Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2011, 10:36   #361
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Hey !! It seems you are quite apt at the pliyyar & liyyar kind of hinglish as wellji Seems like you have been in North India as well ji !! I think you must be hiring & firing with great finesse !! As you are able to kind of get into the skin of the charakter-ji
(Please note - I just totally overlooked the NCS issue !! )
Cheerio
Rickyji, Please to be noting that being a fauji brat has its advantagesji. Lived in sada('our' as in Punju not 'rotten' as in Hindi) Dilli for 7 years when in bachpan and worked there for 2 years when in jawani. Of courseji, jawani still continues, dan't faarget.
And noted twada point on missing the NCS requirement. Par Rickyji bhagoge kahan ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Dot why are you holding the ORVM in your hand. I hope you don't have to drive with your hand outside of the car to get the rear view.
Shhh...Amit !
Old jungle saying - Ask no embarassing questions, hear no lies !

Well has a lot of uses otherwise too when in this condition of disassembly.

1. Check body parts that are normally not visible - of the car and the owner.

2. Check underbody rusting parts - Car and owner.

3. Check bald spots - Owner and tyres.

4. Check teeth inners - owner only.

5. Check nose liners - owner only.

And so on...and remember using this ORVM to check body parts is very benefitial. Because it constantly warns you - "Objects in mirror are closer('bigger') than they appear" !
So you feel relieved !

Last edited by Technocrat : 14th April 2011 at 22:44. Reason: Please use multiquote options instead of creating back to back posts, thanks
Old 14th April 2011, 11:39   #362
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Unfortunately @dot had his mirror dislodged by a biker. But the good news is he got it back up again. Amd on his own. To top it, he even shared how its done on the honda civic maintainence thread. What a guy. Thanks buddy.
Yesterday while shopping at ^Spar i landed up at their car accesories section. Happened to notice a hanging type air freshner which had a leather fragrance. No i am not going to try it out. But if you want one would be happy to send it. No exchange rate no terms and conditions.
Coming back to the forts mirrors ~ can you imagine toyota actually making a recall for the error.
Headlines would read. Toyota recalls missing S. Missing S to be added to all toyotas.glad that you are getting over it now. Else toyota would have been forced to go in for a recall.
Drivo safo!
Old 14th April 2011, 12:18   #363
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Shhh...Amit !
And so on...and remember using this ORVM to check body parts is very benefitial. Because it constantly warns you - "Objects in mirror are closer('bigger') than they appear" !
So you feel relieved !
Now I am giggling like a little girl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Dot why are you holding the ORVM in your hand. I hope you don't have to drive with your hand outside of the car to get the rear view.
Haha, just imagine! As @mdsaab said, it had come off yesterday. But it is fixed now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Unfortunately @dot had his mirror dislodged by a biker. But the good news is he got it back up again. And on his own. To top it, he even shared how its done on the honda civic maintenance thread.
Thanks for the kind words. I was thinking that the issue is so common that no one even mentions!

Quote:
Yesterday while shopping at ^Spar i landed up at their car accesories section. Happened to notice a hanging type air freshner which had a leather fragrance. No i am not going to try it out. But if you want one would be happy to send it.
You know, after checking (rather smelling) noopster's Grandy, I bought one from Spar. Somehow very disappointed. No fragrance at all inside the car. You need to bring your nose close to the bottle to smell anything. 350 bucks vaporised.
Old 14th April 2011, 12:51   #364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately @dot had his mirror dislodged by a biker. But the good news is he got it back up again. Amd on his own. To top it, he even shared how its done on the honda civic maintainence thread. What a guy. Thanks buddy.
Yesterday while shopping at ^Spar i landed up at their car accesories section. Happened to notice a hanging type air freshner which had a leather fragrance. No i am not going to try it out. But if you want one would be happy to send it. No exchange rate no terms and conditions.
Coming back to the forts mirrors ~ can you imagine toyota actually making a recall for the error.
Headlines would read. Toyota recalls missing S. Missing S to be added to all toyotas.glad that you are getting over it now. Else toyota would have been forced to go in for a recall.
Drivo safo!
Well done Dot ! And jolly good account mdsaab.

I just happen to be an ardent DiY guy all through - and love folks who tread that path. Right now Admiral is in the free service, neo warranty phase - so am not getting very smart with it. But my ertswhile Scorpio, famously known as Guderian, was filled with my DiYs. Right from the engine bay,where I used to steel grip wires, pad exposed tubes, remove ordinary hose clips - replace with jubilee or worm clips etc etc. And any issue with the vehicle - I used to try set it right first, only where spares were called for then the ASC was remembered. Cleaning air filters, replacing horns, battery work, fuses work, taking care of moans and groans, replacing washer motors, fixing fog lamps - all DiYs. Really cherish those moments. And the amount one saves on labour isn't a piffling one !

In fact at a couple of ASCs in Karnataka,belonging to a friend, when travelling, the grease monkeys used to gather around and I normally had an impromptu talk for about an hour or so on preventive maintenance. The damn (!) friend of mine made me do it in another unit of his too. And the cheek to have charged me for a fuel inlet hose I changed on the Scorp once (though I insisted I pay - he should have insisted and refused !)...

And in the M&M ASC in Thane used to always have a word or two for the grease monkeys on almost all the visits.

And believe me when I tell you we auto fanatics would know far more than what those guys and their superiors know and what know better what is best for our car. But then this should n't be taken as arrogance - but a desire to learn about your vehicle should exist first and then move on to understanding what is best for your beloved vehicle. Invest time !

DiY - that's the way to go folks - if you love your vehicle and want to get real intimate with it. All it requires is some common sense and no great tooling. Ordinary tools can fix most of the minor DiY items.

Of course, I need to confess that I have some yum tools to help me and I keep salivating for more tool kits !

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
You know, after checking (rather smelling) noopster's Grandy,
Errr...Dot, I hope that's a brand name or is it something else ?!!

Maybe I am not much into car fragrances, so do pardon the ignorance. But then, sometimes I do get perturbed by such sentences at the first glance.

Last edited by Guderian : 14th April 2011 at 13:20.
Old 14th April 2011, 14:16   #365
Senior - BHPian

oh please. This thread has it all. From.the magnificent T-Fort. By the way this is India's only moving fort. To people giggling like little girls.
And now with @guderian's sentence anal-isis. If i am not mistaken. I just burst out in laughter. Probably a bad choice of words with the ever vigilant @guderian onboard. But what the hell.
Enjoy a nice fragrance. Not referring to any grandy here.
Drive safe!

Going back to the DIY. Like i had mentioned earlier those were the days with our good ol Matiz. Still have her. But no time on hand for DIY anymore. Still have my favourite book. Autorepair for dummies in the library cabinet.

Last edited by mdsaab : 14th April 2011 at 14:25.
Old 14th April 2011, 15:53   #366
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Now I am giggling like a little girl.
Must be contagious.

Quote:
Somehow very disappointed. No fragrance at all inside the car. You need to bring your nose close to the bottle to smell anything. 350 bucks vaporised.
Ummm. There is a flat stopper thingy that you have to take out before it starts emitting its sweetness. Perchance did you omit this small yet vital step?

Quote:

Maybe I am not much into car fragrances, so do pardon the ignorance. But then, sometimes I do get perturbed by such sentences at the first glance.
If it were anything else I expect the reaction wouldn't be very different from Aussie dahlia lady referenced a few posts ago

Quote:
oh please. This thread has it all. From.the magnificent T-Fort. By the way this is India's only moving fort. To people giggling like little girls.
And now with @guderian's sentence anal-isis. If i am not mistaken. I just burst out in laughter.
What a liar. You were giggling like a little girl as well. Admit it.

PS>> You guys seem to be big fans of DIY. I've had a lot of experience with this, but mostly in my early teens.

PPS>> We are *so* going to get banned soon.

Last edited by noopster : 14th April 2011 at 15:55.
Old 14th April 2011, 17:43   #367
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Ummm. There is a flat stopper thingy that you have to take out before it starts emitting its sweetness. Perchance did you omit this small yet vital step?
Yes, found the white thingy after a few days. Removing it has not helped though. Whats wrong?

Quote:
You know, if there was ever a human tomato, I was close to being one sometime back. I mean I was really red faced, trying to control my laughter when I saw this. Whatever I was reading also added to the situation. Take a look. Amazing coincidence. Actually we watched the movie yesterday.

Cinema Crazed

Mercifully a visit to pantry room, where some discussions on Hayabusa drag racing near our apartment was going on, came to the rescue.

Quote:
PPS>> We are *so* going to get banned soon.
You bet.

Last edited by dot : 14th April 2011 at 17:45.
Old 14th April 2011, 18:58   #368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Still have my favourite book. Autorepair for dummies in the library cabinet.
mdsaab, Would love to lay my hands on this piece of auto-literature. I know the march of technology would have outstripped its utility - but as a collectors item though !

Quote:
Must be contagious.
What a liar. You were giggling like a little girl as well. Admit it.
Hi Anoop, Right on both counts !

Quote:
1. Yes, found the white thingy after a few days. Removing it has not helped though. Whats wrong?
2. Cinema Crazed
Hey Dot,
1. Since you found the white thingy a few days later - you should have thrown the bottle away and retained the white thingy - who knows may be the fragrance would have stayed !

2. That was a nice movie indeed. Pity about Heath Ledger though.

Last edited by Guderian : 14th April 2011 at 19:00.
Old 14th April 2011, 21:51   #369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Rickyji, Please to be noting that being a fauji brat has its advantagesji. Lived in sada('our' as in Punju not 'rotten' as in Hindi) Dilli for 7 years when in bachpan and worked there for 2 years when in jawani. Of courseji, jawani still continues, dan't faarget.
And noted twada point on missing the NCS requirement. Par Rickyji bhagoge kahan ?

OK so you are a fauji brat, (good to admit reality) wonder why the smart ones always are.

I was myself going to the fauj ji after school, but my Grand Mom put the spanner in the works & made me stay far far away, have always regretted it, but then that is life ji

Nice to know that you have had a taste of North India as well ji, as well as of the other parts of India. What turned you into a hilarious comic writer is what I wanna know.

Well, I think it is turning into a life-log rather than that of your latest love - the T-Fort. So let us digress & stick to the topic-ji !! LOL

This is a laugh riot..nice to see that a person I do not really know is able to give me reason to smile so very often if NOT laugh out loud.

Cheerio
Old 15th April 2011, 00:29   #370
Senior - BHPian

@noopster have already had my share of mistakes on this wonderful thread. And no i don't even work for Toyota, so can't use that as an excuse. So NO sorry not going to agree to anything here.

Now one thing which is a bit alarming is that many of us have typoed (Japanese) posts with changes to the fairer sex. Probably @guderian can S-He-D some light on the same as to why this is happening only on his thread?

Coming back to the lovely book. Took a look at it today. It is indeed leaning more towards the days where tech was not too in your face in our cars. Realized something else though. The book looked almost new. Now i remember using it a lot. So how was this lovely book in almost pristine condition? Flashback a few years ago. I remember i had ordered the book online, and remember receiving it by courier. It came in a lovely cardboard type box packing. And till this day it is kept in the same box. Got the cover laminated so that is protected too. And when i was getting my hands dirty(nervous as this is @guderian's thread) under or inside the car ofcourse. I actually had my girlfriend now wife or someone else read to me the instructions or hold the book out in front. Just so the book wouldn't get dirty or soiled. Talk about being finicky!

Well that's that. Will be happy to bring this book along when we meet up sometime. Whether it's Mumbai or Pune.
Drive Safe!
Old 15th April 2011, 14:58   #371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post

1. OK so you are a fauji brat, (good to admit reality) wonder why the smart ones always are. I was myself going to the fauj ji after school.

2. What turned you into a hilarious comic writer is what I wanna know.

3. Well, I think it is turning into a life-log rather than that of your latest love - the T-Fort. So let us digress & stick to the topic-ji !! LOL
This is a laugh riot..nice to see that a person I do not really know is able to give me reason to smile so very often if NOT laugh out loud.

Cheerio
1. Wow ! Clubbing the two sentences and inferring - you wanted to join the fauj just to beget smart children ?!! Lo kallo baat !
That's a new one. I think Indian Army ads should feature your view as a selling point now.

2. Long story. Will share it by and by.

3. Life log or TFort log - no 'prolem-ji' as long as one lives, laughs and learns. And it is my pliyyar totally. And no meyyiarment of that ! Parry on my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab

Well that's that. Will be happy to bring this book along when we meet up sometime. Whether it's Mumbai or Pune.
Drive Safe!
Thanks mdsaab. It would be great to have that book in my hands. And nice to read how you have taken care of it. Warms the cockles of my heart !
Soiling your hands eh ? Hmmm...

Last edited by Guderian : 15th April 2011 at 15:01.
Old 15th April 2011, 17:25   #372
Senior - BHPian

1. Admiral Sails on Home Fleet Duties.

Yes. Embarassing, but Admiral was drafted into the Home Fleet for Homeland Defence. From sailing the high seas he was dragged around the streets of Thane yesterday on internal domestic duties. At the beck and call of the LoH. Because yesterday was a holiday. And we went around picking victuals for the house.

But gave me a lot of time to go through the manual again and check out a few facts that have been bothering me. Shall intersperse these with some snaps taken while sailing with the Home Fleet.

1. At the Talaopali or Masunda Lake:
Name:  DSC07132.JPG
Views: 1369
Size:  201.5 KB
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc07133.jpg

While going through the manual realised that the Fortuner has all major service activities at 10 K KMs intervals only. This includes oil changes, replacement of other consumables etc & major checks. So the visits in between at the 15/25/35K etc KMs is just for inspection. Now this is a mighty bore, yes ? Just to pay for the washing ! But it is thankfully at 6 monthly interval which ever is earlier. The Scorp used to have a 5K KMs service interval or 3 months which ever is earlier.

2. The old, real old St John's School (est late 1890s):
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc07135.jpg

I have been enquring about the Toyota Alarm System's impact sensor arming and disarming with no clue from any one. Even the senior most chaps if the T-ASC are/were clueless. Till I read and re-read the piece on TDS or Theft Deterrent System (page 27 ) which has the piece on impact sensor cancelling (Page 29). My question was as to how to arm it once you disarm it. The ASC mentioned that there is no impact alarm sensor ! Anyway what apparently happens is that you can cancel the sensor using the method described after locking the door and it stays cancelled till you keep the locking security armed. The next time you unlock the doors using the remote (or disarm it as it is referred to) and lock it again the impact sensor gets activated again. There is no need to activate it again. It is automatically activated. And to test it there is a method described on page 30. I tested it and found it all tickety boo ! So there you are.

3. View around the lake:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc07136.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc07137.jpg

For towing the TFort (hopefully that eventuality should never occur) there are two tow hooks/eyelets welded on either side of the ladder in the front. Was wondering whether during a towing activity one needs to have two ropes, one for each eyelet for safe towing - which one has seen on largish trucks. Was relieved to learn that any one of the eyelets can be used safely. Because, I carry only one steel tow rope of 5T capacity.

4. Random shots:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc071381.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc07139.jpg

Plenty if DiYs in section 7-3 of the manual. I shall add to it of course !

2. Am I Finicky ? No, No - Just Exacting in my Requirements !

And today was on a day's break. And thought why not attend to the minor stuff which was insignificant but to me it was rather irritating. One was the minor rattling sound from the underbody and the teeny-weeny squeak of the brake pedal.

Called up the Head Technical of the ASC who I got to know sometime ago and keep discussing various technical matters of the TFort and was outside the ASC at 9.30 am. And came the Head - a grizzled old veteran, who knew his Fortuner very well alright and was very nice to talk to.

We went out for a long trial on rough patches. The light rattling sound was indeed coming on and off. It was concluded it had nothing to do with the suspension but with the body line. Every bit of the Admiral was checked and tapped. The suspicion fell on the accessory dept fitted Grill Guard or Bump Guard. It just didn't sound right to me and to him. So it was decided to set it right in the next service. But then I paused and told him that I'd rather get the thing refixed right away. And so it was done in an hour's time at the accessories garage of the ASC where the Wurths action was carried out last week.

The brake squeak was confirmed to be the brake booster noise. Fine.

The service intervals was also discussed and my understanding mentioned above was confirmed.

Now the snaps, as usual, shall talk ! At the Accessories Garage:

1. Admiral's guard is down ! This is how the guard's inner side looks.
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc07141.jpg

2. Bumper overboard !
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc07142.jpg
Name:  DSC07143.JPG
Views: 1229
Size:  295.3 KB

3. The air dams - reverse flap plastic sections:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc07144.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc07148.jpg

4.At work and fixing it !
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc07146.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc07147.jpg

5. View of the white plastic windshield wash reservoir.
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc07149.jpg

6. No Nudes ! But this is the bare radiator !
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc07150.jpg

7. The real hero of a bumper. The steel behind all the plastic !
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc07155.jpg

8. The fog lamp from the inside !
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc07157.jpg

9. Well guarded bumper. The great union of bumper and guard - no baby bumpers yet !
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc07156.jpg

10. Admiral gets his nose back ! Nose job...
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc07158.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc07160.jpg

11. Admiral's gets his grand Zodiac Grill !
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc07163.jpg

12. The rear gets a pat too !
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc07164.jpg

13. Sea trials in a rough neighbourhood. But no one messes with the Admiral.
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc07165.jpg

Sea trials went of well and the rattle seems to have vanished.

Final take - again accessories chaps of the ASC screwed up. Big time ! Poor fitting.

Last edited by Guderian : 15th April 2011 at 17:49.
Old 15th April 2011, 19:32   #373
dot
Senior - BHPian

Great to know rattles have disappeared. Most irritating to hear rattles during heat of battles.

At least the rattle appeared when the expert fellow was onboard. Funny thing these rattles, they always have an habit of disappearing exactly when you bring in an expert to figure out whats wrong. Thats Mr. Murphy.

Thank god for your daily posts. My second favorite thing these days is to check out daily what Admiral and General are upto.
Old 15th April 2011, 19:37   #374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Great to know rattles have disappeared. Most irritating to hear rattles during heat of battles.

At least the rattle appeared when the expert fellow was onboard. Funny thing these rattles, they always have an habit of disappearing exactly when you bring in an expert to figure out whats wrong. Thats Mr. Murphy.

Thank god for your daily posts. My second favorite thing these days is to check out daily what Admiral and General are upto.
Hi Dot,
Thanks. Yes that Mr Murphy and his laws are a real.....!

And what's the favourite thing these days - if one is not getting very nosey ?!!
Old 15th April 2011, 20:07   #375
Senior - BHPian

@Guderian: Admiral has got a demister on the rear quarter glass too? Am noticing it only now! I briefly scanned through T-BHP's official review and Admiral's too, but didn't find any mention of it.

I see that it is only for the right quarter glass?

And good that you got the rattle dismissed. Your thread is one of the most liveliest threads. Keep it up!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed