Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2013, 14:59   #1906
BHPian

Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hi imp!
That's going to be rather unfeasible (sand bags or other ballast materials) & I don't think it is going to make much of a difference to the ride quality. Though I do feel that the ride Q of the Fortuner is rather good, as I like the stiff suspension set up. But I guess that is something of personal preference.
Would suggest you look at the Pajero Sport as well in addition to Santa/Banta Fe...
Do let us know of the outcome and your experiences.
I am actually test driving the Paj this Sunday. We tend to prefer the stiffer ride of EU cars, however, from all reports, the Fortuner is very uncomfortable for middle row passengers. Is this true? There is a Tein suspension upgrade, but it is quite expensive at 1,50,000 INR.
Old 8th August 2013, 15:11   #1907
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
I am actually test driving the Paj this Sunday. We tend to prefer the stiffer ride of EU cars, however, from all reports, the Fortuner is very uncomfortable for middle row passengers. Is this true? There is a Tein suspension upgrade, but it is quite expensive at 1,50,000 INR.
Not to my mind. However you need to test drive the Fortuner and have someone else to drive & check out the middle row comfort yourself before coming to a conclusion.
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the Pajero Sport.
Old 8th August 2013, 15:47   #1908
BHPian

Quote:
Not to my mind. However you need to test drive the Fortuner and have someone else to drive & check out the middle row comfort yourself before coming to a conclusion.
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the Pajero Sport.
Problem is we have driven the Fortuner and it is a problem for us. That is why I am asking about the suspension! (do keep in mind we own an Innova that has been with us for a very comfortable, albeit extremely boring 1.5 lac kilometers)

Last edited by imp! : 8th August 2013 at 16:14.
Old 8th August 2013, 18:55   #1909
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Problem is we have driven the Fortuner and it is a problem for us. That is why I am asking about the suspension! (do keep in mind we own an Innova that has been with us for a very comfortable, albeit extremely boring 1.5 lac kilometers)
Ah well, if you have already test driven the Fortuner (which wasn't clear from your earlier posts) and find that as a problem then you need to look at some other vehicle. No matter what others feel about the centre row comfort, your problem will stay as it is something of a personal experience and perception as mentioned earlier.

Last edited by Guderian : 8th August 2013 at 18:57.
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2013, 19:53   #1910
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Problem is we have driven the Fortuner and it is a problem for us.
Then there is no sense flogging a dead horse. If you don't like a vehicle, you don't. I suggest you look elsewhere because you will never be happy in the end. But personally for me, Fortuner is such a brand and model and has got so many hidden benefits that eventually you might feel you have missed out on something after having purchased something else in this category.
dkaile is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2013, 10:36   #1911
BHPian

Quote:

No matter what others feel about the centre row comfort, your problem will stay as it is something of a personal experience and perception as mentioned earlier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Then there is no sense flogging a dead horse. If you don't like a vehicle, you don't. I suggest you look elsewhere because you will never be happy in the end.
We are looking at the Paj Sport and the Santa Fe as well. I don't know if we can wait for the Fluidic Santa Fe anymore, I also need a car that can fit 3 in the middle row, which may leave only the Fortuner (which not a comfortable 3 abreast for the middle row car); so we may have no choice but to buy the Fortuner. Hopefully things become clearer after another round of test drives this weekend.
Old 10th August 2013, 14:06   #1912
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
P.S. I had to replace my right side mirror after some idiot bumped into it. It cost me 17K all inclusive!!
You should have once visited JC road galli's where i have seen Fortuner mirrors selling for 1/2 the price of showroom. They claim that they either import it OR they get mirrors with very minor snags which are discarded by toyota quality dept (i had seen one mirror with indicators on it and i was quoted 8K for it and this was when i still did not have a fortuner and had gone for my scorpio mirror replacement)
yaji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2013, 22:31   #1913
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi HG,
Apologies for butting in on your ownership thread, but I need a very serious question answered - do your, and your friends', Fortuners have a Torsen limited slip centre differential or not? Can you folks help us identify the transfer cases and centre differentials of the various models of Fortuners amongst yourselves, by photographing them?

Also, do any of you have a India-specific Fortuner workshop repair manual and / or parts catalogue?

The discussion in progress can be viewed at this link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...ml#post3217435.

Thanks in advance!
Old 28th August 2013, 20:23   #1914
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guderian,

With many thanks to you and your details on this lovely thread/topic, I want to inform you first that I have booked a super white Fortuner, 4X4 MT and am assigned the Frame #MBJXXXX510503XXXX~0813.

I will be taking the delivery on 8th September in Hyderabad. I have advanced by return to India to have my children fall into the Indian school schedule and will be reaching India on 7th evening. I will try to sleep that night before I take the delivery of the new BOSS in white

I guess this will be my 1000th post on the wonderful forum of TBHP and am very happy that it coincides with this happy news

Mods: My apologies if I have gone OT, kindly accomodate.

Last edited by getsurya : 28th August 2013 at 20:25.
Old 29th August 2013, 09:35   #1915
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Hi Guderian,

With many thanks to you and your details on this lovely thread/topic, I want to inform you first that I have booked a super white Fortuner, 4X4 MT and am assigned the Frame #MBJXXXX510503XXXX~0813.

I will be taking the delivery on 8th September in Hyderabad. I have advanced by return to India to have my children fall into the Indian school schedule and will be reaching India on 7th evening. I will try to sleep that night before I take the delivery of the new BOSS in white

I guess this will be my 1000th post on the wonderful forum of TBHP and am very happy that it coincides with this happy news

Mods: My apologies if I have gone OT, kindly accomodate.
Congratulations, for booking the Fortuner and for your 1000th post!

Great that you went for the 4X4 - the only one worth having, IMO
nilanjanray is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2013, 10:17   #1916
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guderian,

Congratulations!! and I agree with Nilanjan, nothing like the 4*4 Looking forward to your ownership report and experiences.
venkat_iyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2013, 21:40   #1917
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations, for booking the Fortuner and for your 1000th post!

Great that you went for the 4X4 - the only one worth having, IMO
Quote:
Congratulations!! and I agree with Nilanjan, nothing like the 4*4 Looking forward to your ownership report and experiences.
Hi Nilanjan & Venkat, Many thanks for your warm wishes.

Guderian, both of you, dkaile, Manuuj, Bibin, Kedar, Ahmed & GTO are the people I have to thank for the decision on the Toyota Fortuner. Having driven two versions of Scorpios for 8-10 years(before US stint), it was logical for me to move to a Fortuner.

It had to be a 4X4 to ensure that I have long term loyalty with the ride
getsurya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2013, 18:14   #1918

Dear All,

It's a very wonderful thread on Fortuner and I follow this regularly. Thank you to all the veterans who are providing so much insight about this vehicle.

Do anyone know how to adjust the headlight direction/height of a Fortuner. I have tried the internal adjustment which is not helping out. Apparently the focus of my headlights are very high, and rather than focusing on the roads its over to the overhead signboards and skies. I would like to do it myself if possible because taking to the showroom is really cumbersome.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by krisgnair : 4th September 2013 at 18:19.
Old 14th September 2013, 14:58   #1919
Senior - BHPian

What ho !

And it has been ages since since I wandered about around these parts. A soporific combination of general laziness, work (or at least the pretension of !) and climate induced lethargy was the cause I suppose...

Good to be back. And with a reason. A brief report on Admiral's 45K servicing - took it a little early at 44.6 K.
What made it special was that had another TBHPian and Fortuner owner - Ahmed and his Fortuner Megalodon joining in for the service - 30K in his case. And Ahmed had driven in all the way from Aurangabad for the servicing.

Two gleaming Silver Fortuners reporting for servicing saaah !
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc02476001.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc02477.jpg

As always Admiral is presented with a Guard of Honour by a LC 200. This time in a gleaming white uniform.
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc02471.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc02472.jpg

Ahmed delighted.
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc02474.jpg

Nothing major to report as a complaint, as far as Admiral was concerned.
Except that there was a bit of a WD40 spraying required on the front left side door light switch which once in a way refused to cajole the cabin light to come on and perform its duties. It was removed and 'spffffed' with a can of 'spfff' and all was/is well. Wurths, I think, the spray solution was...

- Brakes cleaned.
- Air filter cleaned.
- Brake oil topped.
- All electricals, mechanical stuff etc checked.
- Doors settings done.

And it was all over in about 2 hours time. Didn't get the washing done as there was a long line up for washing. There were vehicles from the previous day and the washing line was short staffed due to the ongoing Ganpathy festival, what with all the GDWs having pushed off to their respective 'muluks'.

The Admiral was ready in a jiffy and so was Ahmed's Meggy after its 30K servicing. We went it by 9.00 am and were out by 11.30 am.
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc02483.jpg

And now for the bill (all inclusive of taxes & in INR.):

- Front disc brake cleaning - 269.66.
- Rear Brake cleaning - 449.44.
- 45K KMs Service inspection & checks - 820.23.
- Tax - 169.33.
Total - 1539.00

And we stood on the shopfloor throughout to check each others vehicles.
Esp the underside !

And also got another point cleared - one which has been vexing some of the TBHPians.
Caught hold of the Chief Technician and asked him about the central differential system and also requested him to get the thick workshop manual. He got the manual and informed us that the Toyota Fortuner 4X4 has a Torsen LSD.
He then proceeded to show us the manual which read:
" Centre Differential Gear Type - Torsen 2 LSD."
Checked the underbellies of the two Fortuners and found that the TCs/centre diff units were exactly the same as well.

And so that's that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Also, do any of you have a India-specific Fortuner workshop repair manual and / or parts catalogue?
Hi SS-T - As explained above. Though I regret responding a little too late !

Quote:
With many thanks to you and your details on this lovely thread/topic, I want to inform you first that I have booked a super white Fortuner...
Splendid news indeed Surya. Eagerly awaiting the new entrant to the band of brothers !

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisgnair View Post
It's a very wonderful thread on Fortuner and I follow this regularly...
Hi krisgnair, Sorry about the delayed response.
Yes the headlight beams can be adjusted easily. I was not aware of the same but my good friend Ahmed explained the process to me today at the ASC. However without snaps it's a wee bit difficult to explain. So what I'll do is to take a few snaps tomorrow morning as a part of the Sunday routine and shall try my best to explain it here. Should I fail in the endeavour of a lucid explanation - will request Ahmed to step in ! So tomorrow then hopefully...

Tally ho !

Last edited by Guderian : 14th September 2013 at 15:25.
Guderian is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th September 2013, 06:33   #1920
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisgnair View Post
Do anyone know how to adjust the headlight direction/height of a Fortuner...
Hi krisgnair,
OK first things first - what is the year of manufacture of your Fortuner ? As I realised/figured out this Sunday there is quite a bit of difference between the way you adjust the lateral focus beam of a Classic Fortuner and the 2012 facelifted Fortuner.
Since I have a Classic Fortuner shall show some snaps and try and explain the method on the classic and then describe the one on the Facelifted.
I must hasten to add here that I have not attempted the HL adjustments on Admiral.

Here is top view of headlight assemby on the Classic - left and right sides:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc02484.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc02487.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc02496.jpg

And to explain in detail of the right side HL assembly:

Here's the headlight point.
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc02491.jpg

Here's from L-R - HL point, adjustment knob & parking light point.
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc02497.jpg
Reversed in case of left side HL assembly.

And here is, what I presume to be, the beam adjuster (horizontal swing) of the Classic:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc02490.jpg

On checking saw that this adjust has a projection for receiving a 8mm spanner but it can easily be adjusted by hand as well.

*Needs to be carried out at dusk/night for best results !

I couldn't see any point for vertical adjustment so you'll have to rely on the manual HL (vertical) leveller/adjuster in the dashboard.

Coming to the facelifted Fortuner I guess the white adjuster knob would be missing because it doesn't have manual HL (vertical) leveller/adjuster as it has an automatic system. And in view of this, on the top of the assembly (see the first 3 snaps) on the black plastic portion on each side's HL assembly there are apertures (holes, if you please) with HL beam swing markings.
Somewhere at the bottom is a screw adjuster which needs to be manipulated to get the desired result Use a long Philips screwdriver to adjust the horizontal swing. Once again for the vertical beam swing I guess you'll have to rely on the automatic leveller.

Also check the owner's manual to see if anything is mentioned in it.

Try it out and let us know the outcome.

Aloha !

Last edited by Guderian : 17th September 2013 at 06:40.
Guderian is offline   (6) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks