Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2011, 15:40   #481
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

I don't talk much to the Fraulein but have been known to apologise to her with a gentle squeeze of her shoulder...well steering wheel anyway after taking over a particularly hard pothole or speed breaker!
Old 27th April 2011, 15:49   #482
BHPian

- Every evening after I drive back home and lock the car, as the indicator blinks 10 seconds later to confirm the lock, I wink back at it.
- At the start of every long journey, I give it a pat on the bonnet.
- And on the completion of every long drive, a kiss on the steering wheel.
Old 27th April 2011, 17:32   #483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
You guys are too mushy!

I usually say 'let's kick some ***, girl' or max 'sorry darling' if I make a mistake.

"____ ______ thank you ma'am" too, if the situation is appropriate e.g. after a really jolting ride :-)
Right - now you have determined that your TFort is a lady/female bison !Though I would seriously check her background/antecedents/activities of the period before she came to you - if she is OK with that kind of language you use !

Good ol' Admiral is...well...an officer and a gentleman and would probably order me to a firing squad if I were to ever use that kind of language !

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I don't talk much to the Fraulein but have been known to apologise to her with a gentle squeeze of her shoulder...well steering wheel anyway after taking over a particularly hard pothole or speed breaker!
Ahh...non verbal signs of affection. Will do Noops as long as there is a bond ! What's a squeeze or two between lovers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by karpusv View Post
- Every evening after I drive back home and lock the car, as the indicator blinks 10 seconds later to confirm the lock, I wink back at it.
- At the start of every long journey, I give it a pat on the bonnet.
- And on the completion of every long drive, a kiss on the steering wheel.
Now we are begining to talk ! Go on, go on...we are awaiting the descriptions of further actions too.
Well done karpusv.
Old 28th April 2011, 10:00   #484
Senior - BHPian

now are we moving into some topic or what!
ofcourse i talk to my cars.
and you will definately see the benefits of doing so too.
not once did our beloved Matiz let us down, despite a serious issues such as the radiator heating up and even throwing out smoke due to some coolant issues. or when her ECU had packed up. Not once did she leave us stranded out on the road. no matter what she took us home safe and sound. I even remember this instance when we were 3 1/2 hours away from Home. the ECU issue cropped up, she could only manage 2nd gear at max and she still brought us home safe and sound. So talking to your car, expressing your love for her, creating that bond between you and her, will only make your relationship with her stronger. and as most relationships you will strive hard to never let one another down.
Live, Love, Drive
Old 28th April 2011, 10:19   #485
Senior - BHPian

A quick update !

Yesterday, April 27, 2011, when I landed up at home saw a brand new RC 'smart card' from RTO Thane, delivered at the residence through the Toyota dealer.

Exactly 60 days from the date of delivery which was Feb 27, 2011. So 27 seems to be a key date for the Admiral.

Checked all the details printed on the RC card - Vehicle registration,VIN & engine numbers, address, vehicle description & type, name of owner, dates of manufacture & issue of certificate, date of issue and validity of RC, manufacturer's details - all found OK. Phew !

My Scorp' s papers when delivered in Sept 2005 had a million mistakes including the fact that it was registered as a non CRDe (when it was a CRDe), 8 seater (when it was a 7er...kept searching for the missing 8th seat for days !) etc. Caused me a spot of bother when selling it but was quickly resolved with the original invoice proof.

So there you have it folks - I am now, truly an owner now of a Toyota Fortuner, BSIV, 7 seater, manufactured by TKML which for the sake of brevity and simplicity of usage is called here, elsewhere and all over as -Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro.

Banzai !
Old 28th April 2011, 10:24   #486
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
now are we moving into some topic or what!
ofcourse i talk to my cars.
and you will definately see the benefits of doing so too.
not once did our beloved Matiz let us down, despite a serious issues such as the radiator heating up and even throwing out smoke due to some coolant issues. or when her ECU had packed up. Not once did she leave us stranded out on the road. no matter what she took us home safe and sound. I even remember this instance when we were 3 1/2 hours away from Home. the ECU issue cropped up, she could only manage 2nd gear at max and she still brought us home safe and sound. So talking to your car, expressing your love for her, creating that bond between you and her, will only make your relationship with her stronger. and as most relationships you will strive hard to never let one another down.
Live, Love, Drive
Way to go mdsaab - again proves the point that your vehicle is a living, breathing and moving being !

Is it then a surpise that when you sell it, whatever be the reason, there is a huge void in your heart that can never be filled up, irrespective of which new vehicle replaces the earlier one ? Even now in my dreams, occasionally, Guderian, the Scorp, appears - taking me around !

But then in life and like any other living thing - vehicles also have a life and they have to move on !

A few words written (Haiku ?) by another Japanese Admiral come to my mind:
"In blossom today, then scattered;
Life is so like a delicate flower.
How can one expect the fragrance to last forever ?"

Admiral Takajiro Onishi, Father of the Kamikaze.

Last edited by Guderian : 28th April 2011 at 10:38.
Old 28th April 2011, 10:48   #487
Senior - BHPian

Ah! Not that I am ever afraid to admit it, but sometimes, it feels good to be in a pack- I do speak to both my bikes and to my car. Apologies and pleasantries were always a part of the equation.

My story goes back a little – When I was in school, I used to pedal a Hero Jet – true to the name, she was a real Jet, and the standard line I used to coax her was – ‘chal danno – aj mera izzath ka sawal hein’.

One habit I carry from those days till now is, before staring any journey and when the journey is finished, I affectionately touch the con-nut of handle of my bike, and center of the steering boss of my car.

Every day morning, I smile to my car\bike and ask ‘shall we start’ before I start the journey, and when the journey is finished, I say a silent prayer for car\bike since (s)he will be in parking lot, waiting for my return.

@Mdsaab: totally agree with you - This happend few years back -Me, my dad and my wifi were off for some temple darshans, and our beloved blackbeauty (Ambassador) developed a leaky heart all of a sudden. We could not plug the gap, and though the oil pressure kept falling steadily, she slolwy took us till the workshop near our home - the place where we always treat her. The moment she reached the workshop, she collapsed.

There are many more like that i can recall from my life, and yeah - the way you keep your relation with your car\bike really matters a lot. Did any one ever said automobiles do not have a soul?

Last edited by theexperthand : 28th April 2011 at 10:54.
Old 28th April 2011, 10:58   #488
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on getting the smart card!
27 works out to number 9 which definately is a lucky number indeed, especially where commitment to each other is concerned.
and you can definately see the commitment from either side here,
Admiral i am sure putting up a 100 watt smile on @Guderian's face every single day.
and @Guderian's TLC Sunday's.
What a relationship!

No i am not a numerology expert or anything of the short. Just some insight from some past experience,
Old 28th April 2011, 11:52   #489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
1. Ah! Not that I am ever afraid to admit it, but sometimes, it feels good to be in a pack- I do speak to both my bikes and to my car. Apologies and pleasantries were always a part of the equation.

2. Did any one ever said automobiles do not have a soul?
Hi teh,
1. Very nice indeed !
2. I guess nobody mentioned that...but more to inform ourselves again and the other disbelievers that - Hey ! Those are beauties with souls that you are driving/riding/handling...treat them with care, will you ?

Quote:
Congratulations on getting the smart card!
27 works out to number 9 which definately is a lucky number indeed, especially where commitment to each other is concerned.
and you can definately see the commitment from either side here,
Admiral i am sure putting up a 100 watt smile on @Guderian's face every single day.
and @Guderian's TLC Sunday's.
What a relationship!

No i am not a numerology expert or anything of the short. Just some insight from some past experience,
Thank you sir !
Old 28th April 2011, 19:36   #490
Distinguished - BHPian

What a coincidence, G. I got my RC book today as well! It must be nice being a Toyota customer: I had to go fetch it myself. Truth be told my sales rep *had* offered to courier it across but I told 'em I will go get it since I don't trust the local courier lads!

Checked my name (it was misspelled in my Accent registration and it got my craw everytime I looked at it!) and the engine, chassis no., address seemed OK. Need to scan and scatter copies around as I normally do.

Any summer plans for the Admiral? Some sea air for the old dog, eh?
Old 29th April 2011, 10:46   #491
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
1.What a coincidence, G. I got my RC book today as well! It must be nice being a Toyota customer: I had to go fetch it myself. Truth be told my sales rep *had* offered to courier it across but I told 'em I will go get it since I don't trust the local courier lads!

Checked my name (it was misspelled in my Accent registration and it got my craw everytime I looked at it!) and the engine, chassis no., address seemed OK. Need to scan and scatter copies around as I normally do.

2. Any summer plans for the Admiral? Some sea air for the old dog, eh?
Hi Noops,
1. Congratulations !
The Toyota dealer chaps have been very sweet on these matters and everything seems to be home delivered by their own chaps. Not sure whether this is a 'T-Fort' thing or across all products.
Well, even the M&M dealer had dropped everything home.
Must be also the fact that 'home' is close to all the dealerships or else it could have been a case of couriering I guess.

Other learning is that the document details (every single item) should be checked on the invoice, RC book/card and the insurance papers. Or else it could cause you much grief at a later point of time !

2. Summer - Ahhh...still mulling ! Mountain air for the ol' dawg would do it good, I 'reckin' !
Old 29th April 2011, 10:55   #492
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
@Ace F355, nice ensemble.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
II also use an unlisted and very dangerous inhouse developed cleaning solution for the removing very adamant stains on interior plastic parts with a toothbrush. The reason it is dangerous because it can decolorize metal paint. But very good for plastics though.
What exactly is this solution, chemically???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
1. Well sir - as an officer and a gentleman the Admiral is hardly wild and is honour bound to protect a lady on the roads. So do tell the Lady Shark not to quiver in her skirts when she sees the gallant Admiral around. But of course the Admiral doesn't speak for other TForts driven by the general rif raffs on the roads.
Haha, I really wish the world was that simple, General. In Haryana/Delhi (ala SUV crazy places), people owning them seem to believe they have more rights than most other road users! As you rightly said, general rif raffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
First of all a big thanks for the pic as it saved me the trouble!
Glad to be of some help, Manuuj!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
it is heartening to note that there are other nutters like me who have more Car Care Products than Self Care Products.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
How many of you communicate with/talk to your vehicles ?!!
Be honest !
I believe in judging a man's personality by the way he treats his car!

Some of us do have these strange connections with our vehicles, don't we!

My favorite dialogue after a hard run with my shark - Good little car! (*goes out and pets his Civic!)
Old 29th April 2011, 11:16   #493
Senior - BHPian

@theexperthand
coming to the do vehicles have a soul topic.
We had never bought a pre owned car before.
But when it comes to a classic there isnt much choice now is there. Unless your great grandparents owned one. We took a test drive of a white 115 / 8 Mercedes Benz. Not once but a couple of times. I wanted to be sure i could handle a column shift. Everything was just fine with her.
The day we completed all the formalities and brought her home. I parked her in the garage and boy was she crying or what. Coolant spilling all over the garage. And from that day began the perks of owning a german classic ~ the regular visits to the workshop. And so the saga continues.
But judging by the way she wept on leaving the previous owner showed that bond that she had with them. So yeah definately cars do have a soul.
Old 29th April 2011, 11:37   #494
Senior - BHPian

@mdsaab: i agree, i agree. IMHO, Automobiles are the most 'closest to human' mechanical invention by human kind - be it look wise, function wise or soul wise. I see my bikes and cars as breathing, living, emotional beings - and many a times, they are better than many human beings.

Have no experience with classics, (I know the time I spent ogling at posts by @Harit, @karlosdeville et al doesn't count)- but have experience with couple of old bulls. I was returning from a long ride and met a good friend on the way - he is a seasoned Bullet rider - he had never ridden anything other than a bull, and is riding same bull for about 2 decades or more - after admiring my bull for couple of minutes, he sat on the saddle and tried to kick start her, and nothing happened. He tried couple of times and then I sat and she came to life in first kick. After that, I sat on his bike, and tried to kick start her - same story - couple of kicks, and nothing happened. He sat on the bike and she came to life in just one kick. Some of them gems are really loyal to those who take care of them eh
Old 29th April 2011, 14:34   #495
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
1. I believe in judging a man's personality by the way he treats his car!

2. My favorite dialogue after a hard run with my shark - Good little car! (*goes out and pets his Civic!)
1. Well put Ace - always believed that look at the state of a guy's car and predict his outlook towards life !

2. Great...glad to discover more of my tribesmen here !

Quote:
But judging by the way she wept on leaving the previous owner showed that bond that she had with them. So yeah definately cars do have a soul.
Has the Merc adopted you guys yet or is she still pining for the old masta ?!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
1. I see my bikes and cars as breathing, living, emotional beings - and many a times, they are better than many human beings.

2. Some of them gems are really loyal to those who take care of them eh
1. Bravo ! Couldn't have put it better m'self ! Siiigh - aren't vehicles so much more managable ? If only humans could behave like vehicles !

2. Well I had a two wheeler during college days behaving exactly like how you've described.
Read something about it here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-w...01-suvega.html

This was a moped called Suvega - my first very own motorised wheels. The beauty of this creature was that no one else could start it except me ! Try as they would - no go. Of course I never allowed anyone to go anywhere near it but in the rare instances of a college mate or someone trying to be helpful and starting it in advance - just wouldn't start ! It required me to pedal it - half a pedal push and it would purrr to life.
Those days I thought it was technique - now I know better. It was bonding & soul and the fact that the spunky lil' thing just about hated anyone one trying to mess with it.
Ahhh...memories of the glorious escapades with the Suvega during the college days in Bangalore ! And equally importantly Bangalore of yore.

Last edited by Guderian : 29th April 2011 at 14:42.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks