Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2014, 16:16   #2056
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
The same thing happened to my Dad one year back. Sat in the car to go to office, just a krr sound. I then called the Toyota Guy he came and replaced the battery I am on my second set of Exide. The first one lasted two and a half years. Don't know about this set.
Well it does take you by surprise...but life is such.

Quote:
Same thing happened with my friend's Outlander he called the service helpline and explained to them his situation the lady just said we will get back to you on this, till this date no reply!!
I hope your friend is not still sitting in his vehicle and waiting for help to arrive !

Quote:
Toyota Rocks!
You can say that again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentle Giant View Post
The Toyota Fortuner is my dream-car. I absolutely loved the information, pictures and other things you have posted on this vehicle here. Makes me want to buy one at the earliest possible too. Anyway, God-willing I too should be a proud-owner of this beautiful beast of an SUV sooner than later.
Thank you for your kind words Gentle Giant.
I am sure you'll realise your dream soon !

Quote:
Originally Posted by samish_g View Post

2) A life of 3 years 4 months for an OE battery is maybe a notch below average (this is purely my personal opinion). Methinks, a 4 year life is average. However, it depends on the traffic conditions among other factors. Do you keep the headlamps switched on while waiting at a traffic signal or start the vehicle with any of the accessories (audio etc.) on?
Hi Samish,
I too was rather surprised and a battery change was far from my mind at this point in Admiral's life. I thought that the OE battery would be lasting me for over 4 years - what with all the care I took. The other Fortuner owners - Manuuj et. al. are still running the OE batteries in the 4th+ year of ownership. But yes, I think I may have had a great number of crankings - as that too determines greatly the life of an auto-bat, as I have the habit of shutting the engine off at lights and in case of traffic jams etc. Also number of cranks during parking adjustments in my stamp sized stilt parking.
No, I don't keep the headlights on at lights and switch off the accessories before starting the vehicle as a steady habit.

Well must be one of those things in life...a black swan event for me perhaps !

Aloha.
Guderian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2014, 12:38   #2057
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post

Well must be one of those things in life...a black swan event for me perhaps !

Aloha.
Cheer Up General!! As you are aware of the possible reasons, do not worry. Just enjoy the rides with Admiral Togo Heihachiro.

Regards,

Samish

P.S.: May I suggest that you do not switch off the ignition if the waiting time at the traffic signal is less than 60 seconds.
Old 26th June 2014, 20:47   #2058
BHPian

Quote:
Admiral's Insurance - Year III.

The details (all figures in Rs.):
IDV - 18.36 Ls
Total premium - 28,795.
Package details:
- 55% discount on basic premium.
- 50% NCB.
- Personal accident cover - 2L /driver cover/7 passengers covered for 1L each.
Pearl Plan Add Ons:
- Zero depreciation reimbursement (limited to 2 claims during the policy period).
- Loss of personal belongings cover.
- Emergency hotel and transport charges cover.
- Key loss/replacement cover.
- NCB protection if plastic, rubber, fiber & glass parts are repaired and not replaced.
Herr Guderian - Thanks for this detailed log on insurance renewal. This was instrumental in driving down my $$$ compared to prior years, even though I'm way behind your bargain. Can I request you to review the attached post and comment on soundness of the policy: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3464481
Old 27th June 2014, 08:27   #2059
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samish_g View Post
P.S.: May I suggest that you do not switch off the ignition if the waiting time at the traffic signal is less than 60 seconds.
Hi Samish,
Yes I follow that...shut off only when the wait is more than 60 secs. And in this weather possibly - no shut off at all !

OT:

Damn ! This seems to be a season of all kinds of sparks engulfing me ! Had to change my home inverter battery after 7 years. No it didn't give up on me - but was dying a slow death. So replaced the old Exide Inverter Plus (180AH) with an Exide InvaPlus (180 AH). Cost me 12.8 K.
@#*%^@& !!! And grumble....grumble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadFiend View Post
Herr Guderian - Thanks for this detailed log on insurance renewal.
Hi RoadFiend,
Thank you for the acknowledgement.
I have done the needful on your thread.
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2014, 11:50   #2060
Senior - BHPian

OT:
Last Sunday, I went and did this :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...azor-edge.html

A quick review of sorts - of an old vehicle (of sorts) !

Last edited by Guderian : 27th June 2014 at 11:52.
Old 14th July 2014, 15:38   #2061
BHPian

Quote:
OT:
Last Sunday...... !
Hi HG

This Sat'day I faced unusual problem. My left rear wheel went flat. Observed it in my parking. Must have gone overnight,

I called the neighborhood tyre boy for puncture repair. the rear Wheels have never been taken out before.

Oh My God ! The wheel is stuck to the hub like pressed fitted. It would not come out, no matter what you do. It looked as if it has been welded to the rusted hub, which project inside the alloy central open portion with zero tolerance.

I called up the helpline, the technician says, you need to hammer the centre as this is the problem being observed that aluminium alloy gets heated and sort of bonds to hub.

He further says, to move the car a bit after opening all the nuts, if hammering does not solve the problem. (dangerous option)

I did not try any of these as same night, I left for US.
I would try these coming sunday on return and rebolted all the nuts and brought down the car from jack.
The poor tyre would be suffering for a week.

Please suggest your thoughts.

I did look at other rear wheel after opening the hub cap and it looked the same.

Why is this design of central hub with zero tolerance gap is made by Toyota ? Normally the hub projection (if any) stays clear of rim.

thanks
Old 14th July 2014, 16:52   #2062
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderers View Post
This Sat'day I faced unusual problem. My left rear wheel went flat. Observed it in my parking. Must have gone overnight,
Hi Wanderers,
That's tough ! Brand new tyre too.

Anyway yes, some of the Fortuners have reported this issue.
But normally a deft, hard kick or two on top of the tyre usually loosens the same. Have not seen anyone hammering the hub.
And please don't move the vehicle even by a few MMs without the lugnuts. Asking for a terribly expensive disaster. I am surprised that a Toyota bloke (?) suggested this option.

What I would suggest once you are back - is to remove the hub ornament and remove the lug nuts, give the hub area a good spray of WD40/Zorrik 88 or a bit of oil lathering - front and rear portions - and then proceed with delivering a few kicks on top of the tyre. It should work.

Good luck !

Last edited by Guderian : 14th July 2014 at 17:18.
Old 14th July 2014, 18:08   #2063
BHPian

Quote:
...normally a deft, hard kick or two on top of the tyre usually loosens the same.
From personal experience, I'd expect Herr Guderian's advice to work.

Few months ago, the rear right tire on my vehicle had deflated and try as I might, nothing would dislodge the tire from the hub. I ended up calling Toyota Roadside assistance.

Picture this - The car is in the front of my house. The lug nuts on the rear right wheel are removed. The stepney is nearby, ready to be swapped in once this tire is dislodged. And sweaty me, who's wrestled for 20 minutes trying to dislodge the tire, standing under a tree catching my breath. Some neighbors and my family members were watching the show so far as it was a Saturday mid morning. In comes the Toyota Roadside Assistance guy. Steps down from his moped. Sizes up the situation in seconds. Brings up his right leg into a kungfu posture, and delivers two quick kicks to the top of the tyre and off it comes! My son gives a mischievious smile and tells me that I need to start gym to get some energy. Everyone explodes laughing
RoadFiend is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 08:18   #2064
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadFiend View Post
Brings up his right leg into a kungfu posture, and delivers two quick kicks to the top of the tyre and off it comes! My son gives a mischievious smile and tells me that I need to start gym to get some energy.
See how concerned Toyota is about our health ?

And so what are a few micro-MMs of clearance and tolerance as compared to your health and general well being I ask you ?
And inbetween kicking & changing tyres do a few reps of over shoulder lifts and bicep curls and watch yourself developing some rippling muscles !

So Wanderers now you know what's to be done once you are back. Nothing to get worried about.
Worse - ask the Toyota Roadside Assist to come to your place and do the needful. But then the downside of that is that you don't develop no muscles.
Old 15th July 2014, 21:22   #2065
BHPian

Quote:
Anyway yes, some of the Fortuners have reported this issue.
But normally a deft, hard kick or two on top of the tyre usually loosens the same. Have not seen anyone hammering the hub.
Not only Fortuners, I have had the same experience with my Innova and once with my Etios. The procedure suggested by Herr Guderian works perfectly.
Another method for people not interested in acrobatics will be a "deft" hand hit on the tyre and then another hit diagonally opposite to the first "hit". This helps to loosen the tyre from the hub. If it still difficult to remove the tyre, then try hitting the tyre from the inside end (from the axle side) towards outside. I have seen this being done on some Innovas in the service shop floor.

My two cents of advise would be "NEVER HAMMER THE HUB" unless you want to damage the alloy wheel disc.

Regards,

Samish
samish_g is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2014, 13:16   #2066
BHPian

I have a 2010 fortuner and sadly the door hinges and some nuts have started rusting,I can also observe rust on the front bumper bracket also.I am really worried about this problem can someone please suggest me a fix.

Thanks&Regards
KN
Old 21st July 2014, 08:14   #2067
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kn09 View Post
I have a 2010 fortuner and sadly the door hinges and some nuts have started rusting,I can also observe rust on the front bumper bracket also...
Hi KN,
I note that you are from Mumbai - and rust here on vehicles is rather common. Especially the nuts and bolts which generally are from third party vendors and are of inferior quality in most of the auto brands.
Though I am a little suprised about the door hinges.

What I would suggest as an immediate step is to get the suspected areas like door hinges etc touched up/hand brushed at the ASC or the nearest car painter. As far as the bumper is concerned - have the bumper removed and check the extent of the spread of rust and have them to touch up the brackets or replace them if required.

Have you noticed the rust only now or has this been around for some time ?

Do you park your vehicle under a tree or at a drippy place ? If so then time to change the spot. Also look at getting a vehicle cover.
Old 21st July 2014, 09:17   #2068
BHPian

Quote:
Hi KN,
I note that you are from Mumbai - and rust here on vehicles is rather common. Especially the nuts and bolts which generally are from third party vendors and are of inferior quality in most of the auto brands.
Though I am a little suprised about the door hinges.

What I would suggest as an immediate step is to get the suspected areas like door hinges etc touched up/hand brushed at the ASC or the nearest car painter. As far as the bumper is concerned - have the bumper removed and check the extent of the spread of rust and have them to touch up the brackets or replace them if required.

Have you noticed the rust only now or has this been around for some time ?

Do you park your vehicle under a tree or at a drippy place ? If so then time to change the spot. Also look at getting a vehicle cover.
Thanks Guderian, I noticed the rust just last week. I park the car in a closed parking. Is painting a permanent fix? Can the ASC guys help me in identifying other areas of rusting (under the car, internals) and rectify these issues?
Have you also faced a similar problem?

Thanks & Regards
KN
Old 21st July 2014, 12:06   #2069
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kn09 View Post
Thanks Guderian, I noticed the rust just last week. I park the car in a closed parking. Is painting a permanent fix? Can the ASC guys help me in identifying other areas of rusting (under the car, internals) and rectify these issues?
Have you also faced a similar problem?

Thanks & Regards
KN
Hi KN,
If done properly the touch up can be a good fix...though may not be permanent - as nothing is permanent against rust. You'll need to keep an eye on it.
Yes, the ASC guys can help you with that - however the real issue to be tackled is the fact that if the rust spots are found to be more than normal - getting down to the reason for the same and tackling that effectively. Could be a reality if some points in the vehicle had received less that normal coverage of paint or usage pattern of the vehicle etc.

Try and go in for the anti-rust treatment for the underbody (Wurths).

No, I have not faced this issue as yet (touch wood !) - but yeah it can be expected in any vehicle.

Last edited by Guderian : 21st July 2014 at 12:08.
Old 21st July 2014, 14:19   #2070
BHPian

Quote:
Hi KN,
If done properly the touch up can be a good fix...though may not be permanent - as nothing is permanent against rust. You'll need to keep an eye on it.
Yes, the ASC guys can help you with that - however the real issue to be tackled is the fact that if the rust spots are found to be more than normal - getting down to the reason for the same and tackling that effectively. Could be a reality if some points in the vehicle had received less that normal coverage of paint or usage pattern of the vehicle etc.

Try and go in for the anti-rust treatment for the underbody (Wurths).

No, I have not faced this issue as yet (touch wood !) - but yeah it can be expected in any vehicle.
Thanks Guderian, I am visiting the service center this week and will let you know what they had to say about this.
Is the Wurths anti rust available at the service center?

Thanks&Regards
KN
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks