Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2014, 10:36   #2041

Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Dear Guderian,
Thank you for the info and will do as per your suggestions. Going forward will do the alignment at 10,000 intervals. I think, the last alignment caused this issue.

Once again thank you for helping out as usual. Anytime you are in HYD please let me know, if your time permits we will catch up.

Best regards,
Krishna
Old 14th May 2014, 20:36   #2042

Mod Note : There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by GTO : 14th May 2014 at 23:20.
krisgnair is offline   Received Infraction
Old 15th May 2014, 14:01   #2043

My apologies to the forum. Thank you GTO for pointing out
Old 2nd June 2014, 22:48   #2044
BHPian

Herr General!! Long time no hear!! Trust all is well.
How is Admiral doing?
Any plans of a southern sojourn in the near future?

Regards,

Samish
Old 4th June 2014, 10:28   #2045
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samish_g View Post
Herr General!! Long time no hear!! Trust all is well.
How is Admiral doing?
Any plans of a southern sojourn in the near future?

Regards,

Samish
Hey Samish,
You're right, it's been ages since I visited this place !

All's well by the grace of God. And Admiral is doing just fine (touchwood !) except for one little irritating matter.

Early this week my company shifted to a new location. And the new location has halved my commute distance. It now takes me about 15 minutes to reach office in the morning and about 25 minutes to get back home in the evening. Now that's something that most professionals dream of in a city like Mumbai. But this means that ol'boy Admiral does nothing much at all on weekdays and that is quite bothersome. And believe me it is like a Mumbai-Pune flight where the pilot starts the descent as soon as he takes off. And so as soon as the ol'boy is all warmed up we reach the office parking lot. And the reverse in the evening. How irksome is that !
And so need to really need to limber up and get Admiral to stretch his legs on the weekends.

And the long desired/awaited southern sojourn will take early next year.

Thank you asking.

Last edited by Guderian : 4th June 2014 at 10:29.
Old 4th June 2014, 10:39   #2046
Senior - BHPian

Is there any issue with diesels driving short distances like 5-10 kms daily. Like more carbon deposits on the injectors, clogging of turbo and so on and so forth.
Old 4th June 2014, 10:52   #2047
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
Is there any issue with diesels driving short distances like 5-10 kms daily. Like more carbon deposits on the injectors, clogging of turbo and so on and so forth.
Hi Lurker,
Not that I know of...

If anyone else knows anything about it please do let us know !
Old 4th June 2014, 22:56   #2048
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hey Samish,
1. All's well by the grace of God. And Admiral is doing just fine (touchwood !) except for one little irritating matter.

2. Early this week my company shifted to a new location. And the new location has halved my commute distance. It now takes me about 15 minutes to reach office in the morning and about 25 minutes to get back home in the evening. Now that's something that most professionals dream of in a city like Mumbai. But this means that ol'boy Admiral does nothing much at all on weekdays and that is quite bothersome. And believe me it is like a Mumbai-Pune flight where the pilot starts the descent as soon as he takes off. And so as soon as the ol'boy is all warmed up we reach the office parking lot. And the reverse in the evening. How irksome is that !
And so need to really need to limber up and get Admiral to stretch his legs on the weekends.

3. And the long desired/awaited southern sojourn will take early next year.

Thank you asking.
1. Glad to learn that all is well and Admiral is chugging (ok ok) marching ahead.

2. Please observe the positive side of the development. You can spend more time at home!!!

3. Eagerly waiting for the mega trip. Please PM the schedule (if you deem fit) and we can plan a meet and greet.

Regards,

Samish
Old 9th June 2014, 09:47   #2049
Senior - BHPian

Date: June 8, 2014.
Time: 1130 Hrs/11.30 am (approx)
Location: Eastern Express Higway, Thane. Marker buoy - On crossing Thane Thane entry point.
Event: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro recorded 55,000KMs/29697.62 Nautical Miles.

Days to 55K Clicks: 1137: Date of Commissioning - Feb 27, 2011.
Average Run/sailing Per Day: 48.37 KMs/26.11 NMs.

Total Fuel Consumed: 4705.56 Lts.
Overall FE: 11.69 KMPL.
Best Recorded FE Figure till date: 16.2 KMPL (By MID).
Total cost of fuel: Rs. 235842.9

No of Services/Inspections : 11.
Total Service Expenses: Rs. 31,884. Includes washing and alignment work done outside ASC.
Cost per Service: Rs. 2898.54
Brakes Upgradation Charges - Rs. 6541.00

Niggles: Nil.

Watchkeeper's Report: Ship running on an even keel.

End of Extract.
Guderian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th June 2014, 11:09   #2050
BHPian

Quote:
Date: June 8, 2014.
Time: 1130 Hrs/11.30 am (approx)
Location: Eastern Express Higway, Thane. Marker buoy - On crossing Thane Thane entry point.
Event: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro recorded 55,000KMs/29697.62 Nautical Miles.

Days to 55K Clicks: 1137: Date of Commissioning - Feb 27, 2011.
Average Run/sailing Per Day: 48.37 KMs/26.11 NMs.

Total Fuel Consumed: 4705.56 Lts.
Overall FE: 11.69 KMPL.
Best Recorded FE Figure till date: 16.2 KMPL (By MID).
Total cost of fuel: Rs. 235842.9

No of Services/Inspections : 11.
Total Service Expenses: Rs. 31,884. Includes washing and alignment work done outside ASC.
Cost per Service: Rs. 2898.54
Brakes Upgradation Charges - Rs. 6541.00

Niggles: Nil.

Watchkeeper's Report: Ship running on an even keel.

End of Extract.
That's an excellent report Admiral
It was nice to see the service expenses which are excellent considering a >25L cost vehicle with 4x4 capabilities
TorquePeedo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2014, 12:13   #2051
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorquePeedo View Post
That's an excellent report Admiral
It was nice to see the service expenses which are excellent considering a >25L cost vehicle with 4x4 capabilities
Thank you TorquePeedo. Yeah, some facts of life still are a wonder to me even at this late stage in life ! And hope it continues this way - touch wood !

Quote:
Originally Posted by samish_g View Post

2. Please observe the positive side of the development. You can spend more time at home!!!

3. Eagerly waiting for the mega trip. Please PM the schedule (if you deem fit) and we can plan a meet and greet.
Hi Samish,

2. They are indeed deeply worried about that ! Not a pleasant prospect according to them.

3. Sure will. Look forward to it.
Old 16th June 2014, 15:03   #2052
Senior - BHPian

Mr. Sparks !

Going by the scene below readers who are familiar with Admiral's thread would state (and with a groan) another routine Sunday cleaning described in mind numbing boring details. Close, quite close.

Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc03946.jpg

Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc03953.jpg

Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc03954.jpg

Notice the change ? Take a closer look. Red's turned green. And thereby hangs a tale.

Last week, Thursday early morning, saw me all suited and booted (out by the wife, from home), all ready for another day of rat race, said a cheery hello to Admiral, sat and cranked up as usual. A dull groan. And the engine doesn't fire up. Tried couple of times. Nada. No go. Checked some of the vitals, saw all the lights etc coming on and thought to myself - battery of course. But then the odd fear gnawed at the brain. What if one of the wires was chewed up by a rat ? What if the alternator had picked up an alternate assignment and didn't want to work with me anymore ? What if...

Anyway went back home, called Toyota helpline who directed me to the local help line. Spoke to a bloke and he said that cavalry would come to the rescue by 9.15 am.

And bang on time (impressed, very impressed) I receive a call from the parking area that the help van had arrived. A very polite grease monkey jumped out from a Maruti van and after the initial pleasantries was taken along with the van to Admiral. He looked around tried cranking. No go. Did the mandatory checks of the battery and mentioned that the battery could be a goner as there was no pulse (the specific gravity reading wasn't showing anything healthy) or pressure.

And then he put in the service battery and cranked. Lo & behold and much to my relief Admiral growled to life. And he ( the grease monkey) then told me that we could drive to the ASC and have the battery changed there. But then I had other ideas. Put old Mr Sparks into the passenger cabin.

I asked the Toyotawallah to drive behind me and went across to my FNB - Friendly Neighbourhood Batterywallah. Who was up bright and early and grinning at me like a Cheshire cat. But a real friendly bloke ( the owner) whose place I had been frequenting for tyre repairs etc.

He got the battery boy to check the old Exide. And the battery boy (who insists on speaking in English) stated - "One dead in the cell." And I asked the owner, standing next to him, whether there was a custodial death. He smiled and checked again with the specific gravity bulb - no reading and dark mucky acid floated up.

And so after 3 years and 4 months Mr Sparks, Exide by birth, was truly dead. Nothing could be done about it. Bid him a silent goodbye and started discussions on the new Mr Sparks.

Got myself this:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc03955.jpg

And here are the details of the new kid on the block:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc03948.jpg

All connections checked, rechecked, terminals coated with P Jelly and engine cranked. Admiral burst into a throaty song.

Base cost - Rs. 6,500/-
Old battery discount - Rs. 1400/-
Additional friendly neighbourhood discount - Rs. 250/-

Final cost - Rs. 4850/-

The Toyotawallah didn't ask for any money but anyway tipped him Rs. 150/- for services so valiantly rendered.

And thank God this didn't happen on the road or some place I had driven to. And thankfully the change happened just before rains hit this part of the world.

Funny thing is that the same thing happened in my old ride, the Scorpio CRDe. Replaced the OE Exide with Amaron which ran till the time it was with me.

And now long live Mr Sparks !

And someone close who came from stateside got me the exact shade of paint pen for Admiral. The exact shade was pointed out to me by samish_g - offline. Thank you Samish. Now the old shade matches all the plastic bits and the new pen matches the metal skin.

Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc03968.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc03969.jpg

And Sunday saw the first showers of monsoon hitting us.

Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc03959.jpg

And Admiral all ready for it.
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc03961.jpg

And found that Admiral had turned eco friendly not only in the colour of the battery - but also in other ways.
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc03976.jpg

Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc03977.jpg

Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc03979.jpg

Aloha !

Last edited by Guderian : 16th June 2014 at 15:32.
Guderian is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th June 2014, 16:19   #2053
BHPian

The same thing happened to my Dad one year back. Sat in the car to go to office, just a krr sound. I then called the Toyota Guy he came and replaced the battery I am on my second set of Exide. The first one lasted two and a half years. Don't know about this set.

Same thing happened with my friend's Outlander he called the service helpline and explained to them his situation the lady just said we will get back to you on this, till this date no reply!
Toyota Rocks!
dean5545 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2014, 09:13   #2054
BHPian

The Toyota Fortuner is my dream-car. I absolutely loved the information, pictures and other things you have posted on this vehicle here. Makes me want to buy one at the earliest possible too. Anyway, God-willing I too should be a proud-owner of this beautiful beast of an SUV sooner than later.

Last edited by GTO : 18th June 2014 at 15:46. Reason: Please avoid using acronyms like T-Fort and use the full name of the car to avoid confusion. Thanks!
Gentle Giant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2014, 20:57   #2055
BHPian

Quote:
Mr. Sparks !

1) Notice the change ? Take a closer look. Red's turned green. And thereby hangs a tale.

2) And so after 3 years and 4 months Mr Sparks, Exide by birth, was truly dead.

3) Final cost - Rs. 4850/-

4) And someone close who came from stateside got me the exact shade of paint pen for Admiral. The exact shade was pointed out to me by samish_g - offline. Thank you Samish. Now the old shade matches all the plastic bits and the new pen matches the metal skin.

5) And found that Admiral had turned eco friendly not only in the colour of the battery - but also in other ways.

Aloha !
Good Evening General!! Nice to see a posting after a long time.

1) Like you too, my visits to these parts were limited for the last couple of weeks. So as soon as I observed the "GREEN" Mr. Sparks, I thought I had missed some updates. Relieved to learn that it was not the case. Long live Mr. Sparks!!!

2) A life of 3 years 4 months for an OE battery is maybe a notch below average (this is purely my personal opinion). Methinks, a 4 year life is average. However, it depends on the traffic conditions among other factors. Do you keep the headlamps switched on while waiting at a traffic signal or start the vehicle with any of the accessories (audio etc.) on?

3) A very very good bargain indeed.

4) Feels good to be of help to General Guderian and Admiral Togo.

5) Yes, with 5th June celebrated as World Environment Day, could not have come at a better time.

Regards,

Samish
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks