Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2011, 09:59   #241
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. A Month of Ownership & New Snaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Oh man i wish to be back in Mumbai after reading your post.

I am surprised that the Admiral did not give firing orders after seeing the bombers from such close quarters and beat a hasty retreat into its den
Hi Amit, Bombay/Mumbai is truly amazing even after all these years of living here ! Every day is a new day and every experience here on the streets has a new twist adding to the charm of living here.

Firing orders ? Yeah - many times after the gun/fire control radar acquires the target, my PETA nature takes over and standby is declared. At times out of deep frustration when I think the first round would be fired, the crisp, clear command from the LoH comes crackling on the radio set in the form of a question in icy tone " What, exactly, are you proposing to do ?"
"No, no, nothing just checking if all the defence systems on the Admiral are fine and limbered up !"

You see one is married to a huge animal lover (please, not the LoH's size but her mental disposition - last time a piece mine describing her thus, came to her attention through her friend(?) and I was on bread and water and confined to the brig for a week, hence this disclaimer) .
Have endured dog bites, scorpion stings, snake scares, spiders glares and all, in our married life and in deep anger only to watch those vermin scamper away scot free and grinning. Bites mean nothing to me today. And poop from any creature is treated as nature's best form of creativity.

So see my predicament Amit ? I am only glad that elephants don't fly !!! Thank God for small mercies.

"What dear ? Oh no, no, was just telling our friend here how wonderful all of the good Lord's creations are - yeah, just one of those count you blessings moments !"

Phew ! That was a narrow one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvonA7 View Post
@guderian sir - Couldn't stop myself from increasing the no. of posts in your thread -

1. have seen many Fortuner's on-road and must admit they deserve the special treatment on our Indian roads ( I mean autos giving way, 2 wheelers going left to make way for the beast!). I think T-Fort is the best vehicle to prove that "size does matter on Indian roads". Your pic - My-Toyota-Fortuner-bull-bar-fabricated.jpg, looks IMO one of the best I have seen till date even though w/o wheel cap etc.

2. Pic #3.jpg (post #233), could see that your trapeze GDW is using a normal cloth for cleaning the FORT, as in T-BHP I am sure you must have come across the car care thread, would be better to equip him with latest tool (read microfiber cloth) for his daily trapeze show.

*Please do not take it as a gyan, just shared some gyan which again is gained from this very informative and honest forum.
Hi AvonA7, "guderian sir " ??? Trying to make me feel old aren't you ? Sorry to disappoint you my friend I am yet to begin the age of real mischief !

And now to your observations. Point 1: Very true. But the reason, believe me, to get the TFort was to have a vehicle which is truly all purpose and which can support my long drive shenanigans. Size was incidental and threatening other users of the road was thereby only a natural corollary not that I believe in it or practise it, unless pushed.

Point 2: Thanks for the input and love such gyan. Had sort of avoided it despite having seen in the super markets due to practical issues. Practical issues of the GDW cleans multiple other cars in the huge colony after mine and that I can't give him any place to store Admiral's cleaning cloth and items specifically etc. Had tried this sometime ago and the approach failed. Now all that I ensure is that he has a clean cloth and a clean pail of water and does the Admiral first.
May be time for a relook at the SOP ?

And what wouldn't I give for an independent house with garage space for couple of vehicles and hose pipe, pressure equipment etc and lotsa time to do everything yourself.
And I'll get there yet, I swear !

Last edited by Guderian : 28th March 2011 at 10:09.
Old 28th March 2011, 14:41   #242
BHPian

Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. A Month of Ownership & New Snaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Point 2: Thanks for the input and love such gyan. Had sort of avoided it despite having seen in the super markets due to practical issues. Practical issues of the GDW cleans multiple other cars in the huge colony after mine and that I can't give him any place to store Admiral's cleaning cloth and items specifically etc. Had tried this sometime ago and the approach failed. Now all that I ensure is that he has a clean cloth and a clean pail of water and does the Admiral first.
May be time for a relook at the SOP ?

And what wouldn't I give for an independent house with garage space for couple of vehicles and hose pipe, pressure equipment etc and lotsa time to do everything yourself.
And I'll get there yet, I swear !
A couple 3M Microfibre cloths and a decent sized Chamois Leather Cloth will not take much space in the rear door panels of the Fortuner, though this scenario only works if you are willing to hand him the keys to Admiral San in the morning.

I too had noticed the cloth he was holding and though it may not harm the car if it is a Malaysia Cotton Cloth which is ideal for the job, the Microfibre cloths do a much better job with much less effort.

Now for the bad news..Bison is unavailable for the dates for the Nagzira rendezvous and it is looking slightly iffy for me too as some Iranain buyers have requested a guided tour to Manali at the same weekend. :-(

Maybe we can find solace in the thought that all Fortuners shall still be stretching their legs in some part of our vast and beautiful lands or another.

Last edited by Manuuj : 28th March 2011 at 14:42.
Old 28th March 2011, 15:19   #243
BHPian

Re: Sunday - A Day in Motion !

Quote:
Sunday - A Day in Motion ! Mar 27, 2011
Your posts are a delight to read HG.

The Admiral looks ship-shape and that says alot about the crack 'o dawn tendings on Sundays.

In my case I take turns on first getting the biwi's car and then mine out for a scrub and washdown.

Her's is black, and you know the city does have racist tendencies. Safely so, mine's red.

Love the way you go to work at the engine bay and those special sections of the Admiral. I am a sucker for such detail. (is that OT?!)

I can only agree with you on the air-raids. It's like this: I have only one parking, two steeds, and a courteous disposition which prevents me from push-parking any-which-where I deem fit inside the complex. Which much to my dislike many resort to, even at times blocking the fire hydrant.

Now this means one of my babies have to slug it out in the open. That has got me a new definition of 'dirt laden' and 'air raids'. Well, I get them gleaming and in their Sunday best for the week ahead.

Surprised about the beading though, coming from Toyota. Looks akin to the Safari job at close quarters. I would cry hoarse at the workshop or go in all guns blazing. (depending upon the breakfast cereal of choice)

Feel deeply for the shrapnel that connected, I can understand the respected LOH's influence ensured the .36 stayed holstered. Tough task that would've been.

I also noticed the rear wall to have a neat rubberized shield to ensure there is no lip-locking happening behind your back. Nice thought and job there, I intend to get one myself. That erection of a pillar in my garage is now beginning to bother me, not that I doubt my babies, but it is a pretty thick pillar at that.

And yes, you will sail it to that independent driveway with the hose for the perfect washdown of your awesomely wise investment- until then, here's to the Admiral!

Fortune sure favors the brave, but sides lovingly with the prepared.

Last edited by mandheers : 28th March 2011 at 15:20.
Old 28th March 2011, 15:42   #244
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi mdsaab, I am not very sure whether TFort still has snaking lines. Forget adult snakes, now it may be baby snake lines - for reasons as discussed in this thread earlier. I think the demand is coming down after the initial purchasers list has been whittled down by Toyota.
But yes, the Etios certainly has a 4 month waiting line.
And about the moustache here is a snap of what I want it to be like. Not sure whether I'll finally be able to get it fabricated. The chap I gave it to doesn't seem to be warming up to the idea. Wouldn't be surprised if I suddenly see our friend having mass produced it and many TForts sprouting it - and the guy not even thanking me for it !
Attachment 523956
Any comments ?

Admiral to The Fortuner. Copy your message. Sent response. How do you read ? Confirm.
Would Nagpur and Nagzira Wildlife Sanctuary be OK by you ? Confirm. Chart boys checking about Bandhavgarh NP from Mumbai and will confirm.

Come in Bison. Admiral to Bison come in. Sea squad sets sail soon. Charts being made ready. Join the flotilla.

Over.
Harry, Prabhu and I know a fellow TBHP member in Bangalore who undertakes fabrication work like this. Catch me on email and I'll connect you to him. He's a very well known off-road junkie who also owns his own fabrication business (thus he does these things). He's very technically oriented, so dont worry.
Old 28th March 2011, 20:31   #245
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I am ok for 30/1st or 7th/8th weekend.

Very likely I will coming down in any case, since I have been planning this trip with a friend for sometime.

Do try and make it...
Old 29th March 2011, 01:14   #246
Senior - BHPian

Looking at the TLC being received there. Reminds me of the days when i use to dedicate such time and effort to lovingly care for my beloved first "Angel" the matiz. Ah i miss those days. When we were young and wild and free. No i am not an old hag yet, but there is just no time anymore. Sure i get the civic pampered once in a while by the 3m guys. But the "connect" the "bond" is lost. I must say kudos no wait a huge SALUTE to you for taking out the time to keep the bond ALIVE.

now coming to the bombay rendevous, like amit said, just looking at those lovely sunday snaps makes you want to drive down to bombay over the weekend. Dont we wish everyday was a sunday.

Lastly, dont make this your last post without the mileage update. Sure we like to hear about tfort at various milestones. But we LOVE hearing about the small yet significant things and outings with tfort no matter how short. Keep them coming. Just as we keep coming back to your fabulous thread for more. Signing off.
Drive safe!
Old 29th March 2011, 09:49   #247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
if you are willing to hand him the keys to Admiral San in the morning.
if it is a Malaysia Cotton Cloth which is ideal for the job.

Now for the bad news..Bison is unavailable for the dates for the Nagzira rendezvous and it is looking slightly iffy for me too as some Iranain buyers have requested a guided tour to Manali at the same weekend. :-(

Maybe we can find solace in the thought that all Fortuners shall still be stretching their legs in some part of our vast and beautiful lands or another.
Hi Manuuj, You guessed right. I do not like to hand over the keys to anyone. Anyone !

Even at hotels where the valets come I refuse to hand over the keys to them preferring to drive down to the parking lot. As a result in some places like ITC etc, unless I get aggressive, I am refused parking in their parking lot and so have, on occasions, driven off refusing them business and go to a place where there is no such issue ! Mad cap approach, right ?

So right from the begining at least from the time of the Scorp I don't give the GDW the keys. I come down on Sundays and get the whole 9 yards done. On the rest of the days he does the exteriors only.

Yeah Nilanjan mentioned the issue with the dates. Will chat up with both of you and see what can be done in the near future !

About the cloth - yes it is a soft cotton wipe cloth. Not sure whether its country of origin is Malaysia. But hey ! I thought India was the cotton country - remember the Brits used to take away raw material and sell back finished clothes to us ? One of the reasons for the Swadeshi Andolan of 1905 ?
Catch up soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandheers View Post
Your posts are a delight to read HG.

The Admiral looks ship-shape and that says alot about the crack 'o dawn tendings on Sundays.

And yes, you will sail it to that independent driveway with the hose for the perfect washdown of your awesomely wise investment- until then, here's to the Admiral!

Fortune sure favors the brave, but sides lovingly with the prepared.
Hi Mandheers, Right said Fred !
Thanks for the comments.
And yes that is one bright spot in the week other than all the driving - spending time with the Admiral.
About the LoH's vehicle. Thanks for reminding me, amidst all the excitement over the Admiral have for about 3 weeks comletely forgotten about her buggy. Need to tend to that this weekend.

Nice line about fortune taking sides !

What's the news about your Aunt's black TFort ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Harry, Prabhu and I know a fellow TBHP member in Bangalore who undertakes fabrication work like this. Catch me on email and I'll connect you to him. He's a very well known off-road junkie who also owns his own fabrication business (thus he does these things). He's very technically oriented, so dont worry.
Hi Veks, Shall give you a ring to take it forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Guys,

I am ok for 30/1st or 7th/8th weekend.

Very likely I will coming down in any case, since I have been planning this trip with a friend for sometime.

Do try and make it...
Hi Nilanjan, Shall give you a buzz and see what best we can do. But my requirement is that I need 3 clear days of 'chutti' - something like the Good Friday weekend so that i can take a day off in addition and have 4 days to drive around as one pleases instead of a rushed drive. And further don't want to feel weakened after the weekend !

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Looking at the TLC being received there. Reminds me of the days when i use to dedicate such time and effort to lovingly care for my beloved first "Angel" the matiz. Ah i miss those days. When we were young and wild and free. No i am not an old hag yet, but there is just no time anymore. Sure i get the civic pampered once in a while by the 3m guys. But the "connect" the "bond" is lost. I must say kudos no wait a huge SALUTE to you for taking out the time to keep the bond ALIVE.

now coming to the bombay rendevous, like amit said, just looking at those lovely sunday snaps makes you want to drive down to bombay over the weekend. Dont we wish everyday was a sunday.

Lastly, dont make this your last post without the mileage update. Sure we like to hear about tfort at various milestones. But we LOVE hearing about the small yet significant things and outings with tfort no matter how short. Keep them coming. Just as we keep coming back to your fabulous thread for more. Signing off.
Drive safe!
Hi mdsaab ! Many thanks for the warm wishes and equally cheerful words of goading !
Accepted and shall attempt to keep placing nuggets in here. More so because I like doing so too !

And you are spot on, in using the word Bond. You see I frankly had no bond with the Zen to a great extent. It was more of a comfort knowing the ol' chap was around and he was trusty and reliable as one's own pet doggie. And the moment he left us we realised his value.

Oh... and incidentally here is a write up on my Zen (which I hadn't even named !) which I posted here years ago. Didn't even have a proper snap of the chap. But anyway.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...n-tribute.html

When Guderian the Scorp arrived that the real bond began to form ! And that now continues with the Admiral. Both vehicles have a character one can easily define. And bonds are very easy to form as per me. May sound very strange to folks who view vehicles as inanimate objects, but not me certainly !
Weird huh ? !!

About Bombay/Mumbai. Why don't you guys come down on a Sunday morning and we'll drive around to the various spots in amchi Mumbai, snack and lunch about, in short have a blast and you guys can get back by 4/5 pm. That should be a swell Sunday in Bombay. Remember doing that for a few of 'roady' (not rowdy - please note) friends couple of years ago and that was a real blast. And those chaps had come in from Delhi. Let me know.

But what concerns me in your post is the fact that you mentioned - that as you age you would turn into an Old Hag ! Now that truly leaves me puzzled and scratching my scalp.
Old 29th March 2011, 09:58   #248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But what concerns me in your post is the fact that you mentioned - that as you age you would turn into an Old Hag ! Now that truly leaves me puzzled and scratching my scalp.
My and what a blooper that is! OOPS! Well what do you expect at 1:00am in the morning. Please read that as old chap! LOL! Well a great start to a dull monday morning. Now you know why i keep coming back to your thread! always lifts the spirit.
Old 29th March 2011, 10:12   #249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please read that as old chap! LOL! Well a great start to a dull monday morning.
Errr...isn't today a Tuesday ? Dull or otherwise ?

And yes, noted with great relief (?) your quick journey back into the 'right' sex !
Well you can never be too sure in these troubled days can you ?!!
Old 29th March 2011, 11:57   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Errr...isn't today a Tuesday ? Dull or otherwise ?

And yes, noted with great relief (?) your quick journey back into the 'right' sex !
Well you can never be too sure in these troubled days can you ?!!
Gosh. Just look at the typos there. I guess too many things at the back of my mind.please read as last minute finish ups at the end of the financial year. Or maybe i am turning into and old chap! LOL! Anyways dont let my on off typing skills disturb this awesome thread. Keep the adventures coming.

Also regarding mumbai on a sunday visit. I might just take you up on that one.
Drive safe!

Last edited by mdsaab : 29th March 2011 at 11:58. Reason: double double checked
Old 29th March 2011, 12:05   #251
BHPian

@mdsaab: Sir not very much is different between an 'old chap' and an 'old hag' just sexist intonations.. .
@guderian: Sir, there are no Q's of any kind for the T-fort delivery. booked mine on 24th of January when the bookings opened, as I was told that bookings may close without notice due to huge demand, but the fact is that the bookings are still open. Then came the scare of the price increase after the Budget presentation. I informed Ravindu Toyota that I would want my vehicle as soon as possible in first week of March, (I had originally planned to pick it up in the next financial year) and I was delivered the vehicle on 18th March.
Manmohan
Old 29th March 2011, 12:23   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also regarding mumbai on a sunday visit. I might just take you up on that one.
Drive safe!
That would a be great visit and drive around. Just come in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manmohanmaan View Post
@mdsaab: Sir not very much is different between an 'old chap' and an 'old hag' just sexist intonations.. .
@guderian: Sir, there are no Q's of any kind for the T-fort delivery. booked mine on 24th of January when the bookings opened, as I was told that bookings may close without notice due to huge demand, but the fact is that the bookings are still open. Then came the scare of the price increase after the Budget presentation. I informed Ravindu Toyota that I would want my vehicle as soon as possible in first week of March, (I had originally planned to pick it up in the next financial year) and I was delivered the vehicle on 18th March.
Manmohan
That is a wonderful piece of news. And you kept quite all this time.
Report ?
Snaps ?
Celebration/s ? Pass the cigars around fast, my good man - where's the delay ?
Ahhh......the tribe grows !
Old 29th March 2011, 13:25   #253
BHPian

Thank you General! Celebrations sure, its an ongoing process every time i take a ride, However the times have been hard and am confined to my office due to the year end and have hardly done any justice. The ever comprehensive initial reports by GTO, Anshuman, Manuuj, Nilanjan and yourself leave little leeway for an additional report from me, however if there is anything of value that I can contribute to this discussion, I shall do so here by your permission.
And thanks to you all, I made the purchase with a clear mind.

Manmohan.
Old 29th March 2011, 14:47   #254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you General! Celebrations sure, its an ongoing process every time i take a ride, However the times have been hard and am confined to my office due to the year end and have hardly done any justice. The ever comprehensive initial reports by GTO, Anshuman, Manuuj, Nilanjan and yourself leave little leeway for an additional report from me, however if there is anything of value that I can contribute to this discussion, I shall do so here by your permission.

Manmohan.
Hi, You truly did keep quiet on the purchase, kept quiet on the delivery or almost and now don't even want to show us the new 'dulhan' ? Not done sir !
While all of us may have put up our diatribes, each experience and feeling of purchase is an unique one. And each vehicle unique and therefore the driving and owning experience.
Would strongly urge you to put up your report and snaps ASAP !
Sure, all of will populate each others threads with contributions and you are most welcome to share yours on this thread.
But your own thread for your T Fort - now that's something !
Especially since you and our revered PM share the same name ! We can always say we have the same vehicle that Manmohanji has...who gets into details these days ?!!
What colour ?

And yes after some time we could also have a dedicated T Fort Technical Discussion Thread as well in the technical section of the forum. That would be also of great help.

Last edited by Guderian : 29th March 2011 at 15:12.
Old 29th March 2011, 16:21   #255
BHPian

Quote:

Manmohan.
I second Guderian. Manmohanji (get used to this moniker) you must must must and absolutely must come up with your own thread for your very own Fortuner.

You have made the absolute right choice with this vehicle and let me be the second to say "welcome to the club"!! Its going to be an experience mate and you will discover new and wonderful things about your Fortuner everyday for a few days now.

Ahh! I remember how it was for me that 10th of December 2009..and my Fortuner still makes me smile everytime i drive it.

Looking forward to seeing a new Fortuner ownership thread very soon with pictures and details about the wait, the delivery and other happy musings.

I will hold my wishes for "many happy miles ahead" so i may post it on your thread.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks