minor haggling. Just 15 minutes of work saw all the scratches just simply vanish. And with simple clean soft cloth pieces.
I guess i would be needing these tomorrow.

Today had a very frustrating experience. Was waiting at a signal to take a right turn. When the signal was green for the right turn started moving slowly as there were a couple of cars ahead of me. Suddenly the M800 next to me changed his mind and wanted to take the right turn instead of his earlier plans of going straight. And that guy literally blocked my way and in the process brushed his backside (i mean his car's) against my cars front end (just above the left front wheel).

After taking the right turn overtook him and found that he was a very senior citizen driving the car. I was really angry but did not really feel like stopping. He was almost the age of being my grandfather. What could i have possibly said to him. Just drove ahead. Someone had told me this earlier - In pune you own the car only from the inside and not from the outside
Old 30th April 2011, 00:00   #498
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post

What exactly is this solution, chemically???
You can try an all/multi purpose cleaning solution. That will be the closest to this formulation. Not to mention the most important tool - a toothbrush.
Old 30th April 2011, 09:35   #499
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
1. I guess i would be needing these tomorrow.
Today had a very frustrating experience.

2. Just drove ahead.

3. Someone had told me this earlier - In pune you own the car only from the inside and not from the outside
Hi Amit,
1. Extremely sorry to have learnt of this ! Well in India as they say it is not your driving skills that matter but the other bloke's lack of skills !

2. You did extremely well there. A matter of character. Bravo Zulu !

3. Good one.

Say - don't purchase the stuff if you really don't want to. If you coming to Mumbai anytime then I could fix it for you. Any Sunday should be fine. Let me know !

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
You can try an all/multi purpose cleaning solution. That will be the closest to this formulation. Not to mention the most important tool - a toothbrush.
Hi Dot, Wouldn't the hard bristle of the toothbrush be damaging the surface ? Would something softer be advisable ?
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2011, 11:56   #500
Senior - BHPian

Bunkering Stories ! April 30, 2011

bun·ker·ing (bngkr-ng) n. The act or process of supplying a ship with fuel.

(Disclaimer : The above definition or meaning has been solely put up for Landlubbers and 'Bloody Civilians' who are not familiar with the ways of naval ships or mighty seas. And does not in anyway seek to insult the intelligence of those who are well versed with both !)

So on a grey overcast Saturday Mumbai morning when I had to run to the office for a brief period of time, I decided fill fuel along the way and put together a piece that discusses about bunkering (OK, OK fuelling) practices amongst us avid drivers, who take pride in ensuring high FE figures and sense that as a perfect way of indicating a perfectly ticking engine.

And also as a citizen of a nation which prides in asking "Kitna deti hai ?" as a decision point or a make or break factor - whether buying a M'ruti 800 or an army battle tank, ship or one of the Space Shuttles itself ! But in hindsight this habbit or behaviour seems to be extremely forward looking as our auto-industry has reached where it is today, fearing that Q. And so have the MNCs auto-comps that have landed in India. And with the green issues catching up with all things automobile the behaviour now seems to be so ahead of time.

But I digress !

Coming back to the Admiral's bunkering habbits. Since the time I got the TFort, when in the city, I have been filling it up from a BPCL station in Thane. But of course, as previously reported, while I had this issue of difference between the MID and calculated figures the FE figures returned were fairly decent. However I did suspect the metering of the place.

The last two figures from the Thane station were as follows, the earlier difference was much more though:
1. Ave Calculated FE: 12.15 KMPL - MID FE - 12.7 KMPL - Diff: 0.55 KMPL.

2. ACFE: 11.75 - MID FE: 12.3 KMPL - Diff: 0.55 KMPL.
Earlier figures of difference were as high as 0.70 to 0.90 KMPL. I truly wasn't happy at all.

So I decided to experiment and change to the station to which I owed my previous loyalty and know everyone there from the pump attendants and the owner (well sort of nodding acquaintance really !). Have been filling up from this place for the last 12 odd years - but hadn't visited the place since February this year, after the Scorp was decomissioned. This is the BPCL station at Sion.

Filled up from Sion BPCL for the first time with the Admiral about 10 days ago.
And then again today.
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc07265.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc07263.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc07264.jpg

Some of the bunkering practices I follow as far as possible:

1. I fill up my vehicles as soon as the fuel indicator needle touches 1/2 way mark. This of course, indicates a half empty/half full tank. This way prevents some loss of effective fuel through vapour build up. More the empty space in the fuel tank more the vapourisation of fuel.

Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc07266.jpg

Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc07267.jpg

2. Always try and fill up fuel in the morning. You get higher density for the volume. Later on in the day heat causes the fuel which is stored in the bunkers underground to be of lower density index or in lay terms - thin out. This does have an impact on the FE figures.

Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc07270.jpg

3. At the station I ensure that the 'fuel fill speed latch' is always placed on the first notch and not the second or third. Though slow, you don't tank up on much air bubbles which gets gets counted in the flow meter !
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc07268-2.jpg

All filled, burped and I should be off on my way !
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc07271.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc07272.jpg

But if life were that simple...

On the earlier occasion and today, two different sets of crews were manning the station. And these were guys I have been knowing for years. So the inevitable Q's follow. What did I do with the Scorpio ? How much did I pay for the T Fort ? (Just a smile in response...). Why did I chose the T Fort ? Captiva kyon nahi liye ? (Grrrrr...). Another chap chimes in - Nahin, nahin Pajero isse acha hai woh kyon nahin liye ? (Grrrr...). And finally the Supervisor ambles across and mentions - Mithai kab leke ayenge ?
I wanted to mention 'agli baar' but then I said - "Jab Captiva ya Pajero loonga !".
And time to leave. 25 minutes !

And figures show:

1. Ave Calculated FE: 11.93 KMPL - MID FE - 12 KMPL - Diff: 0.07 KMPL.

2. ACFE: 12.26 - MID FE: 12.5 KMPL - Diff: 0.24 KMPL.

The low difference, as compared to the earlier fills, between the ACFE (full tank to full tank method) and MID over two fills from the Sion pump does mean that the TFort has a rather accurate MID and that the difference that could have cropped up earlier was due to the Thane Station's metering or manipulation tricks !

So I get back to the good ol' fuel dump and dump the Thane chaps.
But gosh ! I need to do something about the 'mithai ka dabba' fast !

So do any of you good folks have additional bunkering tips ?

Please do share !
Guderian is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th April 2011, 19:35   #501
dot
Senior - BHPian

Some "bunkering" practices. Even from a BC (Bloody ciVilian, that is) whose kin are practically responsible for the fuel crisis. These practices are mentioned elsewhere also, but cannot resist General's open invitation.

Number one rule. Bite the dust. Come out of the AC cocoon and stand next to the attendant. Dunks out mal-intentions quite a bit.

Number two rule. Slow it down, buddy. Wait for the zero to stop flashing.

Rule three. Ignore all distractions.

Heck, sounds like the bald guy with the black BMW.

Yeah, also the morning filling up bit really works. I do this all the time. Specially in Pune you can still get lower 20s temperature even in this season.

A story, couple of years old.

Went to a rather famous pump in Pune. It was early, I was the only guy around. Attendant quite cheerfully told me that "sada" fuel is not available, "only speed sir". Since this was one of the two pumps I usually go to, didnt want to turn around. So reluctantly agreed. Ikon's thirst was quenched to maximum. Lid was shut when a scooter came happily puttering by and stopped at the next dispensing station. Even more happily the scooter was given "sada" fuel.

Hang on there.

I asked the attendant how come he magically got "sada" ?

"Oh, that dispenser had sada, not this one".

Well, you can imagine the fun I had after that with all the attendants there. Finally they agreed to charge me only "sada" price for the volume of fuel they had dispensed in my car. Which, of course, I agreed to.
dot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2011, 23:11   #502
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Some "bunkering" practices. Even from a BC (Bloody ciVilian, that is) whose kin are practically responsible for the fuel crisis.
Ha ha...noticed your sign tag line...
Sure do agree about getting down and standing by when you are getting your ride bunkered.
That wait for the '0' to stop flashing is a new one for me. Thanks.

Great anecdote on the 'sada' fuel.

Another couple of reasons to step out - I have seen this happening a couple of times. Bada sahib sitting inside the bada gaadi. Flashes a smile and orders the filling up. Pays the cash. The attendant fills and shuts the fuel 'slammer'. After the bada sahib drives off the attendant loudly says - 'Arre fuel cap idharhi bhool gaya! ' Now of course many of the vehicles have a lanyard linked fuel cap. Many still dont !
Also one has to see some of the attendants 'fingering' the fuel 'door', leaning on it etc to believe it. Later on if you find the fuel 'door' not closing properly or jutting out of the body line you know whom to blame - yourself.

So even at the fuel pump you need to be vigilant as dot mentioned. Not just at the ASC !

Last edited by Guderian : 30th April 2011 at 23:13.
Old 1st May 2011, 11:16   #503
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Dot, Wouldn't the hard bristle of the toothbrush be damaging the surface ? Would something softer be advisable ?
Toothbrush bristles will not affect plastic surfaces. It is soft enough for that. A good tool in conjunction with a powerful cleaning solution.
Old 1st May 2011, 12:21   #504
Senior - BHPian

First of all thanks to @guderian and @dot i have nothing more to post on fueling tips. You guys covered it all.

@Guderian, yes the 115 has finally accepted us, but sadly there is no time to dedicate to her, and she is left idle for long. Dad just bought a new battery for her and one of these days hope to pop the battery in and take her for a spin.
Old 1st May 2011, 17:44   #505
Senior - BHPian

On the topic of bunk-er-ing !! Most fuel stations in Gurgaon have "defective" dispensers. The auto-cut will not stay at the slowest dispensation speed, it will only engage at the 2nd or 3rd notch.

We all understand that it is deliberate but what does one do ? Complaining to the manager does not work. Standard reply is "saar company ko complaint likhaya hai - theek karne aatey hi nahin - hum kya karen ?

Once I managed to get to a bunker which did have the dispenser lock in on the slowest position. I insisted on slowest speed to tank up. The attendant tried every excuse in the book & his wildest imagination to make me agree to atleast let him fill at the 2nd notch !! My not relenting made him walk away in disgust to his senior, his senior then tried to tell me "it is not good to fill so slowly saar - other customers will not like it" !!!

Short filling or fastest speed filling is their mantra on making extra money. There seems to be no check on this neither is a complaint entertained - ever !! I have tried.
Old 1st May 2011, 20:39   #506
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Toothbrush bristles will not affect plastic surfaces. It is soft enough for that. A good tool in conjunction with a powerful cleaning solution.
Y'know dot, the reason I mentioned that is because in some of the vehicles the plastics scuff very fast. For example in my old Scorpio the lightest of touches on the interior plastics would leave it scuffed. I had to be very careful - must be due to the quality and kind of plastics used. If I would have used a toothbrush on that it would have resembled, after couple of scrubs, like the hide of an African Elephant going through 'Musth' !
And with the Admiral - I wouldn't dare think of it even !

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
First of all thanks to @guderian and @dot i have nothing more to post on fueling tips. You guys covered it all.

@Guderian, yes the 115 has finally accepted us, but sadly there is no time to dedicate to her, and she is left idle for long. Dad just bought a new battery for her and one of these days hope to pop the battery in and take her for a spin.
Some day I hope to see it and spend some time with it ! Why ? You'll know the reason in a later post here !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
On the topic of bunk-er-ing !! Most fuel stations in Gurgaon have "defective" dispensers. The auto-cut will not stay at the slowest dispensation speed, it will only engage at the 2nd or 3rd notch.

We all understand that it is deliberate but what does one do ? Complaining to the manager does not work. Standard reply is "saar company ko complaint likhaya hai - theek karne aatey hi nahin - hum kya karen ?

Once I managed to get to a bunker which did have the dispenser lock in on the slowest position. I insisted on slowest speed to tank up. The attendant tried every excuse in the book & his wildest imagination to make me agree to atleast let him fill at the 2nd notch !! My not relenting made him walk away in disgust to his senior, his senior then tried to tell me "it is not good to fill so slowly saar - other customers will not like it" !!!

Short filling or fastest speed filling is their mantra on making extra money. There seems to be no check on this neither is a complaint entertained - ever !! I have tried.
Nice ! Thanks for sharing Ricky ! I am sure this too would go into the folks knowledge management repository as a point to look out for, demand placing the latch in notch 1 and in general be vigilant.

What you mentioned about auto cut off sensors not working on notch 1 is absolutely true (not that you aren't always !) as I have faced this sometimes with even resultant overflow - when I have insisted on notch 1 despite the poor attendant's protestations !

Last edited by Guderian : 1st May 2011 at 20:40.
Old 1st May 2011, 20:56   #507
Senior - BHPian

Excellent points on fueling up

I never even thought of the empty tank vapourising the fuel, makes a lot of sense. I also never knew about the knotches in the dispenser

Thanks for making me wiser
Old 1st May 2011, 21:45   #508
dot
Senior - BHPian

All these bunkering discussion brought back a very old memory. That too, it occurred when I was taking a siesta today. During childhood days we used refer a petrol pump as "petrol bunk". I knew lots of folks in Cal who used to say this. Never understood why. With the course of time the word went out of usage and out of memory. Feeling good to recover a lost bit. Thanks H.G.

Quote:

For example in my old Scorpio the lightest of touches on the interior plastics would leave it scuffed. I had to be very careful - must be due to the quality and kind of plastics used.
Thats is entirely possible. I have generously used toothbrushes on Altima, Ikon and Scorponok. It is possible that they were shod with better plastics. No ill effects seen so far.
Old 2nd May 2011, 10:03   #509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
Excellent points on fueling up

I never even thought of the empty tank vapourising the fuel, makes a lot of sense. I also never knew about the knotches in the dispenser

Thanks for making me wiser

As a long standing habit I usually top up around the half tank mark. Vapourizing never came to my mind, but my reason is that running to a near empty tank will also damage the fuel pump as it would take in muck from the bottom of the tank. Not that it has ever happened to me, but I know of instances in people's cars where the fuel line was chocked on old-ish cars.

Cheers
Old 2nd May 2011, 14:51   #510
BHPian

@ Guderian
Aha so good to hear the word bunkering, since my dad and I are sailors, that's the only word we use. Really good tips on the refueling front, we follow the same practice, except that we end up refueling late at night, instead of early morning. Very true about tanking up when the needle is at the halfway mark, had noticed that due to self observation a few years ago only to realize it was a known fact among enthusiasts =p

@ amit wlele
"Someone had told me this earlier - In pune you own the car only from the inside and not from the outside"

So true.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks