Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2011, 22:21   #256
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. A Month of Ownership & New Snaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
I second Guderian. Manmohanji (get used to this moniker) you must must must and absolutely must come up with your own thread for your very own Fortuner.

You have made the absolute right choice with this vehicle and let me be the second to say "welcome to the club"!! Its going to be an experience mate and you will discover new and wonderful things about your Fortuner everyday for a few days now.

Ahh! I remember how it was for me that 10th of December 2009..and my Fortuner still makes me smile everytime i drive it.

Looking forward to seeing a new Fortuner ownership thread very soon with pictures and details about the wait, the delivery and other happy musings.

I will hold my wishes for "many happy miles ahead" so i may post it on your thread.
I think our Manmohanji is exactly like our PM Manmohanji ! Quiet, unassuming. softspoken and goes about his task very,very quietly - like picking up a TFort, which for me at least was a cataclysmic event of a lifetime, which had to be shamefully shouted out from the rooftops here.

Our Manmohanji here walks off with a TFort, as though he's picked up the daily newspaper. Or may be for him, it is just like a newspaper.

And like our PM Manmohanji, if we can identify our Manmohanji's Soniaji, then possibly through her we can get our M'ji to start the ownership thread !

C'mon sir where are you ? Nary a peep from you, even after all these posts ?
Old 29th March 2011, 23:01   #257
BHPian

Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. A Month of Ownership & New Snaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Even at hotels where the valets come I refuse to hand over the keys to them preferring to drive down to the parking lot. As a result in some places like ITC etc, unless I get aggressive, I am refused parking in their parking lot and so have, on occasions, driven off refusing them business and go to a place where there is no such issue ! Mad cap approach, right ?
Not mad cap at all! My dad has done this on many occasions. He doesn't even let his own son (me) start it, much less drive!

My own car is a different story, but I have a trusty driver who loves cleaning all the cars when he has nothing to do and takes very good care of it.

And since this is my first post on your lovely thread, congratulations on owning this wonderful car. Please do keep posting as I love reading your thread.

Cheers!
Old 30th March 2011, 08:19   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
Not mad cap at all! My dad has done this on many occasions. He doesn't even let his own son (me) start it, much less drive!

My own car is a different story, but I have a trusty driver who loves cleaning all the cars when he has nothing to do and takes very good care of it.

And since this is my first post on your lovely thread, congratulations on owning this wonderful car. Please do keep posting as I love reading your thread.

Cheers!
Hi Viraat13, Your post has certainly come as a big relief to me !

For the LoH and the offspring have practically written me off as a case fit for the loony bin and are possibly waiting for the white van, with the flashing lights, men in white coats with a couple of straight jackets, to arrive and throw me into a padded cell. All thanks to what they believe are my unexplainable behaviours towards my vehicle/s and because of my vehicle/s !

And it is for this reason and this reason alone, that I have not employed a driver, ever. And I have been off and on been under some serious pressure from my colleagues and bosses to employ a driver. And my standard response has been - Over my dead body.

Well to be honest, I had indeed employed a driver way back in May 2001, on the Zen, precisely for 2 days. And that too just because my office shifted from Seepz to Prabhadevi and it was felt (by 'people' around me really) that the distance was, well, painful. How silly of me to have agreed with them. I monitored his driving for two days and the bloke observed me for 2 days.

The backseat driving, screams of clutch - break- indicator etc got too much for the chap and he sacked me on the third day. I never saw him after that. And of course his annoyance was at such a peak that he sent his wife to meet the LoH and collect his two days wages when she revealed all to the LoH and the reasons behind my sacking.

And that's when the LoH gave me, what she thought was a simple philosophy of life, that there are some people who are fit to employ drivers, handymen and some not - a fact I had known for a long, long time and my general unsuitability as an employer. She had of course, quite conveniently, forgotten that it was at her insistence that I had employed the 2 day Jeeves.
Well, even to this day she believes that I, on purpose, lead to the circumstances of my receiving the pink slip.

And to this day, I believe, that the chap was actually secretly engaged by the LoH to keep an eye on me and my proclivities, when out of her sight !

Glad to note that there are other good people in this world quite like me.

And kindly do convey my compliments to your Dad. A man after my own heart. Rare breed.

Oh yes - I don't let my son or LoH play around or even touch the functional parts of the vehicle let alone starting it. At best they are allowed to sit in it - with due terms and conditions as applicable and as stressed by me before any trip - however long or short.

And yes, thank you very much for the kind compliments !

Last edited by Guderian : 30th March 2011 at 08:38.
Old 30th March 2011, 13:14   #259
BHPian

Manmohan JI ?? come on guys have a heart. Is good that you feel this way when you hear my name, only hope that at the end of my namesake's term you have the same indulgent smile.

Not being reticent or shy just practical and given the next few months sure that I will not be able to do justice to a separate Ownership Log and booking / buying experience logs are frowned up on, justifiably I am sure.

So let me briefly, write about my experience so far here, as you have so kindly allowed me to do..

I opted for Silver Colour, having been through enough stress while maintaining my Black SX4, its just impossible!!

The invoice cost of the vehicle Rs. 17,64,525.03 plus Vat of Rs. 2,38,210.88 adding up to a total of Rs. 20,02,735.91.
Life time Road Tax rs. 3,96,544.00
Total Insurance Rs. 75,859.00 (done through the Dealer, Toyota Cashless Insurance)
Only accessories added were Fabric Mats and Rubber tray for the luggage area.
I did replace the OE head Unit of the Audio System with a JVC KW-AVX836 HU and retained the OE Speakers and also added a rear view camera. The HU is Navigation ready (I am not sure if i will use this feature as i already have a MMI navigator) Its also blue tooth enabled and the feature that I purchased the system for takes my i- pod and a USB input. I settled for this rather than a Pioneer 4250 or a similar sony Hu as this had the largest Display of 7" and the faceplate is removable. My OE HU was bought back unofficially at Rs. 4,000.

The experience at the dealership was satisfactory in all ways absolutely gave no reason for complaint.

I have been tied to my desk from the past few days so just managed a single work related drive to a nearby town of Davangere (250Kms one way). I drove alone. I cannot explain the feeling of driving this machine and again as has been oft repeated its a torque monster. Man it can take off !!
Kept the RPM below 2K mostly touched 120KMPH a few times, steady as a rock. Took some curves on NH 4 fast felt no roll, was looking for it as this is the first high CG vehicle I had driven for this long.
The engine noise intrudes and it was difficult to find the higher placed gear knob at first as was getting used to the long throw.
A/c and seats are absolutely comfortable. And yes, Guderian the tyre hum is audible.
Felt no issues with the brake, its smooth and effective, the movement of the break pedal is comparatively longer than say my SX4.
Expected the clutch to be harder, as this was a diesel engine but its nice and light, have not driven in the City too much yet.
All seating and the leg space is more than adequate inclusive of the third row for small runs, for long runs its surely for kids.
So that's it.
I will be on a considerably long tour in April and shall update if I find anything different than already put up here at the forum.
And just to clear your minds Guderianji, this is a mighty big step for me to put down this huge amount of money on a vehicle. Its you all that gave me the courage to take this step. So far its been good and I totally am part of the cheering group as far as the Fortuner is concerned.
Manmohan

Last edited by manmohanmaan : 30th March 2011 at 13:16.
Old 30th March 2011, 14:21   #260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manmohanmaan View Post
Manmohan JI ?? come on guys have a heart. Is good that you feel this way when you hear my name, only hope that at the end of my namesake's term you have the same indulgent smile.

Not being reticent or shy just practical and given the next few months sure that I will not be able to do justice to a separate Ownership Log and booking / buying experience logs are frowned up on, justifiably I am sure.
Hi, That is a nice compact report !
Fine, have it your way my friend.
And yes, since you want to share your experiences here - not a problem at all, I can assure you once again.

And coming to the cost of purchase I am quite flummoxed that even though the ex showroom rates are lower, you paid overall higher than what I paid in Thane - taxes ? What taxes -LTT ? And Admiral's cost included about 42K paid for accessories.
And did you pay anything called handling charges of something like 4.5 k ?

Anyway, now, whether Manuuj agrees or not, I have no option but to wish you many, many thousand miles of wonderful experience with the TFort and to congratulate you formally on the wonderful acquisition.

What have you named your T Fort ?

What else...oh yes - to remind you to add some snaps here. That'd add to the pleasure.

Guderianji ? Appears that in one stroke you have turned a true blue, proud, Prussian General into a Punju doodhwala from Mukerian (not that there is anything wrong in being a Punju doodhwala - but view it from a Prussian general's eye). Lo ! Guderian from Mukerian !

Give the Generaloberst a break, will you ?!! As it were, I've had enough worries battling the ol' toothbrush moustache rather than the real enemies of the Reich, though some consider the Corporal to be the real enemy of the Reich

Last edited by Guderian : 30th March 2011 at 14:23.
Old 30th March 2011, 17:19   #261
BHPian

@ General Saab,
Amazing write up was glued to this thread for quite a while and you had me flipping. Congratulations on your Fortuner and wishing you the very best for miles to come.
I don't see any way I can add value so I won't comment further, but I will be a regular reader.
Old 31st March 2011, 09:08   #262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Roadie View Post
@ General Saab,
Amazing write up was glued to this thread for quite a while and you had me flipping. Congratulations on your Fortuner and wishing you the very best for miles to come.
I don't see any way I can add value so I won't comment further, but I will be a regular reader.
Hi Rohan, Thank you very much for the warm wishes.

Oh yes, please do comment on anything that occurs to you, on this thread - driving, vehicles, Q's about the TFort - anything to add to everybodys general information/knowledge and to general mirth that is life, but which we often miss !
Old 31st March 2011, 14:50   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Viraat13, Your post has certainly come as a big relief to me !

For the LoH and the offspring have practically written me off as a case fit for the loony bin and are possibly waiting for the white van, with the flashing lights, men in white coats with a couple of straight jackets, to arrive and throw me into a padded cell. All thanks to what they believe are my unexplainable behaviours towards my vehicle/s and because of my vehicle/s !

And it is for this reason and this reason alone, that I have not employed a driver, ever. And I have been off and on been under some serious pressure from my colleagues and bosses to employ a driver. And my standard response has been - Over my dead body.

Well to be honest, I had indeed employed a driver way back in May 2001, on the Zen, precisely for 2 days. And that too just because my office shifted from Seepz to Prabhadevi and it was felt (by 'people' around me really) that the distance was, well, painful. How silly of me to have agreed with them. I monitored his driving for two days and the bloke observed me for 2 days.

And to this day, I believe, that the chap was actually secretly engaged by the LoH to keep an eye on me and my proclivities, when out of her sight !

Glad to note that there are other good people in this world quite like me.

And kindly do convey my compliments to your Dad. A man after my own heart. Rare breed.

Oh yes - I don't let my son or LoH play around or even touch the functional parts of the vehicle let alone starting it. At best they are allowed to sit in it - with due terms and conditions as applicable and as stressed by me before any trip - however long or short.

And yes, thank you very much for the kind compliments !
No no no. You're not fit for the loony bin at all! I say the people who trust their drivers with cars that cost many lakhs should be thrown in!

Well the driver is mostly my personal driver, dad uses my car + driver when he has to go to very very crowded areas with no place to park. But I am quite particular when it comes to how the person has to drive before I can breathe easily (even though he started working for me before I knew how to drive) and he taught me how to drive and my dad is 100 times more particular than me. And even he stayed calm so the inference being that I have a good driver (which is a very rare find these days. I'm sure most will agree!).

I think there are many many more people right here on T-BHP who are as finicky as you or me or my father.

The terms and conditions part doesn't happen to me as me and my dad are just as fussy about our cars! The only reason I'm not allowed to drive the big car is that I'm not good enough to drive it yet (according to my dad, naturally.).

AND I drove my friends Fortuner yesterday. One word - Fantastic!! (Even though I categorically do not like SUV's, this one is an exception.)
Old 31st March 2011, 15:05   #264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

1. I think there are many many more people right here on T-BHP who are as finicky as you or me or my father.

2. (Even though I categorically do not like SUV's, this one is an exception.)
1.Good on you, mate !
2. Because of Jairam Ganesh ?
Old 31st March 2011, 15:30   #265
BHPian

Admiral !

You meant Jayaram Ramesh ? I know these things happen and dont shoot me out for pointing out a mistake.

I could not stop correcting it as this thread has been personal favourite of mine. Everytime i see an T-Fort i recall the your words in this thread asking some one to check the under belly to find the differentials to prove gender that T-Fort is He and not SHE.

I truly admire your post and learning a lot of things from this as well.

Last edited by Otomobil : 31st March 2011 at 15:35.
Old 31st March 2011, 17:44   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otomobil View Post
Admiral !

You meant Jayaram Ramesh ? I know these things happen and dont shoot me out for pointing out a mistake.

I could not stop correcting it as this thread has been personal favourite of mine. Everytime i see an T-Fort i recall the your words in this thread asking some one to check the under belly to find the differentials to prove gender that T-Fort is He and not SHE.

I truly admire your post and learning a lot of things from this as well.
Hi Otomobil, Love such interjections I can assure you !
Just to clarify - everywhere the spelling is Jairam including Wikipedia.......have a look, google the name and you'll know what I mean ! Not that it'll disturb anything substantial were it to be Jayaram.

No I certainly will not shoot you - why waste a bullet ? There are far more interesting forms of execution - heard of garroting ? Old toothbrush moustache got the SS chaps to use thin piano wires to garrot many of the July 20 (Stauffenberg plot) plotters. Chaps died a slow painful death over 5-7 hours after being strung up !

But seriously - thanks for the warm words and let's all keep having fun and learning on TBHP !
Old 31st March 2011, 19:41   #267
BHPian

Quote:
2. Because of Jairam Ganesh ?
Ramesh you mean.
And NO. I just like sedans more. I'm not part of the environmental brigade, quite far from it! (See my signature, that gives a huge indication. None of my cars are high on FE either!)
Old 31st March 2011, 21:12   #268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ramesh you mean.
And NO. I just like sedans more. I'm not part of the environmental brigade, quite far from it! (See my signature, that gives a huge indication. None of my cars are high on FE either!)
Whooopsie...yes indeed...Ramesh.
And now I see what Otomobil was saying and all the time I thought he was trying to me about Jayaram Vs Jairam.
My apologies Otomobil - withdrawing the order on the piano wire as well ! Just missed me dear chap. Instead of getting strung (high) by the piano wire - why don't you just sit down and play a calming tune on the piano eh ?!!

Actually when I had the Zen I used to keep wondering as to what is it about the big SUVs that people were going crazy about - at least in India in those early days of auto revolution.

It was when I recognised the great potential of road travel in India and then went on to purchase the Scorpio (though not a pucca SUV) I realised the need for a largish vehicle on the highway. The ability to drive for hours sans fatigue, carrying the multiple valises of the family and just about anything else, retaining the flexibilty of going exactly where one wants and following ones own schedule, without the dependence on any other mode of transport etc.I am sure I wouldn't have been able to visit some great spots in India and especially the south except by travelling on the road. Of course you'll mention that it can be done by car. Yes it can be - but it is much more relaxed and easier in a decent, fuel efficient, diesel SUV.

And cheaper too.

Believe you me, when I tell you that the family & I haven't taken a holiday break in the last 10 years and travelled by any other mode of transport - train, plane or anything else. All by road and all self driven. Started off with the Zen.

And yes, these days...errr...I naturally don't/won't/can't keep wondering as to what is it about the big SUVs that people are/were going crazy about !

Last edited by Guderian : 31st March 2011 at 21:16.
Old 31st March 2011, 21:29   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, That is a nice compact report !
Fine, have it your way my friend.
And yes, since you want to share your experiences here - not a problem at all, I can assure you once again.

And coming to the cost of purchase I am quite flummoxed that even though the ex showroom rates are lower, you paid overall higher than what I paid in Thane - taxes ? What taxes -LTT ? And Admiral's cost included about 42K paid for accessories.
And did you pay anything called handling charges of something like 4.5 k ?

Anyway, now, whether Manuuj agrees or not, I have no option but to wish you many, many thousand miles of wonderful experience with the TFort and to congratulate you formally on the wonderful acquisition.

What have you named your T Fort ?

What else...oh yes - to remind you to add some snaps here. That'd add to the pleasure.

Guderianji ? Appears that in one stroke you have turned a true blue, proud, Prussian General into a Punju doodhwala from Mukerian (not that there is anything wrong in being a Punju doodhwala - but view it from a Prussian general's eye). Lo ! Guderian from Mukerian !

Give the Generaloberst a break, will you ?!! As it were, I've had enough worries battling the ol' toothbrush moustache rather than the real enemies of the Reich, though some consider the Corporal to be the real enemy of the Reich
Taxes in Karnataka are higher and yes it is a life time tax.

I had to pay handling charges too, about the same as you did.

Sorry just not in the habit of naming my rides, not that in my mind each does not have life like characteristics and each unique in its own way.

As I have stated earlier, i took the delivery earlier than planned due to the fear of price rise post March. Somewhere at the back of my mind was a feeling that there would be a new model now with enhanced competition and the two year anniversary being just round the corner, so was looking at May-June. So now the house in under the scheduled quarterly maintenance (the unit of calculation being a century) replastering cracks, painting and what not, so the T-fort is parked / mothballed at a friends place for the moment and I am using my SX4. So shall have the Pics up as soon as I can I get it home.

Punju Doodhwala ? really, not what i had in mind, but then i was confused between heinz-ji and bertie-ji as you look like one and articulate as the other..

Hey and thanks for your wishes.
Old 31st March 2011, 21:52   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Whooopsie...yes indeed...Ramesh.
And now I see what Otomobil was saying and all the time I thought he was trying to me about Jayaram Vs Jairam.
My apologies Otomobil - withdrawing the order on the piano wire as well ! Just missed me dear chap. Instead of getting strung (high) by the piano wire - why don't you just sit down and play a calming tune on the piano eh ?!!

Actually when I had the Zen I used to keep wondering as to what is it about the big SUVs that people were going crazy about - at least in India in those early days of auto revolution.

It was when I recognised the great potential of road travel in India and then went on to purchase the Scorpio (though not a pucca SUV) I realised the need for a largish vehicle on the highway. The ability to drive for hours sans fatigue, carrying the multiple valises of the family and just about anything else, retaining the flexibilty of going exactly where one wants and following ones own schedule, without the dependence on any other mode of transport etc.I am sure I wouldn't have been able to visit some great spots in India and especially the south except by travelling on the road. Of course you'll mention that it can be done by car. Yes it can be - but it is much more relaxed and easier in a decent, fuel efficient, diesel SUV.

And cheaper too.

Believe you me, when I tell you that the family & I haven't taken a holiday break in the last 10 years and travelled by any other mode of transport - train, plane or anything else. All by road and all self driven. Started off with the Zen.

And yes, these days...errr...I naturally don't/won't/can't keep wondering as to what is it about the big SUVs that people are/were going crazy about !
No no. I'm not saying that SUV's don't make sense. They do make sense for a lot of people! It's just that I prefer large sedans which take you anywhere on the highway in comfort and it doesn't make sense for a family of 2 to have a SUV when they don't need thaaaat much space.

I'm a huge fan of road trips too. 90% of our holidays are road trips only. Earlier they were done in the Contessa, then a few in the Swing (even though it's not large, its fantastic on the highway) and now back to road trip mode in the W124. (I don't consider myself an expert when it comes to the hills of Uttaranchal/Uttarakhand and Himachal Pradesh for nothing.)

And I understand the appeal of a SUV for large groups perfectly. Did a road trip with extended family once in 2008. Used a Scorpio and we were 6 people. And it was a very comfortable trip. So I do know what it's like. (Bangy to Ooty).
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks